Home
Posted By: kamo_gari What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
...is warm-blooded, can swim in bursts to ~45mph, travels intercontinentally, will inhale ten plus pound fish in a single bite, and can be taken within ten miles of land by those salty and lucky enough to get one to jump on a bait?

I give you a fine example of Thunnus thynnus, the mighty giant bluefin tuna. This baby was taken just hours ago by my two buddies with rod and reel. Its initial run was a quarter mile, pulling 45 lbs. of drag. It pulled the boat a mile and a half before they were able to stick it with a harpoon. Too big for the boat, so was dragged in. Weight was 1027 pounds. My boys got a grander. Unfreaking real. Way to go, you fishy bastids!

I still can't believe the quality of the pics. Rrrrr! wink

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: eh76 Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
dang big guppy! awesome!
Posted By: ingwe Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Madre de Dios!!! shocked
Posted By: 5sdad Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"
Posted By: stxhunter Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
day-um! like being hooked up to a VW
Posted By: antlers Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
I reckon a fish like that is worth a [bleep] of money.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by antlers

It's all about fat content and the luck of hitting the market (auction) at the right time, but yes, that one fish may very well pay half the season's fuel bill. A grander is on my bucket list. It's a lofty goal, I know. I also know I *will* get one.

wink

Posted By: AcesNeights Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
A once in a lifetime fish is worth far more than half a seasons fuel bill.....at least it should be.
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
A once in a lifetime fish is worth far more than half a seasons fuel bill.....at least it should be.

Not sure if you meant that literally, figuratively or some other '-ly' wink , but trust me, even for hardened, full-time commercial fishermen, a majestic, awe-inspiring fish like that one are, in their hearts, more than just dollar bills with fins. I know these guys are on cloud 9. I've caught giants with them. It never gets tired for those who love the ocean like some do.

As far as the dollar aspect, however, let me put that into perspective a bit: his fuel bill for the season can run to $40K.

I got a call from Flounder right after the fish got rigged to travel back to the barn. Said Mike was sure it'd go better than 9 bills. The horn will be mounted and will live in a place of honor for years to come. Some day, I'd like to think, some child will ask about it and be sat down and told the story of the fish that his great-grandfather took it from. But then I realize I have a propensity for being something of a romantic, sentimental fool...

wink

"I have a propensity for being something of a romantic, sentimental fool..."

Stay there,...when something works, don't screw with it.

GTC
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
"I have a propensity for being something of a romantic, sentimental fool..."

Stay there,...when something works, don't screw with it.

GTC

Note I didn't write, 'old'. Yet. wink

Domo, tomodachi.
Posted By: duxndogs Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
The horn will be mounted and will live in a place of honor for years to come.

excuse my land locked ignorance but exactly what is a tuna horn??

Posted By: NeBassman Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Outstanding catch!!!! smile
The 'horn' is the local term for the tail. A giant class tuna, anything from 73" on up, will almost always have a horn that measures 24" across or better. As there are huge fines and other nastiness that can come from killing short fish, sometimes a questionable sized fish--while still alive-- is tailroped and hauled above the waterline and measured, before any bleeding is done. If under 24", you better get a tape out and make sure.

There was no need for a measurement on this guy.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
The kind that we need to pursue with gusto - that's what kind!
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
What size line do they have on their reels ?
Posted By: BMT Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by 5sdad
"We're gonna need a bigger boat!"

+1

I still can't believe the quality of the pics. Rrrrr! wink

Very nice indeed...

I too wish they'd drop $200 bucks so they could take some High Quality shots. Once in a Lifetime deserves better than camera phone pics....
Originally Posted by curdog4570
What size line do they have on their reels ?

Generally we run 200# mono with a Dacron backer on a Penn International 130. At one point, they were down to 20 feet of backing. That giant had no idea just how close he came to breaking loose. One or two more tail thrusts and he would have been gone. And so it goes in this game. Sometimes ya lose, and sometimes ya don't...

wink
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Once in a Lifetime deserves better than camera phone pics....

Agree, but no biggie. There'll be others.

cool
Big fish.

Not warm-blooded however.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Big fish.

You might want to look that one up....
Big fish.

I just googled it. Wow, I stand corrected!

I had no idea that any fish are warm blooded. That's really cool.
Posted By: cutNshoot Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Damn!!
Posted By: bea175 Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Nice Sardine
Posted By: rattler Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Big fish.

I just googled it. Wow, I stand corrected!

I had no idea that any fish are warm blooded. That's really cool.

several species of sharks are as well, great whites, makos and salmon sharks come to mind.....warm or cold blooded is a metabolic process and not necessarily dictated by being a "higher animal".....

on a similar weird critter note crocs and alligators are closer to birds than they are to lizards.....they have a 4 chambered heart just like birds and mammals.....proto-crocodilians and proto-dinosaurs(ancestors to birds) were really closely related, the crocodilians didnt take the next step to warm bloodednes.....

crocs remind us of lizards cause only aquatic forms have survived but in the past uprigh "land crocs" that ran like dogs and such were around, fortunately they had a very hard time competing with warm blooded mammals and dinosaurs....
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
That is one whopper of a tuna
Like Old man and the Sea sized!
Posted By: jpb Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by rattler
several species of sharks are as well, great whites, makos and salmon sharks come to mind.....warm or cold blooded is a metabolic process and not necessarily dictated by being a "higher animal".....

on a similar weird critter note crocs and alligators are closer to birds than they are to lizards.....they have a 4 chambered heart just like birds and mammals.....proto-crocodilians and proto-dinosaurs(ancestors to birds) were really closely related, the crocodilians didnt take the next step to warm bloodednes.....

crocs remind us of lizards cause only aquatic forms have survived but in the past uprigh "land crocs" that ran like dogs and such were around, fortunately they had a very hard time competing with warm blooded mammals and dinosaurs....

