Home
I like the Korean ribs and the twisted up looks I get.

Does organic food turn people into jerks?

Renate Raymond has encountered her fair share of organic food snobs, but a recent trip to a Seattle market left her feeling like she'd stumbled onto the set of "Portlandia."

"I stopped at a market to get a fruit platter for a movie night with friends but I couldn't find one so I asked the produce guy," says the 40-year-old arts administrator from Seattle. "And he was like, 'If you want fruit platters, go to Safeway. We're organic.' I finally bought a small cake and some strawberries and then at the check stand, the guy was like 'You didn't bring your own bag? I need to charge you if you didn't bring your own bag.' It was like a 'Portlandia skit.' They were so snotty and arrogant."

As it turns out, new research has determined that a judgmental attitude may just go hand in hand with exposure to organic foods. In fact, a new study published this week in the journal of Social Psychological and Personality Science, has found that organic food may just make people act a bit like jerks.

"There's a line of research showing that when people can pat themselves on the back for their moral behavior, they can become self-righteous," says author Kendall Eskine, assistant professor of the department of psychological sciences at Loyola University in New Orleans. "I've noticed a lot of organic foods are marketed with moral terminology, like Honest Tea, and wondered if you exposed people to organic food, if it would make them pat themselves on the back for their moral and environmental choices. I wondered if they would be more altruistic or not."

To find out, Eskine and his team divided 60 people into three groups. One group was shown pictures of clearly labeled organic food, like apples and spinach. Another group was shown comfort foods such as brownies and cookies. And a third group -- the controls -- were shown non-organic, non-comfort foods like rice, mustard and oatmeal. After viewing the pictures, each person was then asked to read a series of vignettes describing moral transgressions.

"One vignette was about second cousins having sex," says Eskine. "Another was about a lawyer on the prowl in an ER trying to get people to sue for their injuries. Then the groups made moral judgments on a scale from one to seven."

In another phase of the study, the three groups were asked to volunteer for a (fictitious) study, with each person writing down the amount of time -- from zero to 30 minutes -- that they would be willing to volunteer.

The results did not bode well for the organic folks.

"We found that the organic people judged much harder compared to the control or comfort food groups," says Eskine. "On a scale of 1 to 7, the organic people were like 5.5 while the controls were about a 5 and the comfort food people were like a 4.89."

When it came to helping out a needy stranger, the organic people also proved to be more selfish, volunteering only 13 minutes as compared to 19 minutes (for controls) and 24 minutes (for comfort food folks).

"There's something about being exposed to organic food that made them feel better about themselves," says Eskine. "And that made them kind of jerks a little bit, I guess."

Why does eating better make us act worse? Eskine says it probably has to do with what he calls "moral licensing."

"People may feel like they've done their good deed," he says. "That they have permission, or license, to act unethically later on. It's like when you go to the gym and run a few miles and you feel good about yourself, so you eat a candy bar."

Eskine says he was surprised by the findings ("You'd think eating organic would make you feel elevated and want to pay it forward," he says) and hopes to do additional studies that look at conditions that might prompt people to act differently.

Until then, organic eaters may want to rein in those self-righteous stink-eyes.

"At my local grocery, I sometimes catch organic eyes gazing into my grocery cart and scowling," says Sue Frause, a 61-year-old freelance writer/photographer from Whidbey Island. "So I'll often toss in really bad foods just to get them even more riled up."
I wear my Penncap M insecticide hat, it gets noticed.
You need to get an Echols rifle cap and troll for idiots at Whole Foods. Just fun to watch the snobs stroke out !!!!!
It'll never happen to Scott F.

Might want to watch him though..... wink
Around here "Whole Foods" would mean more than one hog. smile
Originally Posted by Docbill
You need to get an Echols rifle cap and troll for idiots at Whole Foods. Just fun to watch the snobs stroke out !!!!!

Oh I got one. I've wore it and no one noticed.
I usually wear my coyote brown ball cap that has the word "Infidel" in arabic and English. laugh
We have a lot of muslims in Gainesville, they seem to be fascinated by the cap. One lady, wearing her hajib, was only momentarily nonplussed, and after studying it for awhile in the check out lane, approached me and said that she found my cap to be 'offensive'.
I smiled and told her that I found her religion to be offensive. laugh
Mine is OD Green Sam. grin The local liquor store is run by an Indian that speaks Arabic, he asked if I could pick him one up from post. He's a Sikh. grin
Ever see the "South Park" episode where the "Smug Cloud" escapes from LA and combines with the "Smug Cloud" from Colorado from the people driving hybrids? Hilarity.
Nah, I'm not a big fan of South Park.
Always wear my killin Deer Drinkin Beer t shirt with a pics of an organic gutted out deer when shopping at Whole Foods in Seattle area. I will also put on an old Bush Cheny or Reagan shirt or hat. I shop there to pick up a few hard to find spices and their seafood is good.

