Home
I have never driven one with these lights but it seems like they are very bright when you meet these cars on the road.

When I was a kid all of the street lights were this blue white color, and now they have been replaced with a rose white that puts more light on the ground.

For anyone that has driven them, do the new blue white lights put more light on the road, or do you have to drive with your lights on bright?
back in august i drove a rental car that had them and near as i could tell they seemed to help ease the strain on my eyes while driving at night. now when i am driving and i meet up with someone coming the other way that has them i [bleep] hate them they hurt my eyes to the point that after they have passed me my eyes hurt for about 30 -40 seconds and make blink till it stops. so in conclusion i dont know if it is just my eyes or if other people have experianced the same.
when a tall truck with them is right behind you, they about melt down the mirror glass they're so bright.
I suspect many of the cars are driving around with their lights on high so they can see.
I only like them on my truck, not anyone elses. laugh
NO!
how about yellow tint like the French use?

I personally like the Blue lights.. but I don't have them on my vehicles..
I've been thinking about putting them on my '91 Chev pickup. The stock lights are pathetic.
I like em, put the aftermarket "Silverstar" Xenon Halogen ones on both of our trucks, use the high beams a heck of a lot less since.
IMHO, the blue ones and the yellow ones should be illegal. And driving around with fog lights on when there is no rain or fog should merit neutering.
I hate the things!!
I believe the light folks are talking about here are HID factory lights which are very expensive. The best upgrade for the least amount of $$ is to upgrade the stock 9004 bulbs in your factory headlight housings with PIAA replacement bulbs, which are legal too. I believe they call them "Super White".
Originally Posted by WyoJoe
I hate the things!!
+1
Originally Posted by RDFinn
I believe the light folks are talking about here are HID factory lights which are very expensive. The best upgrade for the least amount of $$ is to upgrade the stock 9004 bulbs in your factory headlight housings with PIAA replacement bulbs, which are legal too. I believe they call them "Super White".

the 9004s are halogen & fairly bright imho. pick 'em up most parts stores for around $10 depending.

the xeon are very expensive, prolly in the $150 range & need special electronic equipment within the cicuit of your vehicle.

-ken

All of them I've met around here are easier on my eyes than the halogen, so long as they dim their lights.
The dip shticks that can't seem to figger out a dimmer switch get my driving lights. They dim'em right quick.
Not really: http://www.amazon.com/XTEC-Xenon-Halogen-Headlight-Bulbs/dp/B002TT1U0O
I have a couple of nigh power LED flashlights and I have noticed deer eyes reflect much better with them. Do the xenon headlights do the same thing? I would think they would, they are only a little more blue than the LEDs
The PIAA 9004 is a replacement for 9004 halogen bulbs. Not cheap, but they are alot brighter than stock halogen bulbs. Factory halogens are 55/65 watt hi/lo beam and the PIAA is 100/110 watt but draws the same amount of current as a factory 55/65 W bulb does.
I am too old and technologically unsophisticated to know what each of the new options are. I just know that I positively detest meeting some of the new ones.
I hate the things!!

+2
Don't like them and think I hear rap music everytime I see them.

I installed a jumper in my relay/fuse box that keeps my dims on when I go to brights. You wanna talk flame thrower lights!! That with the fog lights on illuminates the area.
the PIAA is 100/110 watt but draws the same amount of current as a factory 55/65 W bulb does

Do you mean it supplies twice as many lumens?

Without a voltage change you can't consume twice the power without increasing the current.
Originally Posted by Otter
IMHO, the blue ones and the yellow ones should be illegal. And driving around with fog lights on when there is no rain or fog should merit neutering.

+1
I replaced my factory headlamps with Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. It made quite a difference. They aren't the super-blue-white kind but they add significantly to how I can see at night. As a pilot, I learned how to look near but not at a bright light without being blinded. It helps.

Don't know the technical name for those bright blue headlights but I hope and pray there's a place in the foulest depths of Hell reserved for people who drive with them.

- Tom
Originally Posted by mathman
the PIAA is 100/110 watt but draws the same amount of current as a factory 55/65 W bulb does

Do you mean it supplies twice as many lumens?

Without a voltage change you can't consume twice the power without increasing the current.

Picky....picky..........grin. Yes, that is what I should have said that they are as bright as a 100/110 bulb.
I ABSOLUTELY despise them!!!

Who ever the idiot is that came up with those, outta be strung up by the nads...
If you can't see the [bleep] road, then clean yer [bleep] windshield...
I imagine a lot of the problem people have with folks who have them on their vehicle comes from the lights being improperly adjusted. They do make night time driving ALOT safer especially in areas without street lighting.
never used them and hate having to deal with them in oncoming vehicles.
Hate the damn things!!!!!!!!!!!!
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I replaced my factory headlamps with Sylvania SilverStar bulbs. It made quite a difference. They aren't the super-blue-white kind but they add significantly to how I can see at night. As a pilot, I learned how to look near but not at a bright light without being blinded. It helps.

+1. My wife can't stand how far I turn down the light rheostat for the instrumentation either.
I still have very good night vision, and much prefer to do long trips at night such as the drive up to our place in Canada. I have a pair of B&L night driving glasses I picked up at Hammacher about 20 some years ago that greatly ease glare and night driving. Oncoming HID's in normal mode don't bother me at all. Brights do.
I wonder if car makers are using HID lights in the high beams ? I believe they are only used in low beam mode.
Yes.
Depends on which side of the light I'm on.

I put silverstars in the wife's van. They seem decent without the obnoxiousness of the HID lights.

Even better are after market Hellas, PIAAs, or similar on the bumper or brush guard. We call them moose lights for the open hwy.
Originally Posted by lmartin
back in august i drove a rental car that had them and near as i could tell they seemed to help ease the strain on my eyes while driving at night. now when i am driving and i meet up with someone coming the other way that has them i [bleep] hate them they hurt my eyes to the point that after they have passed me my eyes hurt for about 30 -40 seconds and make blink till it stops. so in conclusion i dont know if it is just my eyes or if other people have experianced the same.

+1
....And driving around with fog lights on when there is no rain or fog should merit neutering.

The fog lights on my truck illuminate the sides of the road very well, which incidentially is where all the deer that love to jump in front of cars come from. I care a lot more about not hitting any more deer than I do about not pissing you off with my fog lights.
yes i like them
I hate the things!!

Ditto, especially prior to having my cataract's fixed.
Originally Posted by ironbender
Depends on which side of the light I'm on.

I put silverstars in the wife's van. They seem decent without the obnoxiousness of the HID lights.

Even better are after market Hellas, PIAAs, or similar on the bumper or brush guard. We call them moose lights for the open hwy.

Exactly
They are great from behind.
When I was working night shift, I would have nothing else.
Even to point of paying some big $$$ for them.
( and they never lasted long )

But now the Sylvanias etc are available in the big stores.

But on coming? I hate them. I wish people would align their beams.
It is not that I don't like them, it is the fact that I hate to have them come at me on the highway, like others have said they make my eyes hurt.
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
....And driving around with fog lights on when there is no rain or fog should merit neutering.

The fog lights on my truck illuminate the sides of the road very well, which incidentially is where all the deer that love to jump in front of cars come from. I care a lot more about not hitting any more deer than I do about not pissing you off with my fog lights.

+1 - well said.
© 24hourcampfire