Home
Posted By: Redneck Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
On Rush: first time in 14 years - frozen over..

What happened? Algore shut his mouth for a couple days??
Posted By: bender Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
My cousin mentioned that last week (I'm from Erie). Sure is getting tougher to go along with this warmist foolishness. The sad truth is, the lemmings WILL go over the cliff. They refuse to aknowledge any facts that get in the way of the preconcieved environmental guilt of the evil white American.
Posted By: RWE Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Originally Posted by bender
The sad truth is, the lemmings WILL go over the cliff.

They may go over the cliff, but the lake at the bottom is frozen....
+1 !!
. The sad truth is, the lemmings WILL go over the cliff. They refuse to aknowledge any facts that get in the way of the preconcieved environmental guilt of the evil white American. [/quote]

I really could care less that they go over the cliff. The problem is that they want to take us with them.
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
I grew up in Westfield NY <about 30 miles from Erie PA> I remember it freezing over back in the 70's... only about a 30 mile walk to Canada from my old home town now...

Really glad none of my high school buddies (or especially myself) ever got drunk enough to try that challenge.

The ice pressure ridges that build up on that lake are amazing... looks like the Arctic.
We used to make beer runs to Westfield in H.S.! Those ice dunes are often hollow, too. Every year a few people get the Lake Erie Darwin award.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Well look AL Gore has got this little side business in carbon credits. You can only trade thru him. Now his business plan is pretty good, where its problematic for me is that you give him money for the Credits, the credits are nothing to begin with they are what Al Gore says they are and what ever the value of them is what he says it is and you are stupid enough to buy said credits. Its a Ponzi scheme on a massive scale, only Social Security would be bigger, maybe not if ever fool on the planet buys it to it. This whole thing is about Al Gore becoming a Billion Aire several times over for selling nothing. It would be like if everybody in America, sent me 0ne Dollar for the super secret to happyness once a week. 305 million people do that I have 305 million dollars, they do that once a week for say 8 years, we would not have to worry about trophy fees ever again. This is what Al Gore is really up to, get the whole world to send him a buck or two a week for as long as he can get them to do it. Hell in four years AL Gore could upgrade his G-II for a G-V.
Posted By: ruffcutt Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Carbon credits is nothing more than a scheme for millionairess to try and become billionaires.
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Originally Posted by Redneck

What happened? Algore shut his mouth for a couple days??

I think it is all the ex-wives up there that froze Lake erie over. shocked
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
But, but, the polar bears are drowning!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
You guys are confusing weather with climate...but your minds are made up.
You're confusing false data with actual data. Professor Jones of East Anglia now tells us there has been NO global warming for the past 15 years. This is in stark contrast to his statements before e-mails were discovered that documented data manipulation and flawed computer models. Do you believe his statements before it was discovered he was lying, or after? There's a tough one Yogi.....
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Lets see now....iirc last time Lake Erie was froze over was 1977.............

I remember that year...anybody else?
Posted By: mcknight77 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Originally Posted by mudhen

"The sun so hot, we froze to death, Suzanna don't you cry."
Just going into Navy boot camp. My first son was less than a year old, and the wife was snowed on pretty good in Boston, that year.
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
I remember my dad and us going in to his work in Buffalo NY to pick up his paycheck.....we got stranded at his wrokplace for a few days.

As a little 8 yr old kid, it was fun.
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I grew up in Westfield NY <about 30 miles from Erie PA> I remember it freezing over back in the 70's... only about a 30 mile walk to Canada from my old home town now...

Really glad none of my high school buddies (or especially myself) ever got drunk enough to try that challenge.

The ice pressure ridges that build up on that lake are amazing... looks like the Arctic.

There was a time that groups would get together and ice skate all the way over to Canada......
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/16/10
Originally Posted by Tom264

Oh yeah! We built my dad's house in the winter of 76-77. Shoveled a foot of snow off the deck most mornings. Cold as all heck, wind was fierce. Drove my car into a snow covered ditch on a back road with my girl friend Beverly (OK, I was preoccupied) Nasty winter

Trapping sucked that year, couldn't get to creeks because they were frozen over too thick. I never saw a quail in my area again after that year.

