Home
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I am afraid to say that this isn't a update with good news my friends.
Ken went the hospital on Monday for a scope to see about reversing some of the plumbing changes. Things looked good and they took him for surgery on Tuesday to do the procedure. Yesterday our friend CCCC made the trip down from the Quemado area to check in on Ken. When CCCC got to the hospital to see Ken things were not good, not good at all. Ken was very unresponsive, hot to the touch and breathing shallowly and labored. CCCC and his wife told the nurse on duty that Ken was clearly in distress. The nurse said that during her rounds Ken had seemed fine. After a good amount of prodding they were able a to get doctor into to look at Ken. The Doctor quickly determined that Ken was in a very bad way, and was or was very near to coding. They ordered in crash carts to stand-by and began working on Ken urgently and were not having luck getting him to respond. They rushed Ken into the ICU and CCCC/Mrs. CCCC were unable to get any information as they are not family.
Today was pretty much the same.
I was able to get up the hospital tonight, but I was not allowed to go into the ICU and see Ken because it was during non-visiting hours (WTH?). I was able to speak with Ken's daughter who was in the hospital room with him at the time. The situation is this according to Ken's daughter: Ken has a strong infection somewhere from the surgery, he is intibated and on a ventilator right now and also heavily sedated so they can keep him on the ventilator. At this point they are unsure when they will be able to take him off the ventilator. He is receiving I.V. antibiotics. My take and I think CCCC's seems to be that things could go either way very quickly at this point.
That�s all I know right now guys. I wish I could add more, and I wish like hell it was better news.
All I can do is pray that whatever god has planned works out. If you�re the praying type now would be as good a time as any.
Really sorry to hear that. I always enjoyed his writings.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thoughts and prayers for what is best for Ken.
Posted By: Barkoff Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Man, that's tough, sounds like it might be time to let go and go home.

Sorry to hear this.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
More prayers sent.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thanks for the update.

I'm glad he has family close and I wish him fair winds and following seas.......
I would say I am praying that god will pull Ken through this, but that is me selfishly not wanting to lose my friend and mentor. Ken has told many times that all he wants is to see his Carol Ann again, and so all I can do is pray that whatever god has planned works out.
Posted By: Huntr Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thank you for the update, prayers sent simply for Gods will...
Posted By: BeeMan59 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers being raised now.

I just learned this evening that I may have a chance to visit Ken this summer, and now this.
Posted By: Thunderball Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Sounds like he is close to his reward. And I mean that in a good way. I will say a prayer.
Posted By: MackMan Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thanks Thomas. I have dreaded this for a long time.
Prayers are sent and God Bless you and everybody
involved.
Charlie
Posted By: eh76 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
I would say I am praying that god will pull Ken through this, but that is me selfishly not wanting to lose my friend and mentor. Ken has told many times that all he wants is to see his Carol Ann again, and so all I can do is pray that whatever god has planned works out.

Thank you Thomas. Prayers sent.
I lost one of my uncles wed.So more prayers are on the way.
Posted By: Higginez Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Awe geez. Really sorry to hear this.
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Sorry to hear this...
Posted By: Rusty-Gunn Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
My thoughts and prayers to Ken. He helped me design a wildcat cartridge called the 440 Arctic Circle Express some years back. Many thanks to this fine old man.
Posted By: Ivan Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
What a bummer... God bless and keep you Ken
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers Sent...

Thanks for the update and thank CCCC for being there.

Gods Will Be Done
He'll be waiting over there, on a long legged horse, in TALL grass,

Via con Dios, Old Amigo.

GTC
Posted By: Swift Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers sent for Gods plan
Posted By: 4xbear Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Damn. Prayer sent. Bear
Posted By: BCBrian Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I must say - I always was treated so well by Ken - and I know, that on many issues, he profoundly disagreed with me.

I don't know much else about the actual life of the man.

But that, in itself, means so much to me.

I hope we can disagree (without being disagreeable) again my friend...
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
sad to hear. Prayers sent.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Yup, sad to hear. Funny how it goes, found out today an old friend got her lung transplant yesterday and is doing well. Yin and yang I guess.
Posted By: Lslite Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I'm not much of a prayin' man,but he will be in my thoughts.
Posted By: dave284 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
My prayers sent also.

