Home
Seems kind of pricey... but still... What do you think?

http://www.thegunclaw.com/links.html
Looks like lots of baggage to haul around unless you're just gonna hunt your back yard.
Junque

Mike
Originally Posted by 6mm250
Junque

Mike

Is that french for fancy junk? smile
A Rube Goldberg device methinks.
Pure Genuis!!!

If about 100,000 suckers actually plunk down money for it.
Seems to me that there is an inverse reationship between the amount of experience someone has and how much of this kind of junk they want to carry.
I think that POI would be very different than from any normal shooting position.

Ernie
The value priced alternative

http://www.mtmcase-gard.com/products/shooting/hunting-products-sst.html
Actually, just the thing for the guy that's got it all.
better buy multiples... Locking a modest recoiler to a tripod is a great way to "adjust" the tripod. I picture something giving regularly.

Crap and far below "junque" status.
Them Alaska boys will be all over it! laugh Don't worry Art I was just kidding! I'll send ya some ground moose jerky as a peace offering! grin
yes, it is very important to grind the meat before you make jerky.

grin
Originally Posted by northern_dave
yes, it is very important to grind the meat before you make jerky.

grin

Wouldn't do much good to grind it after, now would it? grin
Let it warm up to room temp for a few days before spreading it out please... Ham and jerky should be green...
ick.

grin
Gives it flavor man! grin
I can't get that link to open fully.

I will tell you that that kinda' porky looking young man on the right side of the "Header" hasn't done much prone shooting,.....

what a panty waisted pathetic looking piece of "Junque" indeed.

"Rifle Claw" = "Vertical stringing inducer gizmo"

Idiots will buy it.

Now,....about that bridge I've recently reduced the price on
( includes toll booths, and hot blonde toll collectors in skimpy attire)

GTC
Do they make a version that clamps to the pickup window for the road hunters?
can't say if there is any value in it or not for certain.

certainly not for me and the way I hunt currently and what critters I hunt.

but am wondering about the prairie dog shooters, something I've never done but think would be a hoot. Would it work well in a dog town for you guys that get to partake of such events?
I'm sure the pickup window model is just about ready for sale to the general public. Like the tripod version, it too will reduce recoil by over 50%.
It's all the rage with some coues hunters here. Works as advertised, even allowing for youth hunters to take game at longish distance. Reliable sources swear by it and you really need the heavy manfrotto head. Lock it on a standing or laying animal and then anyone could get behind the gun and pull the trigger, as in youth hunter.

I make no judgements, I would not use one myself or even consider getting one but that's just me.

Kent
It might be useful for one-armed and disabled hunters.
Looks like some one is trying to shoot better with out practice to me
Looks like a PITA to me.

I want one of these:

[Linked Image]

I borrowed one once, not great for hunting I'd imagine, fantastic for 1000 yard prone.
No mossy oak camo? I'm not buying it!
Looks like a way to turn your rifle into a crew served weapon.
If it weighs more than Stoney Point Shooting Stix, I don't want it. Stoney Points don't come with a vise and weigh a couple ounces at the most.
Looks about as appealing to me as a Lead Sled with backpack straps..... laugh
Note that the Claw DOES NOT include the tripod. That's another $100+ for one that can handle the recoil.

from their instructions:

All that is needed to create the
"Ultimate Shooting System"
is a firearm and
camera tripod. Attaching The Claw takes mere seconds!
We recommend the highest quality tripod possible to maximize stability for
both glassing and shooting. If you do not have a tripod or are looking to
upgrade you can find our recommendations on our web site.
This is a unit I use on the sage rat safari's and it has proven to be a very good addition for the small caliber's. Standing or sitting, it holds the gun proper. It is not something I would ever use for big game but is ideal for varmit hunting.

[Linked Image]
Seems like a solution looking for a problem.
I have one and have used it extensively. It is perfect for those of us who carry a tripod when we hunt anyway. This summer, I was glassing a water hole from the next mountain over with my 15s on my carbon fiber tripod. I glassed up a lion. Since I already had my rifle out and a the Claw adjusted, I just snapped off the Binoculars and snapped on the rifle. I went from seeing the lion to shooting the lion in under 5 seconds at 400ish yards.

I took it prairie dog shooting this summer as well. While not a concrete BR, I was far more mobile and my son and I were about to shoot PDs out to 450 with it. This was in sagebrush so dogs were scattered and hard to find. The mobility of the claw made it a lot easier to get on them- sit in a lawn chair and shoot away.

