Home
After living in Nv for 50+ yrs, Trud & I decided we need to see Jarbidge, one of the few places in the state we haven't been. It's an old mining town near the Id border, hailed as the remotest town in the US. Might not be our opinion, but definitely a cool place.

Not far off US93, we drove over Salmon Creek Falls Dam, wide enough for only 1 vehicle.
[Linked Image]

After we crossed, we got out to look at the backside of the dam. Lotsa leaks in the old SOB!
[Linked Image]

Some 50 miles later the Jarbidge River, huge by our standards.

[Linked Image]

Jarbidge cemetary, it snowed & rained most of that day.

[Linked Image]

The man buried here must have worked in one of the mines' refinery, the cone-shaped bucket is what the molten gold was poured into.
[Linked Image]

And then the camera battery died! We missed lots of pic opportunities after. Gonna head back there Labor Day, should be better with the leaves turning colors and elk bugling.
Gorgeous contry. I send off money every year to the State of Nevada, 072 & 074, One of these days, one of these days.....
Originally Posted by Malloy805
Gorgeous contry. I send off money every year to the State of Nevada, 072 & 074, One of these days, one of these days.....

Applying for deer or elk?
Originally Posted by weaselsRus
Originally Posted by Malloy805

Applying for deer or elk?

Elk
Those mountains in the background are 10,800'. It is some of the best country in the State, IMO. I used to come in from the east side by the Gilmer Ranch and hunt sagehen in the O'Neil Basin. We would hunt deer up cottonwood creek and always did well, back when licenses were over the counter.

We always made the trek over to Jarbidge, just because of the beauty of the place.
My first MIL was raised on the Twin Meadows ranch, just upstream of the Home ranch, in the O'Neil basin. Interesting country, no trees other than willows around the creeks and cottonwoods at the ranches.
I drew a bull elk tag up there this year. My son drew last year. Very cool country.

I've killed rockchucks and Beldings ground squirrels there. Seen it snow on June 1st. Great food at the local hotel and fabulous folks live there,

Fun place.

Van Zwoll didn't like much.

Blessings,

Steve

Notice the cross and the cement barricades? I know of at least 2 vehicles that have gone off there before the barricades were put in. One hung up on the rocks before it went over and the people were rescued. The other one didn't hang up, hence the cross.

They still regularly run cattle trucks over that dam as there are lots of ranches out in that country. I always have to wonder how long it will be before the feds condemn it. It waters a huge area in Twin Falls County, ID.

[Linked Image]
Many years ago, my wife spend a long night out there while I was out with a search party looking for her. Luckily, it was a very warm night. We were hiking with our boys and they'd gone off to look at some rocks. It was getting on toward dark so I told her to follow the creek we were following on down the hill and it would hit the main trail. I would go get the boys. When I got them and got down to the trail, she wasn't there. I didn't know it until that day, but she was one of those who can't deal with being along in the wild. Some people are like that and they can't help it. Instead of going down, she'd gone back up. I searched until dark then went to the nearby ranger station for help. She had a canteen and was ok when we found her the next morning at dawn.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ST40 Re: "Where the he11 is Jarbidge" - 06/01/12
I had an uncle that left Nebraska after WW2 and Korea. Everyone thought he dropped off the edge of the world, but he ended up in Jarbidge. When I was a kid I found an article in Outdoor Life with him in it, guiding a mountain lion hunt. Got to know him some, but I always regretted not going to Jarbige to see how he lived. Sam Bradley was his name, he lived quite a life. In later years he moved to Elco. When he died he left behind a stash of guns and stuff, but I couldn't get out there because of my mother and step-dad's failing health. A couple of girls that took care of him in his final years ended up with his stuff, I think he wanted it that way... Marty
Nice!
That country is just south of me-I need to get there more often.
Great photos.
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
I drew a bull elk tag up there this year. My son drew last year. Very cool country.

Lucky Dogs!!
Last city in the US where a person was killed in a stage coach robbery. Spent a week there a few years back. Great place with a lot of history that Bill Cliton tried to bring to and end.
Lots of good times in the Jarbidge Canyon, had a cabin there for 35 years. There used to be some mining buildings still standing in the 70s and 80s, Elkoro Mining Co I think. Torn down because of the liability factor I suppose.

It was the location of the last stage coach holdup in the US, DEC 1916, and that robbery and killing led to the first use of finger prints(It was a bloody palm print to convict the killer, Ben Kuhl. He did 35yrs in the Nevada State Prison in Carson City.

There is a book called "Gold Fever, by Helen Wilson", that chronicles the years in a mining town of the 1910 to 1930s or so era. Lots of first hand memories and great pictures.

There is a 4th of July celebration that's worth the trip up the canyon if your close by, parade and BBQ.
Posted By: djs Re: "Where the he11 is Jarbidge" - 06/02/12
Nice pix, thanks
Posted By: kend Re: "Where the he11 is Jarbidge" - 06/02/12
Boy, those pictures sure make me want to go hunting.
On the way back to Idaho following a fire south of Jarbridge, we passed through Jarbridge at night . Couldn't see anything but the National Forest Road passes right through it. Nice to see the pictures.
Posted By: GuyM Re: "Where the he11 is Jarbidge" - 06/02/12
Probably a pretty tough night for her.

