Home
lets see who I can offend:
went back last week from phoenix to detroit to pick up a restored 1953 M38A1 military jeep, and carried it via trailer back to phoenix, four thousand miles in four days.
Went I40 back to oklahoma city then 44 north and east through missouri, indiana, illinois, ohio to michigan. Rain and winds for one thousand miles.
The panhandle of texas:
Give it back to the commanches. Wind blowing like a son of a gun, colder than a well diggers butt, miles and miles of no grass. Oklahoma city, I probably will get citations in the mail for those stupid toll roads. I have never seen a toll road before, what are you supposed to do, drop money into a machine every few miles. Tulsa was pretty going through it, super huge crosses, I understand a couple of things now, why oral roberts was there, the term "okie" among them. Missouri was a pretty pretty state along the road there, lots of dead deer, say we counted ten of them along the road way. Having just gotten back from a deer hunting trip where it is hard to find deer in northern arizona, it stood out. So did a sign that said something like, " deer season, don't veer, didn't understand that, but do now.
Illinois was wierd, good roads, but how to lock up the armament in the car to avoid politizi from carting us off to jail. Indiana again was a beautiful state, nice people, lousy roads, I think every section of the interstate had miles and miles of concrete barriers. Lots of signs, hit a worker years in jail and a big fine. Northern ohio around toledo it really began to change. Crossing the river into michigan on my right was this huge "Toleo Islamic regional conference center." Lit up at night, just struck me odd in the heartland. A guy i was going to stay with wanted to take me to a Country Kitchen where they served Lebonanese food. Declined, I own pet goats and i didn't want to see them on the menu.
Detroit is to be seen to be believed, a area in its death throws. Passed a tripple stack hi rise public housing set of buildings the Surpremes grew up in, windows broken out and abandoned. The destruction was all over the place.
We stayed in Grosse Pointe which at one time was where the auto executives lived in a better time. On Jefferson Ave, the main drag, we stopped at a British Petroleum/Subway store, the guy we had met said "gotta go, not here to get gas." My son in law had went into the subway and the guy making the sandwiches was behind about two inches of bulletproof glass due to the repetitive holdups. Liberal politics at work.
If one wants to argue the effects of liberalism, visit
detroit, and realize this at one time was our industrial center. All gone and dieing. Phoenix is pretty much multiracial, all kinds of people live here and it doesn't stand out. In Detroit, I was glared at, didn't realize at first why, but then it dawned on me I was white. On the way back had another experience, stopped about midnight coming off the freeway at a 7/11 off the main drag in albuquerque. The building didn't have an entry, you told the guy behind bulletproof glass what you wanted, and after paying, the coffee was handed out through a turnstyle. Amerika in the 21century. There were at least five patrol cars in the five blocks we passed. New Mexico is What politically?
Lots of pretty country, and pretty clear why people are moving out of those areas, the politics don't work. All I could think of was the community organizer wanting that for the rest of the country.
In richmond, Indiana found out brown county was about half an hour to the south. My family settled there in the 1850's before later moving to kansas, then to arizona. I was thinking of what it took to do that by wagon. Tougher people than what we often have today, and are what made this country.
As apposed to the entitlement group we seem to have today.
By the way, the M38Ai korean war vintage jeep has 33000 original miles on it and it sort of is coming home being rescued. It was decommissioned at the tule army depot in ogden utah, went to Ct., then to michigan, and now back again out west.
The jeep must have known it was coming home. I have a M1D sniper Garand built at toule arsonel, and a m1Carbine with elmer Keith's stamp done at toule arsonel, I think they are going to be part of a package.
sounds about spot on
At least from the interstate veiwpoint.

Someday I'll get to Phoenix
My BIL is bugging us to retire there with him...
I lived in Missouri and killed one deer with a rifle and two with my truck, you learn to drive with your steering wheel in it's full upward position and slumped down in the seat a bit so the 200 lb carcass coming through the windshield doesn't take you out as it removes your back window,tool box, and tail gate.

Maybe the midwest can implement some kind of catch and release system with deer, relocate them to northern AZ.

Mike
You are the first person to claim IL has good roads...

Travis

I might add the jeep has a camp Perry parking sticker on it. That is gonna stay.
I am not sure that the problems up there in the midwest are correctible.
We crossed the cayugi or something like that river, and my son in law was describing how a number of years ago it had caught fire.
When we stopped in richmond the first day out of detroit, that is richmond, indiana, we ate dinner at a cracker barrel, and it was a relief to see the happy, smiling people. Much different than a little to the north.
I was told, don't know how true it is, that the detroit area is comprised of blacks, muslims, and hispanics, and they don't like each other much.
I was sitting in the baseball stadium in Cleveland watching the Indians with "the Hawk" as a small child when the Cuyahoga was on fire, we had to drive around several detours to get home to Strongsville. I've read it has been cleaned up and you can eat fish out of it now. Not then, probably '67 or '68 as I was in kindergarden at the time.
Originally Posted by ColsPaul

Someday I'll get to Phoenix
My BIL is bugging us to retire there with him...
Well, visit first - several times and at different times of the year..

