Home
Posted By: Kimber7man DeColores! - 02/14/11
Man what a weekend! Anyone here go through it???
Posted By: Rooney Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
Kimber7man...yes, in 1984. Was involved with many, many weekends over the years. Some of the weekend seems to stay with you. Glad you enjoyed it!
Posted By: 340boy Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
Originally Posted by Kimber7man

Yup, did it in 1997, I think it was.
Quite a weekend, indeed.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
is that like a rainbow coalition thing?
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

laugh
It's a Catholic thing, Sam. Sort of a weekend religious retreat, I guess you could say.
Posted By: Rooney Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
340...It has also been "adopted" by Anglicans as well. We had many different denominations pass through the weekends over the years, even baptists!
Originally Posted by Rooney
340...It has also been "adopted" by Anglicans as well. We had many different denominations pass through the weekends over the years, even baptists!

Rooney,
You're right! I forgot about the Anglican's and others adoptation of Cursillo.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

laugh
It's a Catholic thing, Sam. Sort of a weekend religious retreat, I guess you could say.

thanks. I honestly did not know that. My wife is Catholic, I'll ask her for more info.

I have been on many weekend retreats with the Baptists and Methodists myself.
Posted By: Seven_Heaven Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
DeColores Marty!

I spent that wonderful weekend in 1998 if I remember right. One of the best experiences in my walk. We had Methodists, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians, AOGs probably more that I'm unaware of.
My wife and daughter went a couple of months after me. To me it's the way church could and should be, total accord.

Glad to here you went and blessings to ya!
Posted By: hunter1960 Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11

Went in 2009 through a Methodist Church in Mid. TN.. I've volunteered with other "Walk to Ammas" programs in the past two years.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: DeColores! - 02/14/11
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
DeColores Marty!

I spent that wonderful weekend in 1998 if I remember right. One of the best experiences in my walk. We had Methodists, Catholics, Lutherans, Baptists, Presbyterians, AOGs probably more that I'm unaware of.
My wife and daughter went a couple of months after me. To me it's the way church could and should be, total accord.

Glad to here you went and blessings to ya!

De Colores from W TX too! I had the wonderful weekend about 8 years ago. As stated, it's not just a Catholic thing. Congrats.
Posted By: Kimber7man Re: DeColores! - 02/15/11
Ours was full of all sorts - even non-believers. What a wild ride!!!
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: DeColores! - 02/15/11
We went through it years ago. At that time, it was called Chrissio or something like that. It was the same thing from what I understand. The men's version was great. However, when my wife went through it the next weekend, they shoveled them a bunch of unscriptural stuff. It was too many years ago to remember exactly what they said, but she was pretty upset. This one was run by the local Episcopalian church that's ultra liberal. They're into homosex, abortion, etc.
Posted By: efw Re: DeColores! - 02/15/11
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I've volunteered with other "Walk to Emmaus" programs

This is the one my wife and I have been through. Fantastic time of clarification and refreshment; its the Methodist version of DeColores though I'm an Old School Presbyterian.

We sang the song and everything...
Posted By: DMB Re: DeColores! - 02/15/11

DeColores!
I did the weekend in 1983.
A wonderful weekend it was.
It started on the island of Myorca, off the coast of Spain.

Don
Posted By: ExpatFromOK Re: DeColores! - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by hunter1960
I've volunteered with other "Walk to Emmaus" programs

This is the one my wife and I have been through. Fantastic time of clarification and refreshment; its the Methodist version of DeColores though I'm an Old School Presbyterian.

I did the "Walk to Emmaus" in '98 in Blackstone, VA. It was a great weekend.

Expat
Posted By: Barak Re: DeColores! - 02/16/11
I went through an Episcopal Cursillo sometime in the early 90s, although I've never been an Episcopalian. Then I served on a Cursillo team, which was kinda cool; since then I've served on between 20 and 30 Kairos teams, which is always drop-dead flat amazing.

I've been around lots of Cursillo, C*m Cristo, Via de Cristo, Kairos Outside, and Walk to Emmaus weekends as well, frequently playing music for them, although I'm not officially on the team.

It's a good thing.
Posted By: Barak Re: DeColores! - 02/16/11
Originally Posted by efw

Did they tell you the story behind the song?

That song is...well, halfway decent, I guess...in Spanish, but the English translation of it they have is freakin' mizzzzerable.

But whenever I'm Head Musician on a Kairos weekend, I always explain and lead the song, regardless of how stupid the English version is, because I think it's an important link to the larger community. Most of the other Head Musicians bag it, though, because it's either stupid (in English) or hard to teach (in Spanish).
Posted By: efw Re: DeColores! - 02/16/11
No I never heard the story on the song... though I agree it is pretty corny in English...
Posted By: Mathsr Re: DeColores! - 02/16/11
I went on the "Walk to Emmaus" a few years ago and it is not something to be passed up! Fantastic weekend!
Posted By: Bryant Re: DeColores! - 02/17/11
I attend Emmaus about two years ago. It was a great experience. My wife and most of her family as been as well.
Posted By: Barak Re: DeColores! - 02/25/11
Originally Posted by efw
No I never heard the story on the song... though I agree it is pretty corny in English...

There are several different versions of the story, but the one I tell goes like this:

One of the very first Catholic Cursillo weekends was held in Spain at a monastery at the top of a mountain. After the weekend, the candidates were all riding down the mountain on a bus, talking about their experiences, when the bus broke down and they had to wait for repairs. It was evening on a glorious summer day, and so they all sat in the grass at the side of the road with a small family farm and a breathtaking sunset spread out in front of them and made up that song together.
© 24hourcampfire