Dave.
Posted By: safariman Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I have been praying as I read this. God BLESS him, please. amen. Bless him with your presence close by, to lead him and to guide him through this difficult time but most of all lead him straight toward yourself, to commit himself fully and completely to you so that he will be one of your welcome children when this old body of his finally gives out all the way. To then be ushered into a new 'all the way' where there is no body breakdown and no pain and that YOU dear Father will, as you promised in your word, wipe EVERY tear from his eyes..... in PERSON..... to never well up within his newly perfect eyes ever again. Amen and Amen

Please Join me in this one, brothers and sisters in the Lord...
I'll keep Ken in my prayers.He's a good man.

Brian.
Posted By: Stan V Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Ken has really been going through some tough times....
Been praying for weeks that as he passes, it would be peacefull. I believe he has been ready for years. A good man.
Posted By: MagMarc Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers sent, Godspeed Ken
So sorry to hear this disturbing news. While I never had the opportunity to meet or talk to Ken, I can tell from what I've read here that he is a top shelf individual. It's pretty obvious how much he's become a part of the fabric of the 'fire. My heartfelt prayers go out to Ken and his family and friends. Should it be God's wish, let him pass peacefully and with dignity.
Posted By: Paul39 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers sent from me too. I never spoke with him either, but he seems like a fine man who has led a rich and full life, and has generously shared his knowledge with others. May the rest of his journey be easy.

Paul
Posted By: TNrifleman Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers for Ken.
Posted By: bwinters Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
This is a tough one. We'll keep Ken in our prayers - he's a good man.
Posted By: Hindsite Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Very sorry to hear this.......Prayer sent for what is now best for our friend Ken.

Mark
Posted By: jwp475 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10

Hopefully Ken can make a full recovery. Thanks for the update
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Hang in there Ken. You're still needed here.
I received the book yesterday and had Ken on my mind all evening. I was just wondering how he was doing. I'm really sorry to hear he's in worse shape.

He's in my prayers.

Posted By: bender Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers sent.
Posted By: SnowHunter Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers for Ken... May he find some peace and comfort
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thomas....thanks for the update, we appreciate it..

Ingwe
Posted By: ICDUCKS Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thanks Thomas prayers sent. The good Lord will surely do whats best.
Thank you for the update. What will be will be. Easy passage and safe harbor.

BCR
Posted By: T LEE Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I pray that the Lord takes him gently into his arms if it is His will. Bless you Ken you are a great man that I admire and am proud to call you friend.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Originally Posted by GeoW
More prayers sent.
And more from THW.... frown
Posted By: EvilTwin Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Ken, prayers for you. I hope that Peace comes and you are reunited. You deserve no less.
Posted By: VAnimrod Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
Ken, prayers for you. I hope that Peace comes and you are reunited. You deserve no less.

You put my thoughts better than I could have.

Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Damn it,sorry to hear but let what will be be and come quickly and peacefully either way
Just a thought here. Shooting Lady thinks VERY highly of Ken. If one of the guys has her addy at the MCRD Parris Island, they maybe ought to advise her of the current state of affairs with Ken as it applies at the time. I am sure she would appreciate that greatly.
Posted By: BrotherBart Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
I dunno about that Jim....She's got alot on her plate right now..
Posted By: T LEE Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Agreed Bart.
True, but not being told of the dire situation of someone held in high regard hurts real bad.
Posted By: Greyghost Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Not great news to wake up to, my thoughts and prayers are with him.

Phil
Posted By: jimmyd223 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers for Ken and family.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
My prayer is for the Lord to fully heal Ken or to take him to his rich reward. Should he leave Ken to tarry with us a little longer, I pray we all will show Ken what a blessing he has been to us and all the many areas of life Ken has made a mark in all his years. It's in His hands, as it always is.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thanks for being there for Ken,Thomas. Prayers sent up for all.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Sorry to hear about Ken.
Prayers sent for Ken and his family.
Posted By: JohnMoses Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers for Ken & his family.

God Bless 'em.

JM
Posted By: oulufinn Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers to Ken and his family. It's very good to hear he does have some family there with him, too.
So sad to hear as we thought he was doing well and in good spirits.
Prayers sent.
Butch
Posted By: Scott F Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers Sent!
Posted By: heavywalker Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
sorry to hear this, prayers sent to his family and friends, and prayers for Ken.
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers Sent
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Prayers on the way.

