Home
All,
My wife and I have a little 2.5 year old girl named Alice and we are now expecting a baby boy in a few weeks. I (we) have been really struggling with a name for him. I thought this would be a good place to get some good examples. If you have a second, send me some suggestions of sportsman type names and/or even your kids names if you don't mind me stealing a name from you.

Thanks in advance.
Take Care.
Hunter?
Fred.
Fisher?
Lance?
Barnes (The name of my cousin's baby girl)

Forrest, .....my kids name ...long before "the gump" came along.at the time the wife said it "sounds old"...well they grow up fast, and the name fits for more years than when there little/new wink
Nimrod
Gen 10: 8-9
Rod (Rodney), as in fishing rod, hot rod, you know what I mean ?
Buck
First name Bo, middle name Hunter.
Archer
Ace
John Moses
Marlin
Colt
Ruger
Sako
Originally Posted by 444Matt
John Moses

There oughtta be a law.....
Elmer Keith _________.

Wilber or Wilbur

Mike
Swampman crazy
Cole/Kole is popular here. Garrett and Wyatt are around, also. Congrats.
Some of these suggestions are better than others. Thanks so far for the input. Keep it coming.
Another buddy recommended Wissum. He is an even bigger WSM fan than I.
Hoyt

Easton
Krunk

Org

Atouk

Lar

Lawrence..... [Linked Image]

Seriously, Arthur, as in Arthur Savage
Originally Posted by RS308MX
Swampman crazy

laugh
Hirsch (German for Redstag like the hartford Insurance stag),
Jaeger (hunter)

I also second Forrest for both its outdoor and military implications.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest
Posted By: prm Re: Sportsman Style Baby Boy Names - 08/02/11
Jaeger. Also a reasonable number of "Hunters" around right now, as mentioned.
Finn
Bambi
Wilde Ride

Stone Ed

Oak Tree

Rock Hard

Bigg Mann

Bubba--everybody knows one

Cletius
We named our son Caleb. One day I said it wrong and it came out Cable and ever since, I've thought it might make for an interesting boy name.
Finn
Axel
Wolfgang
Brant
Cullen
Martin
Winchester
Nessmuk
Jimmer
Tonto
Wishbone
Flint

smile
Rigby...
Remington,Rigby,Winchester,Bo( Bow )
Could always name him Chance but then you'd have to hope he don't ever get fat.
Smith&Wesson
Trigger (Trig), Kyle, Cannon, Leupold, Roy, Robert, Whelen, Jack, Howell
A handful of these you all sent I seriously like and am going to definitely run past the boss for her reaction. Thanks again and don't hesitate to throw some more out there.
You're Welcome. If I think of more I'll post them.
Jesse as in the old Jesse James not the one building bikes.

Shiloh

Shane

Archer

Gage ( as in 12 gauge) just not spelled the same.

Tanner

Colt or Colton

Gatlin

Ok some are better then others:)
I know a man, high school principal no less, who named his first son Chase. That man carried his son to several treed bear--by the time the boy was 4 he could make it to the tree most times on his own. Boys middle name is Bear.
Just name him something normal with normal spelling.
Those cutesy or trendy names are pure torture for a kid growing up.
Being teased by older kids or constantly having to enunciate the spelling for the rest of your life because your parents thought it would make you special.

Dumb.

What if your kid ends up not liking hunting or the outdoors?
It could happen and I'm sure you would love him just the same.
Bottom line, whatever you name him, just remember the kid has to live with it the rest of his life.
Originally Posted by Salmonella
Just name him something normal with normal spelling.
Those cutesy or trendy names are pure torture for a kid growing up.
Being teased by older kids or constantly having to enunciate the spelling for the rest of your life because your parents thought it would make you special.

Dumb.

What if your kid ends up not liking hunting or the outdoors?
It could happen and I'm sure you would love him just the same.
Bottom line, whatever you name him, just remember the kid has to live with it the rest of his life.

Yep.

They're opposite of those odd ebonic names.

Tyrone.
Originally Posted by kenjs1
Archer
I like that name a lot I'll have to remember that one if I have a boy of my own.
Sam

My Boys names are Hank and Boone. I think they are both good sportsmans names. The next one will be Remmy.
Posted By: RWE Re: Sportsman Style Baby Boy Names - 08/02/11
Regardless of name, by the time he's 13, you'll be calling him "Dammit" laugh
Samuel (as in Colt). I like biblical personally, one of the twin grandsons is named Jacob Levi his twin Aaron James, oldest is John Matthew.
I know several young men named Hunter and one named Gunner. I would prefer Hunter over Gunner for my own son if choosing between the two.
Posted By: RWE Re: Sportsman Style Baby Boy Names - 08/02/11
Originally Posted by T LEE
Samuel (as in Colt). I like biblical personally, one of the twin grandsons is named Jacob Levi his twin Aaron James, oldest is John Matthew.