I've been there a few times to visit friends - only way I'll go again would be in February/March.. Even then, an 'inverted atmosphere' layer (or some such thing) made breathing difficult at times and made the eyes water.. I was told it's a rather common occurance.. eek

Guess I'm lucky to be in a part of the country where the air's pretty darn good - well, except for the lovely, drifting aroma of liquid manure when applied to fields from the various dairy farms.. EWWW.. laugh laugh
Originally Posted by RoninPhx

Detroit is to be seen to be believed, a area in its death throws.

Someone sent me an email a while back, showing pictures of Hiroshima and Detroit in both 1945 and 2011. The obvious trend was not favorable to the US. Not suggesting Detroit should be nuked for its own good, but the thought crossed my mind.
Detroit has a fair mix of all races, and there are tensions. The city government has proved its ineptitude time and again, but this current administration is looking at consolidating the people in certain areas so they can afford to provide emergency services. They have then considered razing the resultant empty buildings. Best thing that could happen to the city. Oddly enough, the movie industry has found Detroit useful, I know in at least one movie, it doubled as Sarajevo during the civil war. Easy to do in that pit. I find time and again that folks judge all of Michigan by Detroit, Flint and the southern cities. It's not an accurate assessment. There is a tremendous amount of farmland in the south, and some outright wilderness in the north. It's a great state for recreation, just a tough one to find a job in. I have high hopes since we got a republican govt' that has balanced the budget and is actively courting manufacturing and other industries. I hope they are successful, but it's a tough state to get industry into due to high labor costs. The expectations of the union labor may be the thing keeping industry from coming here.
Pretty incredulous to judge the entire Midwest by Detroit and the Cuyahoga River. Pretty stupid too.

Especially coming from PHX where you can cut the air with your knife and use it to butter bread.

And how many governors have been jailed in AZ
Originally Posted by BrentD
Pretty incredulous to judge the entire Midwest by Detroit and the Cuyahoga River. Pretty stupid too.

Especially coming from PHX where you can cut the air with your knife and use it to butter bread.

Agreed
I remember the Cuyahoga burning,
But it cleaned up quickly
Now, one can canoe it's entire length and eat fish from all parts. Even from the Flats of Cleveland.

I've seen Detroit in both times as well.
I pray that some day it will be back to the industrial city it once was.
I'd expect a super-educated omniscient, unfazed by and inured to the plurality of sillybobbles, to know the distinction between incredulous and incredible.
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
I'd expect a super-educated omniscient, unfazed by and inured to the plurality of sillybobbles, to know the distinction between incredulous and incredible.

Ken, you are such a wonderful puppy dog...

Not sure where that idea comes from. I breathe the air here all year long and don't see an issue with it. And everyone knows we eat tortillas here and not bread.
Originally Posted by RufusG

Not sure where that idea comes from. I breathe the air here all year long and don't see an issue with it. And everyone knows we eat tortillas here and not bread.

Tied with LA for second worst air in the US.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/...69011&title=2_PhoenixMesaGlendale_AZ
You really are that dense?
Glad you by passed Iowa even though I wonder what you would have noticed.

ddj

I prefer to walk outside rather than consult the Huffington Post for my scientific information.
Next trip, use I-80 as your main route, but take the time to jog off it and take some alternate roads. You might find some good things.

And I know plenty of folks out here from MI. They don't seem to be in a hurry to go back, and I don't recall them choking when I talked to tem.
Try this one or any of a dozen others.
http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

I've been in PHX a good bit. Nothing like coming in for a landing through the yellow clouds.

Only an idiot would think PHX has decent air quality.
Yep, Huff Po sucks.
Try this one or any of a dozen others.
http://www.citymayors.com/environment/polluted_uscities.html

I've been in PHX a good bit. Nothing like coming in for a landing through the yellow clouds.

Only an idiot would think PHX has decent air quality.

HuffPo and insults. Yep, you've convinced me.

