Home
Posted By: mack5511 Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
To all,

I would like to find some plans to build a gardening table to raise herbs and tomatoes etc on my back deck. I have a copy of autocad so I can open and view CAD drawings but any type of picture with the dimensions on it would be awesome. I sure would appreciate input from the fire as to dimensions and upgrades to the basic concept. I am posting a picture of what I have found on the web so far. This is approximately what I am looking for.

Mack

[Linked Image]
outdoorwoodenfurniture_2141_97947425 by mack5511, on Flickr
Posted By: eh76 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
Autocad for a gardening table? You have a picture so build it! You can guesstimate dimensions from that picture quite easily. The bottom shelf appears to be comprised of 14 1x4's with about an inch gap between them. 4x4 legs. 3- 2x4's used for sides
Posted By: Winnie Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
^
I love guesstimation.

It might explain my grade in Geometry. grin

As for dimensions

I would say it is 6 long x 4 tall x 2 wide.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
^
I love guesstimation.

It might explain my grade in Geometry. grin

As for dimensions

I would say it is 6 long x 4 tall x 2 wide.

Yep!
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
Well elkhunter, that is right I do not have to use Autocad for the plans but if someone knows of a place that has the drawings it would be great to know. I found a couple of sites that have user submitted drawings and thought with all the variety of people we have here at the fire someone else may have some knowledge I don't.

Here is one I have found but it did not have what I was looking for.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/cadfiles/tables.htm
I found you a planting table

http://www.wrcla.org/cedarprojects/planters/pottingbench.asp
I am also open to suggestions about any other types of tables that might be in use by fire members. Could be an L shape or different height or a completely different design. Just open for suggestions is all!

Mack
Originally Posted by mack5511
Well elkhunter, that is right I do not have to use Autocad for the plans but if someone knows of a place that has the drawings it would be great to know. I found a couple of sites that have user submitted drawings and thought with all the variety of people we have here at the fire someone else may have some knowledge I don't.

Here is one I have found but it did not have what I was looking for.

http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/cadfiles/tables.htm

I don't get it. You have a great picture of one you like. Dimensions easily obtained from the pic. Why do you need plans? I guess I am a bit confused....
And we even gave you some pretty good dimensions to work off.

But let me work this up.

Those boards on the actual planting area look 6 inch tall so it would be about

Planting area

18" tall
6' long
2' wide

Stand

2x4 cut to your waist line.
6' by about 1" for the support beams
same wood as mentioned above for ribs

Elkhunter,

I don't "need" plans I was soliciting input from the other fire members on:

1. Whether anyone is using or has built a table similar to the one in the picture?

2. As part of that does anyone know of any place that may have CAD drawings for projects or barring that the dimensional drawings for other projects.

3. If anyone does use a table for gardening do they have any tricks or things they like to do to garden with them i.e. maybe running a soaker hose with a control valve etc

4. I used the picture in my original post as an example of what I was talking about because in my googlefoo searches it seems like I kept getting a planter table rather than one to plant in. I was trying to clarify my post.

I am sorry for any confusion I caused and hope this helps. I guess you could say I was making conversation. I know there are lots of gardeners and do it yourselfers here at the fire.

Mack
OK my bad. I misunderstood. I thought you wanted to build one like that and needed plans. You might talk to flyboyflem. He has a commercial operation. I wish I had the space and climate to put in a good garden.

AS far as item 3, I built a watering system out of a 55 gal plastic barrel which is under a downspout to catch rain water. In the bottom I installed a gate valve and attached a hose which feeds a drip system for my tomato plants.

The table is a good idea if you have the sun exposure and the place to put it. I use containers which are basically re-cycled mineral feeders for livestock.
Sorry for the confusion.
We have a nice concrete pad that doubles as a "back deck" plenty of sun and close to the back door. I have been thinking of a table so the herbs and frequently used vegetables would be at a handy height. I think some wheels and maybe a plexi-glass cover so if we get frost here I could cover the plants would be handy. This would be a small version if it works I would like to build a little bigger version with some tires that would move over the lawn. Then I could just move it out of the weather and into the garage.

I would love something like that...got about 6 inches of frost on the ground since 2 PM and more coming grin headed beleow zero again tonight. Sure wish I had an herb garden!
Well until 4 years ago I lived in MN and grew up 35 miles South of International Falls so I feel your pain with the cold weather. I love the fact that I can grow herbs and vegetables almost all year round here. Now I just need to get the right setup. I figure it is a good start with a table for the herbs and maybe peppers and tomatoes.

I love to cook and there is just something about being able to use fresh herbs that makes it even better.

I agree! Whatever you do try to incorporate a drip system as the even watering is very beneficial I have found.
Well Sams club had a table with a splitter valve on the back that sent the water to a sprayer head or to a drip hose I am thinking of something like that. I will also have rain barrels so that should help too.

Posted By: ironbender Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
Originally Posted by elkhunter76
Sure wish I had an herb garden!

It would just make you hungry.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/08/11
That looks like a great little project! Might have to put a couple together for the spring.

What wood? Probably cedar eh?
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 02/09/11
I am going to use cedar for anything I make. Just have to decide on a design I do like the looks of the table I posted. I have to decide if I want to L shape it or not or just make 2.

Mack
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 03/20/11
Update on the gardening table. I went smaller than the one in the pic but I think it will work out much lighter and easier to maneuver. Started with some Basil, Thyme, Rosemary and 2 tomato plants(one heirloom and one cherry). I think one more table with a double sidewall will do great for peppers, onions etc What does everyone else grow in a container/raised garden type environment.

Here is a pic of my first attempt at herbs and tomatoes in the table.

[Linked Image]
IMAG0039 by mack5511, on Flickr
Posted By: eh76 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 03/20/11
Nice! A little too early here to put plants out or or even start them grin
Posted By: mack5511 Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 04/02/11
Well table #2 has now been added this one with 12" sidewalls. Now in addition to the first herbs and tomato plants I have added 2 different types of tomato's and some onions, chives and cilantro with a Serrano and red red hot bell pepper plants. I am thinking I am getting addicted as I am already planning what to plant in #3. May need a gardening intervention if this keeps up. I saw Bart's hay bale planter and thought that that might work with a slight variation in the table. Good luck and good planting to all the gardeners out there.

Mack

[Linked Image]IMAG0005.jpg by mack5511, on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMAG0003.jpg by mack5511, on Flickr
Posted By: OIDabble Re: Gardening Table Plans? - 04/02/11
If you put a cleat on each side you can seperate them a little more and put another box in between em, get more use out of your legs.
© 24hourcampfire