Home
Because I have a book recommendation. Open Season by CJ Box.

It is about a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Pickett. He is hard working and a very devoted family man.

Check out the book and get addicted like I did then read the whole series.

Winnie1300
Thanks for the tip. I am a voracious reader myself, when time allows.
Originally Posted by Winnie1300

It is about a Wyoming Game Warden named Joe Pickett. He is hard working and a very devoted family man.

Winnie1300

Please send me a man who reads.

no, i haven't read or even heard tell of that book, but i will look it up. is it available on Kindle, or do you know?
Will look for it. Thanks.
I would venture the guess that most here are avid readers. After all isn't that what we are really doing here most of the time. Reading what others have written.
My wife and I have read the whole series.
I have read the book... very good book... i just now need to get the next one.
I have read the book. I have known Chuck Box for years. Good read.
Love to read - have posted a book recommendation thread here myself.

Thanks for the recommendation -I will check it out!

--Duck911
Thanks for the recommendation, just downloaded it.
At one time my wife said I had to get rid of the books I had bought over the years. Took them to the used book store and it took me 4 of their book cart loads to get them in. The guy told me the max they can give at one time is 100 bucks and I could make more money bringing in some every week.

I told him I'd get killed if I brought some back home, give me the hundred... it was over 900 paperback books.

I don't read books at home much ever since I've had to need reading glasses, just very uncomfortable after a short time. I do read when I'm camping during the down time.

I remember sometimes missing my bus stop coming home from school because I was scrunched down reading, the bus driver eventually made sure I got out everyday because he was pissed having to drive me back...lol

My daughter has the disease and reads a book in a couple hours, she'll go through three in a weekend.

I'll look up your book.

Kent
Read it about a month ago. I will be looking for more of the books in the series. I read 2 to 4 novels a month.

Ernie
i pretty much live with my kindle in my hand... i read constantly
Savage Run is the next one.

http://www.amazon.com/Open-Season-J...mp;ie=UTF8&qid=1307240202&sr=1-1
Guilty. Reading is true therapy(in the same vein as shooting}. Fiction, non, Bio, SCi-Fi. I make sure i watch that movie "Farenhiet 451" once a year to remind me how invaluable books are. I think i would be more upset if someone stole my books instead of my car....
As for the question

How many are man enough to admit they read?

hopefully more than will admit they lay in ignorance because they lack the effort to learn.
I love to read. My wife reads when the topic interests her but her choices are mostly non-fiction. Her dad is from Wacross, GA, and she enjoys reading about the civil war because of her southern heritage.
Currently I am reading "Horse Soldiers" by Doug Stanton. About special forces who went into Afghanistan shortly after 9/11 and rode horses into combat. Non=fiction by the way.
I also enjoy Harry Turtledove's alternative history pieces,John Birmingham, and Douglas Preston/Lincoln Child's work.
I think a thread on favorite authors might be interesting.
Man enough to admit? Hmm, curious as hell why you would even think some would be embarrassed to admit?
There's a saying:
Learn to read so you can read to learn.

I heard it as a kid and never forgot it. I love to read but I don't read as much as I'd like to.

Reading something is only half the job.

Thinking about what you have read is the other half.
Good point. My remote cabin has a "library" of - I dunno- I'm guessing 5 to 6 hundred books. All of which I've read several times over the last 40 years. Mostly escapement junk. Maybe 30-50 "thinking books". But who wants to think on vacation..... smile At home-I've still got - and re-read sections of - some of my college texts.

The question should read "who is a non-reading zero?"
You should see my pile of paperbacks on the shelf and in the storage unit. It's rather impressive if I do say so myself.

Mostly nowadays I read before falling asleep every night. Mostly crime and mystery with a few westerns.
I cheat - the ones I don't want to keep/reread (junk or not) I take into the civilization library and exchange for other books to read which I don't want to keep. They have a couple racks for "exchange books".

It would be wrong not to buy "keepers". Tho judging by what is often on the exchange racks, not everyone feels this way. Sometimes it is hard to find anything at all worth reading, even once, there...

A guy can get the DT's out here in the villages.....
I love to read. Thanks for the tip.

Winnie1300

I don't know anyone that doesn't read.....
I enjoy a good book, but they are hard to find.

