Home
Posted By: Armednfree Camp Fare - 10/09/11
I'm headed down to So.Eastern Ohio to do some squirrel hunting and to check the place out for deer season. Hopefully no repairs will be needed.

Simple fare, the blow outs are in deer season. Taking my chicken mac and cheese stuff, with the spicy salsa in it. Making some Sloppy Jo's with green peppers and onion cut up.

I'll dice some squirrel and brown it in a pan. Add green peppers, onions and soy sauce for a simple stir fry. Put that over some brown rice.

Sounding Good?
Posted By: jim62 Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Originally Posted by crosshair
I'm headed down to So.Eastern Ohio to do some squirrel hunting and to check the place out for deer season. Hopefully no repairs will be needed.

Simple fare, the blow outs are in deer season. Taking my chicken mac and cheese stuff, with the spicy salsa in it. Making some Sloppy Jo's with green peppers and onion cut up.

I'll dice some squirrel and brown it in a pan. Add green peppers, onions and soy sauce for a simple stir fry. Put that over some brown rice.

Sounding Good?

Nope.
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
All except the green peppers...I am VERY allergic to Bell peppers in any guise and would be the evenings' entertainment if I ate any.

Otherwise, sounds like a great idea. grin

Ed

Posted By: Altjaeger Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Green peppers are not bell peppers. They are those green stalks looking like very shinny, round celery. smile

They are also known as scallions.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
All except the green peppers...I am VERY allergic to Bell peppers in any guise and would be the evenings' entertainment if I ate any.

Ed

Posted By: Jericho Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Making me hungry just reading this.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
all of that works for me. laugh

I love camp cooking and camp food.
Originally Posted by Altjaeger
Green peppers are not bell peppers. They are those green stalks looking like very shinny, round celery. smile

They are also known as scallions.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864

Ed

Interesting. And all this time I thought that scallions were "Green Onions", "Spring Onions", "Green Shallots", or "Salad Onions", not a pepper at all... Guess my botany-fu must be off... laugh

Ed
Posted By: rem141r Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
green onions are scallions. peppers ain't even in the same family.
Posted By: AcesNeights Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
You're not alone. I've never heard of green onions/scallions refered to as a "pepper".
Posted By: Timberlake Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Sounds real good! IF you leave out the tree rat.
Posted By: jim62 Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Originally Posted by Timberlake

My point exactly.

Posted By: Armednfree Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
green bell peppers, just called green peppers around here

And what is wrong with squirrel? Same as rabbit, I eat first year woodchucks too.

Roast Raccoon can be good, as long as they aren't eating garbage. I'm a hillbilly, but not enough for possum
green bell peppers, just called green peppers around here

That's what they have been called in my family all my life...

I love 'em, just can't eat 'em.

Now, fried tree rat or baked with some cream of mushroom soup...that's a whole 'nother story!

Ed
Posted By: Middlefork_Miner Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Originally Posted by jim62

My point exactly.

Geeze...I thought everybody loved squirrel.... shocked
Posted By: Armednfree Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Ain't nuthin' like squirrel and gravy. That and some fresh out of the oven biscuits, MAN!

Side of fried taters too!!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
all of that works for me. laugh

I love camp cooking and camp food.

Amen brother!
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Camp Fare - 10/09/11
Squirrel is a favorite, and there ain't much close.

Green pepper is a green bell pepper, nothing "green onion" about it?
Posted By: jim62 Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner

My point exactly.

Geeze...I thought everybody loved squirrel.... shocked

Nothing wrong with Squirrel.

In stews,parboiled and fried etc,etc.

Stir fried to where it is all rubbery tasting..

Hell no.

I'm not Chinese.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Ain't nuthin' like squirrel and gravy. That and some fresh out of the oven biscuits, MAN!

can we have an amen to that...AMEN
Posted By: Altjaeger Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Oops! blush
Posted By: gophergunner Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Growing up in a family where the money tree grew on the other side of the tracks, squirrel was a staple in our diet in the fall. Every one who could shoot was expected to contribute to the pot. .22 rounds were doled out carefully to my brother and I. If you left with 6 rounds of ammo, you'd better come back with at least 5 squirrels for the pot. Mom would either do it in the slow cooker or the pressure cooker to take the toughness out of it. Her dumplings were the stuff of legend. Dad was a pot-checker and made the mistake of lifting the lid om Mom's dumplings one time before they were done. They came out so tough you could have used 'um for shot put competitions.

Mom's squirrel and gravy was very good stuff. To those that don't eat it, good-that's more for me!
Posted By: CrowRifle Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Ate some BBQ groundhog at a sportsman banquet one time. He must have been one of the originals. Even the BBQ sauce was tough.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
The squirrels I kill are carefully skinned and frozen. When I get enough, they go into a big pot of Brunswick stew.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The squirrels I kill are carefully skinned and frozen. When I get enough, they go into a big pot of Brunswick stew.

sounds great.
I am trying to introduce my new wife to scrat stew.

Lord knows we have many dinners running about the yard!
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11

Nope.

lmao
Posted By: uncle joe Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11
Originally Posted by ColsPaul
[quote=Mannlicher]The squirrels I kill are carefully skinned and frozen. When I get enough, they go into a big pot of Brunswick stew.

I've been told since moving south that squirrel was the original meat in Brunswick stew. Too bad you don't have armadillos there,
you could have opossum on the half shell.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11

Sounding Good?

Nope.
nope, Sounds Great.
Posted By: blanket Re: Camp Fare - 10/10/11

You said it, best gravy for biscuits there is
Posted By: mikeymjr23 Re: Camp Fare - 10/11/11
As long as you're cooking in a cast iron! Sounds great to me!
© 24hourcampfire