Home
Drudge is loaded this morning on Gingrich lambasting Reagan in the 80's....and I heard Tom Delay on a Houston radio program yesterday saying Gingrich isn't conservative, and mentioned several flaws in Newt's management capabilities. That the man to support is Santorum.

I think things are going to get a lot nastier. Coulter is a good example.
notice that the GOP candidate that appears to be 'leading' at the time, is the one on which the MSM suddenly opens the flood gates of exposure?
If Newt said all these things in the past, why is it just now, at this precise moment, 'newsworthy'?
The liberals and their running dog media lackeys are just doing another hit job on a Republican.
Sam, it ain't just the left. Coulter recently (tore him up!) and The Hammer yesterday in Houston was not favorable to Newt.

At all.
The more they hammer him the more I think he's our best chance. The establishment politicians of both parties have had this race picked since 2008, and the Tea Party and their sympathizers have totally screwed up the status qua in Washington to the point that I believe there is real fear in that someone is going to upset their gravy train.

Personally I want someone in that seat that is enough of an azzhole with a chip on his shoulder NOT to play the normal political games that got us here. Newt IMO is the only one left who fits that mold. We have got to break this cycle.
Delay said yesterday that Newt believes in global warming.....I have a great deal of respect for Coulter and Delay.

I haven't endorsed anyone yet.
Originally Posted by bbassi
The more they hammer him the more I think he's our best chance. The establishment politicians of both parties have had this race picked since 2008, and the Tea Party and their sympathizers have totally screwed up the status qua in Washington to the point that I believe there is real fear in that someone is going to upset their gravy train.

Personally I want someone in that seat that is enough of an azzhole with a chip on his shoulder NOT to play the normal political games that got us here. Newt IMO is the only one left who fits that mold. We have got to break this cycle.

I'm in agreement with you on this. I find it really intresting that everytime Newt gains a little bit in the polls, they go to squealing like a stuck hog. I'm thinking if it upsets them it's a good thing! I don't want any more John McCain style "Extend a Hand across the Aisle".
Originally Posted by Stan V
Delay said yesterday that Newt believes in global warming.....I have a great deal of respect for Coulter and Delay.

I haven't endorsed anyone yet.

Coulter also said she was going to vote for Hillary over McCain.
None of the candidates are good enough for her either.
If the MSM is attacking a candidate, that's prolly the one that the present admin doesn't want to run against, IMO
Coulter is a nut. I can barely stand to listen to her anymore. We have some problems ahead in this election I am afraid. Something better gel soon.
I do believe we're going to hear from a lot of conservatives that Newt has torn his pants about Reagan.....and he's been living off his Reagan like positions.
Anybody that Ann Coulter hates just can't be all bad.
They were having fun with it on Morning Joke this morning. Barnicle was literally sputtering. Funny!
It's a sad day when the opinion of conservative talk show hosts and MSM anchors and guests supercede the intelligence of a educated voter.

The television and Internet opinions of others shouldn't be a substitute for our own thorough vetting of the candidates.

Newt and Mitt are virtually tied going into Florida. Whomever performs best in tonight's debate will likely win Florida's primary,imo. Another down to the last minute,late decider vote will select the primary victor in Florida,imo.
Originally Posted by curdog4570

I disagree with her about Romney and Christie!
Coulter's paramount goal is having Obama removed from office. She simply believes Romney is the one who can garner the voting demographic factions necessary to do so.
Originally Posted by isaac
It's a sad day when the opinion of conservative talk show hosts and MSM anchors and guests supercede the intelligence of a educated voter.

The television and Internet opinions of others shouldn't be a substitute for our own thorough vetting of the candidates.

Newt and Mitt are virtually tied going into Florida. Whomever performs best in tonight's debate will likely win Florida's primary,imo. Another down to the last minute,late decider vote will select the primary victor in Florida,imo.

Tom Delay and Dick Armey aren't talk show hosts. Now, maybe everyone will hug and kiss after the primary but right now a bunch of conservatives are all over Newt about his liberal bent.
Now, maybe everyone will hug and kiss after the primary but right now a bunch of conservatives are all over Newt about his liberal bent.

And,as you know,there are many who express the same sentiment against Romney.

Like I opined,I simply think it will come down to who shines this evening.
Coulter's paramount goal is having Obama removed from office. She simply believes Romney is the one who can garner the voting demographic factions necessary to do so.

Rush doesn't.

I'd love to hear a conversation between Coulter and Rush about Newt/Romney!
She's gotta protect her prediction,doesn't she?
The bitch's support for Romney will likely hurt him more than help him.I'd rather be in Newt's shoes with Pelosi gunning for me than in Romney's with Coulter and Christie supporting me.
Interesting huh?
Did she say if we didn't nominate Christie, Romney would be the nominee and we'd lose?
Yes.

Liberal bent? Maybe less conservative than Reagan, but I don't know about calling it that....It was no secret that Reagan wasn't loved by all Republicans in the legislature back then.
I'm obliged to you for sharing that with those of us not in the club.All we get of Pat's post is a little red X.

grin grin
Originally Posted by Steven_CO

Liberal bent? Maybe less conservative than Reagan, but I don't know about calling it that....It was no secret that Reagan wasn't loved by all Republicans in the legislature back then.

Yea, a RINO wouldn't feel the love for Reagan.

Yea, a RINO wouldn't feel the love for Reagan.

Yep.
Reagan implemented many policies that would label him a RINO or liberal by many members on the 24H.
Reagan implemented many policies that would label him a RINO or liberal by many members on the 24H.

I was going to go there, but sort of decided against.
[quote=isaac]Reagan implemented many policies that would label him a RINO or liberal by many members on the 24H.

RINO has a broad def'n, here. But, all that aside, a lot of the politicians in Reagan's era were covering themselves in case he fell flat on his face.
Rasmussen reporting that Romney has an 8pt edge over Newt in Fla.
Gallup has Gingrich up by 3. Just watch tonight's debate. The one who outperforms the other will be Forida's winner,just like SC.
I have come to the conclusion that Newt is a con man. I think this quote from Delay sums it up.

�He�s not really a conservative. I mean, he�ll tell you what you want to hear. He has an uncanny ability, sort of like Clinton, to feel your pain and know his audience and speak to his audience and fire them up. But when he was speaker, he was erratic, undisciplined.�

And I don't believe that in the general he would be able to overcome his high negatives. There are too many voters that he would need who flat out hate him.

