Home
Well, the in ground fence system that I bought and installed to keep Gracie, our Coyote / Red Border collie mix rescue pet is no longer effective. Gracie figured out that the shock is not so bad and only for a short bit so has been escaping and "hunting" Problem being that Gracie cannot distiguish between acceptable prey and peoples pets.... she carries several pllets and BB's in herhindquarters and I do not blame the bb gun shooters in the least. They were kind and gracious to not kill her - yet.

So..... off to the feed store goes me, seeking, finding and installing an electric cattle fence. THIS one works! Gracie has touched it twice and I don't beleive she will give it another try in our lifetime.

Problem now is, the lady I marred came with CATS, and she LUUUVVVVES those CATS. I tolerate them, sorta like 'em but these things are here babies. She has never had her own child so is VERY atatched to the feline four. I protect them and care for them because I lover her and want her to be happy.

Should be now keep the cats indside? Will that fence wire seriously injure or kill Sherri's 'babies'? When I was a kid I know my dqds cattle fence killed lots of birds. Ours is a small unit for up to 10 acres, we have 1/2 acre. Runs on a 110 outlet.

Need to know, thanks a bunch.

MARK
I guess I would experiment.

Only one way to find out...

Travis
no it will just light them up like4 it did the dog one pass should do it
Will that fence wire seriously injure or kill Sherri's 'babies'?
Only the 1st time. After they it won't bother them.
Nope it won't kill a cat. Depending on how much grounding you have it might knock the hell out of it but won't kill it. Cats paws (point of contact with the ground) are so much smaller than a dogs there isn't that much surface to carry the charge. Cats paws are also somewhat insulated by fur.

BCR
Seriously, though, they do make electric fences to contain cats. However, I have no idea what kind of voltage they put out.
i know that when your gun barrel comes in contact with one from the recoil, it'll leave you sore for a few days.
I know this is wrong,.....

anyhoo,....FILM this event, Por Favor.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
I know this is wrong,.....

anyhoo,....FILM this event, Por Favor.

GTC

laugh

I'll second that... whistle
I know when ya pee on them, ya pray for the pulse type to move on thru!
Just be sure to wet the ground real good before they get into it.
It will make for a lively show,but it won't kill them.
That ain't right, funny, but not right. grin
I've been crossways with those damn things more than I care to admit.

Coonasses used to WAIT for "damp" ( called deluges elsewhere) weather, and hook those damn thing up to the urinals on that wild row of roadhouses in Port Allen, La..

I think I encountered that in Morgan City, too.

The "Victim" was typically asked to buy a round,....and I don't remember any shortage of young dollies offering to "Kiss it Better"

Jeez,....how did one LIVE through that,....much less prosper ?

GTC

Don't know about a cat, but about 15 years ago, we nearly
lost our first "kid" a little dog of about 5 pounds to an
electric fence. Had a pretty potent "weed burner" model ran
up side of the driveway for the cows. Our big dogs kept
digging under one side of the pen, so I ran a wire over and
down the side... Poor lil' feller out visiting through the wire with the big dogs got into it and got
"stuck" to it. My wife happened to hear him yelping and
pulled him off of it, got the sh*t knocked out of her doing
it. She came into the house carrying him, stiff as a board
and smelling like burnt hair - after about five minutes he
came around, but then went into shock and ended up at the
vets for two weeks.
Do some research and report back.
Glad the little guy made it, makes me think a cat would likely survive the hit from our less potent model. I also do not have a very deep ground rod, only about 30 inches down instead of the 5 feet it recomended. Thought that with only 250 feet of wire out it would suffice.

no it won't kill a cat, but I can fix you up with one that will if needed. Just sayin.....Russ
Originally Posted by northern_dave

He wants to know about the cats, not the lady friend. whistle

Mark:

I expect that if one of your wife's cats gets fried on the fence, she'll toss you on it. grin
Mark, might want to wait until after Aug 6th to try this out. Be a shame to show up with two black eyes grin
We use electric fences designed for horses around everything around here. Keeps my chickens out of the garden, dogs too. Will send a dog running if he bumps a wet nose, but sure won't kill him. Never seen a chicken get shocked either, but they must have been because they won't go near the garden when the fence is up, and they could easily step or fly over it.
Top of the line in-ground containment systems have "run-through" preventers. They work! Or perhaps your dog has a higher stubborn/pain tolerance level than mine does.

