Home
Which is your preferred after a good day afield?
Knob Creek but to be honest, I have not tried the other 2.
BT seems to be taking the world by storm lately. I think I've heard that name about 10 times the last few months.
woodford nice and smooth

knob creek is a little stiff for me
I like them all.

Buffalo Trace is less expensive and somewhat lighter bodied than the other two.

Woodford is rich and mellow.

Knob Creek is a little warmer on the palate, it is higher proof though.

Of course I don't water or ice them, so I know what they actually taste like. grin
Buffalo Trace for me.
I've tried them all ad they are good for a cold winter's night watching TV or the fire. But, they are expensive (worth it, but expensive for my nightly drinks), so I've pretty much standardized on Evan Williams 1783. Good and affordable.
Originally Posted by isaac
BT seems to be taking the world by storm lately. I think I've heard that name about 10 times the last few months.

Don't confuse it with Ingwe's cologne "Trace of Buffalo".
My best friend, Uncas, our Rocket Scientist friend, Dave, a travelling Lutheran Pastor, Stan, and I did a side-by-side taste test during last years' annual pheasant hunt.

Woodford Reserve won out for us. grin

Ed
I like Woodford slightly more than knob creek, both are personal favorites. Have not tried the BT yet.
I'm a scotch man but if I'm having bourbon, I'll take Evan Williams Single Barrel.
I haven't tried Knob Creek but for my tastes it's Maker's Mark. I prefer it to the other two.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by isaac

Don't confuse it with Ingwe's cologne "Trace of Buffalo".

That explains why the Poobah drinks that sewer discharge over ice... frown He probably strains it through old gym socks, 'cause that's just the way he rolls. laugh

Ed

Buffalo Trace is good. Eagle Rare from the same distillary is mo' better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Rare
Originally Posted by fish head
I haven't tried Knob Creek but for my tastes it's Maker's Mark. I prefer it to the other two.

I prefer any of the above to Makers Mark
Makers isn't bad, but it does taste thin to me.
Nice to see there are those that appreciate fine bourbon. That oversmoked Celtic Skullsplitter stuff usually gets all the love.
I like good Bourbon, Rye, Wheat, Scotch and Irish. grin
You are all going to hell for drinking that stuff.
Any of them do - so long as you have real 7-up to mix it with over ice. NOT diet 7-up.

(should rile the natives...)
I prefer Woodford for sippin but like them all.
Myself and a few others here and there own a barrel of this

Wyoming Whiskey
Originally Posted by Pugs

Buffalo Trace is good. Eagle Rare from the same distillary is mo' better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eagle_Rare

Personally I like the Buffalo Trace better. I believe the same company also distills Pappy Van Winkle which I am dying to try but haven't seen it in Colorado Springs.
Originally Posted by eh76
Myself and a few others here and there own a barrel of this

Wyoming Whiskey

That site won't let me in. I guess it doesn't believe me when I clicked I'm over 21.
Never tried Woodford...The other two I wouldn't spit out.
Buffalo Trace is my everyday bourbon. For something special, I grab for Woodford.
I haven't had Woodford but I would take Knob Creek over BT. I'll take WT Rare Breed over both.
For something special I reach for Van Winkle Lot "B".
Rare Breed is seriously good stuff, moderate price but price no object class flavor.
Booker Noe's is better than any of those three
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
My best friend, Uncas, our Rocket Scientist friend, Dave, a travelling Lutheran Pastor, Stan, and I did a side-by-side taste test during last years' annual pheasant hunt.

Woodford Reserve won out for us. grin

Ed

Woodford is definitely the best of these three. Knob Creek tastes like someone rinsed my charcoal grill with lighter fluid, and Buffalo Trace doesn't strike me any better than Ancient Age.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

Beat me to it.
Woodford Reserve is fine but its Rare Breed for me.
I have drank every Bourbon mentioned here, and still like Gentleman Jack or JD Single Barrel as good as any.

I used to like Maker's quite a bit. Then I decided Buffalo Trace was better. Now I'm back to Gentleman Jack........
They all come from Kentucky and as such all worth drinking.

Keith, I'd still like to get in on that Wyoming deal.
Tried one a while back i really liked called Blantons. It's got a race horse on the cork. Also like Jefferson Reserve. Both are fairly pricy.

