Home
Mine was, Peter Framton/Fog Hat/J Geils band 1977 Kingdome. At the time that was a monster line up. What was your first biggie?
My first concert was Hendrix, Soft Machine and The Heir Apparent.

I was too young to realize it at the time but with the exception of the Doors, it was mostly downhill after that.

Well... Black Sabbath at The Whiskey was pretty amazing too!

TC
Mine was "The Who" at Saratoga Performing Arts Center, 1971. I think I remember most of it. laugh
Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour.
It was amazing we had VIP box seats on the floor.
Never been to one and still don't plan on it. I HATE crowds to a phobic level.
1976 at the Spectrum in Philadelphia.

Steve Miller Band and Norton Buffalo Band
Zeppelin. Feb 1972.
Alice Cooper, Anchorage 86
Garth Brooks, around 1994 I think. Saw him here in Birmingham and his show blew me away. Now I'm not the biggest Garth fan, but in his prime few put on a show with the energy he did.
Peter and Gordon was the first group I saw at the Ft. Lauderdale War Memorial Auditorium, that would have been 1964 or 65.

Can�t remember the next one, probably Led Zepplin in 1969. I thought they were kind of boring. After 1970, due to certain environmental conditions, concerts got a lot better while simultaneously my memories of them became a lot more hazy.

The Allman Brothers played at one of our high school dances, that was before they hit the big time.
Elvis feb 77.....I can still hear the boom' boom' boom' of the drums/horns...."Space Odyssey Theme Song "...then here he comes!!!!! THE KING!!!! oh yea baby!!!! Hell, I got goose bumps now ,just thinking about it........
Glen Campbell.......late '68 in Memphis.
I was attending "A" school at NAS Millington.
I came back from Vietnam (Sept '66)and a few days before I was discharged from the Navy we went to this place I think was the Golden Dragon in San Fran. They wanted a $8 cover charge to get in. We paid it and sat down by the stage. One of the fellas said, "hey are they having a Revival Meeting here?" Well long story short it was the
Creedance Clear Water Revival played for the next 3 or 4 hours. Great show and not to bad a price.
I can't remember,but it was fun...
Chicago at Pershing Auditorium in Lincoln, NE - I think it was fall of '71 or spring of '72 . . . dates are a bit hazy from back then. Great show - Terry Kath could have played guitar in anybody's band.
Dick Clark's show back in 62 or 63? Talked my dad into taking me and a buddy. The Ventures (anyone remember them?) were the featured band. I wanted a Mosrite guitar so bad so I could taste it. I remember the vibrations coming through the seats and I couldn't believe the thrill.
Looking back it was kinda primitive. The bands (there were several) came out, did maybe four or five numbers and then the next band came out. Everyone one of the players wore a suit and tie, I remember that much.
I remember Chicago playing here in '70. They had to give away tickets. I have seen them four or five times since. Still have that great sound and the trombonist is a hoot to watch.
jimi hendrix in the early 70's. he did all his tricks, but did not light the guitar on fire. i was on the 2rd row, center. he stood so close to me i could have hit him with a 12 foot crappie rod. he also looked kind of "rough", but the fellow could wail on that guitar.
Traffic at the Academy of Music in NYC in 1972. Late Show

WildmybuddypukedfromtoomuchbeerandacidAlaska ��2002-2011
I guess that would be Alice Cooper/Rick Derringer 1977.

(Do The Monkey's count?)
Originally Posted by 1096here
Dick Clark's show back in 62 or 63? Talked my dad into taking me and a buddy. The Ventures (anyone remember them?) were the featured band. I wanted a Mosrite guitar so bad so I could taste it. I remember the vibrations coming through the seats and I couldn't believe the thrill.
Looking back it was kinda primitive. The bands (there were several) came out, did maybe four or five numbers and then the next band came out. Everyone one of the players wore a suit and tie, I remember that much.
I remember Chicago playing here in '70. They had to give away tickets. I have seen them four or five times since. Still have that great sound and the trombonist is a hoot to watch.

Sure, I remember the Ventures, a clean, driving sound. One of my fav's when in high school.

You and I are neighbors by the way.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Peter and Gordon was the first group I saw at the Ft. Lauderdale War Memorial Auditorium, that would have been 1964 or 65.

