Home
Criteria: Safety, Quality, Cost, Looks

Her 05 Tahoe is getting a bit long in the tooth and we are looking to switch down to a car.. Yes the dreaded MPG discussion has reared it's ugly head in our house..

Would love a crossover SUV but have driven the Nissan Murano (love everything but the MPG and price), Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav 4 -

hated the Toyota - Liked the CR-V, but hated the price on the 12 model - lots of money for a small, little feller.

Drove the Toyota Camry - it could do but she's not thrilled about it.

Drove the Honda Accord - liked everything except the cabin noise - drove two of them, they are loud!

We have two large SUV's and a Supercrew F150 - are our car expectations out of line? 30 MPG - great ride - 26-28K tops on cost..

Educated opinions? Heck even uneducated ones are welcome!!
Volvo C30
Ford Edge
The wife is driving a 2010 Camaro now. Before that we owned 2 Nissan Altimas. Nice ride with plenty of room and good on gas. If it weren't for the new Camaro we would have stayed with Nissan. There is a new body design for the '12 models.
Mazda CX-7. Quick, great handling for a crossover, superb brakes, not the best mileage.

Mazda 6. More engaging than the Accord or Camry, good handling.

Subaru Legacy GT Limited. Really quick, All wheel drive, good handling, nicely appointed, only 25 MPG.
2013 Ford Escape or a Fusion.
Originally Posted by OldRook
Criteria: Safety, Quality, Cost, Looks

Her 05 Tahoe is getting a bit long in the tooth and we are looking to switch down to a car.. Yes the dreaded MPG discussion has reared it's ugly head in our house..

Would love a crossover SUV but have driven the Nissan Murano (love everything but the MPG and price), Honda CR-V, Toyota Rav 4 -

hated the Toyota - Liked the CR-V, but hated the price on the 12 model - lots of money for a small, little feller.

Drove the Toyota Camry - it could do but she's not thrilled about it.

Drove the Honda Accord - liked everything except the cabin noise - drove two of them, they are loud!

We have two large SUV's and a Supercrew F150 - are our car expectations out of line? 30 MPG - great ride - 26-28K tops on cost..

Educated opinions? Heck even uneducated ones are welcome!!

Your correct about the Honda Accord road noise. We're on our second one, got a 2001, that the daughter drives at college and wife drives the 2010. Other than the road noise, just about bullet proof. By-the-way, paid 19K for the 2010 last Dec., with 21K miles on it.
Try Nissan Maxima. Wife loved it, but its a little pricy and about 22 city -26 hwy mpg,IIRC

forgot to mention, 2001 get 28-32 mpg and 2010 gets 26-30 mpg.. got a little bigger engine in the 2010 honda
How about a Toyota Prius? My sister has one and loves the gas mileage.
My wife wants a 72 Chevy C10, if that helps you.
Prius has good mileage, but sucks as fun to drive. Try the new Focus. Next door neighbor got one and loves it. Snappy, 24-26 in town, 38-40 on the highway. For more oomph and luxury, get the V-6 Altima instead of the Maxima. Slight increase in interior room, less weight, plenty of power, about 28-30 on the road. We have a 2010 Murano. From the my standpoint, I don't care for the CVT, but it runs like a bandit and we get 24.5-26 on road trips, running 75mph. Around town, it depends if I'm driving or the Mrs. She has a lead foot, so cold weather short hops drop it to about 16.8-17.5mpg. If I'm doing most of the driving, add 1-1.5mpg. Warm weather raises the mileage bue to warmer, less dense air requiring less fuel to amaintain the air:fuel ratio.
We have an Edge and an Escape. We prefer the Escape. Both are fine cars
Ford Fusion
The regular Subaru Legacy is a nice car too but the GT has a turbocharger and 265 BHP. The regular Legacy gets 31 MPG but only has 170 beans.
Love the Ford Fusion...but, I just got the wife a low mileage used Pontiac Vibe. Very roomy, great gas mpg.
Originally Posted by Steelhead
My wife wants a 72 Chevy C10, if that helps you.

