Home
You've probably heard of Corliss - one of best known nut cases to ever fly a wing suit. Some of his stunts are close to suicide. A few weeks ago, he tried one of his wild jumps off Table Mtn in South Africa. He tried too hard to skim some rocks and hit one at 120 mph. He broke both legs but was still able to deploy his chute and land. If he'd been only inches lower, he would have disemboweled himself. As it is, he's been in a hospital for weeks.
Here's a video taken by another jumper. CORLISS
Stupid is as stupid does. Not much else left to say.
Nearly? smile

I'd say he got bit, but not ate.
Corliss needs some sort of terrain following radar.
laugh
It's really shocking when someone like that gets hurt.
He had a black marker balloon where he hit. If that was his target to get just enough close, it was too low from what I saw.

Fascinating, but crazy stuff usually is.
Originally Posted by ironbender
He had a black marker balloon where he hit. If that was his target to get just enough close, it was too low from what I saw.

Fascinating, but crazy stuff usually is.

Ooops. You got me, Mike. I didn't watch the video!
blush laugh

And yeah, it does look fascinating- it reminds me of some of the 'flying' dreams I had as a kid.

I ain't got big enough stones for that stuff- I will stick with sport bikes and mountain climbing.
wink
I have made a lot of jumps in schitty conditions over land and water but let me tell you this, there is no way I am doing that. I just like myself too much.

Somewhere there is another video of one of his buds trying to fly under a bridge. He misjudged it, hit the railing and sprayed his parts all over the people on the bridge watching.
And he says that he will do it again, same stunt, when he gets out of the bone yard. Bright boy, that one....
here is one of his videos - "grinding the crack"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k&feature=player_embedded#
Originally Posted by KSMITH

Somewhere there is another video of one of his buds trying to fly under a bridge. He misjudged it, hit the railing and sprayed his parts all over the people on the bridge watching.

Ugh.
Not something I would like to see!
frown
seems like he might be just be gunning for a Darwin Award....
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
seems like he might be just be gunning for a Darwin Award....

Could be! eek

I think the mortality rates on these wing suit guys are pretty darn high.
Too much risk for me, even though I enjoy the 'extreme sports' to a certain extent.
Originally Posted by 340boy
- it reminds me of some of the 'flying' dreams I had as a kid.

How does your therapist interpret those? smile
Originally Posted by ironbender
- it reminds me of some of the 'flying' dreams I had as a kid.

How does your therapist interpret those? smile

He says I need to buy an F-16, Mike.
grin
I call them Toyota moments.
Posted By: FVA Re: Jeff Corliss nearly bites it - 02/23/12
Originally Posted by KSMITH

Ugh.
Not something I would like to see!
frown

Found it.
What can I say.
so far, never have had an urge to jump off of anything, so not seeing the attraction here.

if i want adrenaline, happier to see a deer walkin around under my tree. or maybe watching a bass hit a topwater popper at the pond.

whatever trips his trigger i guess.
Actually, it is Jeb Corliss and he is a great guy and a danged Maniac. After 5 weeks of being in the hospital, he is up and around , but will have some therapy to go through.
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Stupid is as stupid does. Not much else left to say.

Exactly
I think most people watching those videos don't realize just how fast he's going. It's kind of like the glide ratio of a 747. With those small wings, you have to keep up a lot of speed to get the lift...and a parachute landing is a must...assuming you don't want to look like a bug on a windshield.
© 24hourcampfire