Can�t remember the next one, probably Led Zepplin in 1969. I thought they were kind of boring. After 1970, due to certain environmental conditions, concerts got a lot better while simultaneously my memories of them became a lot more hazy.

The Allman Brothers played at one of our high school dances, that was before they hit the big time.

Loved Peter and Gordon, Chad an Jeremy, etc.

Circa 1964, same as you, Gene Pitney in one of the Summer Happenings in Sioux Falls, SD. He baled about half way due to laryngitis. Also saw the Beach Boys that same summer IIRC ( cry grin ). Loved those years.
KISS, I think it was 1978 at the New Haven Coliseum in New Haven, CT. I went with 2 other guys. We were way up in the rafters, enveloped in a cloud of weed smoke the whole night; they guy behind us puked all over one of my buddies about 2/3 the way through. I never had such a sore throat in my life for about 3 days after and it wasn't from screaming or yelling.

As for the Ventures, I picked up their CD "Live in Japan", recorded in I think 1965, glad I did. I can remember listening to the album as a kid. Its recorded very well and is worth a listen to.
Probably the Beatles concert in Jax at the Gator Bowl Stadium. 1966 maybe?

RATT/Bon Jovi, mid 80's Fayetteville, Ar. and no I wasn't a fan, but that sweet girl was whistle

Gunner
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Probably the Beatles concert in Jax at the Gator Bowl Stadium. 1966 maybe?

Hippie!! wink
Originally Posted by hotsoup
jimi hendrix in the early 70's. he did all his tricks, but did not light the guitar on fire. i was on the 2rd row, center. he stood so close to me i could have hit him with a 12 foot crappie rod. he also looked kind of "rough", but the fellow could wail on that guitar.

I went to the same Highschool as Jimi , albeit 15 years later.
First and only was Elton John - 1972 - Anaheim CA
Doobie Brothers....1976.
First major concert was in about 1969 - Louis Armstrong...I got his autograph after the show - still have it, too.

First rock concert was Elvin Bishop and Hot Tuna at the Santa Clara County Fairground Pavilion in 1972.
Late 80's Def Leppard with Dokken opening.
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Pink Floyd on the Division Bell tour.
It was amazing we had VIP box seats on the floor.

Nice, seeing Pink Floyd in concert is on my bucket list.
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Doobie Brothers....1976.

That, was probably a good one.

Just talked to a colleague of mine who was in Chicago for a meeting. Was in a bar 'n grill when a group of guys with green jackets walk in-- obviously an ensemble of some sort-- and sit down at the next table. Ended up sitting with them, buying a couple of drinks, and chewing the fat with the Temptations.
CHICAGO...Boise, Idaho...early 70's.
Mid 80s. Alabama.
In about '84, Black 'n' Blue opened for Night Ranger at the Schnitzer in Portland, OR. Night Ranger had a new sound system that was just way too [bleep]in' powerful for the size of the venue and the air seemed to be literally tearing from the sound. My ears rang for at least 4 days. Figured out why my friends had long hair .. they could hide ear plugs under it. smile

I missed an even better first concert. In ... '77, I think, the Oregon State Fair had Loverboy, Blue Oyster Cult, Molly Hatchet, and a couple other acts I really liked. I was 13. My cuz and one of her really cute friends had tickets for me but my folks wouldn't give me a ride to the bus station so I could make the trip. They didn't like her friend much. I dunno what their problem was, she looked damn good to me. Parents, huh? Can't live with 'em, not supposed to drown 'em.

Tom
Nazareth in '79 at the Duluth Arena. Fun times!
beach boys
Haven't been to one yet. Waiting on a good one.
rolling stones in 98
Originally Posted by T LEE
Never been to one and still don't plan on it. I HATE crowds to a phobic level.