That's not unbelievable given the number of NE folks retiring down there. I still think Newt's going to win though.
Gallup has Gingrich ahead (barely).

This morning? Last night it seemed that I was reading they were even.
The man has been quite open about his support for carbon taxes to stop "man-made global warming," his overflowing love for FDR, a desire to replace the US Constitution because it's out of date, etc. That's no kind of conservative in my book. He's a radical leftist masquerading as a conservative.
After tonight's debate,those numbers will change again.
He did not say he wished to replace the constitution. Do you do any research of the facts on your own or do you always just say what you're told to say?
After tonight's debate,those numbers will change again.

Yea, I think the debate tonight determines Fla....could get bitter.

I wouldn't even guess who's poll today is more credible, it doesn't matter.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rasmussen

After his game-changing win in South Carolina, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich continues to ride his surge to the front of the pack among likely Republican primary voters nationwide. He now leads Mitt Romney by seven points.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely GOP Primary Voters shows Gingrich with 35% of the vote, representing an eight-point increase in support from last week. Former Massachusetts Governor Romney now draws 28%. Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum�s support is little changed at 16%, while Texas Congressman Ron Paul picks up 10%.

Just two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate in the race, while nine percent (9%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

A week ago, it was Romney 30%, Gingrich 27%, Santorum 15% and Paul 13%. Texas Governor Rick Perry who has since dropped out of the race and endorsed Gingrich earned four percent (4%) in that survey.

Support for Gingrich has jumped a total of 19 points in two surveys since early January, while Romney's support has held steady in that same period. Gingrich's highest level of national support to date, however, came in late November when he captured 38% of the vote after receiving less than 15% in prior surveys. This came following businessman Herman Cain's decision to quit the race as conservative Republicans looked for an alternative to the more moderate Romney.It is worth noting that 41% of GOP voters nationwide are certain of their vote at this time, but 50% could still change their mind between now and their primary. Santorum�s supporters are the most likely to say they could still change their minds at some point.

Romney held a 22-point lead over Gingrich in Florida two weeks ago, but new Rasmussen Reports polling released Monday shows the former speaker with 41% support now among likely GOP primary voters in the Sunshine State with Romney in second at 32%. The Florida Primary is on January 31.

Thirty-nine percent (39%) of GOP voters nationwide now believe Gingrich would be the strongest opponent against President Obama in the general election, while 37% say that of Romney. This represents a big shift from last week, when 43% viewed Romney as the strongest Obama opponent and 29% said the same of Gingrich. Sixty-two percent (62%) consider Paul the weakest general election opponent to Obama.

Last week, 70%, regardless of whom they support, said Romney would ultimately be the party�s nominee. Now just 51% share that view, with 32% who think Gingrich will be the eventual nominee, up from 13% in the previous survey.

Among Republican primary voters nationwide, 35% think Romney is the GOP candidate who would do a better job managing the economy, but almost as many (32%) feel Gingrich would do the better job. When it comes to national security and defense, Gingrich is the clear leader: 51% think he would do a better job versus 18% who say the same of Romney. As for which candidate is best in terms of social issues, 28% prefer Gingrich, 25% Santorum and 23% Romney.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The national survey of 1,000 Likely Republican Primary Voters was conducted on January 23, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Tea Party, Very Conservative and Evangelical Christian voters were critical to Gingrich�s big win in South Carolina. Among Tea Party voters nationally, he leads with 52% support, followed by Santorum at 20%, Romney at 16% and Paul at eight percent (8%). Romney leads Gingrich 36% to 26% among those who are not members of the grassroots movement.

Similarly, among Very Conservative GOP voters nationally, it�s Gingrich 49%, Santorum 21%, Romney 16% and Paul seven percent (7%). Somewhat conservative voters give Romney 33%, Gingrich 32%, Santorum 17% and Paul nine percent (9%).

Among Evangelical Christians, Gingrich leads with 43% of the vote, while Santorum picks up 19% and Romney 17%. Protestants and Catholics are evenly divided between Romney and Gingrich, while voters of all other faiths give the edge to Romney.

Romney is viewed favorably by 68% of GOP primary voters nationwide, while Gingrich is seen that way by 64%. Sixty-four percent (64%) also have a favorable opinion of Santorum, while just 35% view Paul that way.

Seventy-one percent (71%) of all Republican primary voters nationally say they are voting primarily for their favorite candidate. Twenty percent (20%) say they are voting against one of the other candidates.

Seventy-nine percent (79%) of all Republican primary voters say they will vote for the GOP candidate even if their favorite doesn�t win the nomination. Eight percent (8%) will opt for Obama instead, while six percent (6%) would vote for a third-party candidate. Paul�s campaign announced he has ruled out a third-party run, but his supporters remain by far the most willing to vote third party.

Originally Posted by Southerntier8
I have come to the conclusion that Newt is a con man. I think this quote from Delay sums it up.

�He�s not really a conservative. I mean, he�ll tell you what you want to hear. He has an uncanny ability, sort of like Clinton, to feel your pain and know his audience and speak to his audience and fire them up. But when he was speaker, he was erratic, undisciplined.�

And I don't believe that in the general he would be able to overcome his high negatives. There are too many voters that he would need who flat out hate him.

You caught the Michael Berry show yesterday?

Yep.The domestic independent oil producer became nearly extinct on his watch.I ain't saying he caused oil to go from $40 to $10 , but he watched it happen.

Nevertheless,I voted for him both times he ran and then voted for Bush to replace him.

But I'm a 2A voter.Not many of us left.
Seventy-nine percent (79%) of all Republican primary voters say they will vote for the GOP candidate even if their favorite doesn�t win the nomination.
===========

That number will be greater after we select a candidate.
Newt will have the Pope pizzed off by November or sooner and his surge will be in the dumpster.His mouth will continue to overload his azz that's why his national numbers suck!He has ZERO chance of ever moving into the White House,you can put that in the bank!
Thirty-nine percent (39%) of GOP voters nationwide now believe Gingrich would be the strongest opponent against President Obama in the general election, while 37% say that of Romney. This represents a big shift from last week, when 43% viewed Romney as the strongest Obama opponent and 29% said the same of Gingrich. Sixty-two percent (62%) consider Paul the weakest general election opponent to Obama.