Mine wants a 1986 LandCruiser.

She likes rust.
My wife allways wanted whatever cost the most and made the poorest mileage,that is one of the reasons I no longer have a wife. Magnum Man
I doomed myself to quick, fun cars for the wife soon after I met her. She was driving a lame old boring ass Pontiac 6000 at the time but I taught her how to drive a stick shift and then proceeded to get her a used BMW 535i.
Now, if it isn't quick and fun to drive she's totally uninterested.
Tried to transition her back to boring good gas mileage cars soon after our first child with a new Toyota Corolla but that boring ass car just reinforced her need for something fun and quick. Gas mileage be damned.
I'm actually proud of her taste in cars though.
Another car you should look at is the VW Jetta or the very very sleek VW CC.
Don't let her drive either unless you want to buy one though. Once they get a feel of German solidity and performance the others just won't do.

The CC!

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Ford Edge

An excellent choice.
I'd strongly ask that we all avoid a "government motors" vehicle......and by this I mean General Motors or Chrysler!
I was going to bring up the VW- especially the CC. I drove a Jetta TDI wagon for several years (possessive about the wagons are the Germans- still being built in Wolfsburg)
They have a completely different feel than other cars, and the safety factor is off scale.
Wife gets a new car every four years, she's had Honda CRV, Toyota Highlander, Saturn Aura and now drives an 2012 4 cyl.GMC Terrain, (Chevy Equinox)
All have been great vehicles except the Saturn, (didn't have AWD)
So far very happy with the Terrain, took it to FL and averaged about 29-30mph at highway speed, mid 20's in town. AWD is great for our winters up here, big enough to haul 4 people comfortably, good crash test numbers (important to her cause she hauls the grandkids around)
Out of all her recent vehicles I did like the Highlander the best though.
Originally Posted by levrluvr
I was going to bring up the VW- especially the CC. I drove a Jetta TDI wagon for several years (possessive about the wagons are the Germans- still being built in Wolfsburg)
They have a completely different feel than other cars, and the safety factor is off scale.

Yep, my Jetta Wagon 1.8T was built in Wolfsburg.

AMEN on the feel of German cars!!!
How about a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) Sport Wagon? Excellent mileage and durability, good looking and, lots or room the back!
Originally Posted by djs
How about a VW Jetta TDI (diesel) Sport Wagon? Excellent mileage and durability, good looking and, lots or room the back!

this will be our next new car
Yep, those Jettas are really nice cars. My niece has a diesel in her sedan. Solid as a rock and about 45-50 mpg.

Originally Posted by vapodog
I'd strongly ask that we all avoid a "government motors" vehicle......and by this I mean General Motors or Chrysler!

Heck with that!
If I could afford one I'd have a Cadillac CTS-V right now.
556 BHP, six speed manual transmission, German road feel and handling! Look cool too.
HA! You got that right. Heck I'd even take this wagon!

Originally Posted by nsaqam

Mine is spoiled too. She drives a BMW 540i 6 speed manual with some Dinan mods and I'm stuck with the Cummins smile

Originally Posted by vapodog

Heck with that!
If I could afford one I'd have a Cadillac CTS-V right now.
556 BHP, six speed manual transmission, German road feel and handling! Look cool too.

Everybody to his own!
Originally Posted by badger

Mine is spoiled too. She drives a BMW 540i 6 speed manual with some Dinan mods and I'm stuck with the Cummins smile

SWEET car!
Let me know if she wants to sell it.

My sister has a BMW M-Roadster (the Z-3 based one) with the Dinan supercharger. That car is sweet too.
You want to talk about government motors? How much has the U.S. taxpayer spent for the defense of the Japanese home islands for the past 67 years?

A new Ford Excape - out now - would be an excellent choice.

[Linked Image]

If you can wait until this fall, the new Ford Fusion is going to completely dominate the mid-size sedan category.

