Home
Does anyone know where I can get a chamber insert to convert my 30-06 to 308?

I'm not really interested in having the rifle permanently modified, but I would like to be able to slip a 308 chamber insert in.

Thanks for any info,

Mike
Think Brownell's still sells those.
http://www.mcace.com/adapters.htm
Yep that's the idea but I hve tried calling these guys (Mcace) and left messages and sent emails - no response so I guess they don't get my business.
I e mailed them and got no response, but when I called a woman answered and took a message. The next day a fellow called me back and answered my questions. That was three weeks ago, and I have been meaning to send them a MO for the inserts, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I think that he's the only guy that makes these things now, as he bought the tooling from the company that originated it. I might be mistaken though.
That makes sense.

Months ago I sent two emails and left two voice mail messages on their answering machine. I never got a response so my only assumption was that they are out of business, or don't want my business.

It's too bad too because I would have bought several of their adapters, but since they can't even return a phone call, I sure don't want to send them money and risk never getting anything back!
I'll kick this over to the Alaska board and see if anyone has done business with them lately.
"a chamber insert to convert my 30-06 to 308?"

I guess you understand by now that no such critter exists ?

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"a chamber insert to convert my 30-06 to 308?"

I guess you understand by now that no such critter exists ?

GTC

Not at all. They were made in the thousands for use in the M1 Garand when Nato adopted 7.62x51mm as standard. The question is whether anyone still makes them or whether anyone who has an old one one is willing to sell it.
All I can say is "Why?"
Originally Posted by BarryC
All I can say is "Why?"

Ditto + 1,000.

Load 150's with a moderate charge of H4895 and you got your 308 using 30-06 brass. That's what my wife shoots. Kills moose jess fine! wink
It's at least entertaining when you eject the adapter and fire another round.
Originally Posted by BarryC
All I can say is "Why?"

To make use of the 308 ammo I have on hand without buying another rifle or permanately rechambering this one.
I'm rolling an example of both rounds back and forth across the desk,......with a pair of very good calipers,....

Q. Is the "adapter / insert" tapered to paper thin dimensions at the cartridge base area ?

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I'm rolling an example of both rounds back and forth across the desk,......with a pair of very good calipers,....

Q. Is the "adapter / insert" tapered to paper thin dimensions at the cartridge base area ?

GTC

not only that , but the 308 has a bigger shoulder than 06 and less taper thru the body , for instance , you can't rechamber a 308 barrel to 06 without setting back the barrel threads .

I wanna see one of those thousands of adapters the army had , and see it work .
This I CAN tell you, the U.S, Navy TRIED it, ....and it was a complete debacle,......those few that did stay in the original M1 '06 chambers did not deliver but mediocre accuracy. The literally paper thin, press fitted "Adaptor insert" flying out on a fired case did not stop the next round from feeding and firing, either. That of course leaves a rather odd looking fire formed case....

I guess the Navy re-barreled a bunch to 7.62 X 51, after scrapping the Rube Goldberg "Adapter /insert" lash up.

Dunno about the Army,.....

GTC

© 24hourcampfire