Winter 77-78 was almost as bad, not as bad as I remember, but then we were'nt building a house in it. Thye say 78-79 was bad after january, I don't know, I was on a beach in GUAM.
Originally Posted by crosshair

Oh yeah! We built my dad's house in the winter of 76-77. Shoveled a foot of snow off the deck most mornings. Cold as all heck, wind was fierce. Drove my car into a snow covered ditch on a back road with my girl friend Beverly (OK, I was preoccupied) Nasty winter

If you remember 1977, and know anything at all about western NY....then you remember the Blizzard of '77.

THAT, was a storm......
Posted By: Lawdwaz Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Seems as though the ice isn't too thick. A couple guys had to be rescued today. They are safe but they lost there 'wheelers.

http://www.wben.com/Two-Men-Rescued-from-Icy-Lake-Erie-Waters/6374271
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10

Oh sure, Elvis died that year, right before(or after?) I was born!
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I took a picture of one of my college roommates standing on top of a back road snow bank in 1977.... looking down at the power lines...

I also remember you PA guys driving the 7 miles from the PA line to the Westfield liquor stores and bars... NY drinking age was still 18 back then and PA was 21.... The roads would be littered with PA cars driven into ditches... kind of amazing any of you guys survivedwhistle
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I remeber digging lumber out of the snow, the entire bunk burried. We had to use the ractor to plow out so we could work. Seems like we did snow half the day and worked on the house the other half. That was even after it stopped snowing, just digging out drifts.

I remember a semi got stuck in the snow on RT 60, out in the open. It was burried so it couldn't be seen. They dug that highway out with a front end loader. They guy in the truck was still alive. As I remember, the sherriff closed the roads.
In Frewsburg we had drifts a foot over the kitchen door......
Posted By: Boise Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I was born and raised in Harbor Creek, 6 miles east of Erie, but tell everyone I'm from Erie. Soon as I got old enough I moved to a warmer climate, then to a drier climate. I left before the 77 storm but do recall going out onto the frozen lake - one of the dumber things I've done.
And we believed the scientists of that time, Ice age coming!
Posted By: Tom264 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Originally Posted by wildswalker
Originally Posted by crosshair

If you remember 1977, and know anything at all about western NY....then you remember the Blizzard of '77.

THAT, was a storm......
Thats exactly what I was referring to.

The Blizzard of '77
I don't mess with ice. One shift in the wind and you could be dead. I remember reading of people who ran out on the lake all the way to Bass Islands, a few never coming back.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Originally Posted by wildswalker

THAT, was a storm......

Heck, I lived in Chicago then and it went through there too! I was a freshman in high school. Did a LOT of shoveling!
And the reason it was such a Blizzard was not the amount of snowfall...it was the amount of blown snow that was blown all over WNY because of the frozen lake.
Posted By: Boise Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Yep, I vividly recall hearing the ice pressuring cracking. That along with crawling over the snow covered pressure ridges was a dumb place for kids to be playing. I doubt my parents ever knew we were down there. The family house is about 1000 yds from Lake Erie and as young boys we were down there often throughout the entire year.
Posted By: bender Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Originally Posted by 2ndwind
I took a picture of one of my college roommates standing on top of a back road snow bank in 1977.... looking down at the power lines...

