Home
Posted By: roundoak Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
Thought it would be interesting to hear firearm nicknames from others and why the name.

Davy Crockett had "Old Betsy"

Daniel Boone had "Old Tick Licker"

"Moose Tipper" is what my Ruger M77 TS 35 Whelen is known as. Shot a Canadian bull Moose from 75 yards and it tipped over sideways down a gravely bank. The hunting guide nicknamed the gun.

"Ma Bell" I gave my Ruger M77 TS 22/250V to my son a few years ago and one of his South Dakota hunting buddies nicknamed it "Ma Bell" because it really reached out and touched those Prairie Dogs.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
My old 62A I call "Winnie". Had a little Colt .25 I called Junior but he has a new home with a great lady.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
Carnivore.

[Linked Image]

Grim Reaper

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I don't have names for any of my rigs, except for one:

The Welcome Wagon

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Steve Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I've got a 458 Lott that I've called a few names.
Posted By: 257wby Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I got one of the earliest black shotguns. A browning BPS stalker when they were still wood stocks painted with a crinckle black paint. It was hell on waterfowl. My hunting partner nick named it "black death"...the name stuck.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
this one my friends call the beast a 500 linebaugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: firearms44 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
T/C Hawkens 50 cal is called Hawkeye. We have an understanding about brown on the ground.

Stevens 311 20ga SXS is called "piece of [bleep]" because the wood is ugly but blue is great. All the clear peeled off the wood. Plus ! it's stupid, it doesn't know how to miss. Dang thing hits every bird it sees.

Ken
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I have a prarie dog rifle I call "Black Death" for the way it wreaks havoc among the flea-bitten hordes.
Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I've got lil brother

Buc (acronym for brother's ugly cousin)

jungle fever

the death wand

and thumper

they're all rifles except for one shottie

made me realize I've never named a handgun, guess the intimacy is not as existant with those for me

dumb I guess to name em but I've named a few, the rest are anonymous

Posted By: 1akhunter Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
oops you asked for reasons behind name too

lil brother = I ain't bad but my lil brother is, 18 inch. 12 gauge with Pachymar Vindicator kit and sidesaddle

buc = the replacement for lil brother to dig wounded bears outa the alders, gives some better options for a bear moving away, with the penetration with hot loads doesn't give up much if any with a bear moving in. tis a customized .45/70 GG

jungle fever= the ugliest stock that resides on a NULA

the death wand= a 7 mag that was slimmed down to 7 lbs. 4 oz. scoped and slung ready to go, back in the day when she went on her diet that was pretty svelte, she was my sheep, bou, moose rifle till till jungle fever took up residence but at 5 lbs. 5 oz. scoped she makes the death wand seem more like a middle aged girl with some spread goin on

thumper= .338 Win mag, when the trigger gets pulled, something is gettin Thumped, be it critter, can, paper or if nada else at least my shoulder...grin
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
My old 30-30 is known around camp as 'Meatstick'.
Posted By: brooksrange Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
The Greatest Grim Reaper [Linked Image]
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
Y-F-P-O-S...

...all to often, as my eyes get dimmer... whistle
Posted By: KyWindageII Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
Lucretia Borgia A Browning Safari, heavy barrel .243 that was just as deadly as her namesake on groundhogs.

Dr. Wade A Remington custom shop model 7 Mannlicher .257 Roberts given to me by my best friend, Dr. Ray Wade, after I lost my Model 70 in a fire.

NULA My New Ultra Light Arms .338-06.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I have had a couple I called "SOB". wink

I saw a guy on a board recently calling his shotgun "shotty" eek Dont ask, dont tell? grin
308 Norma Mag that we simply call "Norma".

Rem 760 270 with steel buttplate we call "Widowmaker". For whatever reasons it delivers an ugly recoil.

Alan

A few favorites...

Elsie. For those who can't guess the obvious... an LC Smith in 16 gauge.

Black Mamba - 257 Wby Mag

Stealth Bomber - Savage Model 10 Predator Hunter, Mossy Oak brush cammo, including Leupold VX-L scope, in 22-250
Posted By: Aqualung Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
The Meat Gun - My Savage 99 - Uncle used to say about his rifle, "This here's the Meat Gun, Son". And I started calling my own rifle that.