I knew you would be along shortly.
If you will go to my post i mentioned a lot of beautiful country in the midwest, detroit isn't one of them.
By the way, it was 40degrees this morning here in phoenix

wow brent, u would think "you'ed" be a lot nicer...with all the locations u have (under that cow of yours there)don't look like there's much more places(loc) that would take u in ...........imo..... smile And RoninPhx / thanks for the trip thur the corn belt.
By the way, it was 40degrees this morning here in phoenix

42 degrees here. wink
Originally Posted by old70
Detroit has a fair mix of all races, and there are tensions. The city government has proved its ineptitude time and again, but this current administration is looking at consolidating the people in certain areas so they can afford to provide emergency services. They have then considered razing the resultant empty buildings. Best thing that could happen to the city. Oddly enough, the movie industry has found Detroit useful, I know in at least one movie, it doubled as Sarajevo during the civil war. Easy to do in that pit. I find time and again that folks judge all of Michigan by Detroit, Flint and the southern cities. It's not an accurate assessment. There is a tremendous amount of farmland in the south, and some outright wilderness in the north. It's a great state for recreation, just a tough one to find a job in. I have high hopes since we got a republican govt' that has balanced the budget and is actively courting manufacturing and other industries. I hope they are successful, but it's a tough state to get industry into due to high labor costs. The expectations of the union labor may be the thing keeping industry from coming here.

by far i am not judging all of michigan by the southern cities, the friend i stayed with has a farm in upstate michigan and another time i can't wait to get up there. But i am going to fly when i do that.
As to the heat in phoenix, rather have the heat than that cold.
Speaking of which, it was clear all the way back until i hit flagstaff, about 125miles north of phoenix, and the snow.
Originally Posted by atvalaska
wow brent, u would think "you'ed" be a lot nicer...with all the locations u have (under that cow of yours there)don't look like there's much more places(loc) that would take u in ...........imo..... smile And RoninPhx / thanks for the trip thur the corn belt.

Just trying to help. After all, the first line of the OP was:
"lets see who I can offend:"

I was just trying to make him feel successful and good about himself. Seems like I managed that.... smile
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf.

Not sure I'd want to be there in July though.
Originally Posted by old70

by far i am not judging all of michigan by the southern cities, the friend i stayed with has a farm in upstate michigan and another time i can't wait to get up there. But i am going to fly when i do that.

Ron, I'm not pointing any fingers at you, I travel a lot, and I've actually had people ask me, 'oh, you're from Michigan, what part of Detroit are you from' and was basing my comment on those folks. Many don't realize just how big the state is or what we have to offer. BTW< two years ago, I attended two conferences in PHX, one in January, one in February. Almost hated coming home, going from 70 degress to 27 in 5 hours kinda shocks the system. If it weren't for AZ summers, I'd consider living there post-retirement. Loved the Ft. Huachuca area about 7 years ago when I attended a school there.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf. �

Goodyear and Litchfield Park have an interesting history.

Around 1915�1920, P W Litchfield (head honcho of Goodyear Tire and Rubber) bought-up about 35,000 acres around there for about twenty, twenty-five bucks an acre, to grow cotton for Goodyear tires. Cotton, of course, soon gave way to other fibers for use in tires.
laugh laugh laugh

You beat me to it.. Must be all that touted liberal edyoukashun... Heheheheee..

Thanks, Amigo!

'Tis nice to see you using a complimentary ad hominem response!

Thanks, Amigo!

'Tis nice to see you using a complimentary ad hominem response!

Any time, any time.

What was it you said? Oh yes, " super-educated omniscient, unfazed by and inured to the plurality of sillybobbles"

ad hominen begets ad hominen is how I call it.

Now Mr. Vocabulary Man, how is it that you didn't know what a Renaissance Man was? For a frustrated English major, you sure are a ball of contradictions. But it does make you more entertaining.
As to the heat in phoenix, rather have the heat than that cold.
Speaking of which, it was clear all the way back until i hit flagstaff, about 125miles north of phoenix, and the snow.

I can dress for cold weather, but when it gets hot, there's only so much I can take off. YMMV smile

Here's a nice video of a comparable Jeep. Cool stuff!

Originally Posted by 5sdad
Next trip, use I-80 as your main route, but take the time to jog off it and take some alternate roads. You might find some good things.

almost did that on the way back, as i wanted to go to topeka, and manhatten kansas. I believe 80 runs near there. Family lived there in the 1850's and so on, still have cousins there and a bunch of family in cemetaries there. They moved from indiana to kansas, and from there to arizona in the 1890's.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
In March-April I spent 6 weeks out in an extreme western suburb of Phoenix called Goodyear, right next to the Estrella Mountain Regional Park. Beautiful country imo and the weather was just plain fantasic. Low 90s mostly, no clouds or humidity and the air quality was fine imo. Great weather for golf.

