Home
And I got into them today... Got me on the ankles,legs and one of the little bastards worked his way all the way up to one of my test-tackles... I'll call that one Jeff....
These damned things are a menace..... mad
Originally Posted by BrotherBart
And I got into them today... Got me on the ankles,legs and one of the little bastards worked his way all the way up to one of my test-tackles... I'll call that one Jeff....

ROTFLMAO!

Now, you be nice to Jeff... he licks... er, likes... it there.
Jest wait til yer nuts swell up to the size of grapefruits, you'll know more about that 1 you found. grin Thats scary, a whole tribe of Jeff O's. wink
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Jest wait til yer nuts swell up to the size of grapefruits, you'll know more about that 1 you found. grin

Dude, it's Bart. Grapes, would be more appropriately huge.

Were it Bob, tomato seeds would have him jumping for joy, even in agony of the cause.
I feel for you,bro'!! I really do!

You'll be scratching your boys for 5 days. By that, I mean a bunch more than usual!
Chiggers are sure a nuisance. Good luck.
Hate speach hate speach
Chigroes

BCR
I have found that if you scratch hard enough, the scabs go away quicker than waiting for the itch to stop...
That's what my boss said....Cheeee-grows..... grin
Originally Posted by djs
Chiggers are sure a nuisance. Good luck.

Like a guy from South Carolina told me once, "down here we call them Chigroes."
Bart;

Scratch like hell, then use Tabasco. It'll cure it. Promise....
I'm going with Gold Bond lotion for now....
Ahh, the good old day in the 1st Cavalry Division in
Ft Hood, TX. 30-90 days in the field at a time, and
lots and lots of chiggers.
Chiggers ain't near as bad now as they were when I was a kid...
Fire ants keep them pretty much in check...Same with ticks...
scratch profusely, then dab rubbin alcohol on it grin
Hate to hear about the chiggers, cause that means we will have them soon. I use Icy Hot or Bengay on them and it sure makes the itching go away. Might want to be careful with that around the boys though.
Dang I don't miss them darn chiggers. We have enough ticks to go around tho....
Sandpaper and Turpentine. Guaranteed to make you forget the chiggers. wink
Originally Posted by SnowHunter
scratch profusely, then dab rubbin alcohol on it grin

meaner! laugh
My son used this stuff when he was in the Army. I got some and it seems to work pretty well. Heavy on sulphur, judging by the smell.

www.chiggaway.com

Paul
Hey Bart....

[Linked Image]
Chiggers mad I hate them bastids. miles
I've seen a lot of them, but I don't think I've ever been bitten by one. I know they bite, though, and leave a bad mark.

[Linked Image]
I just renamed him Tom....
I have found that if you scratch hard enough, the scabs go away quicker than waiting for the itch to stop...

When a mosquito bites you you itch for a bit on account of your reaction to the mosquito's saliva.

A chigger OTOH leaves a tube of dried saliva going down through your skin that it fed through, sorta like a tiny drinking straw. Until your skin grows it out from underneath you'll itch.

Like the good Lt, I prefer to scratch 'em down to the blood, they stop itching faster that way on account of you scratched it all out.

Birdwatcher
I just renamed him Tom....
Lol...thanks.
Heres what you do Bart, scratch until you bleed.....than pour rubbing alcohol on yourself.

That'll fix it..guaranteed.
Originally Posted by Tom264
Heres what you do Bart, scratch until you bleed.....than pour rubbing alcohol on yourself.

That'll fix it..guaranteed.
beat ya to that one already Tom

Gettin slow in yer old age? grin
Chigarrid or Chiggarid - anyway, that' the schit - you paint it on the bites and it chokes the life out of em.

Did ya? I must have missed it.

It works though.
Nail polish.
Nah, nail polish and chiggarid don't kill them, because once it starts itching, then the bug has already finished biting and dropped off. The itching is from the little tube left behind, like the PP said.

I found that 1% hydrocortisone anti-itch cream works just fine. Just keep it handy until the welt is gone.

And use OFF! or something on your shoes and pants leg to keep them away.

44henry
Dont get em on your little vienna either.......
First thing I do when back at the ranch is to bathe in Clorox. I live in the South, in the woods all year and never had them. But as Shreck pointed out Moms remedy was nail polish.

Now thinking all it takes is for your Mom to put nail polish on your nads one time as a kid and you're both shamed and immune. And for you jokers already responding my Mom was a nurse not a perv. I'm the perv-- wink
Thanks for reminding me - there are no chiggers in California

Ha! Ha!

grin
Pour alcohol on them, when they get drunk and stagger out use an ice pick on them.
Bart, I spent a year in Liberty Hill/Georgetown. They is bad there!