Some of the comments I receive are priceless. These idiots are so predictable.

I tell them that I am half black half Cherokee and gay and that they are homo phobic racists. Shuts them up fast.

That ain't right, I like it!
Originally Posted by manydogs
It'll never happen to Scott F.

Might want to watch him though..... wink

laugh laugh laugh

I sell and do some of my shopping at an organic food coop. I find then to be friendly and non aggressive but they can be more that just a little "earthy".

I wonder what they would think if the knew there is always a 1911 at condition one on my hip. Might take more paramedics that we have in the whole county to revive the bunch that just outright faint.

If I ever decide to go in while exercising my open carry right I will have Archie come along to video.

A funny side note. My Quaker raised,organic growing and eating wife believes concealed carry is wrong. She believes every one should open carry and the country would be a lot more polite. She would encourage me to open carry every waking minute.
Thats a good Woman there Scott!
Originally Posted by ribka

I tell them that I am half black half Cherokee and gay and that they are homo phobic racists. Shuts them up fast.

We need to shop together! grin
An armed society is a polite society. grin
She tells me that at least once a day while checking my tuck to be sure my shirt will not print my 1911.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I usually wear my coyote brown ball cap that has the word "Infidel" in arabic and English. laugh
We have a lot of muslims in Gainesville, they seem to be fascinated by the cap. One lady, wearing her hajib, was only momentarily nonplussed, and after studying it for awhile in the check out lane, approached me and said that she found my cap to be 'offensive'.
I smiled and told her that I found her religion to be offensive. laugh
I love it...

Originally Posted by ribka
Always wear my killin Deer Drinkin Beer t shirt with a pics of an organic gutted out deer when shopping at Whole Foods in Seattle area. I will also put on an old Bush Cheny or Reagan shirt or hat. I shop there to pick up a few hard to find spices and their seafood is good.

Some of the comments I receive are priceless. These idiots are so predictable.

I tell them that I am half black half Cherokee and gay and that they are homo phobic racists.
Even better.. laugh

My usual reply to the various idiots that are 'offended' by either the bumper stickers on my truck or by my profession is either "Sucks to be you, doesn't it?" or "Sounds like a personal problem to me."

Yours are better... smile smile

I had one of my heart surgeries in a Seventh Day Adventist hospital. You haven't met a food snob until you have met a legalistic, judaizing, joy stealing RELIGIOUS one! While I was in recovery a close freind who owns my favorite resteraunt asked if he could bring me anything...... Hmmmmm.... my freedom loving anti religion, (I am a CHRISTIAN, not a religious nut and there is a BIG difference) somewhat rebellious side kicked into overdirve and I replied "BAR BE QUE PORK RIBS, BABY!"

He brough them I ate them and offered to share with the staff (No takers, though!) and of course got the 'lecture' the next day. Loved it all.

We have two universities in town so I let my pistols 'print' all they want to, sometimes the last little bit of my holster sticks down from under my vest, and I wear Barnes Bullets and other outdoor hats and shirts nearly every day. It IS great fun to crank up the weenies, ain't it smile
My wife no longer allows me to go with her to what I call "The Democrap Store." Last time we were there, there was a female mannequin all decked out in hippie clothes next to the organic peanuts or some such schitt and she had one hand down so I turned it so it appeared she was grabbing at my root so I yelled, hey! wrong nuts lady! I was wearing my DSC shirt too and boy did I get the looks! smile
this is a good thread. thank you Steve!
Just can't take you anywhere, can she? laugh

Are you that guy that went into the dressing room at Penneys and started yelling "Where's the toilet paper?!?"

Ed
Originally Posted by Redneck
My usual reply to the various idiots that are 'offended' by either the bumper stickers on my truck or by my profession is either "Sucks to be you, doesn't it?" or "Sounds like a personal problem to me."

Yours are better... smile smile

Am fond of "You have a right to be offended, and I have a right to not give a chit."
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
One lady, wearing her hajib, was only momentarily nonplussed, and after studying it for awhile in the check out lane, approached me and said that she found my cap to be 'offensive'.

