Home
Posted By: prm Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Had three great flybys of the house as Discovery was relocated to Dulles today. Powerful feeling seeing that airborne for the last time.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Powerful
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
I'm not a very sentimental person, but I didn't like watching the last flight of the Discovery.

Travis
Posted By: isaac Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
I had forgotten and was coming home from turkey hunting when I saw it. 3 times it circled. Amazing to see at low overhead.

Folks were parking their cars and trucks on the side of the roads and highways as though they were tailgating.

Spectacular enough for me that I didn't mind the standstill traffic.
Posted By: 340boy Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by risjr
I had forgotten and was coming home from turkey hunting when I saw it. 3 times it circled. Amazing to see at low overhead.

Folks were parking their cars and trucks on the side of the roads and highways as though they were tailgating.

That would be a sight to see, Bob.

I never did get a chance to see a shuttle launch. Hate to see her go.
frown
Posted By: Raeford Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by 340boy

That would be a sight to see, Bob.

I never did get a chance to see a shuttle launch. Hate to see her go.
frown

Hate to see it go as well. Should have gone to Tx.
Posted By: byc Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
It was very cool with the flight pattern taking her right through downtown DC and around the Washington Monument. All the bridges were at a dead stop with people out of their cars cheering!!!

I thought for a split second that maybe the Caps had finally won the Stanley Cup! Or that danny boy was leaving the Skins laugh

A sentimental moment to reflect on a NASA legacy for sure!

Go USA!
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Now it is time�way past time�for private enterprise to step up to bat and show what they can do in space.

I�m thinking they can do a bunch.
Posted By: djs Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
I got a number of good pictures in the early 1980's as the Shuttle/747 flew over Hampton Roads (VA). I went up to the roof of my office building sin DC today and got some more! Beautiful flyby with the Washington Monument and US flags flying.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by djs
I got a number of good pictures in the early 1980's as the Shuttle/747 flew over Hampton Roads (VA). I went up to the roof of my office building sin DC today and got some more! Beautiful flyby with the Washington Monument and US flags flying.

With that said this thread is no good without pictures!!!! grin
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12

That would have been cool to see.

Did you get a turkey?

Travis
Posted By: okie Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
Originally Posted by prm
Had three great flybys of the house as Discovery was relocated to Dulles today. Powerful feeling seeing that airborne for the last time.

Came through here some years back. Quite a sight to see. Last flight brought to you by bam-bam... sad...
Posted By: byc Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12

Posted By: hicountry Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/17/12
[Linked Image]

There ya go.....
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Is that an F-5? Did we cancel our Air Force Program as as well?

Travis
Posted By: Beoceorl Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

It's a T-38. They are two seat trainer cousins to the F-5. Nasa has several, and the astronauts use them for training and travel. We see them on a pretty regular basis here around MSFC.
Posted By: tbear Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
I was at the Boeing headquarters when Discovery did a wing dip for the executives on a fly over. Everyone at Boeing was watching on TV as Discovery landed at Dulles Airport. Executives have lots of concerns about future Air Force business & of course, our governments space industry is shut down.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
It is sad.
That we are grounding the shuttle fleet, without anything better taking it's place.

The sure sign of the end of the USA as a world leader.
And the start of just another third world nation.
Posted By: temmi Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Originally Posted by Raeford
Originally Posted by 340boy
Hate to see her go.
frown

Hate to see it go as well. Should have gone to Tx.

Obwan Hates Texas almost as much as he hates Az.

Snake
Posted By: 340boy Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Originally Posted by hicountry
[Linked Image]

There ya go.....

Amazing photo.

I can remember when the program first 'got off the ground' in the seventies. I was just a little kid, but I was enthralled by that first photo I saw of the shuttle riding atop a 747.
Posted By: deflave Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Originally Posted by ScoutmasterRick
Originally Posted by deflave

Travis

It's a T-38. They are two seat trainer cousins to the F-5. Nasa has several, and the astronauts use them for training and travel. We see them on a pretty regular basis here around MSFC.

I was close! grin

Thanks for the info BTW.

Travis
Posted By: Stush Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
Sad to see the shuttles go into retirement. Like others, I grew up watching the shuttle program develop. I can't believe that we have let our space program die off like we have. It doesn't leave me with much "hope" in my heart.
Posted By: agazain Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
What's a shuttle? (Sour grapes here south of Houston...)
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Discovery to Dulles - 04/18/12
You are entitled�Houston shoulda got one.
© 24hourcampfire