For those of you who don't carry a tripod with you when you hunt, it's probably a very foreign concept to carry a rest like this too.

The Claw I have is machined from billet 6061 aluminum and is quite well engineered. They originally sold for $180 so $125 doesn't seem so bad.

It really shines when you mate it with a Bogen 701HDV tripod head as opposed to anything else I have seen. The long plate is more secure and allows for better balancing.

To me, it is no more of a gimmick than say, a climbng treestand, a pop-up blind, an adjustable shooting stick, a scent lok suit or what have you. I can remember when laser range finders were thought to be gimmicks.

My 16-year-old son shot his elk off my Claw this past fall at between 500-550 yds with his 308. Nailed it on his first shot. None of the other boys could hit theirs. They finally connected on some close ones but shot up a bunch of meat (75 yds) If it gives a kid a good experience, then use it!

Until you have tried one, don't count it out! The ultimate rest is the 701 plate mated directly to the bottom of the rifle stock- this eliminates the Claw and is steadier yet. You still have to carry the tripod though. I carry a Velbon El Carmagne 640. It has 4 leg sections and folds down quickly.

Fits nicely in my Badlands 2200 spotting scope pocket.

Here is one of my scouts shooting a 6" steel plate at 250 yds with a 223AI, he had never fired a rifle before. He never missed the plate!

[img:left][Linked Image][/img]

3-shot group off a tripod and Claw @ 500 yds with a Remington Mtn rifle. Just hand the plate on a barbed-wire fence and whang away. Makes checking rifle zeros very easy. Had the same POI as off my portable BR, which is only portable if you drive a pickup to the shooting spot!

[Linked Image]
Dennis,
Good synopsis of its use.

The Claw did require a sturdier tripod and head than the lightweight setup I was packing for coues. I had to ditch the 700 RC2 and use the 701 HDV for the more secure plate.

A set of Steady Stix under the rifle butt makes it very steady. That was the most accurate way I found when I tested it at 400 yards against sitting with Harris bipod, shooting stix, shooting tripod, atop regular photo/glassing tripod.

Doug
Thanks for the reports from folks who have used it or similar systems. Would it work with a Contender pistol?
Pretty much a useless gimmick that I would not clamp onto a piece of fine wood.
Think I'll stay with my $5 bamboo pole and rubber band shooting sticks.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Pretty much a useless gimmick that I would not clamp onto a piece of fine wood.

Pretty much what I would expect from someone who has never used one. I have been shooting long range off tripods for 15 years and this is the best "Gimmick" to come along in that time.

Like I posted before, if you don't normally carry a tripod when you hunt, it would be very foreign to you. Those of us in the Southwest that live and die by tripods benefit from them. I bet the guys back east and in brushy states think the Harris Bipod is gimmicky too. We use what works. This is a huge step up from a bipod.
Dennisinaz: From the quote above, you obviously have never hunted with me. I have no issue at all with bipods or tripods. When I'm after anything from 2 1/2 inch tall ground squirrels to 6 foot moose, the absolute first thought when sighting a critter is "where's a good rest?" I ALWAYS have a bipod and an external pack frame on my body. Neither unit has a bulkey trough that needs to be clamped to my rifle's firearm. With either one, I can rapidly be rock solid in a manner of seconds, and easily locked onto game out to around 500 yds. My bipod is useful either standing (6 4") or sitting, and it weighs about 1/2 lb. In the last year, I've passed around 6000 rnds across my bipod and pack frame. Most were at ground squirrels, but the pack frame was good for a 450 (GPSed distance) yd elk.

As posted in the web page add, that unit would require an additional gun bearer to pack it around. It's a $119 implement that is probably worth about 4 dollars. One is also stuck with the purchase of about a $200 tripod if he wants any sort of secure rest at all. In my book it's still expensive garbage that would receive a good laugh in our camps. We have tripods for birding and camera work far superior to and more expensive than those pictured, and there is no way I would pack them from 6,000 up to 10,000 feet 10 days in a row in elk country. Might be nice in a Texas deer stand or out road hunting, but even then, I'd have it installed out near the end of the forearm where it might be of some utility. One would be far ahead packing around a $30 bipod and $25 lawn chair.