Fred
I have not tried Buffalo Trace. I prefer Woodford over Knob Creek, but my favorite is Booker's.
Buffalo Trace...
Originally Posted by azrancher
Tried one a while back i really liked called Blantons. It's got a race horse on the cork. Also like Jefferson Reserve. Both are fairly pricy.

Fred

Jefferson Reserve is excellent and priced right. Again, there's just something about that Kentucky limestone water.
Knob Creek by a longshot over the other two......
I was a Maker's Mark guy until someone here at the Fire raved about Buffalo Trace. I'm now a real fan of BT, but will try the other bourbons mentioned here.

The Fire is a pretty good source of info on bourbons. It's nice to know that I have some other excellent bourbons in my future.

Thanks guys.

Steve
Woodford...
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Knob Creek but to be honest, I have not tried the other 2.

must be an Alaskan thang

just picked up another bottle the other day.

now that I buy good whiskey the danged lil woman is drinking it all up!

while I hate to see the level of the line drop down the bottle I do like the effects! whistle

BULLCHIT!

well send me a bottle Sam, hell you might be correct, I'll retract that statement after I test it and "if" I agree

do it for science Sam, for sciences
Originally Posted by byc
They all come from Kentucky and as such all worth drinking.

Keith, I'd still like to get in on that Wyoming deal.

I don't think you can convince any of the share holders to give up theirs but if someone decides they want out I will let you know. Otherwise you can contact David DeFazio and set up a barrel purchase.
I haven't tried Woodford or Buffalo Trace yet, but I'm not a big fan of the real smoky aftertaste that Knob Creek seems to leave. Maybe it's just me who feels that way about it, I don't know. Otherwise, I like it. Have heard good things about Buffalo Trace though, I need to try it. On that same note, I really need to try some Rare Breed, as I'm a bit of a Wild Turkey slut.
sick I will stick with Beefeater straight from the freezer. In fact there is one right now just four inches from my left hand.
Of those mentioned, Woodford. But like the other guy, I usually have Gentleman Jack on hand.
Love me some Buffalo Trace. Maker's is still my favorite sipping whiskey though.
Love that smokey aftertaste.

Dat's why I like McClellens islay scotch...Gonna have to try Buffalo Trace.

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
I have drank every Bourbon mentioned here, and still like Gentleman Jack or JD Single Barrel as good as any.

I used to like Maker's quite a bit. Then I decided Buffalo Trace was better. Now I'm back to Gentleman Jack........

uhhhhh, Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniels are NOT Bourbon. Just saying............
Well, Tennessee whiskey can't be bourbon, but I'll let it slide for sake of this discussion.
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
You are all going to hell for drinking that stuff.

Hmmm.....I'm willing to risk it.

I have tried all three of the brands mentioned. I like Knob Creek the best. It is a good, solid, bourbon that finishes slightly sweet and smoky. Woodford comes in second. Woodford has a unique finish that I can only describe as slightly salty. I know a lot of guys love Buffalo Trace, but it is a little thin and lacks much character in my opinion.

Among the readily available commercial brands, Booker�s, Blanton�s and Eagle Rare are some of the best, but any bourbon is better than no bourbon and more is better than less. grin

Chet
Tennessee whiskey can't be bourbon

A particular Tennessee whiskey may not be Bourbon, but Bourbon can come from Tennessee.
not any Bourbon I'd drink.
That's a different question. grin

several years ago i "acquired", for a lack of a better word, a bottle of Bullet Bourbon, and loved it, to the last drop, and I have never seen it again.
It's still around.

http://www.bulleitbourbon.com/home.aspx
Old Weller 107 is my drink of choice. All the guys in camp have switched over too! TM
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

uhhhhh, Gentleman Jack and Jack Daniels are NOT Bourbon. Just saying............

Technically, that is true. You are correct. But, I will say some Tennessee whiskeys taste more like bourbon than some "bourbons", IMO.

I forgot about Bulleit. Drank some, thought it was decent. Kinda had some vanilla type overtones to it. I think BT is better. I have not had Woodford in a very long time now. All I remember is that I liked it. Time for a bottle. Maybe this weekend........
Tennessee whiskey is charcoal filtered bourbon correct?

