Home
Posted By: boatme99 Power vs sailboats - 03/04/12
The white boots thread got me thinking about a rivalry that's been going on longer than The Tn. Mafia vs The World.

I grew up in New England and the Chesapeake area of Md., so I have done a bit of sailing (a very little bit grin). But I am and always will be a powerboater.

In this rivalry each group has derogatory names for the other. Say it ain't so, Capt.!

If you're not into boating, let it be known that a general tennet of sailboaters is.. "The wind is free, and everything else should be.".

Here are a few I remember

Sailboaters term for a powerboater: Stinkpotter. Alluding to the haze of gas or deisel exhaust found around running/idling vessels.

Gee, that's the only one that comes to mind right now. I'm sure some one here can add a few.

Now for Powerboaters terms for sailboaters:
Blowboater
Wind Fairy
Mooch
Whistle Pisser, this is from a commercial fuel dock in N.J. It comes from the fact that as the first fuel stop inside the inlet, sailboaters would pull up to dock, ask "how much is the fuel?" When told, the boater would whistle and respond, "Can I just tie up, and use the bathrooms?"

Any others from either side?
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: Power vs sailboats - 03/04/12
Container ship term for sailboat: Target!
Posted By: boatme99 Re: Power vs sailboats - 03/04/12
Yep. Every once in a while the local Fl. news would run a photo of a container ship entering port with a small mast entangled in the anchor chain.
© 24hourcampfire