Boy! You are sounding like me more and more.
1981 at the Hollywood bowl-- Rockpile!
Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra at Robin Hood Dell in Fairmount Park, Philadelphia, Summer 1952. Large and small ones with almost every type of music, ever since.
Neil Diamond at Oregon State in the winter of 1970
Ravi Shankar and the Mahavisneau Orchestra with Golden Earing as the opening act. Erie, Pa 1973
Van Halen, at the Memorial Coliseum, Diver down tour.
I would have like to seen Carley Simon, anyone see her live?
AC/DC opening for Aerosmith in Houston in the late 70's.
Don't remember which �
� Ferrante and Teicher
� Jose Greco
� William Warfield
� Jan Peerce
or
?
Had to have been in the mid 60's. I musta been there, I can recall several, but a bunch of that time frame is kinda like a jigsaw puzzle with a few pieces missing.
jimmy buffet
First rock concert was the Michael Stanley Band at the old Cleveland Municipal Stadium. Amazing that a regional act could sell out such a huge venue.

First country concert was Alabama. The boys sure put on a great show.

I also saw Huey Lewis and the News right before they went big time with the release of Sports. They played a college bar called the Arcade in Youngstown, Ohio. Stood elbow to elbow with Huey at the bar between sets as he worked on a drink.
Bachman-Turner Overdrive in the mid-70s.

After that ...

Doobie Brothers
Santana (3x)
The Police
The Specials
The Clash
Bob Marley
UB40
The Rolling Stones (1978 Some Girls tour)
David Bowie
Bruce Cockburn
Jimmy Cliff
April Wine
Foreigner
Robert Palmer (2x)
Ronnie Hawkins
English Beat
Talking Heads
Third World (2x)
Al Di Meola
Lee Ritenour
Doobie Brothers-what a great band. Saw them first when the only hit they had out was "Listen to the Music." We sat up in the balcony and the smell of pot was unreal. I left with a case of the munchies. Saw them a few times after that. Always a great band even when Michael McDonald started hogging the show.
Thanks for the thread. Brough back lots of good memories. I would love to go to more concerts but the price is ridiculous.
By the way, my wife used to work for Gateway computers. Ted Waitt, the founder of Gateway loved rock. He hired great bands to play at the company Xmas parties. I loved hearing Chuck Berry and the Allman Brothes. Rockin times at that place.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Don't remember which —
• Ferrante and Teicher
• Jose Greco
• William Warfield
• Jan Peerce
or
?

Translation pleeeze. :>)
George De Vries-PM me and we'll chat now that we know we're neighbors. I'd do it but I don't know how.
led zepellin, 1969, summer, nashville.
Originally Posted by Mink
Nice, seeing Pink Floyd in concert is on my bucket list.

I'd love to see them play Crazy Diamond live.

If anyone likes reggae, there's a band called Easy Star All Stars who do a reggae version of Dark Side of the Moon called Dub Side of the Moon. Good album.

The Who, 1980 in Atlanta. Tickets were pricey, $11.
Willie Nelson; too long ago to remember!

Stones, Heart and George Thorogood in Boulder, CO - mid '80's
Never liked the Stones much and they were the worst of the three acts. Can't like watching Mick prance around on the stange like a fairy. George Thorogood and the Destroyers stole the show.

ZZ-Top is by far the best band I've seen live. Both the El Loco and Deguello tours.

Also saw Deep Purple and Genesis at the AromaDome (Tacoma Dome)
IIRC, it was Bob Seger and the Cars. Memorial Auditorium, Buffalo NY.

Sometime around 1978 or 1979.
Fourth of July weekend,1969 Atlanta International Raceway Atlanta Pop Fest.All the big names were there,Joplin,Johnny Winters,CCR,Zepplin.It was a smaller version of Woodstock.
ZZ Top, World Wide Texas Tour around '76 or so.
Saw Zeppelin in Madison Square in '77
Define "Big".
For bands larger than bar scene:

Live in 97, they had Fun Loving Criminals open for them.

Brooks and Dunn later that year. Joe Diffy opened.

Garth Brooks the next year. Sold out 3 shows in 40 minutes. A friend paid a street guy in Whoppers to stand in line with him. Curt bought his 6 tickets, street guy bought his 6 and then we scalped the 2nd six. Everyone got to see him for free and pocketed 20 bucks.

Last larger act I saw was Flogging Molly both Frank Turner and The Architects opened for them. Best show out of all of them.
Originally Posted by Woodsmaster
The Who, 1980 in Atlanta. Tickets were pricey, $11.