My Lab found out about the run-thru thing when I up-graded from a Gen 1 to the latest and best Gen 3 Innoko as of 7 years ago. He tried to run thru the fence as he'd been doing to the early model and it nailed him good as I had it cranked up to the highest level. It probably helped that he then turned and raced right up the wire while it nailed him hard several more times, and he dodged back into the yard just as the safety cut-off kicked in. That dog was TRAINED! smile

Of course, if it isn't on in the house, or the collar battery isn't charged, he's off "visiting" all over the neighborhood. It is funny to watch him creep up to the exact distance from the boundry that he knows the collar should beep at him, then either back up, or "Zip" - he's off!

He's also learned to scrunch his neck up to check if he is wearing a battery pack collar if I have the remote control for the training collar in hand... He hasn't learned (yet) to distinguish between the yard collar and the training collar....

No, it won't kill a cat. They probably won't even touch it, depending upon how close to the ground it is.

The only electric fence I've ever seen kill an animal was an old farmer around here who decided he didn't want to spend the money for an electric fence controller and somehow afro-engineered the fence directly into the 110V house supply. The next day he had one of his cows dead.

No electric fence controller out there pushes enough current to kill an animal the size of a housecat, some will make them think they're dying though.
I doubt it, but it will add much speed to it's movement. I have seen one of the daughters cats do the same exact thing as the vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8DqqPto9lw
Jeez......you have a cross bred coyote.......she has 4 cats........either one of you sign a pre-nup?

Nothing like living on the edge.......................................................................of divorce.
An electric fence won't kill a cat.

No matter how hard you try...
Aw for cryin' out loud,....yer' PARENTS had one on yer' CRIB.

GTC
And, your point is?

wink
No. They run like 9000 volts, but essentially no amps. One gets a jolt, but there's not enough amps to cook anything in ones system.

Might actually be some brief entertainment.
in a just world, it would kill a cat. laugh
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Just be sure to wet the ground real good before they get into it.
It will make for a lively show,but it won't kill them.

And shave their tails.
What ever you do, don't make the fence out of Christmas tree lights!

(No cats were actually harmed in the making or posting of this video)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AtjWzakYIA&feature=relmfu
No, but You couldn't throw'em anywhere near it once they've been bit grin

Gunner
Growing up on the farm we had a hot fencer. Had a crazy cow one time that got across it, shocked her and knocked her to the ground. When she landed, it grounded out and she was pok until she stood up and the wire went with her, knocked her down again. Dad had to drop the wire from the insulator to keep the wire from chasing her.

Same fencer was used around the sweetcorn patch tpo keep coons out. Those that say it wpont kill an animal are wrong. The lowest wire got knocked off insulators, we found it with several thousand dead grasshoppers and a big black snake dead.

Another time found a coon hung up with a paw on the barbed wire, he was definitely dead.

Lastly was a red tailed hawk, my guess is it landed on post with one foot and wire with the other, somehow hanging it up. I found it hanging from the wire.

Just touching will be ok, but hung up is dead fluffy. Had a bird dog that wouldn't go near the garden for his final 4 years of life after bumping into the wire
Originally Posted by exbiologist
Never seen a chicken get shocked either, but they must have been ...

electric fence that keeps hogs in and bears out won't kill a chicken. wink

Or a cat.
I used to have a fencer for horses but when we got some goats, it wouldn't do the job. They just ignored the shock. I have one now that puts out between 11 & 12K volts. THAT gets their attention.
Keep the cats inside. I like cats and indoor cats live longer and have much fewer health problems than outdoor cats.
They spend most of thier time inside, happily. But they love to go out and play big bad huntercat for a few hours each day.

you sir, are surmising that having them live a long time is, to me, a GOOD thing. Of this I am not entirely sure.....
Originally Posted by husqvarna
Keep the cats inside. I like cats and indoor cats live longer and have much fewer health problems than outdoor cats.
I saw one report that said an outside cat has an average life of 2 years. An inside one averages 10 years. For a clawed indoor cat that scratches the furniture, it's more like 10 minutes.
Our cat that was given to us when we were Married started out as a barn cat, she has been an indoor cat since we got her. She is 16 years old now. shocked Dammit, I didn't realize cats lived this long. shocked
if it bothers the cat, spit chewing tobacco in it's mouth.
Rock chuck what kind is your fence charger? Thanks
3 or 4 years ago I was out antelope hunting and came across an electric wire hung up along side a 4 wire barbwire fence.