Don't miss them one bit.

Seems as though Northern Dave's services are needed here...
Yep. One of the reasons I live in the Pac NW is we don't have chiggers. They LOVE me. You can clear a full section of land of chiggers by just having me set foot on the place.

My cure for chiggers is to move north.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Yep. One of the reasons I live in the Pac NW is we don't have chiggers. They LOVE me. You can clear a full section of land of chiggers by just having me set foot on the place.

My cure for chiggers is to move north.

+1 on that Scott!
talk about bait and switch...

I thought this was a thread about Obama's half brother in china.. confused
OJ and a fresh, new razor!
Damn chiggers!
One old wise man I knew,said that grass fires got rid of ticks and chiggers.At least for a few years,anyway.
Too late now but I always used sulphur and just powedered a little in the socks and around the waist inside the clothes and it will keep them all off if you know you are headed into heavy chiggar country.

I used it a lot whhen cruising timber and cutting thru the really thick crap.

I've heard people say sulphur tablets will accomplish the same thing but I have never actually tried it.
Any bug spray will work if you spray appropiate areas before going into chigger country. I've always done such since I mowed the cabin lawn in central Va without having done so. I was literally covered from my waste to my ankles,both sides of my body. Had appointment with real estate agent(female)in Deep Creek Md two days later. Got a doc friend to prescribe some poison to kill the chiggers but the enzyme damage is done so the itch stays even though the [bleep] are dead.

When this lady was showing me homes, the itching was so bad that I had to use wall corners and counter tops to rub up against for relief. I think it was my scratching my nads on kitchen counter tops that had her cancelling our appointment for the next day.

Miserable experience and I can't believe Bart has such good spirits while going through it. I carry Cutter with me everywhere I go now just in case.

I truly would rather have the flu.
If you walk in grass or even in shrubs in TX for any period this time of year, you're gonna get chiggers...

My remedy is unique. I just to scratch the heck outta them cause it feels so good and scab them over. One good itch to make them bleed a tiny bit and no more itch.grin...
Originally Posted by ltppowell

I guess I should have read the thread before I just posted.

Seems like Pat and I have similar remedies....
Got them this weekend turkey hunting in S. Tx. Leaning back against a tree for a while and now I have them on my back. A first for me.

I applied "OFF", but obviously not enough.
FYI The millions of mosquitos looked like grackles. Never seen so many in such a normally arid country.

stumpy
I can't believe you's guys don't know the REAL cure for chiggers.

Shave a strip up the middle about an inch wide (No FCOJ, please).
Light one side on fire.
Stab them with an ice pick as they run across for safety.

I learned that in boy scouts smile
scratch the area raw until it bleeds, than douse with rubbing alcohol.

Same thing for poison ivy.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Thanks for reminding me - there are no chiggers in California

Ha! Ha!

grin

They are chexicans.
Originally Posted by RWE

Or, bleach.

Or, my granddad' favorite way: scratch raw, then douse with turpentine.

Guaranteed to cure what ails ya........
Seriously, you get all the satisfaction of scratching, just like maw told ya not to.

Lord it feels so good, I'm getting a chub just thinking about it.

Then after all signs of pest or biological insult is removed, ya just pour the agent of choice on it.

Sure. It'll sting a little.

But after that "wave o' pain" is done, you don't have to worry about the persistent itching for a week.

Have a shot of Scotch if that'll help you get through it....
Originally Posted by RWE
Seriously, you get all the satisfaction of scratching, just like maw told ya not to.

Lord it feels so good, I'm getting a chub just thinking about it.

Then after all signs of pest or biological insult is removed, ya just pour the agent of choice on it.

Sure. It'll sting a little.

But after that wave a pain is done, you don't have to worry about the persistent itching for a week.

Have a shot of Scotch if that'll help you get through it....

Oh, trust me, I am VERY well acquainted with that regime.
Works on illegal immigrants too.
Originally Posted by RWE

As far as I'm concerned, a chigger IS an illegal immigrant; they damned sure didn't get permission to cross those lines.
Originally Posted by RWE

============

I'm liking you more and more with each post!!
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by RWE

============

Be afraid, RWE. Be very afraid...
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by RWE

============

I'll let you know the next time we feel like scratching illegals.

You can carry the the bucket of ethyl......
Originally Posted by RWE

Yep.
I actually figured that out on my own as a kid.
The seeping of poison ivy, the itch of chiggers, and the itch where a tic was pulled out. Cures all 3 but the poison ivy takes several applications. Doesn't have to be rubbing alcohol. Sea Breeze or a good strong mouthwash like cepacol or lysterine work well, too.
You guys are killing me. LOL

Got some more today.... mad
I soaked my legs with 15% deet this morning and the little bastards still got me...
They must be blooming this week...
It's the babies that hatched yesterday, INSIDE those ghostly white legs of yours.
Better hope the babies don't have babies cos then you're gonna have to call House MD..
I can help.