And minimum wage was $2.35. Kiss in '78 or '79 in Fort Wayne, Indiana was the first concert I went to.
Pershing Auditorium, Lincoln NE, summer of '66 - Paul Revere and the Raiders. I'm still a fan.
Summer of '69 at the same place - The Byrds.
original van halen in 78,,$6.00
Allman Brothers, summer of 1974,..18 years old.

Left home never to return a couple months later. 'Hit's a damn wonder it didn't kill me. Damned near killed my parents. Was here, there, and everywhere until I finally high centered in the Bluegrass. Even after that I'd occasionally find sand in my shoes and have to go again. Three months on the road sleepin' in a tent finally got it out of my system in 1980.

Dickie Betts triggered a dormant inclination in me and kept it active for quite some time.

Johnny Cash. Boston Garden. April 1971.

[Linked Image]

Steve
George Thorogood and Johnny Winter, Charlotte 1985

best show was Monsters of Rock in Mannheim: Whitesnake, Aerosmith, Poison, Dio, and Vixen. The Scorpions and Tesla were pretty good at the Frankfurt Opera House.
someone mentioned the group nazareth. while in germany back in the early 80's, i stopped at a hotel for the evening. i went to the "bar" and while looking for an open seat saw an empty seat at a table with 4 men already seated. they invited me to sit with them (i had a military haircut and their hair was shoulder length). turns out they were the band, in k-town to perform a gig. we talked for over an hour. you couldn't ask for a better group at the time. i imagine they are retired now.
Eric Clapton and Robert Cray back in 1984 I think.
Where at OP?
Johnny Cash 1970 or 1971.
Beach Boys & Rolling Stones on the same night, 1965
Originally Posted by okok
Mine was, Peter Framton/Fog Hat/J Geils band 1977 Kingdome. At the time that was a monster line up. What was your first biggie?

Well, Kiss in '76-77 or so, with someone's dad though.

First one with friends was Cheap Trick, Budakon tour. Albuquerque. Went up with my best friend and his older brother in a Beetle. Got really, really baked in that little car. crazy
AC/DC, Back in Black tour, 1980, at the Budokan in Tokyo. With my brother and a little Japanese bombshell who was my GF at the time. The little hussy dumped me about 2 weeks later. I'm still bitter about it. But now, almost 30 years later, that she's my wife provides some measure of satisfaction in the payback department. He who laughs last and all...

wink

Jealous of some of the folks here who've seen some of my musical heroes.
Originally Posted by ltppowell
I guess that would be Alice Cooper/Rick Derringer 1977.

(Do The Monkey's count?)

You SOB. The Monkeys? Hell, now I gotta get up and get a wet rag to wipe this stuff up. And I was pretty comfy too. Not cool, P.

mad grin
Pink Floyd, 1975 in Pittsburgh...
Frank Zappa early 1970s at the Capital Center - Largo MD. I saw a lot of concerts there.

Two interesting memories from my concert going experiences:

First was from a ZZtop concert around 1975. Kiss was the opening band. During intermission they played the song Okie From Muskogee. I had never heard the song before but considering what I was smoking at the time it got my attention. At the time I hated the song and now it one of my favorites.

Second was around 1981-82. A couple of friends got me to go to see a band I never heard of called U2 at one of the smaller venues in Washington DC. Now my attitude had changed a bit from the 1970s and it wasn't the concert that was interesting, it was what happened when we were in line waiting to get in. Well some commie was passing out communist literature and we had a discussion. I don't recall everything that was said but I remember closing the conversation by informing him that if there ever was a revolution you could count on me to be ready to shoot him and his commie buddys dead. I do not think the guy expected to run in to someone like me in line at a U2 concert.
Not much of a concert guy but I saw willie Nelson and cris ledoux at a small bar in my home town and the only super big name was Bon jovi at American Airlines Center. I don't like Bon jovi but the sweet thing I was with did, and the scenery at the show was good too.
Originally Posted by achildofthesky

You suck. Animals?
Savoy Brown, early 70's at the aragon ballroom in Chicago.
First - The Who, early '70s @ Cow Palace in San Francisco.

