Home
Posted By: Mosby Proud of my daughter - 01/31/11
I'm just proud of my 5 year old daughter and need to brag a little more.

We volunteer with our local Akita breed rescue organization. We spent all day yesterday at a huge all breed adoption event. In additon to transporting dogs, setting up and tearing down; we spend the majority of the day handling the dogs and talking with people doing breed education and hopefully finding homes for our displaced dogs.

I got an e-mail tonight from the head of our rescue organization thanking everyone for their help yesterday. She mentioned me and my daughter specifically by name. She also mentioned that we found homes for 3 of our dogs during the event; Kumo, Kona and Cubbie.

I read the email out load to my 5 year old daughter. When I got to the part where I mentioned the dogs who found homes, her face absolutely lit up with a smile. Then she said, "Well I guess we need to get more Akitas and find them homes too!"

I think she gets it and understands. It's one of those lessons that isn't taught in a classroom and I think only comes by experiencing it firsthand. I just wish that more parents took an active role in teaching their kids to volunteer and give some time to a labor of love.

http://www.akitaadvocates.com/adopt.php
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Proud of my daughter - 01/31/11
and well you should be
Posted By: NurseKat Re: Proud of my daughter - 01/31/11
EXCELLENT PARENTING!!! Excellent example to other parents as well!!!! Good for you and good for your lil girl!!
Posted By: RickyD Re: Proud of my daughter - 01/31/11
Teaching them the right values is no small thing but is the most important thing. Keep up the good work.
© 24hourcampfire