Home
finally got my bullet trap mounted and collection tank setup. it has a 24"x24" opening and is made from 1/2" steel plate. this design worked out great for some other shooters. now i get back my lead and lead of those who shoot with me.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IT WORKS, EVERY BODY FOUND THE EXIT !!!!!

Shot it from 100 with 223 and 30-06 and then 10-15 paces with my 9mm

Everybody goes where they should
[Linked Image]

223 M855 (small) and 9mm cast (large)
[Linked Image]

30-06 core lok
[Linked Image]

remnants, i did not try to pour everything out but it works!!
[img]http://www.treeclimber.com/reloads/bullet-trap-07.jpg[/img]
Cool.
that's pretty cool.

really.

-tom
Very nice Sir.
did you make it yourself?

very cool!
yep, got the plate for free and had a friend do the welding. I can weld but no where near as pretty as my friend.
Did you have drawings to work from? Could I just print this picture and expect any decent welding shop to put something like this together right?

What grade of steel should be used?

Very cool, I want one... wheel weights to cast bullets from are getting harder to find.
Keep us up dated on how it holds up. Are you reusing the lead for jacketed rifle bullets or just recasting lead pistol bullets?
Very nice bullet trap!
2ndwind, no i do not have any plans. But any machine shop should be able to build based on the pictures. I built mine using pictures from another like it i found on the web. The slope needs to be less than 45 degrees. preferabbly 25-30.

jasonb, i cast both rifle and pistol slugs. I will catch all lead i shoot. since jacketed bullets will be caught and they are pure lead i will have to test hardness with each batch i smelt and add antimony or tin to harden it back up IF needed.

Your buddy can weld! phewww.
Originally Posted by BigBlack

jasonb, i cast both rifle and pistol slugs. I will catch all lead i shoot. since jacketed bullets will be caught and they are pure lead i will have to test hardness with each batch i smelt and add antimony or tin to harden it back up IF needed.

Casting rifle bullets is also something I have been curious about, but not yet tried. Your setup reminded me of retrieving spent bullets for use in some of the swaging setups Corbin sells to put a core from recovered lead in to a jacket.
Very nice BigBlack! Good use of the Uni-Strut for the target backer "holder" too.
How thick is the steel? I like it.
kend, it is 1/2" plate
The BigBlack Bullet-Trap, it's a nice a ring to it.
That even made me groan.
Very cool...

cool good job
© 24hourcampfire