My grandson is Jeremiah. Apparently, all those years calling my son "dammit" (actual name is Aaron) didn't effect him too bad.
Heck, I was 14 or so before I realized my name was Terry not DAMMITTERRY
Luther
Jasper
Hollis
Hmmm... I kinda like "Whelen". Perhaps, "Mauser", but that would likely make SURE he was regularly pummeled on the playground.

If 'twere a girl, I'd suggest "Jenny Talia".

FC
Henry
Gabe . . . Walker . . . Quinn . . . Colt.

We named our younguns after preceeding family members.
My wife got our son's name off the cover of one of the gun rags laying in the floor....Barrett just turned one. I guess I figure it's about as close to owning one as I'll ever get. I know it would have been cheaper to just buy the rifle, but not nearly as much fun.
Silas; it means "of the woods"
Originally Posted by Longbob
Hunter?

+ 1 on Hunter. My wife and I named our first boy Hunter. Her family called me "The Hunter" for the first year of our relationship... They were all city dwellers and I was an Idaho ranch boy who spent most of my time in the mountains and had guns and mounted heads on my walls... It seemed only fitting to name our first boy Hunter.
Sport.
Spike
Our sons name is Hayden, named after Ferdinand Vandeveer Hayden. How about Orion ??
Posted By: KC Re: Sportsman Style Baby Boy Names - 08/03/11

Cody
Hawken
Wolf

Colten...

Twoeighty
I really like the sound of Rigby.
My two sons are named Gunnar and Steyr. Get lots of winks from fellow hunters and blank stares from their teachers....
I like Kodi spin off of Cody ---- short for Kodiak!
How about these,

Penn
Shakespeare (ok, maybe not blush )
Ross
Wilson
Garand (I'm grasping a bit here)
Lakeland
Lakemont

Got a nephew named James Aaron but goes by Aaron.

Dad not a "cusser", had a guy ask him one time if my older brother's name was MarkMark
My son is Derek, my daughter is Barbara. None of them have middle names so we wanted strong first names that matched my last name and were spelled the same in English and Spanish... it was kind of hard as you can imagine... but they go very well.
I named my boy Adrian Orion.
I chose Adrian because I didnt know anyone who had that name,and Orion is a hunter in Greek mythology.
Chase
Originally Posted by Longbob
Hunter?

Second Hunter.
Jedediah
Mac Swirley
Originally Posted by Cacciatore
All,
My wife and I have a little 2.5 year old girl named Alice and we are now expecting a baby boy in a few weeks. I (we) have been really struggling with a name for him. I thought this would be a good place to get some good examples. If you have a second, send me some suggestions of sportsman type names and/or even your kids names if you don't mind me stealing a name from you.

Thanks in advance.
Take Care.

What are your, and your wife's , grandfathers names?
Along with Pat's thinkin, we named our boy after my paternal grandfather

Emery

.... pronounced EM-er-ee

.... Old English in origin, it means "home strength".

I went to grade school with a boy named "Emery". Always thought it was a pretty cool name, ... maybe just because he was such a good kid. I dunno. His family had a small dairy farm, IIRC. Haven't ever met anyone else with that name, and don't know why I thought of it, now.
Hunter is an excellent boy�s name. However, assuming your Campfire name (Cacciatore) is your last name, it already means hunter, so it will be redundant.

The Italian word for hunter is caccia. Cacciatore di pollo is chicken cooked hunter style (chicken cacciatore).

If you would like to keep his first name traditional & something to go with Cacciatore, here�s some thoughts:

Riccardo (Richard) "powerful ruler"
Gianpiero, compound name, Gianni, God is gracious" and Piero "rock"
Eugenio (Eugene) "well born"
Silvio (Sylvan) "from the forest"
Bernardo (Bernard) "bold as a bear"
Valentino (Valentine) "healthy, strong"
Mario "male, virile"
Vittore (Victor)"conqueror"
Aldo "little sword"
Vicenzo (Vincent) "conquering"
Teodoro (Theodore) "gift of God"
Raul "wise wolf"

Interesting & good that you are giving this much thought. My father just called me 'boy' till the day he died.
Just imagine the �stuff� one can read on this Forum!
Slade or Tucker (Tuck) when he gets older. I wanted Slade but decided Tuck would be fine so my wife and I could agree his middle name is Louis after my dad.
Catfish...
Why not start a NEW TREND by calling your boy "Weird?"

Or "Unique?" After his dumb parents!

You could always try telling folks you wanted to name the kid a "trendy" outdoor-name after a popular gun powder.

Plus place a burden on him before he even has a chance!

I once dated a gal who was a teacher, who had a student named "Blaze Wilde."

Who's really-DUMB AZZ idea was that?

Kid was a trouble maker (just living up to his name!) who was a real PIA when not taking his RHETILIN (sp?). Mother was single, unmarried. I always wondered if the mom was as stoopid as her son's name! For allowing (or actually) naming her child that name ("Blaze Wilde").
Originally Posted by HawkI
Catfish...

Name the kid something "dignified" and proud and LEGAL like John or Robert or Kyle or similar, and ......

Call him by a 'nickname' like Catfish, 'Sport', 'Ace', Zeke, etc., etc.
I surprised no one said "Trapper" yet.