I'm thinking that was the point!
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Mine is OD Green Sam. grin The local liquor store is run by an Indian that speaks Arabic, he asked if I could pick him one up from post. He's a Sikh. grin

Sweet!
My gun club used to give out lots of shirts to the high shooters of the year. (They gave one for each class, so don't be too impressed.)
So, I have a few of those. I love wearing them to church. The Marksman and Sharpshooter class shirts are especially nice. The uninformed think "Marksman" and "Sharpshooter" is synonymous with "Sniper". smile
A buddy of mine is ordering some of these T-shirts
[Linked Image]

Will have to get some candid photos of the libtards' reaction to it here in Madistan, Dane County. I am sure it will draw them out!
Oh! I gotta get one of those. Got a link?
Who or what is KOCH? I have also never seen that emblem or flag or whatever that is.
Originally Posted by safariman
Who or what is KOCH? I have also never seen that emblem or flag or whatever that is.

KOCH is the Koch Brothers.....Big R donors. Absolutely drive the D's crazy. D's think then entire GOP is ran exclusively by the Koch Bros....you will know immediately if a person is a nutcase D if wearing anything with KOCH on it.
Originally Posted by Steve

Made this one on [b][color:#3333FF]Zazzle....[/color][/b]

Real easy,..pick a shirt and upload an image. No set-up fees or anything....

The 'R' Version of George Soros, maybe?

What are the hopes and dreams for this Nation of those two? I am going to guess that they are not Tea Party Patriots, but I would love to be wrong about that. Also going to guess that they are not much in line with the Libertarian wing of the Republican Party and that thier wealth is somehow tied to the military supplies and weapons biz somehow. Again, never heard of them, just my extrapolation of ideas from a very meager introduction.
We have one in town that opened a couple years ago. By no means I'm a regular, only been there a couple of times.
I made it a point to park my GMC Crew Cab in the electric car charging station or the "high mpg econo-car" spots. I also get "the look" when I wear my "Gut Deer?" hat.
Koch bees BIG energy plus subsids.
Anything that drives the Democrats over the edge can't be all bad... wink
I just read up on them, thanks to Deerwhackerr444 and his PM to me. I was wrong on most of my theories, and I am in this instance quite pleased to have been mistaken! Looks like the Koch Bro's and thier industries plus thier donations are exatly what this Nation needs right now. Good to see them being resposable with thier wealth in such a way. Thanks for the links, DW!
Like I said,..I don't know how "good" they are,...but anything that gets under the Democrats skin like they do can't be all bad.
Originally Posted by mathman
An armed society is a polite society. grin

I'd read some of Jeff Cooper's writings so much and he said that so often I thought it originated with him. Not so, I found out. It is original with Robert Heinlein, the science fiction writer according to my source.
Can't wait until the WF opens across the street from where I work. I am thinking for the Grand Opening I will wear my "I aim to connect with nature" tee shirt from Pronghornfreak.
Here's a link to their online store:
Koch Company

From UrbanDictionary.com
Koch-sucker 65 up, 9 down
A politician, e.g., Scott Walker, Gov. of Wisconsin, who was elected ostensibly with Tea Party support, but who then does only the bidding of his obscenely wealthy benefactors, the Koch brothers.
Scott Walker isn't trying to fix the state's budget, he's trying to bust unions - what a Koch-sucker!

Of course, Urban Dictionary is completely misinformed, but that doesn't matter to the local libtards. The Koch brothers own a couple of paper mills (one being Georgia-Pacific) in Wi, and have donated some money to Scott Walker in the past - a small amount in comparison to the piles of union money that have been spent on the Walker recall effort.
Originally Posted by jorgeI
My wife no longer allows me to go with her to what I call "The Democrap Store." Last time we were there, there was a female mannequin all decked out in hippie clothes next to the organic peanuts or some such schitt and she had one hand down so I turned it so it appeared she was grabbing at my root so I yelled, hey! wrong nuts lady! I was wearing my DSC shirt too and boy did I get the looks! smile

That would have made a great video! laugh
we have a Koch refinery here.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by Steve

Made this one on [b][color:#3333FF]Zazzle....[/color][/b]

Real easy,..pick a shirt and upload an image. No set-up fees or anything....

Thanks!
Originally Posted by safariman

Koch brothers bought Georgia Pacific (GP) a few years ago. They paid approx. $13 billion cash and assumed an approx. debt of $13 Billion, which they promptly paid off, with cash.

Koch industries is the second largest privately owned co. in the US.

Without looking it up, who is the largest privately owned co. in the US? confused
I was standing next to the organic fruit bin when a HUGE women waddled over and started looking at the fruit. She then preceded to yell across the store at her equally HUGE husband.

"They have those healthy apples, you know, the ones that help you lose weight. Want a bag?"

Husband "Nah, I hate those apples, get me a good ole candy bar"

"Well they help lose weight, so I buy a few"

Me "Ma'am, you need more than a few"

Then I walked away. grin
I still use my "David Duke for President" cap when needed. whistle whistle
© 24hourcampfire