I also remember you PA guys driving the 7 miles from the PA line to the Westfield liquor stores and bars... NY drinking age was still 18 back then and PA was 21.... The roads would be littered with PA cars driven into ditches... kind of amazing any of you guys survivedwhistle
Oddly enough, and in an obviously unplanned fit of sobriety, we didn't drink 'till we got home. Odd, now that I think of it....
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I could talk about the "Rossby Wave" being stuck in an abnormal position this year -and why we British Columbians up here have had a total of four inches of snow this winter - and why we have flowers blooming now - but there is no point - your minds are made up - based on how you vote... whistle
Originally Posted by Boise
I was born and raised in Harbor Creek, 6 miles east of Erie, but tell everyone I'm from Erie. Soon as I got old enough I moved to a warmer climate, then to a drier climate. I left before the 77 storm but do recall going out onto the frozen lake - one of the dumber things I've done.
Harbor Crick, right? I was from Millcreek, er, crick. And we fish with minnies. I guess we're all from Erie, though not IN Erie. My family owned a fisheries (Ralph Fisheries)by the mouth of Walnut Creek from 1927 - 1973. We owned a bunch of the Manchester Valley, as well as the 1100 acre gamelands in Crossingville, off Rt. 98. Them were the days, my friend.
And the reason it was such a Blizzard was not the amount of snowfall...it was the amount of blown snow that was blown all over WNY because of the frozen lake.

There was a LOT of snow....

The day it hit worst was on a Friday, or maybe a Saturday. One of those two days for sure but I'm leaning hard on that Friday, as I recall trying to keep the driveway open for Dad with a tiny azz Ford 8N and a back blade. He worked Friday nights and Saturdays part time in a camera shop at the time, and I distinctly remember everyone worrying about him getting home that night.

The wind blew like 40 hells for sure, but I can still see those golf ball+ sized snow flakes that just filled that driveway as fast as I could clear it.......
WW, I am also thinking it was on a Friday as we were getting my dads paycheck.....for some reason he wasnt at work...dont remember why.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I am delighted you are having a mild winter.I am sure you will enjoy it .I am in Texas and I am cold.All that pretty snow has left every piece of ground saturated.You cant even walk in the yard.Global warming my @ss.This is Texas,we dont do cold like this.
WW, I am also thinking it was on a Friday as we were getting my dads paycheck.....for some reason he wasnt at work...dont remember why.

I remember missing a lot of school....

Originally Posted by BCBrian
I could talk about the "Rossby Wave" being stuck in an abnormal position this year -and why we British Columbians up here have had a total of four inches of snow this winter - and why we have flowers blooming now - but there is no point - your minds are made up - based on how you vote... whistle
Neat how you can take notice of the parts of the globe that are warmer, and ignore the parts that are cooler. "Global" being the key word here. Carbon does not seem to drive temp., and that is the real issue. Not whether it is cooler or warmer, but whether we are causing it. Seems your mind is made up too, but it's best not to make up data, if you want to find out the truth.
I agree - scientists who make up data - should be finished - for life.

Therefore - I choose to go with what the majority of scientists in the field, presently believe.

The huge majority of them believe...

Well...

If you are familiar with the field - you already know.

Well I guess we are done chit chattin' about the past.

Now we're gonna fight over global warming.

Which is a bunch of BS IMHO.....
Here in B.C. 50 to 80 years ago - lakes that froze solid enough to drive on - now - they have had no ice - none - for 20 plus years. Something is causing the arctic sea ice to vanish and the glaciers to retreat. Our trees are dying from beatles that used to be held in check every winter. Every year we can plant wheat 10 miles or so further north - ah - what's the use?

If it ain't warming you tell me what it is ...

On the other hand - don't bother - politically - I know how you have to think, already.

"There are none so blind..."
Posted By: cloverleaf Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Yep you should know, keep those blinders on!!
Yep - all those things that I mentioned that are happening - it's because - the planet is COOLING - yesiree indeed - that makes sense!

"fuggettaboutit!"
Like a lot of people I remember when all the pollution was causing global freezing then global warming now climate change because the climate changes.This is not new.The Earth was once a snowball.It has always changed and always will.
The climate has always been changing 10,000 years ago we were under ice. There are thousands of factors that cause climate change not just one that can be used as a tool of control so conveniently.
Posted By: salmonhead Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
If you ever want to know the ice conditions, here is a link:
http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/modis/region_map.html
Posted By: Pugs Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
"There are none so blind..."

And 10,000 years ago, long before man was a factor, most of Indiana was under a mile of ice.

It's not a stable system, never was, never will be.