Last week, 70%, regardless of whom they support, said Romney would ultimately be the party�s nominee. Now just 51% share that view, with 32% who think Gingrich will be the eventual nominee, up from 13% in the previous survey.

Among Republican primary voters nationwide, 35% think Romney is the GOP candidate who would do a better job managing the economy, but almost as many (32%) feel Gingrich would do the better job. When it comes to national security and defense, Gingrich is the clear leader: 51% think he would do a better job versus 18% who say the same of Romney. As for which candidate is best in terms of social issues, 28% prefer Gingrich, 25% Santorum and 23% Romney.

Originally Posted by ltppowell

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Rasmussen

After his game-changing win in South Carolina, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich continues to ride his surge to the front of the pack among likely Republican primary voters nationwide. He now leads Mitt Romney by seven points.

The latest Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey of Likely GOP Primary Voters shows Gingrich with 35% of the vote, representing an eight-point increase in support from last week. Former Massachusetts Governor Romney now draws 28%. Former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum�s support is little changed at 16%, while Texas Congressman Ron Paul picks up 10%.

Just two percent (2%) prefer some other candidate in the race, while nine percent (9%) are undecided. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

A week ago, it was Romney 30%, Gingrich 27%, Santorum 15% and Paul 13%. Texas Governor Rick Perry who has since dropped out of the race and endorsed Gingrich earned four percent (4%) in that survey.

Support for Gingrich has jumped a total of 19 points in two surveys since early January, while Romney's support has held steady in that same period. Gingrich's highest level of national support to date, however, came in late November when he captured 38% of the vote after receiving less than 15% in prior surveys. This came following businessman Herman Cain's decision to quit the race as conservative Republicans looked for an alternative to the more moderate Romney.It is worth noting that 41% of GOP voters nationwide are certain of their vote at this time, but 50% could still change their mind between now and their primary. Santorum�s supporters are the most likely to say they could still change their minds at some point.

Romney held a 22-point lead over Gingrich in Florida two weeks ago, but new Rasmussen Reports polling released Monday shows the former speaker with 41% support now among likely GOP primary voters in the Sunshine State with Romney in second at 32%. The Florida Primary is on January 31.

(Want a free daily e-mail update? If it's in the news, it's in our polls). Rasmussen Reports updates are also available on Twitter or Facebook.

The national survey of 1,000 Likely Republican Primary Voters was conducted on January 23, 2012 by Rasmussen Reports. The margin of sampling error is +/- 3 percentage points with a 95% level of confidence. Field work for all Rasmussen Reports surveys is conducted by Pulse Opinion Research, LLC. See methodology.

Tea Party, Very Conservative and Evangelical Christian voters were critical to Gingrich�s big win in South Carolina. Among Tea Party voters nationally, he leads with 52% support, followed by Santorum at 20%, Romney at 16% and Paul at eight percent (8%). Romney leads Gingrich 36% to 26% among those who are not members of the grassroots movement.

Similarly, among Very Conservative GOP voters nationally, it�s Gingrich 49%, Santorum 21%, Romney 16% and Paul seven percent (7%). Somewhat conservative voters give Romney 33%, Gingrich 32%, Santorum 17% and Paul nine percent (9%).

Among Evangelical Christians, Gingrich leads with 43% of the vote, while Santorum picks up 19% and Romney 17%. Protestants and Catholics are evenly divided between Romney and Gingrich, while voters of all other faiths give the edge to Romney.

Romney is viewed favorably by 68% of GOP primary voters nationwide, while Gingrich is seen that way by 64%. Sixty-four percent (64%) also have a favorable opinion of Santorum, while just 35% view Paul that way.

Seventy-one percent (71%) of all Republican primary voters nationally say they are voting primarily for their favorite candidate. Twenty percent (20%) say they are voting against one of the other candidates.

Seventy-nine percent (79%) of all Republican primary voters say they will vote for the GOP candidate even if their favorite doesn�t win the nomination. Eight percent (8%) will opt for Obama instead, while six percent (6%) would vote for a third-party candidate. Paul�s campaign announced he has ruled out a third-party run, but his supporters remain by far the most willing to vote third party.

FOX had Rasmussen on just a few minutes ago and I'm sure I heard the poll had swung in Romney's favor....

Edited: today's poll, huge swing.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com//
He did not say he wished to replace the constitution. Do you do any research of the facts on your own or do you always just say what you're told to say?
Not in so many words, but he clearly communicated that this was his desire by consistent and glowing advocacy for Alvin Toffler's books calling for same, even writing the forward for one of them.

[Linked Image]
These poll numbers change like the snow on my driveway..if he continues to pick on Ronnie he won't even be a blip on the political radar.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Not in so many words, but he clearly communicated that this was his desire by consistent and glowing advocacy for Alvin Toffler's books calling for same, even writing the forward for one of them.

[Linked Image]
Sounds like the Robert Urich character from Amerika.
If you look at Gingrichs tax plan, it total crap.
Zero % Capitol gains? Really?
Romney was almost laughing at him in the last debate.
How is Gingrich going to get that done????
Not a fan of house members or senators for POTUS.To much pie in the sky bullchit talk...ie see paultard...Gingrichs latest is a moon base.Like we need a moonbase.
Give me the Fiscal Discipline of a Governor having to meet a budget.
I like watching Gingrich in a debate.
I dont think anyone can best him.
But he turns off independants, center right and middle voters and women.
He ought to be bitch slapped for sitting next to the dingbat on the park bench on global warming.
And people call Romney a flipflopper.
The poles I've seen show him getting beat by the raghead.
To irratic to suit me.But I'd vote for him over the raghead.
Not to sure many others would.

dave
A nice summation...

'Stop-Newt' Republicans Confront Base Unwilling to Take Orders

Jan. 26 (Bloomberg) -- Two days after Newt Gingrich defeated Mitt Romney in the South Carolina presidential primary one of Romney's big-name backers offered a grim prediction for his fellow Republicans.

"The possibility of Newt Gingrich being our nominee against Barack Obama I think is essentially handing the election over to Obama," former Minnesota Governor Tim Pawlenty told reporters on a Jan. 23 conference call. "I think that's shared by a lot of folks in the Republican Party."

