Home
Posted By: Spanokopitas Generator problem - 11/27/11

I have a 6.5kw Gererac genset that has always been difficult to start but once started has always produced electricity. Today I finally got it started but no output.

I hate to have to haul it into town for service. Is there some diagnostic I can run or should I just pack it in?
Posted By: chris_c Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Should have a reset button that may need to be reset.
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11

It has a number of reset buttons on the panel all of which have been reset.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Generac Service Questions
Posted By: Auger01 Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
I would first check the capacitor to make sure it is not bad. Its most likely that or a loose connection inside the generator.

Post a model # and let the troubleshooting begin.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I have a 6.5kw Gererac genset that has always been difficult to start but once started has always produced electricity. Today I finally got it started but no output.

I hate to have to haul it into town for service.

Your electric wang broke down?
Originally Posted by eh76

Spanky this seems to be a free service....even if it isn't spend a few shekels to get your Generac working. Quit being a tightwad.

It's not a free service, they want a credit card up front. But thanks for the info.

I have no problem with buying a new one if I have to.
hmmm buy a new one or spend a couple of bucks to diagnose the old one...........yep buy a new one that makes sense. You could always call the manufacturer.
Originally Posted by Auger01
I would first check the capacitor to make sure it is not bad. Its most likely that or a loose connection inside the generator.

Thank you, I'll post the model number tomorrow right now I'm about ready for bed.
wow...... "Amount you will pay IF satisfied with the answer: $ 17" and you balked.................friggin unbelievable...you don't even have to pay unless you are satisfied. How cheap are you? You make Ebenezer Scrooge look like a big spender!
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas
Originally Posted by Auger01

Thank you, I'll post the model number tomorrow right now I'm about ready for bed.

I can't believe you want free advice....do you give your books away?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Is it plugged in ??

Seriously - if it was producing power when last shut down, then the sudden problem probably is a bad connector, wiring issue (mice chewed wire, etc.) or something that became broken while moving it. Take a good look.

If the gen is spinning fine and free, it is some electrical bug. Got a meter? Start at the output from gen and start measuring/testing until you get a zero.
Posted By: Klikitarik Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Originally Posted by eh76
wow...... "Amount you will pay IF satisfied with the answer: $ 17" and you balked.................friggin unbelievable...you don't even have to pay unless you are satisfied. How cheap are you? You make Ebenezer Scrooge look like a big spender!

That sounds like the kind of place I've used. On the single occasion I tried it, they worked with me over two days to arrive a satisfactory conclusion. It was then that I had to make the payment. (Of course they also like to try to 'oblige' a tip out of you, but that seems to keep things on the pleasant and helpful side of the scale.)

Generac 6500 EXL
serial 4123935
120/240v
54.2/27.amps
single phase, 3600rpm

Any help greatly appreciated.
Originally Posted by CCCC
Is it plugged in ??

Seriously - if it was producing power when last shut down, then the sudden problem probably is a bad connector, wiring issue (mice chewed wire, etc.) or something that became broken while moving it. Take a good look.

If the gen is spinning fine and free, it is some electrical bug. Got a meter? Start at the output from gen and start measuring/testing until you get a zero.

The gen is spinning just fine, no output at any of the output sockets and no power to the house. It's got to be an internal electrical problem.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Did you check the Flux Capacitor ?
Posted By: DayPacker Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Is there power out of the generator to output panel?

I think I located the problem. I pulled the inspection plate off the rear of the generator and spotted a fried connector to an aluminum part the looks to me like a heat sink. It is marked BCT8-04 and it is definitely fried. Is that the Flux Capacitor It looks like a spider shorted it out.
Posted By: fish head Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
Here's the problem with your connected aluminum thingy.

According to our model (Fig. 2), the minimal mass of glycoproteins needed to detect a field of 2 mV/m is M&1.4_10_18/2_10_6&0.7_10_12 kg, which corresponds to a sphere of about 11 mm in diameter. Electroreceptor cells have diameters of 10�20 mm. If we assume that the glycoproteins form prolate ellipsoids, it is easy to see that they could control the opening of 10�20 ion channels per cell, which could be sufficient to initiate transduction by the same mechanism as that occurring in stretch receptors. A 2-MDa hyaluronan molecule has a length of about 5 mm, and individual hyaluronan molecules can be linked together to form cables >200 mm [Day and de la Motte, 2005]. Thus, the force applied to the glycoproteins by the field could cause a simultaneous response in many cells.

You owe me $10.00.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: Generator problem - 11/27/11
this is [bleep] funny..
Originally Posted by fish head

According to our model (Fig. 2), the minimal mass of glycoproteins needed to detect a field of 2 mV/m is M&1.4_10_18/2_10_6&0.7_10_12 kg, which corresponds to a sphere of about 11 mm in diameter. Electroreceptor cells have diameters of 10�20 mm. If we assume that the glycoproteins form prolate ellipsoids, it is easy to see that they could control the opening of 10�20 ion channels per cell, which could be sufficient to initiate transduction by the same mechanism as that occurring in stretch receptors. A 2-MDa hyaluronan molecule has a length of about 5 mm, and individual hyaluronan molecules can be linked together to form cables >200 mm [Day and de la Motte, 2005]. Thus, the force applied to the glycoproteins by the field could cause a simultaneous response in many cells.

You owe me $10.00.

Where's figure two? The check is in the mail.
You know if you welen't such an allogant plick you wouldn't catch so much clap when you leally need help wink
Posted By: Spanokopitas Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
Originally Posted by fish head

You owe me $10.00.

It's not the flux conductor. It is the flux rectifier which was out of sync with the flux conductor thus causing an unregulated flow of bosons to the coagulator.

Bottom line is I need a new flux rectifier. Anyone have one? I'll pay top dollar.
Posted By: Steve Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
I'm sure that in 2041 flux rectifiers are available in every corner drugstore, but in 2011 they're a little hard to come by.

This is a BCT8-04, a precursor to the 2041 model which can rectify more bosons per unit time. Do you have a 2041 model? How much?
Posted By: CCCC Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
Well, it did not take long to find the cause once you started looking. Get the part, install it, check the electrical flow, fire up the machine, be happy.

Problem is finding the part. I'll be searching today.
Posted By: fish head Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
Find it? WTF ...

Just make one. wink

Here ya go.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: okie Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
It's probably a failed SCR (silicon controlled rectifier) or diode which is used to excite the field. No excitation no alternator output. There may be bad fuses in the control circuit too. These are just generic guess based on the simple principals that these devices use to work and no doubt will not be better than having a trained tech meter in hand troubleshooting this in person. Have them fix your fuel problem too or you will wear out starter motors prematurely. You also won't need a higher amp rated battery you were asking about at an earlier date.

I think I have found the problem. It is a rectifier that is obviously fried. It is marked BCT8-04.

Rather than bring the entire unit into town for service I decided to replace the rectifier. Now all I have to do is find the rectifier.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
Sorry Fish, but that schematic is incorrect. The C171 capacitor is figured backwards.
Posted By: okie Re: Generator problem - 11/29/11
Is this it? http://www.datasheetdir.com/BCT8-04+Rectifiers

If so it should be available at Frontier, Newark or Allied supply.
Originally Posted by okie
Is this it? http://www.datasheetdir.com/BCT8-04+Rectifiers

If so it should be available at Frontier, Newark or Allied supply.

That's it. Do you think Radio Shack would have it?

Thank you very much.---Spano
Posted By: okie Re: Generator problem - 11/30/11
Can't hurt to ask. All they can say is no. They may order it for you but Frontier has it online...
© 24hourcampfire