Three Against the Wilderness is a favorite.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
Man enough to admit? Hmm, curious as hell why you would even think some would be embarrassed to admit?

I'm curious on that, too.
I'd be much more embarrassed to admit I played video games or watched a lot of tv. Reading is worthwhile, tv only marginally so. Most of what's on tv isn't worth wasting the electricity to run the blasted thing, let alone watching. Video games aren't allowed in this house. I'd sooner sit with the kids and make mud pies in the cattle yard.

I read 2-3 novels a week, plus newspapers and of course here. I am currently revisiting James Clavels novels of Japan.
Originally Posted by T LEE
I read 2-3 novels a week, plus newspapers and of course here. I am currently revisiting James Clavels novels of Japan.

Ah, the Shogun series. T, you're a fascinating fellah. wink

As to the question, I read like I eat, i.e., a lot. And only a jackass would be ashamed of being a reader.

That's impressive, I'm at about one a month. Just finished "Unbroken", good read, I'm sure you already got through it. Louie Zamperini, never heard of him, now he has my utmost respect.
I don't read a lot of books , but will put the time into them now and again. Last one was Unintended Consequences by John Ross , my wife found the pdf and put it on the kindle after someone recomended the book and we saw what amazon was charging for the hardcover version.
I read 2-3 novels a week,.....

I read a ton, but never novels/fiction.

I just never could get in to reading somebody else's mental fabrications, where everything is pre-planned and coordinated, and dependent on other fabrications to continue the "story". They are designed to steer you in a certain direction, or to almost force you to think you know what's coming, just so they can switch it up. Seems like a petty game to me.

Not a slam at those who do; they're just not for me, at all.

I agree, reading is only half of the program, understanding that the author displays a tendency toward liberal policy that views gun-control as a viable crime fighting tool, I tend to not want to pay someone to aadvocate a policy that I pay someone else to oppose. In other words, why pay for a book by an author who supports gun-control when you pay the NRA to oppose it? There are quite a few authors who write nice stories about the outdoors and such but have an underlying tone of tolerance only for those who share their views.In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris
Winnie... dude... seriously, if you are hanging with guys who think it's lame to read you might want to think about a shift in your buddies.... you want to be an Officer someday right? smile

I agree with you about the CJ Box books being a good read.
I've read all of the series and don't remember that as something I noticed.
In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris

Not saying you didn't I'm saying I missed any such character flaws.
I did not mean anything by the title. It was a joke.

I have no clue what type of imbecile would be ashamed to admit they read.

Anyway CJ Box's books are some of the best I read.
Originally Posted by dodgefan
I've read all of the series and don't remember that as something I noticed.
In several of the C. J. Box novels he questions the wisdom of allowing civilians the use of firearms for protection but yet arms his hero with weapons.Chris

Not saying you didn't I'm saying I missed any such character flaws.

I never noticed that either. Maybe I will look for it while reading it again.
i read, you might also like the Alex Rider series. it starts with Stormbreaker... its about a kid who gets drafted by MI6 in Europe when he is only 15... lots of neat story telling.
Yep, I am up to Gai-Jin again, read them years ago before the Richard Chamberlin Mini-series was made!
Winnie, you just HAVE to read the Capstick & Corbet books. If NOTHING else by them, read Death in the Tall Grass.
One of my favorite books is Lonesome Dove. Only 1,000 pages and I was sorry to reach the end.
Winnie needs to read Bram Stokers Dracula on a dark night in a graveyard by candlelight all by himself............
Dodgefan: I have a knack for picking up on subtle things. If you like his writing by all means, read it, I prefer not to. Chris
I like to read books about the military, mainly The War Betwwen The States and WW2.
Nelson Demille is a favorite author of mine.
T Lee, I loved King Rat and Tai Pan along with Shogun, my favorite novels.

For the last twenty years or so I've very rarely read any fiction and find nonfiction more entertaining and exciting. I did get started on novels by Cormac McCarty until I started wanting to slit my wrists.