I'm a Chugger expert.

Originally Posted by northern_dave
I can help.

I'm a Chugger expert.

Rumor has it you invite Tom and Ing to pick them off----I know better but folks are talking.. laugh
I'm going to the store for razors, oj concentrate and tampons.

what are these things called again? Keggers?

doesn't sound so bad....

Never had any luck with deet type products. Powdered sulphur from the drug store works every time. Picked that tip up while working on staff at boy scout summer camp and camping in the woods for 3 months at a time in the south.
This thread looks like it's going to go VERY bad,.....

looking foward to that.

Ya'll know what you get when you cross a Mexican with a Morman ?

Basement fulla' stolen canned goods.

(My Morman Buds LAUGH at that one )

let the badness begin

GTC
CHIGGERS Dave.... CHIGGERS...
The chiggers are coming all over Bart's balz. How gay is that?
grin
Originally Posted by shreck
The chiggers are coming all over Bart's balz. How gay is that?
grin

If ya gotta asked....

BTW - Bart; it is the eggs... think about it... you've got little baby chiggers all hatching out just under your skin, randomly, from your waste down.... right now...
oh thats just mean..

grin

Hey bart, we aint got them damn things up here. too cold!!

I'll take chiggers over Yankees any day.... Excluding present company of course.... grin
laughin!

grin

seriously though, I got some 80 grit sandpaper out in the shop. I could next day some down to ya.

cool
Originally Posted by northern_dave
laughin!

grin

seriously though, I got some 80 grit sandpaper out in the shop. I could next day some down to ya.

cool

Steel wool and turpentine.

Guarantee that'd work.
Frozen Orange juice might just work.
Gold Bond lotion is magical on these little bastages... smile

Dude, you ain't got chiggers; you've got foot/jock rot.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Word!
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Negative there ground pounder...Cheeeeeeeee-grooooossss.....
You crack me up Bart. Looks like I might get in a few laughs learning how to make brisket and beans.

Hope your legs ain't looking like dart boards in 2 weeks.
Bart you best get a Medrol steroid pack before this hunt or pics of you will be all over this place.

And again go with a bath of bleach. That gold bond stuff is foo foo. Just makes the chigs smell good--

David

Damn. Here I was all full of pizz and vinegar, sleeves up and waiting to cut loose on ole Bart for gettin' his slur on with an impressive two-fer, complainin' about some dude half Chinese and half...Well, aw nevermind. Sheeit.

Go to a feed store or garden center and get a sack of sulfur pellets. If you use a broadcast spreader they'll leave the area (or die, sulfur is a pesticide). We do this when our grandkids are coming. Also, put some in an old sock and dust your shoes, socks and pant legs. THIS WORKS!
So,.............

....you haven't tried Lacquer Thinners ?

Way cheaper than Gold Bond,...and just as effective.

Trust me.

GTC
I worked cows this evening in high grass, have to load some calves in the morning to haul to Lampasas. They have not got me yet this year (this is me knocking on wood....).

The bleach treatment works well. Fill your bathtub with water and then pour a quart or so of bleach in the mix,, stir, then soak.

Got a feelin' the guys from up north going on the hog hunt with Bart, Greg, Pat and I are in for a chigger introduction.

We'll be used to it, they will think think they have a BAD skin disease, at least thats what we'll tell them.LOL!

Bill
snakes, spiders, ticks, and now CHIGGERS!!
HOLY HE11 GUYS!

I ain't gonna laugh at ya Bart--cause I know paybacks are a beeatch! Well maybe just a little...ROFLMAO wink

I read a lot of the posts to my daughter-and my ex-was kinda funny watching them squirm.
Then daughter looked up on google--pictures are not pretty shocked

You folks wanna pick me up some sulphur, REAL deet, and bleach, and....
I'm gonna have nightmares now!

Later...
So,........nobody's clued you in on the SCORPIONS ?!

Bwa-Hawwww.

GTC

Of the four chiggers are the worst. You at least get a chance to see and possibly avoid the other three...
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
So,........nobody's clued you in on the SCORPIONS ?!

Bwa-Hawwww.

GTC

SSHHH We were saving that one for later Greg... grin
Actually...
someone already did, THANKS!
I had forgot about them creepy little bastages!

Just freekin lovely! Gonna spend more time lookin for creey crawlies than anything else--'cept my back wink
Oh, and Keiths better half shocked

Later...
© 24hourcampfire