No idea if it was hot or not so I touched it real quick like and didn't get a shock. Cool, climbed on over with no issues. Hunted for a couple hours and came back to cross the fence. Got exactly halfway over the barbwire when all of a sudden....KAZZAM!

2 or 3 seconds of shockage until I managed to get my other leg over the barbwire and let go of the phuggin' wire. Why I grabbed the electric wire in the first place illudes me. Anyway thought I was gonna have a [bleep]' heart attack, took my breath away. Never will forget that as long as I live.
Told my dad about it and he said some old rancher was probably watching and hit the switch at just the right time.
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Yeah, my initial thought also. However, there is a trust issue that would be tried for certain, and no woman who truly loves her felines would miss that fact. I'm sure kitty, kitty, kitty, and kitty, will all figure it out in due time, and won't be any worse for wear as a result.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by husqvarna
I saw one report that said an outside cat has an average life of 2 years. An inside one averages 10 years. For a clawed indoor cat that scratches the furniture, it's more like 10 minutes.

I don't want 'em outside eatin schit I like to hunt....

I did put a cattle fence in a puddle the cows were drinking out of.....

I hope men don't go to hell for things little boys do!
Originally Posted by safariman
They spend most of thier time inside, happily. But they love to go out and play big bad huntercat for a few hours each day.

you sir, are surmising that having them live a long time is, to me, a GOOD thing. Of this I am not entirely sure.....

Does your wife have an email address?........I heard she makes a mean potato salad. grin Shucks, I won't make a peep.

Originally Posted by HawkI

I did put a cattle fence in a puddle the cows were drinking out of.....

I hope men don't go to hell for things little boys do!

I won't print what I did to creatures, brothers, and other worthy test subjects with electric fences when I was a kid. I, apparently, had poor conductivity which meant I didn't fully appreciate the suffering I inflicted on others. I sure don't want to remind the Omniscient of anything he may have forgotten.
This thread is AWESOME
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Told my dad about it and he said some old rancher was probably watching and hit the switch at just the right time.

No way in hell would I have passed up the opportunity if I saw somebody crossing an electric fence and I was able to turn it on. THats just common sence lol
Originally Posted by WildWest
Rock chuck what kind is your fence charger? Thanks
Parmak SE-4. It has a digital meter that shows the output. If it drops way down, you know you have a short so it's easy to monitor what's going on with the fence. It's supposed to be good for 50 miles but I don't use a fraction of that capacity. I just need something that a goat will understand and this sure fits the bill. I've heard it pop a nose from 10 yards away.
Before, I had a Parmak Horse Surround and it was useless for goats. They'd just lean over it. They can take a lot more juice than a horse.
eek Likely would after the ninth time. Liklely they would get the message after a couple of times. GW
Originally Posted by huntsonora
This thread is AWESOME

No it's good but would be awesome with video!!!
I don't know about a cat but it must really do something to a guy's bare bottom. This happened probably 65 years ago.

I had an uncle who would give my two older brothers a hard time and get them in trouble with my Dad. They decided to get even. They pounded some nails into the perimeter of the hole in the outhouse. Wired the nails up to the electric fence transformer in the barn. They waited until my uncle was sitting in the outhouse taking a dump with the door between his legs. Then my brother gave the signal to my other brother to hit the switch.

My uncle flew off the hole in the outhouse and almost ruined himself on the door between his legs. He chased my brothers up a tree and they couldn't come down for a few hours. laugh
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by huntsonora
This thread is AWESOME

No it's good but would be awesome with video!!!

Finally, something here that I know something about.

Never seen a fence charger kill a cat, and we've got some 500 to 1000+ acre unit boxes here. That's not to say if one of them had a weak heart that it couldn't be sent into shock, possibly killing them. Electric fence wires also put off a stray voltage that animals can detect from various distances away. If your cat is intelligent, it'll likely never "test" the wire. If he/she is a bit on the slow side, well, you know the saying: "If you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough."
Not an electric fence, but it is pretty funny and the chick is hot.

Gawd, this cracked me up.