I'm usually have three or four books that I am reading at any one time and have found it a good idea to always have a book available. They come in handy while waiting on appointments, the wife or something unexpected.
Winnie, you just HAVE to read the Capstick & Corbet books. If NOTHING else by them, read Death in the Tall Grass.

long grass, Obewon....long grass
Originally Posted by Tom264
Winnie needs to read Bram Stokers Dracula on a dark night in a graveyard by candlelight all by himself............

Or Larry Kaniut's Alaska Bear Tales in a tent by headlight on an Alaskan hunting trip. smile
I never noticed that either. Maybe I will look for it while reading it again.

Most readers, and even movie goers, miss the best parts.
I'm no less guilty than the next guy, having had many nuances pointed out to me after the fact.

many times I enjoy the reviews and other commentary after just as much as the original reading or viewing.
then I have to go back and read/see it again smile

But then again, often times I"m the only one I know who catches the really interesting little bylines and side thoughts. I'm surrounded by idjits and it gets really boring. One of the reasons I come here.... mental stimulation is sorely lacking in every part of the country I've been or lived.

Kinda ties in with my sig line below. Most times I can't decide if I'm bored with hatred or just hate boredom. Thank God for this here campfire and the friends I"ve gotten to know here. There's lots of good people in the world and there's lots of smart ones. Those few that are both are worth whatever effort required, including wasting time perusing the interrnet.

I think I may have read the Alex Rider book. Not sure.

I also like The Cat Who series. It is a mystery series with a bunch of different books.
If you like mysteries I highly recommend the "Holmes on the Range" series by Steven Hockensmith. They are are couple of brother cowboys solving mysteries using "The Holmsien method" on the frontier. Highly entertaining. I just read the latest out at camp this weekend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmes_on_the_Range

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steve_Hockensmith
I'm currently muddling my way through The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest (the beginning, IMHO is slooooow) and I am of Irelaunde. As a rule, I generally have a couple going at any given time.

Reading keeps me sane and kept me out of a lot of trouble in high school. I don't do well with "down time".....I tend to get "creative".

George
Originally Posted by Gus

Please send me a man who reads.

Say what??!!
My Amazon habit runs me about 150 bucks a month. I like hard backs.

My wife owns a bookstore, so I can support my habit fairly economically.

Wish she owned a gun-store, that'd be a hell of a lot better.

Love to read, if any hasn't read the Steig Larson "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series, I highly recommend it. I thought those were really well written.

I also like Ivan Doig.

One of my favorite books is Indian Creek Chronicles by Pete Fromm, a great read also.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO

long grass, Obewon....long grass

YES SIR, you of course are correct Steve, my bad.

Anyway I think it the best of the genre.
I read a great deal, but I do not enjoy fiction.
I use fiction as a mindless escape much like many that stare at the TV.
T, when ya think about it, War and Police work can be written up true to detail and it STILL appears to be fantasy most times.
I carry my Nook color pretty much everywhere now. I have manuals for work on it as well as books and other bs. I would hate to not have it now. Even am guilty of reading in the tree stand.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
Even am guilty of reading in the tree stand.

It's rare I take to the woods for a day of hunting without a paperback in the pack. I have spent many a time in an undercut bank or in a couple of known "caves" on our place during a rainstorm with a book.

Here's a small cave on our Kentucky place. It's about 6 feet in diameter. I sat out a three hour rainstorm a couple years ago with a Vince Flynn book. When it ended worked my way back down the mountain to a stand and killed my best buck ever.

I wonder how many bunters over the centuries have taken shelter there?

[Linked Image]
I have a camouflage Bible I take to the stand.
Louie L'amour's "Sackett" books should be mandatory reading for every guy...
Originally Posted by Gus

.... is it available on Kindle, or do you know?

That sentence reminds me of the old Peanuts cartoon showing Lucy pushing a TV on a cart and running over Linus, who's on the floor reading a book...

It's just WRONG on so many counts.. laugh laugh
Man enough to admit they read? What a dumb thing to say. . . .

Winnie1300

Don't ever get started on Wilbur Smith.
Only 2 books I read in the last 30 odd years are Silent Warrior & Marine Sniper, awesome books!!
Originally Posted by gorskij
Only 2 books I read in the last 30 odd years are Silent Warrior & Marine Sniper, awesome books!!