Most Recent - George Strait, Reba McEntire & Lee Ann Womack, 2010.
Stones, Hollywood Bowl,66
Three Dog Night, Rod Stewart...Cotton Bowl/summer/mid seventies. Discovered I was a small venue guy pretty fast.
Scorpions/Quiet Riot, 1983.....Pueblo Colorado
First was Alice Cooper...biggest was Cal Jam...
Canned Heat, Albert Collins and Sweetwater at the Shrine Auditorium 1969. Fun times.
I don't know if it would be considered "big" or not, but I saw Dickey Betts play at a little bingo hall here about 5 or 6 years ago. Not too many good acts come through our area, and when I found out Dickey was going to be here, I just had to go. He's been one of the main influences on my guitar playing since I was 14 years old. I'm glad I was able to watch him up close and personal. His son Duane is an amazing guitarist in his own right as well.

Brian.
Fats Domino and Bill Haley and the Comets about 1956 or 57 at the Coquille Community Building. Someon "popped" my Moon Beam Hub caps! mad Never forget it.........Dick
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
...biggest was Cal Jam...
I was there, at both US Festivals too, some good fun memories. Spent one day back stage at the second one. Climbed under the stage and sat on the scaffolding between the crowd and the stage till my butt couldn't take it any longer. Great seats just not very comfortable.
Took to the wife to see that short singing cowboy... Garth Brooks, Somewhere areound Salem NC, 1992 I think.

That was before he lost his damn mind and went all cowboy/warhol.

Dave tell the truth, yer 1st Concert was the Village People. We all know ingwe is a Leif Garret fan. grin
Is that where he caught the gay????? laugh laugh
Aerosmith. AC/DC opened for them.

BMT
I remember going to a concert as a little kid in 73. My parents took us with them to see Roy Orbison and Charlie Rich. The first one I went to on my own was Heart with the one hit wonder Autograph.
I'm kind of corrupted on this topic because of working with a guy who acted as a consultant for a lot of the Kiel Auditorium and Opera House shows and the Busch Stadium Super Jam deals. We were there some but never really watched a show as a part of the audience.
First soon to be big name was this guy named Ted with a band called the Amboy Dukes that played a small venue in St. Charles.

First paid-for tickets for a big named band was Kansas - maybe in 1977? One of the best performances I've ever seen, certainly one of the best sounding. The beautiful young gal who accompanied me was the icing on the cake.

Possibly 2nd best sounding would have been Star Castle.

Any of you southerners hit the Electric Cowboy festival? Three days of some of the hottest weather know to man. Good bands. Blackfoot stole the show. Or Steve Marriot.

Best value for my buck - every one of the Charlie Daniels Volunteer Jams that I had the good fortune to attend. Ruined that when they moved it to the Star Wood.

My Dickey Betts story - attending a pre-jam party at the Bull Pen Lounge in Nashville. Grinderswitch was on the stage and I was standing at the bar trying to get a beer. Some guy standing next to me made a comment about the guitar playing taking place and I responded with what I knew about the topic. The guy said something to the effect that I sounded like a guitar player and I allowed that I dinked around with it a bit. He kind of chuckled and said something like "yeah, that's at about the same level I am."
We talked a bit more till my beer arrived.

I walked on off and joined up with the couple of buddies I was with and we sort of invited ourselves to join a like number of unescorted ladies that were partially occupying a large table that sat center stage, no more than 3 feet out.

There was a personnel change on stage a bit later and one of the new guys was wearing the same shirt as the guy who was bending my ear at the bar - and had a Les Paul strapped on. In the bright lights of the stage I realized that the guy I had been talking to at the bar was Dickey Betts. At a break he walked over to our table and sat down and talked with all of us for quite a while. Me and my buddies knew who he was but the gals were clueless. When he went to return to the stage he turned to me and thanked us for making him feel welcome.

Pretty down to earth, I thought.
Originally Posted by okok
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Don't remember which —
• Ferrante and Teicher
• Jose Greco
• William Warfield
• Jan Peerce
or
?

Translation pleeeze. :>)

Apparently he has not seen your request, so I will reply for Ken.