Another note: A photo like that above could net me a hefty fine and have me drummed out of scout activities forever if the background revealed that we were shooting from a public road. It's OK if one is on deeded land and the road is not open to the public. A definite no no if it's a country, state, or federal right of way.
Not against the thing for shooting, but there is no way I would take it hunting. Unless you are hunting at your truck would you actually haul that around? What ever happened to marksmanship? I watch some of these hunting shows and see them flailing around trying to set up some sort of rest for shots inside 200 yds. With a sling you can get nearly rock steady from the kneeling position.
Was a private road on private property.

I have yet to see a bipod that works for a 6'4" standing shooter-especially one that weighs 1/2 pound. I have never hunted with you so I don't know how you hunt but I carry a carbon fiber tripod on about 75% of the hunts I go on. My daypack usually weighs about 30# depending on how much water I have to pack with me. You can't kill them if you can't find them. The Claw eliminate the need for a bipod so it is a wash weight-wise.

I will build my next rifle without a floor plate and incorporate a 701 compatible plate into it so I can use it on the tripod without the claw. The claw just makes it more veratile for using it with other rifles.

We have different hunting styles- no biggie.
I've found the claw to be very versatile and I'm quite happy with it.

Hunting in the Southwest is a little different proposition than what most are used to. As Dennis and Doug previously mentioned, most of us down here are already packing a tripod with big eyes for the majority of our hunting here in AZ. If you aren't packing a tripod on your hunts already, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Shots here tend to be long due to geography. The vital area of a Coues buck is no more than 8-9" in diameter. A solid rest is absolutely necessary to make clean kills on a regular basis at these distances.

I've packed a Harris bipod on my rifles for the past 6 years or so and I'm a big fan. However, I have missed out on more than a few opportunities that did not allow for a prone shot due to vegetation. Shooting sitting with a bipod fully extended, I am only comfortable shooting out to 300 yards or so.

I purchased the claw this past summer and have used it quite a bit and find myself really liking it and implementing it more and more. As far as steadiness goes, it is comparable to shooting prone off a bipod. For moving/multiple target it is very easy to move from target to target.

It is fantastic for young kids. The "crickett" rifle that I have for my kids is too big and heavy for both of my girls. With the claw, I can mount the rifle at their exact shoulder height and they can focus on sight picture and trigger pull instead of hefting the rifle. My 7 year old is quite proficient, and has no issues shooting my .223 off the claw as well.

I can now stand up on stands while calling varmints. Unlike a bipod, I can swivel 180 degrees with the claw on a tripod. Standing up allows me a much better view over the vegetation and I have a rock solid rest. My 10 year old nephew shot his first coyote @ 110 yards off the claw. There's no way we would have ever seen that dog had we been sitting on the ground.

I can sit in a lawn chair and pop P-dogs all day long. When I need to reset, I grab the chair and tripod and walk as far as I need to and plop back down and resume shooting. Its alot easier than moving a shooting table or truck and beats the heck out of laying down prone in the sand on a hot June day.

It works great set up in a portable ground blind as well. Just set the tripod up inside the blind and you've got a dead steady rest.

As Dennis already mentioned, I can go from glassing to shooting inside of 10 seconds while hunting Coues deer.

As far as weight is concerned, I just weighed my claw and bipod. The claw came in @ 14 oz vs 20 oz for the bipod.
The tripod/head combo weigh in right @ 5lbs.

Certainly not junk, just might not make sense for everybody here.

Goose

all they need is Billy Mays to hawk this foolish device. Oh, he's dead.
Maybe the Sham Wow guy as some extra time to devote to this.
Originally Posted by 1minute
My bipod is useful either standing (6 4") or sitting, and it weighs about 1/2 lb.

I'm curious about this bipod as well as I'm 6'5. Care to share any pics/info? I'm always curious to how others are doing it.

thx.

Goose
Dennis, I enjoyed your write up and the pictures of the claw in use. This is something that I have been looking at for awhile. I have young kids that I am trying to teach to shoot and the reason I would buy this (they are right handed but left eye dominant and presents a unique callenge). Unfortunately I can't justify spending the cash on the claw right now. You talked about attaching the 701 plate directly to the stock of the rifle. How would you do this? Would you just tap a 1/4 20 into the stock of your rifle. I cringe a little at this, but was curious if you had something figured out. Thanks
© 24hourcampfire