Knob creek - nah, don't like it
Buffalo trace - nah, don't like it
Woodford Reserve, if it's the only thing in the cabinet and i don't want to drive and pick up a bottle of Crown Royal..

I very much appreciate my Kentucky and Tennessee brethren, but dem canucks flat know how to make good whiskey.. Eh??

If i'm out of Crown or the bar is, i'll drop back to Jameson's..

Used to be a die hard Jack drinker, but really lost my taste for it...
OldRook,

What do you think of Pendleton's?

Ed
Bourbon is basically corn liquor aged in NEW charred oak barrels and has to be produced in the US to specific ranges of percent alcohol. Old meaning was corn liquor of at least 40% alcohol, aged in new charred oak barrels, in Bourbon county, Kentucky.
I live within a rifle shot of where the three brands of the subject are made, and I am a scotch drinker. Bourbon is too sweet for my taste although I give a lot of it away.

It is nice to wake up in the morning and smell Buffalo Trace cooking up a new batch that won't see the light of day for about eight years... But I would rather smell it than taste it.

A secret Bourbon hard to find outside of Kentucky is Four Roses Small Batch. I have been known to taste a dram or two of that.
One vote for Jim Beam black label.
Knob Creek.

Flyfast and I have a buddy that LOVES the stuff . . . .

BMT
Buffalo Trace, Woodford, or Knob Creek?

Yes, please!
Never tried Woodford, but sure like Buffalo Trace.
I'm good with Woodford's...
I very much appreciate my Kentucky and Tennessee brethren, but dem canucks flat know how to make good whiskey.. Eh??

Canadian whiskey is mostly thin bodied and sweet. Kid stuff. grin
Originally Posted by crossotter
One vote for Jim Beam black label.

That's my "go to".
A secret Bourbon hard to find outside of Kentucky is Four Roses Small Batch. I have been known to taste a dram or two of that.

Four Roses is pretty delicate stuff. So what scotch do you prefer?
woodford reserve is as good a sipping whiskey as i've found
Originally Posted by Tim M
woodford reserve is as good a sipping whiskey as i've found

It has to come from Tennesee to be sipping whiskey, otherwise it's bourbon...LOL
It has to come from Tennesee to be sipping whiskey

I have some cask strength Laphroaig that's sipping whisky, but it sure isn't from Tennessee. grin
Originally Posted by mathman
It has to come from Tennesee to be sipping whiskey

I have some cask strength Laphroaig that's sipping whisky, but it sure isn't from Tennessee. grin

No, just the barrel is...
woodford reserve is a really good bourbon. My everday is the Elijah Craig bourbon. Not real easy to find, but great price and my favorite. About $18 for 750 ml
No, just the barrel is...

Maybe, maybe not.
I agree with and like a lot of suggestions here. My go to is Bulleitt. Awesome whisky, great belnd of temper and flavor. Just mellow enough to still hint of bold. It is closest to Woodford out of your three and somewhat similar to Makers Mark.
Originally Posted by mathman

Canadian whiskey is mostly thin bodied and sweet. Kid stuff. grin

I totally agree. Canuck whiskey mostly sucks. Pendleton and Wiser's Very Old top the list, IMO. The rest of the list is very unimpressive.

Drank a couple shots of JB Black last night. Just okay. Not near my first time trying it.

Tried to buy some Woodford on my way home from work, but they were out. Settled on some Gentleman Jack........
APDD never heard of Pendeleton's.. What's it like? Don't like razor edged whiskey much any more.. like it smooth and mellow..

I really enjoy that CR... thin and sweet??? Nah... smooth and good!

each to his own... Just had a bailey's and coffee after working out in the yard all day, just about ready to crack that CR bottle again...

Sipping a little Wild Turkey Rare Breed right now. Good stuff too.
Originally Posted by OldRook
APDD never heard of Pendeleton's.. What's it like? Don't like razor edged whiskey much any more.. like it smooth and mellow..

each to his own... Just had a bailey's and coffee after working out in the yard all day, just about ready to crack that CR bottle again...