Ferrante (Italian) and Teicher (German) - duo pianists who mostly played light classical and show tunes, often with orchestra - excellent pianists and very good taste

Jose Greco (Spanish) - world class flamenco dancer

William Warfield (Negro) - excellent basso profundo; sang operatic and concert roles, deep/strong voice and first Negro to hold such sawy

Jan Peerce (Jewish) - excellent operatic tenor who also sang concerts and did some light classics/show tunes

Ken saw/heard some good stuff in those days
dang hard to remember, I'd guess the first was in '72 or so in Spfd. MO, the Guess Who (no don't guess, that was their damned name) they had a hit Magic Bus IIRC

but made up for my slow start, have seen a bunch of good ones particularly when I worked for WEA (Warner, Electra, Atlantic) and lived in Chicago

here goes, not in order just as I recall

Frampton,

Black Oak Arkansas

Molly Hatchet,

Zeppelin, twice

Pink Floyd, at Soldier Field

Ted Nugent at the Amphitheater

Tom Waits

Genesis, when they had Peter Gabriel and Phil Collins

Roxy Music

Cheap Trick

oh god this is too hard, there's more, but yeah I got to go to some good gigs.

even setup rooms for some of the bands, in fact someone mentioned Elvin Bishop and those guys were outa control with their demands, wanted girls and uncut cocaine, told em if I knew how to score those anytime i wanted i sure wouldn't be babysittin rock stars

oh chit almost forgot Lou Reed, but Ian Drury and the Blockheads opened for ole Lou and stole the freaking show, they were incredible

oh the Tubes

f this, too long ago and too many of them
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
dang hard to remember, I'd guess the first was in '72 or so in Spfd. MO, the Guess Who (no don't guess, that was their damned name) they had a hit Magic Bus IIRC

Umm, Magic Bus is a 'The Who' tune. 'The Guess Who' was a different band altogether. But either way, apparently you had a good time. smile
you sure Leighton, I don't remember the Who (a classic band that I'm a big fan of and never got to see live) doing magic bus

now I gotta go google ya bastage! my money says you're settin there havin a libation thinking "I'll keep that Alaskan redneck busy for a few minutes"

be right back, oh and take this you ornery Bostonian, Animals was the Pink Floyd show i saw as Soldier Field, giant pig floating through the air, I thought at the time they should have water come out where his whizzer woulda been to cool the crowd down!

but going back and reading the thread, I did miss some good ones and yes George Thorogood and the Delaware Destroyers put on a hell of a show

saw
geez Leighton you're right as rain, maybe they did a cover of Magic Bus that night, who knows or maybe I got confused with no sugar tonight or No time

I'm pretty sure that night was perhaps my first experience with herbs

oh and Leighton at Pink Floyd I was sittin on the light and sound stage framework right in the middle of Soldier Field, you probably wouldn't have enjoyed it, don't give it another thought (grin)
"WHO"
Jerry Lee Lewis - Portales NM - 1972 (big disappointment)
Loretta Lynn - Fort Leonardwood MO - 1973 (exceptional)
Charlie Pride - Albuquerque NM - 1974 (great show)
Loretta Lynn - Albuquerque NM - 1975 (good show)
Chrystal Gayle (sp?) - Albuquerque NM - 1975 (absolutely LOVED that show - as she was singing at the Palomino Club, and Loretta - her sister - was entertaining at the state fair! Ms Gayle's show was every bit as good, and a lot more intimate - fewer people, closer to the performer, etc. AND she is beautiful!)
Mark
Three Dog Night at the old Anchorage Sports Arena back in the early seventies.
first concert was the Eagles, in 79,
the second was Kansas,with Loverboy as opener,1981.
George Thorogood,1989
Last concert I went to,was Pink Floyd,the division bell.
Not the first, but BIG; Hendrix.
Went to see James Taylor when I was in college in the mid-1970's. That was the only concert I had ever been to until my wife started hauling me and the kids to Walnut Creek in Raleigh in the 1990's; we saw Reba, Allen Jackson, Garth Brooks, Tanya Tucker - cannot remember them all, but we must have gone to five or six concerts over a four to five year period.
Saw Donnie Osmund and his brothers back in early 70's...mom bought tickets for thr family I was 6 yrs old and rebelled against going but at 6 yrs old my weight didn't pull much...good part was the Grass Roots opened for them
1st real concert I saw on my own was REO Speedwagon in 80
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Originally Posted by achildofthesky

You suck. Animals?