Stainless Pig or "Piggie" - My Ruger SP101 - Because it's a stubby-snouted little beast that stainless.

El Guapo ("The Handsome One") - My 6" .41mag Ruger Blackhawk. Name was given to it by the previous owner since it has no bluing left on it. Looks like someone prepped it for a re-blue and never followed through.

Mail Order Bride - My International Harvester M1 Garand - It took 3 years total for me to get the rifle through the DCM. Long story with paperwork loss, warehouse movement, phone calls, and eventually a conversation with the director herself. The future Mrs. Aqualung gave it the moniker.

Warthog - My .44mag Super Blackhawk - Named after the A-10 Warthog because with the rubber grips and bulky no-gunsmith scope mount, the clean, attractive lines of the Blackhawk are now reduced to what the A-10 Warthog is, an ugly but effective ordnance-launching platform.

Aqualung
Posted By: RufusG Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
I have a 3-digit S/N Remington Model 31 I call God's Own Pumpgun (GOP for short). If you'd have the opportunity to rack the action, and even if you were very familiar with 31s, you'd know why.
Posted By: 700LH Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
Bout three decades ago I bought a 30-06, still use it almost every fall. Got a buddy that calls that gun "Killer", cause of all the critters that have succumbed to it.

Lived three years in San Bernrdino in the late 80's, during the height of the Bloods/Crips BS. Murder and crime rates were atrocious.
Carried a Colt Detective Special just about everywhere I went in a vehicle. Kept it in a tin box, usually laying on the seat next to me, that shortbread had originally came in. Soon that gun became known as "Shortbreads". We could talk about it, ("Hey dId you grab Shortbreads? etc.) in front of people and no one had a clue what you were talking about.
Posted By: the_shootist Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
50 cal Traditions flintlock = Ole Thunder, cause with 110 gr of FFg and a 540 gr Buffalo Bullet, it roars like thunder, kicks like thunder and kills like lightning.
Posted By: ingwe Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/07/10
This one....223 we cobbled together..is called the "Business Rifle"

If you absolutely, positively want to see dead stuff...any size...put it in front of this gun.... grin

[Linked Image]

Ingwe
Posted By: Azshooter Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
My friend's lightweight side by side 20 Ga he uses for quail hunting is called "final solution".
Posted By: Bristoe Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
"Imbel"ished

[Linked Image]
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
WHAT!! No chair??

Had a 7600 carbine 30-06. "Lucky" for obvious reasons.Sold it bad,bad mistake.
Posted By: bull Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I've got a Keith Stegall built 25-06 on a pre64 action that is called " Sweetness " . After my buddy saw the itty-bitty groups it shoots with 100 grain Hornadys he said SWEEEET. The name stuck.
Posted By: Ruger270man Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
Sweet Sally= 20 gauge Savage 220f
Big Red = 30-06 Remington 760 Carbine
Death Inc.= 12 gauge Remington 1100
Black Widow= 257 Weatherby
Posted By: Colorado1135 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I have a few I've named
"the mule" is an old single shot 16 ga with hollow plastic stock, kicks like a mule

my ruger 243 has been "ol reliable" for as long as I've had her

and this is Howie, because of the brake on him
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Aileinduinn Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I had a beat up 870 that had been krylon painted OD green that rarely missed anything I pointed it at. I called it "Lucky".

I have a Winchester model 74, .22 LR that is an absolute one hole gun. I call it "Ace".
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
My 10/22 Ruger/Kidd I cal "gopher getter" which I hope will bloodied this year at the Fire Jamboree. If I can't do I'm sure Elkhunter or somebody will do it.

My .308 I call the "Widow Maker Special" because the red and black laminated stock that came from the stock maker was named "Black Widow". Hope to have a make over for the .308 but it'll stay the "Widow Maker Special". Hope to go kill PD's is a couple of years if the eyes hold up.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
Ingwe, I like your 223 and the way it takes care of business. I am wondering how I get that mojo to rub off on my 22/250. I do not think reduced loads is the answer.