You would like Pendleton.............. a lot if you like CR.
Originally Posted by OldRook

I think you'd like Pendleton's. Full body, smooth. It's a blend, so tends to be very consistent. Runs a bit less than Woodford around here, around the same as CR.

Ed
i'll track down a bottle and try it.. appreciate the info.

always looking for something new..

LH
If I'm going to drink anything besides Scotch, Pendleton's IT!

I for one, like it better than Crown Royal.

Virgil B.
I like Pendleton far better than CR.

This stuff is also FAR better........

http://therumhowlerblog.wordpress.com/whisky-reviews/canadian-whisky/wisers-18-years-old/
I like Crown Royal a lot and Pendleton's DOES NOT do it for me.

To each his own though. This thread just goes to show how each of us have their own personal preferences and tastes.
doesn't it though

I have tried to be a scotch drinker, two fingers and a couple of ice cubes, but i cannot do it..

got a bottle of 18 year old McAllan (sp?) last year for christmas, have tried it twice and just can't say i like it..

Used to drink Beam and Jack exclusively.... Nope, can't do it anymore, don't even like the smell of it..

glass of cr, ice and a macanudo (yes, i smoke mild cigars to!)
i'm set for the evening..

appreciate the tip, i will try the pendleton's and check out the link.
Hey OldRook, I'll trade you a bottle of CR for that McAllen you got sitting around. As to the question of burbons though, I always have enjoyed Booker's.
I found a place in Anchorage that actually has this bourbon but it was a little early for me (11 am) to be drinking. Next time i'm in town i'm going to stop by and try it. I like mine straight up with no ice, hopefully that's how you like it.
The thing about Booker's is that it is uncut and comes from a single cask. It is smooth but very powerful
Buffalo Trace
Originally Posted by fatherof4
The thing about Booker's is that it is uncut and comes from a single cask. It is smooth but very powerful
Thanks for the heads up, i'll make sure to only have one when I try it. If I like it enough i'll pick up a bottle and enjoy it at home.
I have tried to be a scotch drinker, two fingers and a couple of ice cubes

That's where you're messing up.

Crown Royal on ice and a Macanudo? Nah. Rare Breed (mixed only with the space inside a glass) and a Punch Double Corona maduro for me.
I'm drinking some 12 yo Glen-something right now. It's good.
While not a bourbon I did have some Sazerac Rye this weekend. I liked it a lot and price was right too.
If the price was right it was probably this one:

[Linked Image]

Unfortunately for my wallet I had this one first:
[Linked Image]

The basic one isn't even in the same league with the 18 year old version.
It was the top one. For $25, its one of my new favorites.

I haven't tried the 18yo (yet!) but I don't expect a $25 whiskey to compete with a $125 whiskey unless we're talking Johnny Walker Blue. Most overrated blended scotch IMHO.

If you want a really good rye for a moderate price, try this at 101 proof:

[Linked Image]
Thanks, I'll have to pickup a bottle.

I'll be honest, I like the 101 Wild Turkey Bourbon so I'm now excited to try their rye.
I find their 101 Rye to be an outstanding value. Don't let them know it's under priced though!
Fatherof4

appreciate your willingness to trade, but i will get the nerve up to try it again.. probably around the holidays!

I have smoked a couple of very good punch cigar's saved the tubes, i'll have to see what configuration..

Don't like Havana's... Harsh!
OldRook, my offer was mostly in fun anyways. I have had the 18yo before, anniversary gift, but the best bang for the buck is the 12yo. To me McAllen is so smooth that I find myself sipping down the whole bottle. The 18 and 21 year olds are to expensive too quench my thirst.
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
Originally Posted by fatherof4
Thanks for the heads up, i'll make sure to only have one when I try it. If I like it enough i'll pick up a bottle and enjoy it at home.

The proof of the bottle is printed on the little tag around the neck. The strongest I have had was 137 proof.
I had one bottle of Bookers that rang up 142.4 proof. It all tests in the 134 to 144 range.

For the octane, it's amazingly smooth stuff.

If I'm drinking top shelf stuff, I'll run with Bookers. Otherwise, I prefer George Dickel to the Jim and Jack options.
That said, the Bunnahabhain (sic) stuff that Trey brought to the '09 pig hunt was simply otherworldly. Ask TLEE...
© 24hourcampfire