Concentrate on what we can make better, don't blow crap up my ass about my evil SUV and that I have electricity in my little 1800 square foot house. Put down the kool-aid and ask questions that make their living furthering an agenda, any agenda.
Once again, Brian, the real issue is not what the temperature is, but what influences it. A bunch of those scientists, and the U.N. as well, relied on the East Anglia bunch as the basis for their decisions, and they have been lying. Of the 2 or 3 (I'm kidding) scientists that disagree with the carbon/temp relationship, most believe the sun is the culprit. True, if the temp. rises a bunch, it will be different then today, but not necessarily a bad thing. In the past, warm trends have produced great boons for mankind. In any case, mankind's ability to change global climate is very small indeed. If carbon IS the culprit,(and again, data does not support that it is) man's contribution to the overall carbon levels worldwide are very small. It's easy to tie this stuff into the pollution venue, and anyone would be foolish to argue that polluting is better than not polluting, but that is not the issue. Though it gives the impression of a moral/enviro high ground, it avoids answering the question of what exactly is causing any climate change. It is not a done deal.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
I'm still wondering how we caused the Medieval Warm Period.
Was there Medieval Warmist running around telling everyone to stop burning poeple at the stake?
Originally Posted by cloverleaf
Was there Medieval Warmist running around telling everyone to stop burning poeple at the stake?

No.
They were the ones doing the burning.

No different than today's alarmists wanting to burn people at the economic stake. A whole nation's worth of them.
I thought it was those Viking funeral fires.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
First the Saints, now this - we're screwed.
Bingo!!
Posted By: Siskiyous6 Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10

How do you make the distinction? Please give us the text book answer.
One of them folks who got their feelings hurt because they can't differentiate between climate, and environment.

Like sixth-graders - "gotcha back."

Weather is the day to day variations in temperature, wind velocity, humidity, etc. Climate is the long term trends and past history of the above.

Much like the stock market, one day or even one year (weather) does not predict long term trends (climate).
I'm from Erie myself and was 6 when the '77 blizzard hit. I remember I was with my mom and we were just leaving a grocery store and just made it home in time. I lived on 34th Street about a block from State. My parents are both from Erie too. We took off in '80 for Florida, the winters were all pretty bad during the late '70s. Unfortunately, I missed out on all the good steelhead fishing that started up in the 80's. Although the fishing in FL wasn't too bad either.
Posted By: Scorpion Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

Weather is the day to day variations in temperature, wind velocity, humidity, etc. Climate is the long term trends and past history of the above.

Much like the stock market, one day or even one year (weather) does not predict long term trends (climate).

Yep, and most fail to see that distinction. I haven't made my mind completely up yet about the climate debate, and I've heard enough over the past 4-5 years from engineers and scientists who make a living researching this kind of stuff. Lots of data that could easily convince you one way or the other.

One thing I think we can all easily agree on is that climate change is a reality (duh), as nothing is static. Whether we are warming or cooling is too difficult to say, and cannot be accurately determined for a long while. My best guess is that if we are in some sort of local minima as far as a graph of world temperatures go, though globally we are heading towards a maxima. While many think BCBrian is off his rocker (he sometimes is wink ), the polar ice sure as hell isn't melting itself.
I too am from Erie. Lived in the Millcreek area a few blocks west of Penninsula Drive & 26th Street. I remember the lake freezing pretty much every winter. Very cool to see. I simply LOVED driving around the Peninsula pretty much every day after school (either that or going out to the covered bridge in Gudgeonville) for a bit of partying...

In the winter of '77 I was working on the P&C docks in Conneaut, Oh as an Ironworker for a company called Link Belt building conveyor transport systems, stackers & reclaimers for the Great Lakes iron ore carriers of the day.

Moved to Houston/NASA area in '81... Strangely enough, I miss the snow and smaller ski area's of western NY...

Be safe
Patty
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
We'll be wiped out when the poles swap ends and the magnetic field of the Earth is thrown into chaos long before Climate change will get us.
Let the ice melt.

In fact, make it melt!

