Home
Posted By: boatme99 Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
If youv'e ever lived in Florida, you know about honeybell oranges. They're actually a hybrid of a grapefruit and a tangerine. They're the sweetest, juciest "orange" you'll ever eat. They're only available for a few weeks in Jan. and Feb.
Well, I just got my first case delivered today and let me tell you, I'm in hog heaven! I've got another case due at the end of the cycle. I highly recommend you get some.
I feel like Kramer at Mackinaw peach season.
Never heard of em, are they like the Aurora Borealis...?

Posted By: shreck Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Love 'em, almost too sweet, almost.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Had em in the back yard till Charley came through, sure miss that tree!
Posted By: shreck Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Originally Posted by T LEE
Had em in the back yard till Charley came through, sure miss that tree!

Oh that well and truly sucks.
Posted By: T LEE Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Yes it does, used to juice gallons. Hell you could get a 4 oz glass of juice out of ONE. Wife ate em like candy.
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
I have a box coming up in a week or so from Vero Beach. An old friend has a grove full of 'em. laugh
Posted By: ironbender Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Never heard of them.

Then again when we get citrus that has actual juice or peaches that don't crunch...we lose our freakin' minds!
Posted By: AFTERUM Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/12/12
Also called the Minneola Tangelo, or just a Minneola, it is a cross between a Duncan Grapefruit and a Dancy Tangerine....are not round and have a "nipple" on top which makes them look like a bell...zipper skinned and easy to peel, they are, as mentioned above, full of juice.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/13/12
Yep, best citrus in existence. I order a case for family every year and 1 for myself. We get em in the grocery store as well, but they're lesser quality. The best Honeybells get shipped.

Orlando Tangelo's are close, but Minneolas are king.
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/13/12
Wife want to try some.

Somebody post a companies name and address, so she can order some.

Thanks
Posted By: Stush Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/13/12

Found this one:

http://www.honeybell.com/gifts/store/home__10255_10008
Posted By: Foxbat Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/13/12
That's Cushmans. They're good, though owned by Harry & Davids now. Was a family operated operation for decades in my home town.

Hale Groves is also good.

http://www.halegroves.com/
Posted By: boatme99 Re: Honeybells! Got 'em? - 01/13/12
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Never heard of em, are they like the Aurora Borealis...?

You nailed it! Yep, like the Aurora Boreallis.
A shame Cushmans sold out. I too used them for years. We'll see how it goes. I only got one mediocre batch from Cushmans in years of buying. They made good immediatly. Let's hope H&D keeps up the service, though I kind of doubt they will.
© 24hourcampfire