There's a whole new world awaitin you out there.
I too always take a book into the woods with me. When sitting and waiting, what better way to remain motionless is there?

I read, on average, two books a week (and have done so for over four decades). Usually mysteries, thrillers, and some military history. Favorite author: James Lee Burke. If you haven't read him, do.

I just wish that authors would take the time to research the firearms they "use" in their writing. (Burke does.)
You might like the John Ringo series of books,I just finished one of his 5 book series.
He does science fiction also.
So far all have been good reads,one I liked and plan to read again is The Last Centurion.
Originally Posted by CowboyTim

+1 i haven't been reading half as much lately as i would like but it isn't a man thing at all people read and enjoy i don't know a single person who is ashamed or anyone that looks down at anybody for reading.Not even the good for nothing teenagers laugh
Originally Posted by ironbender
Originally Posted by Tom264

Or Larry Kaniut's Alaska Bear Tales in a tent by headlight on an Alaskan hunting trip. smile

I made the mistake of taking "Give Your Heart To The Hawks" with me on a hunting trip on the Alaska Penninsula years ago. You will hear all kinds of noises. Great read.
In our family our two daughters and I are avid readers. My wife reads very little (at least in comparison).

A few Christmases ago our younger daughter started an annual newsletter to each of us based on an imaginary book club she made up. I had no idea how much of a sense of humour she has. Now we all look forward to her newsletter.

In fact, last Christmas her older sister prepared a response without knowing what her sisters letter would contain. Again, very humorous.

During our discussion I said I would keep a record this year of how many books I read. Most of my reading consists of detective novels. As of todays date I have read 112 books since last Christmas. This amounts to 43,233 pages of reading.

The foregoing does not include any newspaper, magazines or the material I read on the Campfire. It's obvious I'm retired and not spending nearly enough time outdoors anymore.

In an effort to force myself outside more often for the first time I got one of my rifles, a 40X Remington, rebarreled in a cartridge new to me. This has helped since I have done a lot more shooting during the last 2 months.

I amazed even myself when I found out how much reading I was actually doing.
During my working life I was required to do a lot of reading and I learned to read quickly but still retain the gist of the content.

More useless trivia for you guys to read.

Jim
Originally Posted by tbear99

+1 i haven't been reading half as much lately as i would like but it isn't a man thing at all people read and enjoy i don't know a single person who is ashamed or anyone that looks down at anybody for reading.Not even the good for nothing teenagers laugh

Here I am giving up guy points again. I don't know why I do that, but I don't seem to be able to stop myself. My brother-in-law fell head over heels for the Sackett books back in the eighties and convinced me to read one. I was totally unimpressed, especially with the ending. "One day twenty years later, he went down to the creek and the Indians killed him" or something like that. Looked to me like Louis had reached the required number of words and just quit at that point. A couple of things to remember here is that I am not a fan of fiction and that I have nothing against anyone else's choice of reading material, just throwing my opinion out there. Best to all, John
I'll check these out.
"With The Old Breed-at Peleliu and Okinawa" -E. B. Sledge 2007 printing in paperback. If you want to know what WWII in the Pacific was like. Chris
I read everynight. When we were kids the highlight of our week was when we would go to town and go to the "Old Corner Bookshop" in Fort Collins and I could pick out a used Louis Lamour. Nowadays, theres two things I get, books and guns and a lot of times books on guns. Twice a week we shut off the T.V's for the night and the whole family reads.

I have a lot of favorites, too many to list.

Ryan
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by tbear99

Here I am giving up guy points again. I don't know why I do that, but I don't seem to be able to stop myself. My brother-in-law fell head over heels for the Sackett books back in the eighties and convinced me to read one. I was totally unimpressed, especially with the ending. "One day twenty years later, he went down to the creek and the Indians killed him" or something like that. Looked to me like Louis had reached the required number of words and just quit at that point. A couple of things to remember here is that I am not a fan of fiction and that I have nothing against anyone else's choice of reading material, just throwing my opinion out there. Best to all, John

It's fine not liking louis lamour his writings are not for everyone but as a fan of his i will say thank you for giving him a chance
another older fiction book i read and liked was flight of the old dog.Basically if i remember right took an old b-17 and made it stealth to go into russia
© 24hourcampfire