Or "Gunnar" or "Gunther" both become "Gunny"

I have a buddy whose sons are Trapper, Hunter and Fisher in that order.
There was a kid on my son's baseball team named Hunter DeJaeger. Hunter the Hunter? His Father is a serious duck/goose hunter whose nickname is "Goose". Oh, his baby brother's name is Remington DeJaeger.

JEff
Back in the 1960s I worked for a man named Fox Hunter Purvis. I saw his SS card.

The story he told was that when he was born his Dad was off on a one week fox hunt. The Doctor when filling out the birth certificate took it upon himself to name the baby.

Originally Posted by kkahmann
I know a man, high school principal no less, who named his first son Chase. That man carried his son to several treed bear--by the time the boy was 4 he could make it to the tree most times on his own. Boys middle name is Bear.
All,

Thanks in advance.
Take Care.

I named my eldest son Daniel (After Boone of course)
He now resides coincidently in Boone County, Kentucky.

Life cannot be predicted.
Bob
Dunno a lot of these sound like names that would be better suited as a nickname than a proper name, maybe it's just me.
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Bob

He said a "sportsman name" not a good sport. Which Bob is, of course. smile
Remington
Hunter
Forest
Fields
Bob White
Winchester
Ruger
Moose (if he's really big)

My mother wanted to name me Elliot, dad won fortunately. She probably would have liked it if I was a musical theater major too, sick
I will answer a couple of the questions asked to give a clearer picture.

Cacciatore does mean "Hunter" in Italian. It is not my name, but what my Italian buddies I met called me as a nickname when I lived there for a couple years for work.

My wife's name is Katherine (Kate). My name is Robert. I was named after my Dad's Dad. My middle name is Larry after my Dad. If I continue this trend, it may turn into a never ending cycle.
I would like to name him after my Dad, but my wife is a little unsure, so I am trying to get some options.

There have been some real good suggestions. I kind of like the sound of Rigby as well as someone suggested.

I am not looking for something goofy that my son will resent me for later, but I would like something strong and maybe even outdoorsy (not sure if that is a word).
Originally Posted by ltppowell
What are your, and your wife's , grandfathers names?

I would personally suggest this. My father was named after both of his grandfathers, and my mother was named after her grandmother. Of course they picked my name out of a book.......

My taxidermist named his three sons Hunter, Shooter and Trigger. That's cute and all, but as Sal mentioned it can really backfire if the kid ends up not being very interested in hunting or shooting.

Brian.
Have met some folks who named their first son Hunter and Fisher. And others with some of the suggestions like the above. It's cutesy when they're 2.

Thereafter it's a reminder that some folks aren't clear on whether God's given them children or pets.

Give him a man's name. Larry and Lawrence (and Robert) are all perfectly fine. I'd bet your family and hers both have many examples that he would be proud to pass on one day, instead of remembering that his very name is a gag.

I was 18 before I thought my name didn't start with dammit, some of us have a harder head than others. shocked
I will answer a couple of the questions asked to give a clearer picture.

Cacciatore does mean "Hunter" in Italian. It is not my name, but what my Italian buddies I met called me as a nickname when I lived there for a couple years for work.

My wife's name is Katherine (Kate). My name is Robert. I was named after my Dad's Dad. My middle name is Larry after my Dad. If I continue this trend, it may turn into a never ending cycle.
I would like to name him after my Dad, but my wife is a little unsure, so I am trying to get some options.

There have been some real good suggestions. I kind of like the sound of Rigby as well as someone suggested.

I am not looking for something goofy that my son will resent me for later, but I would like something strong and maybe even outdoorsy (not sure if that is a word).

Hmmmm ..... Have you considered taking a name from history? A famous explorer or leader? Or how about famous outdoor or gun writers? Characters from a hunting novel? Or big game guides or professional guides (like in Africa - like Finn Agaard for example? Or Zachery or Jedediah?).

Also, I forgot earlier that if you do name your son some common name like 'John' or 'Robert', etc. ..... be sure to spell the kid's name the NORMAL, COMMON way too!! My real-life first name has two "D's" in it and is FOREVER a pain-in-the-a## ALWAYS correcting people!!

If you were starting the name-search from scratch, I'd say name your boy a very MASCULINE and STRONG name like a CEO would have; John, Joseph, David, Kevin, Kyle, George, Thomas, etc. GOOD LUCK. wink cool
Originally Posted by Pine_Tree
Have met some folks who named their first son Hunter and Fisher. And others with some of the suggestions like the above. It's cutesy when they're 2.

Thereafter it's a reminder that some folks aren't clear on whether God's given them children or pets.

Give him a man's name. Larry and Lawrence (and Robert) are all perfectly fine. I'd bet your family and hers both have many examples that he would be proud to pass on one day, instead of remembering that his very name is a gag.

+1
Every generation has its popular names, some carry on to the next, some dont. My kids were born in the 21st century, their names are Finn and Talon. I have no regrets and their names are pretty tame compared to some kids I know.
Bart
© 24hourcampfire