Pawlenty's comments echoed those being uttered publicly and behind the scenes by elected Republicans, party activists, fundraisers and pundits, who represent a portion of the party establishment -- a "stop-Newt" caucus -- populated largely by people who have known the former U.S. House speaker for decades.

The question is: Can they?

For two decades, the Republican Party has seen an erosion of its traditional, top-down hierarchy, a decline aided by Gingrich himself in 1990 when he led a House revolt against a budget agreement negotiated by President George H.W. Bush that raised taxes. The rise of the anti-tax Tea Party wing in 2009 splintered the internal levers of power further, making it even harder to impose a choice on the rank-and file.

"There really is no Republican establishment left that can control anything," said Matthew Dowd, a onetime aide to President George W. Bush and now a Bloomberg Television contributor. "Some try to act like they are in charge, but the fraternity is now running the campus."

South Carolina Dynamics

Those dynamics were on display in South Carolina. Romney, a former Massachusetts governor, lost by 12 percentage points even after campaigning throughout the state with Governor Nikki Haley and just a day after receiving the endorsement of Virginia Governor Bob McDonnell, the chairman of the Republican Governors Association. Haley, who rose to power with Tea Party backing, didn't deliver either her state or its grassroots activists.

Meanwhile, Gingrich's campaign gained momentum after Sarah Palin, the former Alaska governor who also has support from the Tea Party faction, said she'd vote for Gingrich in South Carolina if only to extend the length of the primary.

Similar signs of an insurgence came to light in the 2010 midterm elections, when Nevada voters tapped Sharron Angle -- a Tea Party-endorsed politician opposed by many of the state's prominent Republicans -- to challenge Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid. And Delaware Republicans chose Christine O'Donnell over former governor and nine-term U.S. House Representative Mike Castle to seek an open Senate seat. Both Angle and O'Donnell lost.

'Voters in Charge'

"The voters are now in charge, and Republican leaders need to come to terms with that," Dowd said. "The media needs to drop the myth that there is a Republican establishment capable of orchestrating anything more than a one-float GOP parade."

Romney's campaign, backed by well-known party strategists and fundraisers, has kept up a steady rollout of endorsement announcements from Republican elected leaders that demonstrate his broad support among the insiders. As of Jan. 20, he had the nods of five governors, 14 senators and 59 U.S. House members. That compares with two governors and a dozen congressmen who have endorsed Gingrich, according to Democracy in Action, a political web site that tracks endorsements.

'Terrified About Newt'

"There are a lot of major players in the Republican Party who are terrified about Newt," said Gary Gerstle, a specialist on social and political movements a Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee. "At a more conventional moment in American politics, the establishment would count for a lot more, but this is not a conventional moment. There are now big segments of the Republican Party that will not bow down to the establishment."

Gingrich -- who served 20 years in Congress, four of them as speaker, and then began a lucrative career in Washington consulting on federal policy -- has been working to turn party leaders' angst about his candidacy to his advantage, portraying himself as a candidate feared by the ruling class.

In a Jan. 24 message to supporters, he wrote, "The establishment is right to be worried about a Gingrich nomination because a Gingrich nomination means that we're going to change things."

The Romney-Gingrich face-off is bringing the simmering power struggle between the Republican grassroots and the party establishment to the fore, said Richard Viguerie, a veteran Republican direct-mail strategist and the chairman of ConservativeHQ.com.

Internal Power Struggle

"There is a war going on here between the grassroots and the establishment," said Viguerie, who is backing former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum. "People in the grassroots see the Republican establishment as part of the problem, not part of the solution, and Gingrich has the ability to go over the heads of the Republican leaders."

At the root of the concern about Gingrich is whether he will be able to appeal to the broader U.S. electorate. Polls indicate that he has high unfavorability ratings and wouldn't fare well in a head-to-head matchup against Obama. A January Gallup study found that all national political figures are viewed negatively. Still, "Americans have become more intensely negative in their evaluations of Newt Gingrich -- who now has the lowest score overall," the study concluded.

Independent Voter Turn-off

Gingrich's branding of Obama as a "food stamp president," for example, may not play well with independent voters, whom a Republican nominee would have to win over to have a chance of ousting the president.

Some prominent Republicans say there's not yet enough of a consensus that Gingrich is unelectable to give rise to a concerted effort among party operatives to thwart his ascent.

"I haven't seen that there's an all-hands-on-deck movement to try to block any candidate -- Newt or anyone else," said Frank Donatelli, the chairman of GOPAC, a training organization for state and local Republican candidates once headed by Gingrich, and a former top party official.

The last time there was such an effort was in 1996, he added, after Pat Buchanan won the New Hampshire primary and prominent Republicans quickly coalesced around Bob Dole, who ultimately claimed the nomination.

"I haven't heard that kind of alarm emanating about Newt," Donatelli said.

Former Pennsylvania Congressman Bob Walker, a senior adviser to Gingrich's campaign, said each time Romney rolls out a new endorsement or dispatches a one-time colleague to criticize Gingrich's record, it bolsters the former speaker's argument to voters that he's their ally against a party machine that doesn't care about them.

"It took them a little bit of time to realize that Newt Gingrich is capable of beating Obama, but now, I don't think that they're going to listen to party bosses anymore," Walker said. "Newt is basically channeling the people's anger."

Originally Posted by curdog4570

I disagree with her about Romney and Christie!

And how about her becoming the darling of the gay segment of the R party? And she was for Christie!!! That says a lot right there.
People, we need to forget about these damn polls and trying to vote for the winner. Vote for the man that you think fits you best and let him become the winner, or not, and then in November, vote against the Muslim. miles

Vote for the man who has a decent chance of beating BHO.

I'm thinking that if The Newt is nominated he could go down in a Goldwater style landslide.

I like him but don't at all like his chances in the Big One.

I have endorsed Romney and re-affirm that endorsement.

So no different than any of the other candidates or what we currently have in Washington.
I can't stand Romney, but will vote for him if he is there in November. miles
Newt�s 1986 criticisms of Reagan were in large part a concern that we could still lose the Cold War with the Soviets.

In 1986 Reagan still had to deal with Tip O�Neill who was the longest-serving liberal Speaker of the House.