I'd like to know what it is about a charged fence that some animals can detect. After they have some experience with it, a horse will seldom touch a hot one. Turn it off, though, and they'll be right into it. I've been told that the current generates ozone that they can smell, but I've never seen any info to substantiate it.
On the show a thousand ways to die a guy peed on one and it killed him. I think under certin conditions it can kill anything,
If it doesn't you could always up the voltage.
I'd like to know what it is about a charged fence that some animals can detect. After they have some experience with it, a horse will seldom touch a hot one. Turn it off, though, and they'll be right into it. I've been told that the current generates ozone that they can smell, but I've never seen any info to substantiate it.

Horses use the long hairs on their muzzles. They still take a little hit, but not much.

On another note, old chargers from like 40 or 50 years ago would do serious damage and sometimes kill. These new ones take the amps out of the charge. Amps are what kills, not volts.
I used to know a guy who bred horses. One morning he took his stallion out of it's stall and led it to the water tank. It had rained and the ground was muddy. As the horse came up to the tank, it brushed up against the hot wire. Dead horse.
We've had stock tank water heaters short out and give a charge to the water. I've seen cattle and horse both be able to detect it without touching the water. Unplug it and they dive in.
CFVA knows my younger brother.

I'd bet he'd have paid money to watch us trick that brother of mine into pissing on a 1000+ acre set-up, on a 10 acre field.... with the ground rod set about 6' deep (rigged to keep in one DAMNED mean Brangus bull).

Thinking on it, that incident might explain a lot about that brother of mine.
Originally Posted by VAnimrod
CFVA knows my younger brother.

I'd bet he'd have paid money to watch us trick that brother of mine into pissing on a 1000+ acre set-up, on a 10 acre field.... with the ground rod set about 6' deep (rigged to keep in one DAMNED mean Brangus bull).

Thinking on it, that incident might explain a lot about that brother of mine.

That explains a whole lot, right there.
I used to know a guy who bred horses. One morning he took his stallion out of it's stall and led it to the water tank. It had rained and the ground was muddy. As the horse came up to the tank, it brushed up against the hot wire. Dead horse.

That is just the story he told the insurance company after he clamped one hot wire to its nose and the other to its arse. wink
Seriously, though, they do make electric fences to contain cats. However, I have no idea what kind of voltage they put out.

3 phase 480? grin

There have been times when my charger has been left off after doing some work in the pen or on the fence, and it takes the horses a few days to challenge the wire. I guess they are just cautious because they are very smart horses. wink

As to the ozone theory, I'm pretty sure that an arc is needed to produce ozone. A high-voltage, low-current, bare wire won't do it.
I can tell you that if a fence is off, a goat will figure it out almost immediately. They're the hardest animal there is to contain if they really want out. They'll go over, under, or through.
Originally Posted by ironbender

There have been times when my charger has been left off after doing some work in the pen or on the fence, and it takes the horses a few days to challenge the wire. I guess they are just cautious because they are very smart horses. wink

As to the ozone theory, I'm pretty sure that an arc is needed to produce ozone. A high-voltage, low-current, bare wire won't do it.

I've got a Gallagher digital fence checker, noticed it starts picking up voltage before I touched the wire so I did some testing last weekend while installing lightning arrestors (another story alltogether). It picks up voltage starting 24 to 30 inches from the wire on my old metal cased M800 charger, and doesn't start detecting voltage until the 6 inch mark on my new, improved, plastic cased M1000's. Same ground setup on both, 4 8' rods spaced 16' apart. So much for the new and improved crap.

I'd say the animals can sense this voltage in the air with their wet noses.
I can tell you that if a fence is off, a goat will figure it out almost immediately. They're the hardest animal there is to contain if they really want out. They'll go over, under, or through.

When I had to live in Kansas I let the "goat man" put up elec fence to keep his goats in so I could get rid of sunflowers and woody plants in the pasture.

Those things were always getting out in spite of his claims of knowing how to fence them in.
Will a cattle grade electric fence hurt or kill a cat?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only if you're lucky.

If it doesn't work, get a rottweiler.

Good luck.
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by rrroae

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Only if you're lucky.

If it doesn't work, get a rottweiler.

Good luck.