[Linked Image]

The Fusion will be offered in regular, hybrid, and electric variants.

Hyundai Sonata. I have spoken. smile
You want to talk about government motors? How much has the U.S. taxpayer spent for the defense of the Japanese home islands for the past 67 years?

If I recall correctly, we brokered that deal.

My wife loves her 2011 CRV. This is our second one and not a minutes trouble from either. miles
Originally Posted by MColeman
Hyundai Sonata. I have spoken. smile

This.

I've also heard that the quality of Kia products has risen dramatically since Hyundai bought them. My buddy works at Toyota North America, and says Hyundai is their biggest concern right now.

If a Hyundai doesn't trip your trigger, maybe check out the Subaru sedans.

FC
Originally Posted by walt501

If you can wait until this fall, the new Ford Fusion is going to completely dominate the mid-size sedan category.

Yes, probably the last we ever hear of the Accord and Camry...

grin
I don't think I could drive an import instead of a GM. And if you want to boycott, check out some of the organizations Subaru sends support. mtmuley
My fiance has a 2011 Jeep Patriot with the 4 cylinder. Peppy little thing, runs very well, does extremely well going up steep climbs (she stays with my 07 5.9 Cummins, says I couldnt loose her if I tried... It does well, but not that well laugh ).

25-26 MPG no matter what. And less than 18k out the door. Very good vehicle. I am about 6'3 395 lbs and I fit in it no problem...... Plus, you can put the back seat down and sleep in it or store a lot of stuff etc. A very good ride. She has put nearly 29,000 miles on it since she bought it, March of last year.
Subaru is anti hunting. What is up with the drivers? Worst car in the mountains.
Of all the vehicles I have owned the Ford's have been the most trouble free.
I own a Dodge Ram and a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I like both, but I'll be switching over to Fords when my wallet allows.
sure appreciate all the feedback guys!!!!

lots to review

LH
Toyota Camry - I have 1996 Camry, 182000 miles still running great
Honda CR-V - may cost more up front, but they go and go.
Originally Posted by add

Yes, probably the last we ever hear of the Accord and Camry... grin

I thought we were supposed to follow a recent suggestion and use a green font for sarcasm. grin

John
I have always appreciated a good Ford in my limited experience. My 07 150 has been a good truck and my old Bronco II before that was excellent. But, niether of these is what you're looking for.
My mom has a tribute (Escape) and it has done well, but I don't think it gets the mileage you're looking for.

My girlfriend just bought herself a Kia Sorento and I have to give them some credit. It is a very smooth and quiet ride. She has the 4 cylinder that gets 30 mpg and it has less than a 1000 miles. I think it will get better as the motor brakes in. I also think they are made here in America. Hyundai (owns Kia) has come a long way and I would look at one of these. It seats 7, is roomy as all get out, and the seats can be removed pretty easily for hauling cargo. You definitely should check them out.
Yeah I'll buy a Hyundai or Kia as soon as Fords are a common sight in South Korea.

I love Fords, but, I hate the auto unions.

Jetta's are FUN to drive, the TDI's get fantastic mileage, and they look snazzy (especially for a woman, lol)... just don't type "Jetta problems" into google.

After out TLC got totaled last year we looked hard at Jettas. You can get relatively new, low mileage ones relatively cheap (except the TDI's). There's a fairly brutal automatic tranny problem out there in the ones a few years old though. Scary.
Yeah I'll buy a Hyundai or Kia as soon as Fords are a common sight in South Korea.

Hyundai Sonatas and Santa Fe's are built ratcheer in Montgomery, AL.
hmmm,...I dunno.

Once you eliminate the Camry and the Accord from contention, it get's a bit tough.

If I was in the market for a mid sized sedan, I'd get the Camry and never look back.

They're built 25 miles from here in Georgetown Kentucky and I'm fairly familiar with the place.