January 25, National Review/Drudge Report:
Gingrich and Reagan
In the 1980s, the candidate repeatedly insulted the president.
By Elliott Abrams

The best examples come from a famous floor statement Gingrich made on March 21, 1986.
This was right in the middle of the fight over funding for the Nicaraguan contras; the money had been cut off by Congress in 1985, though Reagan got $100 million for this cause in 1986.

Here is Gingrich: �Measured against the scale and momentum of the Soviet empire�s challenge, the Reagan administration has failed, is failing, and without a dramatic change in strategy will continue to fail. . . . President Reagan is clearly failing.� Why? This was due partly to �his administration�s weak policies, which are inadequate and will ultimately fail�; partly to CIA, State, and Defense, which �have no strategies to defeat the empire.� But of course �the burden of this failure frankly must be placed first on President Reagan.� Our efforts against the Communists in the Third World were �pathetically incompetent,� so those anti-Communist members of Congress who questioned the $100 million Reagan sought for the Nicaraguan �contra� rebels �are fundamentally right.� Such was Gingrich�s faith in President Reagan that in 1985, he called Reagan�s meeting with Soviet leader Mikhail Gorbachev �the most dangerous summit for the West since Adolf Hitler met with Neville Chamberlain in 1938 in Munich.�
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

So no different than any of the other candidates or what we currently have in Washington.

I'm not so sure about that. I had the pleasure of spending a little time with one of our U.S. senators last week, and when I said "Go Newt" to him it looked like I threw a snake on him.
Originally Posted by Spanokopitas

I'm thinking that if The Newt is nominated he could go down in a Goldwater style landslide.

Kinda where I am.

dave
Newt would have as much chance getting zero % Capitol gains as paultard would with all his liberty blather.
dave
You can't compare Obama to LBJ's re-election. LBJ hadn't done anything yet at the point...only succeeded Kennedy for a short while. When Johnson did act like Obama (once officially elected), he was hated, and didn't stand a chance of getting re-elected. Obama won't be either.
Originally Posted by dave7mm
Newt would have as much chance getting zero % Capitol gains as paultard would with all his liberty blather.
dave

====================

He may not get zero but he'll do better than 15%. You seem to forget that both Houses will most likely be favoring the GOP side and with the Tea-Party and fiscal conservative factions,it will be pro-business and investment.

You caught the Michael Berry show yesterday?

No. I've never heard of Michael Berry.
Sam, it ain't just the left. Coulter recently (tore him up!) and The Hammer yesterday in Houston was not favorable to Newt.

At all.

Beck was ripping on Newt this morning for his Telemundo interview, in which he sounded like a representative for La Raza, was ass kissing the "reporter", and then was shocked when the reporter called him a hypocrite. an embarrassingly bad performance.

and how come Rick Perry got run out of town for being soft on immigration, but Newt came off to the left of Obama on immigration and that's still OK?

he also did the class warfare thing again where he sounds more commie than Obama. having trouble understanding the sudden love for this guy, except as a reflection of the distrust many feel for Romney.

Newt is most likely more liberal than the present administration and that is a "BAD THING" for those of you that can't figure it out
Newt is most likely more liberal than the present administration

I must call BS on that. miles

Also my paramount goal.

I can't seem to make certain imbeciles understand that neither Mitt nor Newt are the enemy. It is Obama.
how come Rick Perry got run out of town for being soft on immigration, but Newt came off to the left of Obama on immigration and that's still OK?
Now thats funny grin

There is no doubt that the onslaught on Gingrich, from the Republican Party, has begun today. Mass media barrages from "conservative" sources are comparing him to Clinton, calling him "mentally unstable", etc.
I guess when you give somebody money, you'll do whatever it takes to get rid of the competition, but there are a few things that will be hard for conservatives to just "wash away".

Originally Posted by Steve_NO

At all.

Beck was ripping on Newt this morning for his Telemundo interview, in which he sounded like a representative for La Raza, was ass kissing the "reporter", and then was shocked when the reporter called him a hypocrite. an embarrassingly bad performance.

and how come Rick Perry got run out of town for being soft on immigration, but Newt came off to the left of Obama on immigration and that's still OK?

he also did the class warfare thing again where he sounds more commie than Obama. having trouble understanding the sudden love for this guy, except as a reflection of the distrust many feel for Romney.

It's not just a mistrust of Romney. Americans don't take well to being told who they have to vote for.
Michael Reagan is being interviewed on Fox in a few minutes to address his father's relationship with Newt. Newt told folks earlier this week to speak with Mike Reagan if they had doubts about his relationship with RR. Fox took him up on it.

Have no idea what the outcome might be.
Romney has the most to lose should Newt take Florida. Hence,the double-barrel shotgunning today going into this evening and the weekend.

If Newt smokes Romney tonight and takes Florida,someone get ready for some fat broad to start singing a famous Don Meredith jingle.
Hammer the hell out of G & R, the last one standing is IT, period.
I suppose I'd be pulling out all the stops too, if I were the Goldman Sach's type.

Gingrich unloads on Romney, ads, in Florida speech
By BRIAN BAKST, Associated Press � 37 minutes ago

MOUNT DORA, Fla. (AP) � Newt Gingrich on Thursday dramatically ramped up his attacks on Mitt Romney, saying the former Massachusetts governor is guilty of lies, desperation and hypocrisy that should make "every American angry."

Gingrich, the former House speaker, said he was infuriated by a barrage of attack ads that are blistering him on Florida TV stations ahead of Tuesday's GOP presidential primary. Most are funded by an outside organization backing Romney, but some are from Romney's own campaign. Unable to match Romney's money machine, Gingrich implored Florida Republicans to punish his chief rival for what Gingrich called callously dishonest ads.

"This is the desperate last stand of the old order," Gingrich told an outdoor crowd of more than 1,000 northwest of Orlando. "This is the kind of gall they have to think we're so stupid and we're so timid."

The nature and volume of the attack ads are similar to those that badly damaged Gingrich in Iowa a month ago.

"I think all the weight of his negative advertising and all the weight of his dishonesty has hurt us some," Gingrich said. But "I am not going to allow the moneyed interests that are buying those ads to come in here and to come into other states to misinform people and then to think we are too dumb to fight back."

Romney steered clear of his rival during a subsequent campaign appearance.