The 22/250 is a recent purchase and it has only accounted for a few coyotes (one black one)this winter so it really has not earned a reputation yet. I am hopeful that some day it will be known as "Git r Done"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: croldfort Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
All of my family and close friends know that whatever hand gun for defense in my home or vehicle is known as "Baby". And they refer to it as that.
Posted By: HuntKY Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
my 6mm Rem = "Flat and Happy"

Posted By: Seafire Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I call all my guns one word: MINE..
Posted By: crittergetter Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I have THE CRITTER GETTER engraved on all of my custom rifles.
Posted By: gwindrider1 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
Only two; a CZ .458 I named "Gunzilla", and my M1A is "Baby"!
Posted By: bamaguy Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I call my smith&wesson ar15 justin. As in "just in case".
Posted By: Karnis Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
My .257 Wby is "The Dragon". Buds 7 Rem Mag is "Meat & Taters". smile
Posted By: coyotewallace Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
I have a couple...yardsale and furflyer
Posted By: exbiologist Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
This is Miss America, my .264 because she's a high maintenance b!tch. But when she's behaving, I dearly love her for both looks and performance.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Then there's the Green Iron Fist, which I sold a couple months ago to someone here on the fire. A 6.5 pound .358 Norma (scoped with a 3-9x40 she was 7lbs 2 oz).
[Linked Image]
Posted By: shortside Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/08/10
A mid-weight 375 magnum - "punishing b@stard" - it kills at one end and wounds on the other!
A tikka T-3, "tool"...
A model 88 win, "meat in the pot"

Posted By: Mr_TooDogs Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
I've a 24" cheapo flat top AR I call coocksucker all the time. Never did like that rifle much. Gonna sell the coocksucker.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Sweet little Mod 7, 260. Answers to Ruby smile [Linked Image]
Posted By: shedhorn82 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
This is my "meat ax" my dad bought me this gun and I love it. I will own it untill my oldest son is ready for it. Savage 111 30-06

[Linked Image]
Posted By: stray round Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Ruby is a cutie!
Posted By: GeoW Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Originally Posted by stray round
Ruby is a cutie!

She's easy too smile
Thanks,
g
Posted By: huntsman22 Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
I have a pair of painted ladies. The first sister is a sexy, slender, shootin' some beach. Meet Miss Kimber-ly, my Montana in 260......

[Linked Image]

The second painted lady-of-the-evening is the sis to Miss Kim. She's a fun luvin' fat chick, that loves to give acrobatic lessons to little critters. This is Miss Karo-line. Sweeter than karo syrup, and shoots on a laser-like line. Ruger Vt in 204 with a sporter handle.....

[Linked Image]

I got others, buy they aren't slutty like this pair.......Don
Posted By: WyoJoe Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
I named my .375 H&H "El Troubador" after a friend's rifle (also a .375). When he sings the critters don't like the music.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
.257 Weatherby,aka WidowMaker...name is self explanatory
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
That looks like a Bell & Carlson stock.
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Dude it's a McMillan Edge
Posted By: clintsfolly Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
my 700 rem 280 got named Meatstick and my 110 savage 450marlin is now called Meatmasher. when they talk thing die or meat happens Clint
Posted By: 340boy Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Glock 19-"My Precious."

grin
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge
Dude it's a McMillan Edge

Looks good too.
Posted By: roundoak Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/09/10
Great nicknames and pictures. These two rifles started this thread and they want their photo op.

"Ma Bell" 22/250 Ruger M77V flat-dog leg bolt on its 3rd bbl.

[Linked Image]

"Moose Tipper" 35 Whelen M77

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Badley Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/10/10
MRI 300 Win Mag - Bad Medicine

Kimber Montana 7mm-08 - Dr's Orders, Bought it from one of my mentors who was Professor of Biology

My Smolt - Harry

Winchester Model 70 270 - Punner, name given by my son when he was 3.
Posted By: montanabadger Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/10/10
My 7 SAUM is named Farah, I tease my wife by telling her that I am sneaking off into the hills with Farah.
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/10/10
Originally Posted by Karnis
My .257 Wby is "The Dragon". Buds 7 Rem Mag is "Meat & Taters". smile

My 7 Rem. Mag. is "Meat & Taters". Bud's .257 Wby. is "The Dragon". grin
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Firearm Nicknames??? - 02/10/10

I call my Hi-Point pistol, "POS" ...
© 24hourcampfire