Japanese manufacturing stresses constant improvement and attention to detail, and they're very serious about it. Their quality control is *extreme*.

Essentially, the Camry is a vehicle that's been refined and improved to a ridiculous level of quality.

It's a 300,000 mile car.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
hmmm,...I dunno.

Once you eliminate the Camry and the Accord from contention, it get's a bit tough.

If I was in the market for a mid sized sedan, I'd get the Camry and never look back.

They're built 25 miles from here in Georgetown Kentucky and I'm fairly familiar with the place.

Japanese manufacturing stresses constant improvement and attention to detail, and they're very serious about it. Their quality control is *extreme*.

Essentially, the Camry is a vehicle that's been refined and improved to a ridiculous level of quality.

It's a 300,000 mile car.

Yep, all true.
The problem with the Camry is that, like all Toyota's these days, it's boring as a stump.
The Buick LeSabre of Japan.
Another vote for KIA.
hmmm,...I dunno.

It's a 300,000 mile car.

Yep, all true.
The problem with the Camry is that, like all Toyota's these days, it's boring as a stump.

Cars that break get very boring very quickly.

As far as cars go, my #1 requirement is that it lasts for years without needing repairs.
Guess that's why they make so many different choices available.
I much prefer a car which puts a smile on my face every time I drive it because it goes, stops, and handles so well.
My wife loves her 2011 Sonata. All around town mileage is almost 30 mpg on real gas. It drops about 3 mpg with ethanol. Highway mileage is mid-30s. Have seen 38 mpg on the interstate.
hmmm,...I dunno.

It's a 300,000 mile car.

Yep, all true.

Cars that break get very boring very quickly.

As far as cars go, my #1 requirement is that it lasts for years without needing repairs.

+1

2001 Honda Accord, 225,293 miles and running great!
A boring 2004 Corolla S 32 MPG on ethanol in the city. It gets 38 on the highway. 77K nothing other than routine maintenance. Replaced the factory tires at 64K. Its boring my wallet to death. I'm running Pennzoil Platinum in it and changing the oil at 5K myself. Mobil one filter and Pennnzoil Platinum on sale at my local auto store $29.95. Its your basic transportation box and that is why I bought it cheap and dependable. I expect to get over 300K out of it if I can stand driving a car that long.
hmmm,...I dunno.

It's a 300,000 mile car.

I agree.
Originally Posted by jbmi
Wife gets a new car every four years...

Sounds expensive
None of the Asian transplants are "built" here - they're "assembled" here. When they do all the design, engineering and validity testing for each model here and when the profits stay here and their headquarters is here, then - and only then - will you be able to say "they're built here".

As for unions, you realize that all auto plants in Asia are unionized, right?

The cars may be assembled here, but the money goes out of the country and contributes to the trade deficit. Ditto for toyota and honda stuff, etc.

Originally Posted by add

Yes, probably the last we ever hear of the Accord and Camry...

grin

I doubt it. My wife has a 2011 Camry, her mother has a 2010 Fusion. Comparing the two the Camry is better in virtually every way, and it cost a bit less than her mother's Fusion. The Fusion's been in the shop a couple of times, nada for the Camry.

Oh, and my wife's Camry was built in Kentucky by American workers, her mother's Fusion was built in Mexico. Some money might go back to Japan, but there are a lot of American workers drawing paychecks for building vehicles while Ford is paying Mexicans to put together their cars instead of Americans.
None of the Asian transplants are "built" here - they're "assembled" here.

Wrong.

The Toyota plant in Georgetown Kentucky builds the cars virtually from raw materials.
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR

The cars may be assembled here, but the money goes out of the country and contributes to the trade deficit. Ditto for toyota and honda stuff, etc.

Just like that parts that are made for Ford cars overseas.
It's been a global market for many years now.
Get what you like the best and to hell with where it's "built" because it isn't all "built" there anyway.
It's been a global market for many years now.
Get what you like the best and to hell with where it's "built" because it isn't all "built" there anyway.