Gingrich later told reporters he decided to sharpen his criticisms after Romney's tax returns showed investments held in Cayman Island accounts, the government-backed mortgage company Freddie Mac and other entities.

"Here's a guy who owns Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae stock," Gingrich said. "He owns a Goldman Sachs subsidiary, which is foreclosing on Floridians. And on that front he decides to lie about my career? There's something about the hypocrisy that should make every American angry."

Romney has been hammering Gingrich for consulting work he performed for Freddie Mac and telling Florida voters that Gingrich was paid by a company that contributed to the state's poor housing market.

The acerbic remarks came three days after Gingrich took a much more moderate tone in a televised debate in Tampa, when Romney sharpened his own attacks. Gingrich strongly hinted he will be more aggressive in a CNN debate scheduled for Thursday night in Jacksonville.

Romney, meanwhile, toured a Jacksonville factory that is closing because of the economy before he addressed several hundred people gathered outside. He acknowledged that the live audience at Thursday's debate may be fairly raucous, a dynamic that seems to favor Gingrich and his populist, us-against-the-media and us-against-the-establishment style.

"There may be some give and take," Romney said. "That's always fun and entertaining, I know. If you all could get there, we'd love to see you all there cheering."

In his remarks, Romney criticized President Barack Obama and steered clear of Gingrich. He called Obama's administration a "Groundhog Day" presidency in which nothing gets better.

Polls suggest the Florida primary is close, coming 10 days after Gingrich beat Romney by 12 percentage points in South Carolina. Asked if he felt Florida was slipping toward Romney, Gingrich said, "I feel that it's useful for people to look at the totality of his record and ask yourself, 'How can a guy who literally owns stock in a Goldman Sachs investment fund that forecloses on Floridians run the ads he's been running?'"

Goldman Sachs employees and their families contributed $367,200 to Romney's campaign through Sept. 30, his largest source of campaign contributions, according to the Center for Responsive Politics.

Former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum and Texas Rep. Ron Paul also were participating in Thursday's debate, the final one before the GOP presidential primary in Florida on Tuesday. But both candidates have set their sights elsewhere and have largely stayed away from the Romney-Gingrich drama.

Whoever wins Florida will score something no one has yet claimed in a tumultuous primary season: a second victory. The first three contests have been won by three different candidates. Only Paul has yet to score a win.

The hits for Romney and Gingrich were coming from many directions.

The "super" political action committees backing them have spent more than $10 million combined on ads to date in Florida, far more than their respective campaigns. The Romney-leaning Restore Our Future has spent $8.8 million in ads as of late Tuesday, bringing to $14 million the total spent on ads supporting Romney in the state. That doesn't include money already spent on radio and Internet advertising.

As of late Tuesday, the Gingrich-backing Winning Our Future had booked $1.8 million in television ads in Florida, a check made possible by a new donation from Miriam Adelson. She and her husband, Sheldon, this month gave $5 million apiece to the group, which supports Gingrich but legally must remain independent.

Santorum, meanwhile, seemed to be recognizing that he stood almost no chance of winning Florida. He and his advisers planned no advertising in the state and instead were focused on raising money and calling potential supporters in upcoming states. He all but gave up trying to woo a network of pastors and was scaling back his schedule in Florida.

Chuck Laudner, an influential adviser who helped Santorum score an upset victory in the Iowa caucuses, was returning to the Midwest to start piecing together coalitions in Missouri and Minnesota. Both states have media markets that overlap with Iowa, where Santorum proved to be the big story.

Paul, virtually absent from Florida except for appearances built around the debates, was concentrating instead on caucus states where his loyal backers can carry a louder voice.

Michael Reagan is being interviewed on Fox in a few minutes to address his father's relationship with Newt. Newt told folks earlier this week to speak with Mike Reagan if they had doubts about his relationship with RR. Fox took him up on it.

Since we're not a monarchy, I really don't care what a deceased president's children think about current politicians, or their recollections of what their daddy said thirty years ago about somebody.

Newt said what he said about Reagan, that's a matter of record. Newt is and always has been in this thing for Newt, not for Reagan or anybody else. Just Newt.
Gingrich or Romney...what a sad sad joke...

Michael Reagan just told Megyn that sausage making is not a pretty process.

It is the end results that count.

Like President Reagan and the Cold War.

Speaker Gingrich and all that he accomplished.

Since we're not a monarchy, I really don't care what a deceased president's children think about current politicians, or their recollections of what their daddy said thirty years ago about somebody.

Newt said what he said about Reagan, that's a matter of record. Newt is and always has been in this thing for Newt, not for Reagan or anybody else. Just Newt.
Sounds about like all the guys on that stage....
Santorum just told Megyn that he is going home after tonight�s debate.

But not dropping out of the race.

Seems that Paul is doing the same thing.
Michael Reagan and Rush both defending Newt. How could any conservative vote for a guy that voted for Carter and then Mondale against Reagan??!! Then supported Paul Tsongas. That would be Mitt. We just don't need another wimpy azz candidate.
Rush comes on at 1:00 PM in Grants Pass. In his opening monolog he said Nancy Reagan and Michael Reagan are endorcing Neut. He said Neut was one of Reagan's best suporters.
It boils down to money. A lot of people have invested a LOT of money in Romney and they will do anything to see their guy win. That's just the way it is. You can't blame them either, they had to make a call, and they did.

Unfortunately for them, the average Joe will vote for the person that they will benefit from most without that kind of investment.
Newt is and always has been in this thing for Newt, not for Reagan or anybody else. Just Newt.

Steve, I think to some extent, that's what voters like about him. He doesn't seem the type that would have to call the NAACP or Goldman Sachs before making a decision. I can also see why that would make the GOP consider him dangerous.

Newt gives the term "loose cannon" new meaning.

Did he really say we ought to colonize the Moon and make it a state? Tell me he didn't.

Did he really say we ought to colonize the Moon and make it a state? Tell me he didn't.

ah come on. drop the attachment to the status quo. where's your sense of adventure, your sense of excitement?

wha't wrong with setting up a big observatory on the backside of the moon to better observe the universe?

are you stuck down here on the Urth with the descendents of the pyramid builders? grin
Yes he did. Romney agreed, but added that any aliens would have to self-deport when we moved in.
I do believe we're going to hear from a lot of conservatives that Newt has torn his pants about Reagan.....and he's been living off his Reagan like positions.