We already have a 1/2 Red Border Collie 1/2 COYOTE that would have killed them all by now if we had not watched and trained her. She still kills and eats Possums and squirrels etc. but that is A O K with us.
A big factor is making sure the fence is properly built, maintained and grounded. Most fences emit a shock that is safe and sufficient enough that the animal will remember and stay away from the fence. We have built ours following this sites useful tips on installing electric fences http://www.fishock.com/resources/faqs/installation
if you're lucky it will kill them

Best Sex Ever

An elderly couple is enjoying an anniversary dinner together in a small town. The husband leans over and asks his wife, "Do you remember the first time we had sex together over fifty years ago? We went behind this tavern where you leaned against the fence and I made love to you." Yes," she says, "I remember it well." OK," he says, "how about taking a stroll round there again and we can do it for old time's sake?

"Oooooooh Henry, you devil, that sounds like a good idea," she answers.

There's a police officer sitting in the next booth listening to all this, having a chuckle to himself. He thinks, "I've got to see these two old-timers having sex against a fence. I'll just keep an eye on them so there's no trouble." So he follows them.. They walk haltingly along leaning on each other for support, aided by walking sticks.

Finally they get to the back of the tavern and make their way to the fence. The old lady lifts her skirt, takes her knickers down and the old man drops his trousers. She turns around and as she hangs on to the fence, the old man moves in. Suddenly they erupt into the most furious sex that the watching policeman has ever seen. They are bucking and jumping like eighteen- year-olds. This goes on for about forty minutes! She's yelling, "Ohhh, God!" He's hanging on to her hips for dear life. This is the most athletic sex imaginable. Finally, they both collapse panting on the ground.

The policeman is amazed. He thinks he has learned something about life that he didn't know. After about half an hour of lying on the ground recovering, the old couple struggle to their feet and put their clothes back on.

The policeman, still watching thinks, that was truly amazing, he was going like a train. I've got to ask him what his secret is. As the couple passes, he says to them, "That was something else! You must have been having sex for about forty minutes. How do you manage it? "You must have had a fantastic life together. Is there some sort of a secret?"

The old man says, "Fifty years ago that wasn't an electric fence."

If you are lucky!
all it's got to do Mark, is stun the damn cat long enough to get a quick shot in. laugh
I got a good buzz the other day. I thought it was off cause of my boots I guess. When I went between the wires I found out different. I was shocked, shocked I say.
I would be more worried about the dog/coyote mix getting a hold of that cat than the electric fence.
Kinda wondering how or more to the point WHY this was ressurected after so long, almost a year! T, that fence joke is great!

We got the fence, and it did nearly fry a cat that got caught in it. He made horrible sounds, pee'ed all over himself and the ground there, and he wouldn't go outside for MONTHS!
my suggestion would be to throughly wet the cat, then throw it into the fence. Repeat as needed.
Number of years ago i put in an electric wire fence around the yard to keep the dogs in. They learned pretty quick. I didn't.
One day i was out on the grass barefoot, working on a sprinkler with water all around, leaned over and touched that wire with my forehead. I remember looking around at the sky flat on my back and the two dogs and wife were standing aways back laughing hysterically.,, My wife i mean, not sure about the dogs.
you may or may not have an issue with that yote dog.
friend of mine had a 90% or better wolf hybred. Pretty good wolf, he really wasn't a dog.
If he got out he would hunt. Like kill 15 or 20 chickens for sport.
We would often go hunting and he would take off to do his own hunting.
I and the owner use to wrassle with him, but i don't think it would have been could if anybody else did.
I did know a guy as a kid that had some yote hybreds. They were pretty good until one day he tripped in their pen, and they were on him pretty quick.
Cats are so light weight that they have poor ground contact. On dry soil, they likely don't get enough juice to hurt anything. Keep the soil along the fence wet until Kitty gets zapped a couple of times and they'll learn.
I got zapped once when I was rabbit hunting on my uncle's property. My cousin and I were leaning on a fence having a smoke and enjoying the sunset. I could feel a barb on my leg and didn't give it much thought when "KAPOW". The jolt sent me on my back several feet away, where I sort of twitched for awhile, not knowing what happened. When I came back to reality my cousin was rolling on ground laughing his ass off. I'm pretty sure he knew what was going to happen and didn't say a thing. I felt strange and could actually taste my fillings for about a week after that. Damn, what a buzz kill.
© 24hourcampfire