It definitely sounds like the quality of life isn't there for Ken anymore from what we've seen in the last year. May the the Good Lord take him from us to a better place where there is no pain and suffering as Ken has lived the good life. The journey to the end has been a long and painful one no man deserves that. Especially Ken Howell as he has given us so much in just knowing him.
Posted By: mjc Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Thank you Thomas. Prayers for Ken.
Prayers sent from this end of the country to a good man. May the Lord guide him home gently if that is what is to be.

Amen brothers,
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Godspeed and god bless to you Ken. Les
Terrible news. Best wishes for Ken and family.
Posted By: Nail Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Sad news. Praying for the best.

Nail
Posted By: Spotshooter Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Sorry to hear that, would have been better if they were checking on him more closely.

Hope the best for Ken and his family.

Spot
Posted By: 300Takedown Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
That's really bad news. Hope he beats the infection. My Great Uncle went that way after gall bladder surgery. He's still in our prayers.
Posted By: shaman Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
That's sincerely a bummer. My prayers go out to Ken and all who are with him.
Praying for god's will to be done regarding all involved ....
Posted By: GregW Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
May peace be with him...

I can think of worse places to go than Heaven...
Posted By: Tamale Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
God will take care of him, in his own way. We pray for you amigo.
Posted By: Cajun Blake Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
more prayers sent up for Ken and his family
If it is his time, let it be quick.

Many of us are feeling pretty selfish right now. I am anyway. I say selfish because we are all thinking of what we may lose. It's human nature. But we should be thankful for what we have gained!

What it really is, is love. It shows that many people are thinking about Ken and realizing how different the world will be without him. It's times like this when we remember all the wonderful things that he brought to everyone.

Ken shared his knowledge of different subjects for sure, but I was actually thinking about his sense of humour and life experiences. How he could turn a phrase. Ken told us stories about others he's known in his life - both famous and otherwise. I used to love the stories he told about people he knew or knew by reputation like Homer Powley or Bill Jordan. There were so many more!

I think that Ken enjoyed being able to communicate with everyone. Even after his stroke when things got difficult, I truly believe that this place was a small part of the reason he kept going.

He inspired us and sometimes made us angry. He made us laugh and told us stories. He always made us think. We were truly blessed by his presence.

I'm sorry for being so long winded, but we should try and be as upbeat as we can. I don't think Ken would appreciate everyone being so down in the mouth.
Posted By: LeRoy Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
Well said Steve.

The strength of my soul to Ken and family.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/27/10
He might have mersa, Going through the same thing with my girlfriend from her march 4 abdominal surgery. the infection is between the mesh and skin over her stomach. needs 8 weeks of iv antibiotics through a pic line, and 3 JP drains to get the junk out. Wish Ken luck, I hope he doesn't have it.
Ken has always a been a great asset to this site. I have missed his wit, and wisdom of late.

All my best wishes to Ken and to his family to ease the hardship and trial they now face.

May the future be kind to Dr. Howell.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
I miss the stories he'd tell. Not much the man has not done.

Posted By: Scott F Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
The story of launching the black bear across the lake still makes me laugh. grin
Posted By: njs1230 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
Keeping Ken in my prayers
Posted By: huntsonora Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
Ken ad his family and friends are in my prayers!!!

Drummond
Posted By: mjc Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
Thomas Any updates?
Posted By: 300Takedown Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
Just checking in. I know we'll get an update as soon as there's news.
Posted By: 2muchgun Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/28/10
Was thinking of Ken a coupla days ago as I was reading about the Howell cartridges and the AHR rifles in which they were chambered .........
Posted By: 300Takedown Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/29/10
Just a bump so the thread is easier to find
Posted By: krp Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Just returned from spending over an hour with Ken.

I was gone last week and didn't know till yesterday the events that happened, didn't know what to expect.

He is back to being sharp and told some great stories. Seems he had an infection that put him out until yesterday, he woke up and can't remember anything since he went into surgery. The surgery we all knew about, it was to remove the catheter and get him on the path to going home, it was something we were all looking forward to.... the smallest things sometimes....

Anyway, he has been taken out of ICU and put into a clean room, I had to wear a yellow gown... luckily I look great in yellow... and wear gloves. He will most likely spend a few days at the hospital and then be sent back to the AJ center, then for a month in Socorro NM, then home. He talked alot about getting home to NM and continuing a regular life.