Can't see where a real Reagan conservative is a bad thing.
Yes he did. Romney agreed, but added that any aliens would have to self-deport when we moved in.

laugh

Vote for the man who has a decent chance of beating BHO.

I like him but don't at all like his chances in the Big One.

I have endorsed Romney and re-affirm that endorsement.

Did you miss the Reagan style landslide for Newt in South Carolina?

The total increase in Republican turnout in South Carolina from 2008 was greater than the entire Iowa turnout.

Exit polls showed that over 50 percent of the religious and fiscal conservatives supported the Tea Party.

I know that as we wait for tonight�s debate to unfold the Newt/Mitt polls are all over the place.

I suggest that the South Carolina vote is the best poll we got.

Until Tuesday night in Florida.

It boils down to money. A lot of people have invested a LOT of money in Romney and they will do anything to see their guy win. That's just the way it is. You can't blame them either, they had to make a call, and they did.

Unfortunately for them, the average Joe will vote for the person that they will benefit from most without that kind of investment.
Good observation. And money invested means influence, and that influence they purchased at great cost will disappear, making their huge investment a total loss, if he doesn't win it.

COCOA, Florida- Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich wants to set aside 10 percent of NASA's budget "for prizes" in space competitions. Gingrich discussed the space program Wednesday in Brevard County on Florida's Space Coast. He is campaigning ahead of the Jan. 31 Republican presidential primary.

"It is tragic to see what has happened" to the American space program, Gingrich told supporters at a rally. He professed "a deep passion" about space exploration dating back to the late 1950s.
Saying prizes inspire competitors to race to be first to make technological breakthroughs, Gingrich suggested $10 billion as a prize for a way to reach Mars quickly. That number would be considerably more than 10 percent of NASA's entire 2011 budget of about $18 billion.
Gingrich said his proposals "are going to make some in the NASA bureaucracy uncomfortable." He included the agency in a critique of bogged down federal bureaucracies he said take too long to make only limited progress.
"By the end of my second term," Gingrich said, "there will be the first permanent base on the moon and it will be American." Gingrich also promised to push for an energetic industry in low-earth orbit involving science, tourism and technology development.
Gingrich said he wants NASA launch facilities reworked to support "five or eight launches a day instead of one." And he said the Atlas V rocket should be "interchangeable" for use by both NASA and the Air Force instead of requiring modifications for each customer.

http://blog.al.com/space-news/2012/01/newt_gingrich_wants_10_percent.html
Newt is and always has been in this thing for Newt, not for Reagan or anybody else. Just Newt.

Steve, I think to some extent, that's what voters like about him. He doesn't seem the type that would have to call the NAACP or Goldman Sachs before making a decision. I can also see why that would make the GOP consider him dangerous.

the problem is so many of his decisions are disastrously stupid. and his statements are beyond stupid....that Telemundo interview literally sounded like any liberal democrat talking.

I mean, people say they don't trust Romney, that he just pretends to be conservative.....hell, Newt ain't even pretending, he sounds like a garden variety democrat pandering to the hispanic vote, and bashing rich folks as an added bonus. Maybe he didn't realize some non-Hispanics might watch and you-tube it.
[

Show me the part in Newt Gingrich�s 21st Century Contract with America that is all about Newt and just for Newt.

This is the Newt shorthand version:

Washington today must undertake five parallel policies designed to create jobs, put Americans back to work, rebuild the housing market and cut off inflation before it grows out of control:

1. Pass a powerful tax cut and regulatory reform package designed to launch a decade of job creation and economic growth;

2. Pass an American energy program that creates jobs here at home.
An American energy program would not just create jobs in the energy sector.
Lowering the cost of gasoline, heating oil, and electricity would stimulate job creation throughout the economy;

3. Repeal Obamacare before it does permanent damage to our health system and economy;

4. Bring the Federal Reserve under control by insisting on a sound dollar policy and by exposing and investigating the billions in secret deals the Fed used to shift money to giant foreign and American banks;

5. Cut spending decisively to create the fiscal space for a pro-growth economic policy.
As the Congress approaches the debt ceiling debate and other future confrontations with the Obama Administration, it must make sure job creation is the number one focus.
America only works when Americans are working.
That is the heart of our current crisis.

I mean, people say they don't trust Romney, that he just pretends to be conservative.....hell, Newt ain't even pretending, he sounds like a garden variety democrat pandering to the hispanic vote, and bashing rich folks as an added bonus. Maybe he didn't realize some non-Hispanics might watch and you-tube it.

Steve, "pretending" is the problem.
but Newt doesn't even pretend....I hate to agree with Beck, but the dude is a progressive and pretty much has been from the start.

the Contract was great....Newt didn't write it but he was instrumental in passing what got through. but thoughout, his mouth and his uncontrollable need to generate "grandiose" ideas led to more and more problems for him. even now, he is simply not a mature man....he is childish, petulant, lies pretty much reflexively, and spouts incredibly liberal BS on immigration and class warfare issues.

I would still vote for him...or a dead cat....over Obama, but people claiming he's some classic conservative are just not paying attention. Even to what he says today, much less his record.

google up the you tube of his telemundo interview, and gag.
dave

====================

He may not get zero but he'll do better than 15%. You seem to forget that both Houses will most likely be favoring the GOP side and with the Tea-Party and fiscal conservative factions,it will be pro-business and investment.

Arther Laugher supports Ginrich. Sounds good to me
he is childish, petulant, lies pretty much reflexively, and spouts incredibly liberal BS

Gingrich is the poster boy for the contemporary, mainstream Republican party.

Deal widdit.
... with all his liberty blather.
dave

Patrick Henry just threw up in his mouth a little.
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
dave

====================

Arther Laugher supports Ginrich. Sounds good to me

�I think if Newt is president, you are going to see economic growth beyond what you have ever seen,� said Art Laffer, in Storm Lake, Iowa.
�Newt really delivered,� said Laffer, �When he was speaker, he was able to work with Bill Clinton closely and carefully to bring one of the most prosperous periods in American history.�
the very best we can hope for is to elect someone who is a click or two to the right of the incumbent.

currently, we have choices. they include the Newt, the Mitt, the Sanctimonious Santorum, and the outlyer, the Dr. Paul Himself.

so, who are we going to choose to Elect in order to replace the Incumbent??
Pathetic.