Amen brother!
I have been a service contractor/consultant for the auto industry for 25 years. GM, FORD, JEEP, TOYOTA, HONDA and Nissan.

I have watched all these brands being built, up close and personal, the workers think I'm invisible. They go about the REAL NORMAL ROUTINE in my presence.

That said, I buy only GM trucks for my business. For Wifey and I only Toyota. If Toyota built a 3/4 and 1 ton for the US market, that's all I would buy.
If it's such a "global market", tell me how many Detroit vehicles sold in Japan last year?

Some of you here are puzzling. Big hunters and outdoors men, but when it comes to cars and trucks, you cave into the wife who knows nothing about vehicles yet is always there harping about how you should get a Toyota and Honda. How many realize they were the most recalled vehicles for the past four years?
Yep, Ford doesn't like to recall unless it's for a really GOOD reason. Ask a bunch of Pinto families.
Yep, Ford doesn't like to recall unless it's for a really GOOD reason. Ask a bunch of Pinto families.

And that was.....over 30 years ago. Meanwhile, Toyota recalled 10 million vehicles in 2010 because they couldn't put a mat anchor in the vehicle to secure the floor mats and they can't design an accelerator that doesn't stick.
spitting spark plugs..
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by add

Yes, probably the last we ever hear of the Accord and Camry... grin

I thought we were supposed to follow a recent suggestion and use a green font for sarcasm. grin

John

I follow my own suggestion:

"When it should be so blatantly obvious to 9 out 10 folks that it is sarcasm: no need to color code".

laugh
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
spitting spark plugs..

Isn't it amazing how so many can cite chapter and verse every Detroit vehicle mishap covering a period of at least 30 to 40 years, yet these same people can't ever seem to remember a single fault with an Asian auto?
Some of you here are puzzling. Big hunters and outdoors men, but when it comes to cars and trucks, you cave into the wife who knows nothing about vehicles yet is always there harping about how you should get a Toyota and Honda.

Any wife who suggests getting a Honda or Toyota is a keeper.

Course, most auto mechanics will tend to suggest the same... unless business is slow.

Originally Posted by add
Some of you here are puzzling. Big hunters and outdoors men, but when it comes to cars and trucks, you cave into the wife who knows nothing about vehicles yet is always there harping about how you should get a Toyota and Honda.

Any wife who suggests getting a Honda or Toyota is a keeper.

Course, most auto mechanics will tend to suggest the same... unless business is slow.

And to many people who earn their living via imported brands come here to blow Toyota/Honda sunshine up my rear with statements they can't possibly back up.
We're doing the same thing at our house. Narrowed it down to Toyota Highlander or Nissan Murano. All she needs to do is decide.

Alan

And that was.....over 30 years ago. Meanwhile, Toyota recalled 10 million vehicles in 2010 because they couldn't put a mat anchor in the vehicle to secure the floor mats and they can't design an accelerator that doesn't stick.

That has been proven to be utter BS. Just like it was for Audi back in the 1980's.
EVERY single case has been the result of inept drivers pressing the accelerator rather than the brake.
Everyone who's ever driven a car knows that the brakes will win in a engine/tranny vs. brakes contest.
So keep spewing your jingoistic BS without knowing the facts.
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
We're doing the same thing at our house. Narrowed it down to Toyota Highlander or Nissan Murano. All she needs to do is decide.

Alan

The Murano is nice but I just cannot stomach a CVT transmission.

That has been proven to be utter BS. Just like it was for Audi back in the 1980's.
EVERY single case has been the result of inept drivers pressing the accelerator rather than the brake.
Everyone who's ever driven a car knows that the brakes will win in a engine/tranny vs. brakes contest.
So keep spewing your jingoistic BS without knowing the facts.

Typical Toyota Troll trying to recast history.

Here are the FACTS - Along with a LINK so you can READ the TRUTH about ASIAN JUNK!