For a printer, you post a lot of (correct) biological info!

John
Posted By: rattler Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
i have stacks and stacks of books.....the wife got mad at me this weekend and told me to clean up my side of the bed which was cluttered with various things i had been reading the last few weeks and had to move a 4 foot stack of books back to the bookshelves....topics range from ethnobotany to orchids to dinosaurs to evolution of large African mammals to rifles of the old west......

also im the local "critter guy" and have been as long as i can remember....have had numerous snake and lizard and other critters....being at the paper has only made it worse, someone doesnt know what something is they bring it to the paper and i identify wierd bugs, plants and anything else someone brings by.....had a 6 inch praying mantis dropped off last week that hung out for awhile till i turned it loose crazy
Posted By: T LEE Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
OH MAN! They had to be in 7th heaven when they got that baby back to shore! Glad nothing chewed on it on the way back.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
That's freaking awesome! Man, what a fish.

Those your buddies that have the boat I see in a lot of your fishing pics? It looked like a no nonsense fish killer.
Posted By: Skeezix Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Holy Moly!! Absolutely awesome!! Makes the "legger" king mackerels and bigger wahoos I've caught look like minnows! I didn't know fish like that even existed. And I sure didn't know they were so valuable.

Do they travel in schools? or what?

Thanks for sharing this with us.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
That's freaking awesome! Man, what a fish.

Those your buddies that have the boat I see in a lot of your fishing pics? It looked like a no nonsense fish killer.

I have posted pics of me and tuna on that rig, yes. And yes, it's a no-frills, no-nonsense work boat. If fish don't hit the deck regularly, bills don't get paid. I admire some men that make their living from the sea, but I sure don't envy them. It's a quiet, somber ride coming home when there's not going to be a paycheck; this after spending lots of money to be able to get out and try. One of my buds pictured raises a family of five on what he brings home; he's the sole (ha, ha) breadwinner. For me it's adventure. For some, catching fish or not means the difference between beinbg able to send a kid to college or not...
Originally Posted by Skeezix

Do they travel in schools? or what?

Thanks for sharing this with us.

Yes, tuna are schooling fish, though giants are said to sometimes to be found as lone hunters.

Here are a few pictures of a so-called tuna 'blitz', which is essentially a feeding frenzy of tuna that have surrounded a bait ball and are taking turns slashing into the balled-up bait fish.

And you're most welcome. Thanks for the comments.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 340boy Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Originally Posted by antlers

It's all about fat content and the luck of hitting the market (auction) at the right time, but yes, that one fish may very well pay half the season's fuel bill. A grander is on my bucket list. It's a lofty goal, I know. I also know I *will* get one.

wink

I was thinking that such a catch is worth some serious dosh.
Amazing fish.

Leighton, you better get to work fishing, my friend.
wink
Posted By: bucktales Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
leighton,
Remember the series of photos in the old "Salt Water Sportsman" magazine?
It was about a half dozen high speed shots of a giant chasing and catching a bluefish.
I also seen the photos on the wall of a tackle store in Snug Harbor. Cool indeed.
Originally Posted by bucktales
leighton,
Remember the series of photos in the old "Salt Water Sportsman" magazine?
It was about a half dozen high speed shots of a giant chasing and catching a bluefish.
I also seen the photos on the wall of a tackle store in Snug Harbor. Cool indeed.

Probably these.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Holy shat!! That's big phookin fish!! Sushi???
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Holy shat!! That's big phookin fish!! Sushi???

But of course. wink

Fish ought to be touching down in Japan sometime tonight. Pity there couldn't be some identifying mark or something. I'd love to send my brother in law over to Tsukiji to see how much it brings on the auction floor. Might be interesting to have him walk up and tell the guys there that his BIL's buddies caught it on the other side of the world 36 hours prior and see how they react. smile
Posted By: bucktales Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11

Probably these.

[Linked Image]

Yepper, that's them.
IIRC , those were taken off the cape or BI, long time ago, Thanks.
I have it on fairly good authority that the pics were taken off of Nomans Island. They were taken by Paul Murray, on the Cookie Too, in the 80s.

Nomans:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nomans_Land_(Massachusetts)
Posted By: navlav8r Re: What kind of animal... - 09/19/11
Whopper!!!
Originally Posted by navlav8r
Whopper!!!

Um, around here that'd be 'whoppah!'. wink

It is every bit of that indeed, no matter the pronounciation.

Thanks.
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: What kind of animal... - 09/21/11
Got a few better pics today. Big thanks to those who worked on the last ones. After this, one more camera to check in. I really hope for those guys that they get at least one decent shot of them and the whole fish, to frame, for posterity and family. Mikey got an 80" fish today. I'm heading out with them Monday, weather gods permitting.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Gees,..look at that mouth.

What would you say that big blues like that feed on most of the time?
Posted By: kamo_gari Re: What kind of animal... - 09/21/11
Gees,..look at that mouth.

What would you say that big blues like that feed on most of the time?

Other critters. wink Seriously, they're opportunistic and their diet I don't think can be answered in a realistic way in a word or two. IME, based on what I've seen and been told by buddies, they'll eat bluefish, striped bass, 4 flavors of herring, mackerel, eels, cod, butterfish, half-beaks, hake, whiting, pogies, haddock, skates, sand sharks (the 765 from last month had two 3 footers in his belly)...

© 24hourcampfire