Bob Dole, the same ass clown that joined Senate Democrats to kill the balanced budget amendment in the Senate, bashing Newt.

Tom Delay. Ann Coulter. etc., etc., etc.

This makes me want to puke. The sad part is, many so-called "conservatives" are falling for this horse-**** and falling right into the establishment's hands. They want Romney, because Romney will not change a damn thing.

Newt is being outspent 14-1 in Florida, and fading in the polls fast thanks to the onslaught.

His only prayer is a slam dunk performance tonight and enough Republicans pulling their heads out of their asses in order to see what's going on....they're being led like sheep to the slaughter.

Romney = status quo. Deficit spending, increasing debt, NO income tax relief for middle Americans, milquetoast moderate reform proposals that will of course be abandoned if the political winds blow that way.

Santorum will fade after tonight leaving only two viable candidates only one of which has any chance of beating BHO.

That candidate is Romney and that is why I have endorsed him.

Maybe if The Newt doesn't beat him up too much tonight he will get a cushy ambassadorship somewhere like maybe... Mars?
Originally Posted by FOsteology
Pathetic.

Bob Dole, the same ass clown that joined Senate Democrats to kill the balanced budget amendment in the Senate, bashing Newt.

Tom Delay. Ann Coulter. etc., etc., etc.

This makes me want to puke. The sad part is, many so-called "conservatives" are falling for this horse-**** and falling right into the establishment's hands. They want Romney, because Romney will not change a damn thing.

Newt is being outspent 14-1 in Florida, and fading in the polls fast thanks to the onslaught.

His only prayer is a slam dunk performance tonight and enough Republicans pulling their heads out of their asses in order to see what's going on....they're being led like sheep to the slaughter.

Romney = status quo. Deficit spending, increasing debt, NO income tax relief for middle Americans, milquetoast moderate reform proposals that will of course be abandoned if the political winds blow that way.

Don't diss The Hammer, bro! Something is going on with the blood letting, Newt should really look pasty white tonight. I'm not sold on him, or anyone else. Like any normal adult however (RPeeer's need not apply), I'd vote for RP against the One.
but Newt doesn't even pretend....I hate to agree with Beck, but the dude is a progressive and pretty much has been from the start.

the Contract was great....Newt didn't write it but he was instrumental in passing what got through. but thoughout, his mouth and his uncontrollable need to generate "grandiose" ideas led to more and more problems for him. even now, he is simply not a mature man....he is childish, petulant, lies pretty much reflexively, and spouts incredibly liberal BS on immigration and class warfare issues.

I would still vote for him...or a dead cat....over Obama, but people claiming he's some classic conservative are just not paying attention. Even to what he says today, much less his record.

google up the you tube of his telemundo interview, and gag.

I know...but you're not catching my drift. People would rather vote for a begger than a thief. It's the trust thing.
Originally Posted by ironbender
dave

paultard tells people looking for a crutch, just what they want to hear.
Kinda reminds me of hitler in the late 20s into the 30s.
Not to worrie.
Sonofpaultard will be next up at bat.
Same blather.
Apple dont fall far from the tree.

dave

Ironically, Dr. Paul is about the only one to utter the "L" word.

Can't figure why the notion is anathema to "conservatives".
Originally Posted by ironbender
dave

paultard tells people looking for a crutch, just what they want to hear.
Kinda reminds me of hitler in the late 20s into the 30s.
Not to worrie.
Sonofpaultard will be next up at bat.
Same blather.
Apple dont fall far from the tree.

dave

sorry, gotta disagree...ain't going to vote for him, but the best line of the night,"I'd ask him why he was calling".

I think the Good Doctor will finish in the top four in Florida, in fact I'd bet on it.

Any takers?
common sense is increasingly hard to come by...he might make the top four...you should check with your sheepeople...

I'm willing to give odds on big money he will finish in the top four. Place your money. I'm here for you.

My people are in agreement.
My gawd...you're a pretentious azzwhole. Night

Pretentious maybe, wrong not.

My people have done well.
Not about to read all 12 pages so advanced apologies if this is already been pointed out.

http://www.newsmax.com/InsideCover/.../26/id/425683?s=al&promo_code=E092-1

Video of Gingrich Bashing Reagan Was Edited To Be Misleading
Thursday, 26 Jan 2012 05:29 PM

By Martin Gould

Video supposedly showing Newt Gingrich bashing Reaganism just at the end of Ronald Reagan�s presidency was edited to put the then-up-an-coming congressman in a bad light, it has turned out.

The C-SPAN video, titled �Newt Gingrich bad-mouths Ronald Reagan in 1998� on YouTube, was part of a huge coordinated campaign against Gingrich that was launched on Thursday, five days ahead of the vital Florida primary.

But it cuts off before Gingrich explains what he means.

In the portion shown on YouTube, Gingrich talks about the Republican Party�s chances after Reagan leaves office. �On Election Day, the American people, given a choice of more of eight years or something new, will vote for something new,� he said.

But what the clip does not show is Gingrich�s rationale behind his statement, which shows he was not bashing Reaganism, but merely suggesting that then-Vice President George Bush needed to take it forward.

The entire clip, which was discovered by the website RiehlWorldView, shows Gingrich going on to say he wanted �A Republicanism of the '90s that builds on Reaganism, but goes beyond Reaganism.�

He continues, �This is the country where 'new' and 'improved' are the two most powerful words in advertising,� and says if the two candidates in the 1988 election had similar stances and were equally �pleasant� the Democrat would win simply because it would signify change.

That is why, Gingrich said, Bush needed to change direction slightly with what he said should be �broadly a center-right platform.�

�Reaganism, after all, is a values system which carried 49 states last time, fairly inclusive, I would suggest,� Gingrich continued. �It is more than just a personality issue as the vice president proved in his commitment to no tax increase which was the decisive issue for him in New Hampshire.�
It get's better,Geaux. Excellent article by one who was there,when Abrams was. It requires a thoughtful read so you'll need 15 minutes.

http://spectator.org/blog/2012/01/27/elliott-abrams-caught-misleadi
© 24hourcampfire