Amen

Kent
Posted By: T LEE Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
PRAISE THE LORD AND HALLELUJAH!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
God is good!
Posted By: HawkI Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Glad to hear the grand old man is feeling better and his spirits are up.

Thanks for being there for him and keeping us posted.
Posted By: Sakoluvr Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
He is one tough SOB! God ain't ready for ya Ken. Keep wanting to get out of there, and you will!
Posted By: Higginez Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Great to hear it!
Sorry for slacking on this guys, my kids have been real sick. I haven't had a chance to get over there. I think between my sickies, and Ken's infection its a good idea that I stay out of there until he and they improve.

KRP you're the tops amigo!
Posted By: tbear99 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
glad to hear the positive change.The campfire is still with him
Oh Ken, who knew that you liked high drama? shocked

The Lord must have some more things for you to do. That's wonderful! Please don't scare us again! laugh
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Outstanding! Thanks for the update.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
You have nothing to apologize for, sir. You are a prince!

Prayers for your kids. I know how that can be.
Posted By: DARBY Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Thanks for the good news, Kent. And, once more, thanks again to you and Tom for your efforts on Ken's behalf.

DARBY
Posted By: ingwe Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Kent..thank you for the good news....would LOVE to see Ken get back home..

Ingwe
Posted By: dvdegeorge Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Ornery does count...great news!
Let us hope the improvement continues.

BCR
Posted By: SnowHunter Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
terrific news!!! Thanks for the update KRP smile
Kent and Tom, You guys are top notch! Ken really values you guys and is lucky to call you friends.
Butch
Posted By: djs Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Hope he makes it.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
excellent news!
Great to hear he's coming around. One tough old SOB, and living up to that rep as we speak!
Posted By: Big_Papa Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Well good news in an otherwise sad world. Stay strong Ken this world needs people like you and many others here at the fire.
" Ya' can't kill bad grass. "

That old rascal is real Prairie Bunchgrass!

GTC

Posted By: Hindsite Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Good to hear....Ken is one tough CFM!

Mark
Posted By: CEJ1895 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Great news! Damn hospital infections!
Posted By: Sassy Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Glad to hear you are doing better. Hope to see you on the fire soon.
Posted By: bigwhoop Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Its a fitting story for Holy Week. Those infections can be worse than the reason for surgery.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Originally Posted by T LEE
PRAISE THE LORD AND HALLELUJAH!
Well said, and a big DITTO!!
Posted By: biglmbass Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
It's great to hear he's doing much better.
Originally Posted by CEJ1895
Great news! Damn hospital infections!

Ain't that the truth. Friend of mine went in two weeks ago for a simple stent to relieve pressure from kidney stones. He is in ICU and has been for the last ten days from a massive staph infection all through out his body. Been in an induced coma for four days and they ain't sure he is going to ever come out of it.

Cure is sometimes worse than the disease.

BCR
Posted By: tzone Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Great to hear he's coming around. One tough old SOB, and living up to that rep as we speak!

man you got that right.
Posted By: 300Takedown Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Great news!
Posted By: Huntr Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Super!
Posted By: Violator22 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Outstanding, glad to know Ken will be back home soon. Les
I'm very glad to hear the good news. He gets to celebrate another Easter.

Steve
Posted By: shootinurse Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 03/30/10
Fantastic news. I saw the original post, but on-line time has been sketchy of late. The best place to get an infection is in the hospital due to immobility, debilitation, and the fact that everyone with an infection goes there. Good for Ken! As for Kent and Tom, every one of us should be so blessed to have friends like them.
Posted By: Popapi Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 04/01/10
Originally Posted by RickyD
God is good!
YES INDEED ALL THE TIME!!!!! Awesome news glad to hear Mr Howell is doing well as expected I was thinking about and praying for him this morning!
Posted By: 340boy Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 04/01/10
That is good news!
smile
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 04/01/10
Way To Go! grin
Posted By: LeRoy Re: Ken Howell update 3/26 - 04/02/10
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Kent and Tom, You guys are top notch! Ken really values you guys and is lucky to call you friends.
Butch

x 2 !!!
Too bad there weren't more like you two out there.

I too am looking forward to Kens "ramblings"!

Later...
Wonderful News, in an otherwise trying time.

You're an inspiration, Doc.

GTC
© 24hourcampfire