Don't think I suck, more of an azzhole I reckon (;->)

It was 20.Jun.1975, about a month before my dad passed away.

They played DSOTM (giant video screen behind band and at the appropriate moment a VERY, very large model plane on a cable from above the upper deck, behind home plate in 3 rivers stadium to the stage in deep center field, crashed behind the band and exploded in sparks and fireworks) and they also had the first playing of songs from Wish You Were Here album that came out in Sept '75, along with some Meddle and quite a bit more....

And, yes it was awesome!

Play list as per wiki:
Part one
"Raving and Drooling" (early version of "Sheep")
"You Gotta Be Crazy" (early version of "Dogs")
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts I-V)"
"Have a Cigar"
"Shine On You Crazy Diamond (Parts VI-IX)"
Part two
The Dark Side of the Moon (entire album)
Encore
"Echoes"

I had skipped going to a ton of all the really big bands of the day as I wanted "Floyd" for my first experience.
My first was Grand Funk Railroad in the spring of 1972 in Emporia, KS. Never thought much of their albums but they were a great live band.
Kingsmen (Louie, Louie). 1965 at a college venue. CSN, several times, Arlo Guthrie about 1970, college venue.

Long before that, lots of Motown and other groups at Hershey Park summer concerts in the early 60s, sponsored by a local radio station. Four Tops, Shirelles, Martha and The Vandellas, etc.
Growing up in northern BC did not give me a lot of concert going opportunities; but, my first concert was in Prince George, BC. It would have been 1985 or �86 and I saw a Cdn. hairband named Helix. My cousin talked me into smoking BC bud for the first time as well - show was OK. Next one was Honeymoon Suite in 1988, which my then girlfriend talked me into going to.

Going to university in Toronto, then living in Vancouver let me see a lot of concerts, some of which are:

Rolling Stones � Steel Wheels in �89.
54/40
Prince � scenery was simply amazing, seemed like 80 % women at the show. He put on a great show as well.
Ministry
Allanis Morisette (free tickets).
The Tragically Hip
Pearl Jam with Foo Fighters opener.
Beastie Boys
AC/DC
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Metallica
Pixies

Would like to see Rush in concert some day. I play around with drums a bit and Neil Peart is a rock percussion god.

Cheers,

Rob
I went to the North Dakota Jam in June of '78. I was 13.

Nazareth headlined.

ARS

Head East

Blue Oyster Cult

Bob Welch

Couple of others I can't recall anymore because I'm old...

I was blown away, especially by Nazareth. Hard rock and that dude could really sing. They were peaking right at that time.
"NOW YO' MESSIN' WITH A...A SUNAVABITCH"! lol

Good times.

I* think my second was the Tennessee Jam,..in the football stadium at the University of Tennesse at Martin.

,..Had Wet Willie, Elvin Bishop and Charlie Daniels there,.some others who escape me now due to the magic of mass quantities of THC.

4 of us headed down there in a friends 1968 Malibu SS. Nobody had any papers so we stopped in this little mom & pop store in Lovelaceville, Kentucky to buy some.

All they had was "Bugle" brand. I was the only one who could roll with them due to the fact that they had no gum adhesive,...but we managed.

I remember trying to rent a hotel room in Martin, Tennessee,...walk in,..barefoot,..hair all draped down around my shoulders,...eyes half open and bloodshot.

Wouldn't be 3 fuggin' cars in the parking lot,..and the guy behind the desk would take one look at me and say,.."We full".
Motley Crue / Guns N Roses 1987 Clearwater beach Fla
Elvin Bishop was singin' this stuff back then.

If you plugged his 8 track in when you were parkin' with ya girl you'd get some.

So naturally we were all big fans.

[video:youtube] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBNUrYyGI7A[/video]
When I lived in San Antonio,the Grand Ole Opre would have a show once every 3 months,I got to see all of the old GREATS,CHARLIE PRIDE, MERLE HAGGARD,WAYLON JENNINGS,Ray Price,Statler Brothers,Johnny Cash,Ernest Tubbs and to many more to list.
I saw the Animals,The Turtles,Johnny and Edgar Winter,Rick Derringer,Chicago,Neil Sadaka,Crosby,Stills,Nash and Young and more I just can't think of there names.
© 24hourcampfire