2009 saw the largest-ever recall in the history of Toyota with 4.3 million vehicles recalled due to floor mats catching the accelerator pedal. Now, Toyota has launched a separate recall for 2.3 million vehicles concerning gas pedals that can malfunction and stick � without a floor mat in the vehicle.

Toyota says that the latest recall is totally separate from the previous recall, and addresses the possibility of some accelerator pedals becoming stuck in a position that applies throttle, without a floor mat being present.

�Our investigation indicates that there is a possibility that certain accelerator pedal mechanisms may, in rare instances, mechanically stick in a partially depressed position or return slowly to the idle position,� said Irv Miller, Toyota USA group vice president.

Click Here!
You win.
If it's such a "global market", tell me how many Detroit vehicles sold in Japan last year?

Some of you here are puzzling. Big hunters and outdoors men, but when it comes to cars and trucks, you cave into the wife who knows nothing about vehicles yet is always there harping about how you should get a Toyota and Honda. How many realize they were the most recalled vehicles for the past four years?

LOL how many Detriot vihicles come close to Japan's quality. Theres your answer.

Here are the FACTS - Along with a LINK so you can READ the TRUTH about ASIAN JUNK!

Paid shill or unpaid moron?
Yeh that. camry, accord or CRV.

hmmm,...I dunno.

It's a 300,000 mile car.
And how much did the UAW give to Obama and Pelosi?

I'll stick with Honda and Toyota built here in the US. Would consider a Ford truck

laugh

Black coffee, stat, and keep it flowing.

Waking up after a 25 year nap is gonna take a few pots full...
I just bought a Focus myself. I don't like cars. Have been driving nothing but trucks and SUV's for the past 30 years. That said, the Focus is downright snappy, handles great on winding roads and best of all I'm getting 38.5 MPG on the highway ! WOOOHOOO, I can afford to drive again !
Drumroll

2012 Honda Accord - White, leather interior and all the techno crap i don't know how to use except navigation..

She'll be back home Monday and it will be waiting for her.. CRV was into contention right til the end.. But i just cannot stomach paying 28K for a very small suv on a civic frame..

the 12 Accord is much larger inside and has a better ride...

Crazy as it sounds, I'd go the same way before I gave Government Motors another cent. My family and I have been a loyal customers for years on years, but it's over. How much money do you throw at a business before you wise up?... My thoughts only. YMMV
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

LOL how many Detriot vihicles come close to Japan's quality. Theres your answer.

I wouldn't want to lower the quality of my Ford truck in order to bring it to the low quality level of a POS Japanese truck.
There's your answer.
Originally Posted by MIVHNTR
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

I wouldn't want to lower the quality of my Ford truck in order to bring it to the low quality level of a POS Japanese truck.
There's your answer.

That's a laugh if Toyota builds a diesel in their full size truck Ford and Chevy will wheep!
Anything but a Governmental Mess of Crap (GMC)! Unless, of course you are a liberal then you'll march to liberal music anyway.

great choice

Originally Posted by OldRook
Drumroll

2012 Honda Accord - White, leather interior and all the techno crap i don't know how to use except navigation..

She'll be back home Monday and it will be waiting for her.. CRV was into contention right til the end.. But i just cannot stomach paying 28K for a very small suv on a civic frame..

the 12 Accord is much larger inside and has a better ride...

Friends got an Accord last year and love it. Quiet, comfortable, peppy. Don't know about tossability in the twisties because we took about a 45mile run on the interstate, but it sure felt nice. As to "crappy" Japanese trucks, at 13yrs and pushing 173,000 miles, I'll stick with my Nissans.
[Linked Image]

Keep making other countries rich. Japan and China alone hold 42% of our debt as of 2008.

Why do great nations fail? From the video - "Turning their backs on the principles (and products) that made them great."
Hyundia , hands down.
My '02 is going strong.
Probably replace it with another next year for the wife
( she wants an automatic ...)

Love the style of the new ones.
© 24hourcampfire