Human population is growing. People need food. You can't grow grains, fruits and vegetables on ice... in a perpetual winter. Add to that that governments around the globe are perfecting their methods of organized scarcity and control of markets while gathering as much wealth to themselves as humanly possible and it should be clear we need better growing seasons. Global warming is a GREAT idea in my book and we need more of it!

Unfortunately it has been proven that CO2 increases do not cause temperature increases but rather follow along afterwords.

So screw the alarmists. And screw the UN. And screw cap-n-tax. And screw carbon credits. And screw snake oil salesman Algalore. And screw the liberals. And screw the environment worship cult.

Keep the home fires burning. Think I'll go put another log on. And hope the azzhats in my list above get frost bite.

Posted By: Redneck Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
No, we know the difference.. It's tongue-in-cheek humor..

But I wonder if YOUR mind is made up???
Posted By: BGunn Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10

Well I believe Rush better start checking his sources..

A) Here's a sat. picture of the eastern end of Lake Erie from the 15th (the day before his statement) and the western end is even more cracked and open at this time.

[Linked Image]

http://coastwatch.glerl.noaa.gov/mo...mage=a1.10046.1836.LakeErie.143.250m.jpg

It's FAR from being frozen over.

I do a lot of ice fishing, and personally know one of the idiots that went through yesterday loosing $11,000 worth of 4-wheelers and equipment. The lake is far from being safe to fish at this time.

As far as not freezing for the last 14 years, that's major BS too.

Here's some pics from 4 years ago when it was solid from Buffalo to Toledo. It's not uncommon for the lake to freeze over, but in just the last 2 or 3 years it hasn't been solid end to end.

In these pictures, the ice is right around 4 feet thick where ever you went. Without extensions, ice fishing augers are about 42" long. On ice like this you need auger extensions, or a home made tool to break through the few inches of shove ice, or slush under the main ice...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Redneck Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Yep - all those things that I mentioned that are happening - it's because - the planet is COOLING - yesiree indeed - that makes sense!
That's what all those glorious 'scientists' said was happening in the '70s - GLOBAL COOLING!! A new ICE AGE is coming..

Laughable..

First off, there IS globla warming and global cooling.. But it has nothing to do with human population - it's just a normal cycling that's been around forever...

It's morons like Algore, the lyin'-scientists and flaming liberals that are trying their best to make us all believe that it's OUR fault..

It's total Bull-Pelosi, front to back...

But I digress...

A friend of mine in Port Stanley, Ontario sent me pix of what the lakefront looks like near spring when the winds push the ice floes up onto the shore.. It's unreal.. Something I've never seen before..
[quote]But I wonder if YOUR mind is made up??? [/quote

I vote programmed.

The same zealots who for decades - and still - can not make the distinction between environment and climate, are having their "gotcha" moment. It's quite juvenile, like their beliefs.
That's what all those glorious 'scientists' said was happening in the '70s - GLOBAL COOLING!! A new ICE AGE is coming..

Laughable..

First off, there IS globla warming and global cooling.. But it has nothing to do with human population - it's just a normal cycling that's been around forever...

It's morons like Algore, the lyin'-scientists and flaming liberals that are trying their best to make us all believe that it's OUR fault..

It's total Bull-Pelosi, front to back...

But I digress...

A friend of mine in Port Stanley, Ontario sent me pix of what the lakefront looks like near spring when the winds push the ice floes up onto the shore.. It's unreal.. Something I've never seen before..
Exactly!
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10
Yep...

I looked at the satellite data last night. Rush has been hittin the vicodins... again.

Their still runnin shipping in the Great Lakes, not one of the better years for ice.
Posted By: doubletap Re: Lake Erie frozen over?? - 02/17/10

Brian,

It has nothing to do with global warming. It is a right wing conspiracy. We have a weather machine and we are withholding Canada's snow. Instead of selling carbon credits, we will sell you snow by the inch. The cost is quite reasonable but there is one other requirement. You will need to become a conservative who thinks for himself. We will not sell snow to liberal kool-aid drinkers.
© 24hourcampfire