Home
I bought a new weatherby vanguard that has a big weatherby sticker on the bottom of forarm. Pulled sticker off but it left a bunch of adhesive (sticky stuff) on the stock. How do I get the adhesive off with out ruining the finish on stock??? Thanks for input. rbh
Sweets 7.62 solvent or Barnes CR-10...

Even Hoppes #9 works reasonably well...
I wouldn't use anything harsh. That Weatherby gloss sucks donkey nuts...WD40 will remove adhesive kindly.. and it would be the only time I'd let it (WD40) touch one of my firearms.
WD40 and a rag.
RatherBHuntin;
I work in a cabinet shop and have often recommended this stuff for removing sticky messes from cabinet doors.

http://www.googone.com/

If it doesn't wreck the finish we put on cabinets, which is not as tough as is commonly used on gun stocks, I'd expect it to work very well there.

Hopefully that was some use to you and good luck with your stock.

Regards,
Dwayne
Just like Karnis said,WD-40 and a rag.

Stan in SC
goop hand cleaner
200 grit sandpaper on a belt sander and then a hammer and chisel
spit or coke
+1 on WD-40 and GooGone, I have used both. Neither seem to bother wood finish in the least.
Some good suggestions so far.

OOOO steel wool will do it as well, and used on the rest of the stock will take just enough shine off to civilize the finish.
Alcohol will usually work. It does wonders for removing most inks too.
No WD40? Cooking oil and a rough rag works on a lot of label glues.
WD-40.It's fish oil and will not harm the stock
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Alcohol will usually work.

Alcohol DOES work! Makes you forget all about the sticky stuff...... grin
Originally Posted by saddlesore

So that's why it tastes so good. grin
Spray olive oil. Spray it on a cloth and rub the sticky off.
If you don't have olive oil, use a little peanut butter on a rag. The oil will breakup the tacky residue.
skin so soft.....my wife turned me on to that stuff for removing sticky stuff.

Tony
G-96 triple action gun treatment is my first choice but most any lite oil will remove gummy stuff.

http://www.g96.com/gun_treatment.html
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Alcohol will usually work.

Alcohol DOES work! Makes you forget all about the sticky stuff...... grin

Yer all over the place tonite laugh .

Getting lubricated (with good wizzkey) does make you forget many things....... IIRC.
Hair dryer................
Noooooooo!
I've used lighter fluid on a lot of stuff. Don't let it soak, though. It will soften the glue very fast, then wipe it off quickly.
Thanks guys, I think I'll try the alcohol first and light gun oil or vegtable oil next.
goop hand cleaner works real good its what we use to remove the residue from masking tape.
Naptha.
Originally Posted by Karnis
WD40 and a rag.

+1
Naptha (lighter fluid) cuts through rubber based adhesives used on labels and tape like a hot knife through butter. It leaves no residue, like WD40 does, and will not attack the finish.

I use it in my music store to remove stickers from electric guitars without damaging the finish. Use it in a well ventilated area.
Where are those little gold stickers that say "Made in China" made?
Originally Posted by saddlesore

That's why some of the local guides spray it on baits. They claim it really improves their clients catch rates.
Originally Posted by hicountry

Tony

whistle
Originally Posted by doubletap
Originally Posted by hicountry

Tony

whistle

whistle whistle
Most of the time, a "sticker" warmed a tad with a hair dryer first, will peel off and take the adhesive with it, rather than leaving the gunk on the surface. Especially on plastics and varnished finishes.

Naturally, one has to proceed carefully with applied heat.

I've had good results with rubbing or denatured alcohol on some adhesive residues. Denatured alcohol is far more effective than rubbing alcohol, which has a high water content.

If that doesn't do it, then lighter fluid (naptha), mineral spirits, or as a last resort - lacquer thinner. Most of the GooGone paint and tar remover products are based on lacquer thinnner.

WD40 dissolves quite a few adhesives.
1 qt Benzene
1 qt acetone
3 T clorine bleach
1/4 cup Drano
100 capsuals pseudoephedrine

Mix it all together and boil it on the kitchen stove for 1/2 hour.

Strain the mix through 4 layers of cheese cloth and let it dry.

crazy

Add 1 t to a cup of coffee and go to work on the stock.

You'll be working on it for days and nights and days and nights ...................
laugh laugh laugh
Seriously though.

De-Solv-it citrus solution.

I always keep a bottle in the house for removing decals and adhesives. It works great and it's very mild. I even use it to remove juniper sap on my dog.
© 24hourcampfire