Home
i bud gave me the dvd earlier today and i just watched it. amazing what dick was able to accomplish by himself.

does anyone know the type and caliber rifle he used in the video? did he use just one rifle, or was he known for using more?

thanks
It looked like a Springfield '03 to me, but I don't know what barrel was on it, probably '06, though. I've seen that a dozen times, but never really got a good look at the rifle.
If this is the same flick I see one of the local "public TV" stations air every year during their fund-raising call-a-thon, I'm about 90% certain the fellow is shooting a .30/06, and I'd also bet a sporterized '03 (or very similar design).

When was the Winchester M54 first built?
It's a sporterized Springfield in 30-06. I have his book, One Man's Wilderness and he mentions it in his list of gear he brought in. He also says he had a .357 Mag with cartridge belt and holster, though he never has it on him in the video. Love watching that movie and the book was a good read too. They recently released a second book, I have not gotten it yet. Ryan
This link will take you to "More Reading about One Man's Wilderness"
http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/lacl/proenneke.pdf
I don't know the answer about the rifle in in this but he does talk about carring the "big pistol".

Tarheel
thanks for the replies men.
I've been watching it on YouTube. Amazing that the guy was age 51 when he did this.
When I watched that Alone in the Wilderness video, I couldn't help but think about this Jeremiah Johnson exchange:

Jeremiah Johnson: Y'ever get lonesome?

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Fer what?

Jeremiah Johnson: Woman?

Bear Claw Chris Lapp: Full time night woman?

I never could find no tracks on a woman's heart.

I packed me a squaw for ten year, Pilgrim. Cheyenne, she were, and the meanest bitch that ever balled for beads.

I lodge-poled her at Deadwood Creek, and traded her for a Hawken gun.

But don't get me wrong; I loves the womens, I surely do.

But I swear, a woman's breast is the hardest rock that the Almighty ever made on this earth, and I can find no sign on it.
© 24hourcampfire