Not sure I'd want to be there in July though.

actually one of the routes north from mexico with the drug runners is to the south of the estrella mountain range where you can hook up to the estrella parkway and then to I10
that poor jeep has been modified.
The one i bought has the correct military colors and original engine and stuff under the hood, including the shovel under the hood. Has the military top, pintles, and so on. Basically it looks like it did 6/53 when it was delivered to the army from toledo ohio where built.
I was thinking of stopping and taking a picture of it next to willys blvd in toledo.
Unlike the WWII jeeps, it has the axe on the rear side top of the passenger compartment. 5.38rear end too by the way and 70horse power with the F engine. Step up from the L 55hp WWII engine.
My wife things I am off the deep end. Now have a 42ford script jeep, a 44ford, 45willy's, 49cj2a, the 53m38a1 and a 72fj40 toyota.
My diesel polluting 98 dodge 3/4ton 4x4 by the way towing a trailer and the jeep got about 18.5mpg round trip. The M38 may have a pedestal mount and a M2 Browning in the back for the julyfourth parade in prescott. Am trying to get my wife and daughter to make some W.A.C. uniforms to drive me around in the parade.
almost did that on the way back, as i wanted to go to topeka, and manhatten kansas. I believe 80 runs near there.

80 goes through Nebraska.
Ron, you live in Az., feed goats, and don't eat cabrito? smirk
BrentD asked: Now Mr. Vocabulary Man, how is it that you didn't know what a Renaissance Man was? For a frustrated English major, you sure are a ball of contradictions. But it does make you more entertaining.

The guy least likely to understand or endorse, and accept for himself, the term "Renaissance Man" - more than likely is closest to fitting that term.
Originally Posted by trouthunterdj
Glad you by passed Iowa even though I wonder what you would have noticed.

ddj

corncorncorncornbeanscorncorncornbeansryecorncorncowcorncorncorn

That pretty much sums up my trip across I-80 thru Iowa........
Originally Posted by ratsmacker

corncorncorncornbeanscorncornDESMOINEScornbeansryecorncorncowcorncorncorn

That pretty much sums up my trip across I-80 thru Iowa........

Just one small editorial correction. Otherwise, that's exactly right.

Sincere apologies to all �

In a moment of smart-assed recklessness, I succumbed to a sin that I despise � the despicable ad hominem avoidance of logic, courtesy, and the issue in question. I should've reserved my pie hole for enjoyment of neighbor Sonya's incredibly delicious prize-winning pies, or at most have posted no more than

incredulous � (of a person) unable to accept or believe, skeptical
incredible � (of a concept) hard to believe, unbelievable

Please visualize soulful brown eyes downcast in sadness, a stub of a tail trying to hide between my legs, and a salty droplet splatting into the dust.

I'm ashamed but can not ask you to forgive me, because I can not forgive myself.

I'm sorry.

really
Ken, this is the internet

It doesn't matter

really
Yes, it does!

really
You are dead-on about the Texas panhandle and the wind - I drove across there with a canoe strapped to my roof in 2001 and I thought the wind was gonna peel my truck open like an old sardine can. Did you see the World's Tallest Crucifix?

Yes, it does!

really

Okay, then. Since you are the wordsmith, look up the definitions of disingenuous, hypocrite, an mirror. You have been doggin' me in ad hominem fashion for a fair while now.

I'll try to brush up on my vocabulary in the meantime and also try to reconquer of the autocorrection gremlins.

You have a happy evening now.

Yes, it does!

really

Okay, then. Since you are the wordsmith, look up the definitions of disingenuous, hypocrite, an mirror. You have been doggin' me in ad hominem fashion for a fair while now.

I'll try to brush up on my vocabulary in the meantime and also try to reconquer of the autocorrection gremlins.

You have a happy evening now.

REALLY
nolo contendere

You won't be the subject of any Ken Howell post from now on.

Romans 12:18 � If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
Feel free to drive around Oklahoma next time. wink

Expat
I will return the favor.

Originally Posted by oruacat2
You are dead-on about the Texas panhandle and the wind - I drove across there with a canoe strapped to my roof in 2001 and I thought the wind was gonna peel my truck open like an old sardine can. Did you see the World's Tallest Crucifix?

Yeah, i saw the crucifix and immediately thought of oral roberts. Had a shirt tail relative once owned a farm near odessa tx. They found oil on it, and she never really liked it because of the smell. When she died, they found canciled checks to Oral totaling close to one million dollars.
Ohio's vote yesterday regarding public unions was an example of what i was talking about in that area's slide into purdition.
by the way, on bart's thread about hitting a deer, i think i saw that same blood stain on the road in oklahoma but didn't have enough time to get a picture of it.
© 24hourcampfire