That's a chunk of God's Country for sure.
Very cool pictures and story. I've flow plenty over that country, some of the times fairly low -- 500' and even down in one of the wider canyons north of Jarbidge. Always fun to yell at the new guys, "it's -bidge not -bridge, damn it!" Of course, I was one of those new guys once, too.

Hoping to get back to that area sometime soon. Will be great to be able to hike around the Owyhee Desert and Sawtooth Mountains again.
I was sitting on the side of the canyon up the Matterhorn about 9000ft level and watched a VERY Large bomber fly by at damn near eye level, so close I could see the wrinkles in the fuselage. Tail number was out of Fairchild. Really got my attention, was one of those times when I kicked myself for leaving the Kodak in camp.

http://www.idahosummits.com/jarbidge/jarbidge.htm

http://www.idahosummits.com/jarbidge/jarbidge.htm

Cool site, 370 peaks?

[/quote]
My first daughter spent her first birthday in the bar in Jarbidge. smile I have a picture somewhere.

On you way in Weasel,you passed an old school house at Three Creek.

Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid and the Hole in the Wall Gang stashed horses there. They had robbed a bank in NV ( I cannot recall if it was Elko or Win) and picked up fresh mounts at Three Creek on there way back to the Hole in The Wall in Utah.

Hey Rock Chuck, if you had more than one wife she wouldn't have been out there alone!!
I've crossed that old bridge a couple of times, its pretty tight. Think there's some kind of historical marker there about the bridge.

Dick
Neat pics, and place. Thanks for taking us along. smile
Originally Posted by vairboy
Very cool pictures and story. I've flow plenty over that country, some of the times fairly low -- 500' and even down in one of the wider canyons north of Jarbidge. .

Killed this ram in Jarbidge canyon...amazing and unforgiving country!
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by broomd
Very cool pictures and story. I've flow plenty over that country, some of the times fairly low -- 500' and even down in one of the wider canyons north of Jarbidge. .

[Linked Image]

In NV or Id?
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
My first daughter spent her first birthday in the bar in Jarbidge. smile I have a picture somewhere.

On you way in Weasel,you passed an old school house at Three Creek.

Butch Cassidy, The Sundance Kid and the Hole in the Wall Gang stashed horses there. They had robbed a bank in NV ( I cannot recall if it was Elko or Win) and picked up fresh mounts at Three Creek on there way back to the Hole in The Wall in Utah.

Musta missed the old schoolhouse, pretty new one there now, looks like it's a road maintenance yard too.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: "Where the he11 is Jarbidge" - 06/02/12
I knew an old gal in Othello,Wa that grew up in that country.

Monte told me one time that she grew up on a cattle ranch there and that her grandmother was widowed and that she would take in washing for some of the locals and that she knew some of the members of the Hole in the Wall Gang as every now and then one of the Gang would stop by her place and they would kill a cow or wild game and do a few chores for her and she would feed them.

[Linked Image]

In NV or Id?

About 20 miles into ID...
Also a spiritual home of the rebellion against Tyranny - the Jarbridge Brigade opposed road closures up there and that core group went on to conceive of the Klamath Falls Bucket Brigade - grass roots opposition to government policy in the west has always been given a little more attention since those events.

Just East of there in Utah is one of my favorite places - Grouse Creek, Utah - home of the finest bake sale in America!

[Linked Image]

In NV or Id?

About 20 miles into ID...

Mr. Broomd-

That's a heck of a ram and a great picture of the canyon. That ram certainly looks like a once-in-a-lifetime type of trophy. If I do get the opportunity to get back there, I need to do more hunting. I was unsuccessful for mulies in Area 39 last time, so that will be first on the list. Hopefully it will be sooner than later.
Originally Posted by Idaho1945
Hey Rock Chuck, if you had more than one wife she wouldn't have been out there alone!!
I've crossed that old bridge a couple of times, its pretty tight. Think there's some kind of historical marker there about the bridge.

Dick
If I'd had more than one wife, I'd have probably been out there alone for the peace and quiet.

Before the dams were built on the lower Snake River, salmon used to spawn where this dam is now, hence the name Salmon Falls Creek.

Closer to Jarbidge in Idaho's unit 47 there are some of the biggest mulies I've ever seen. I haven't shot a real whopper out there but I've seen a couple.
Very cool pictures and story. I've flow plenty over that country, some of the times fairly low -- 500' and even down in one of the wider canyons north of Jarbidge. Always fun to yell at the new guys, "it's -bidge not -bridge, damn it!" Of course, I was one of those new guys once, too.

Hoping to get back to that area sometime soon. Will be great to be able to hike around the Owyhee Desert and Sawtooth Mountains again.

The entirety of Central Idaho (Frank Church and Sawtooth Wilderness areas) is beautiful, the Owyhee is beautiful in its own way - desolate and dry mountains.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Notice the cross and the cement barricades? I know of at least 2 vehicles that have gone off there before the barricades were put in. One hung up on the rocks before it went over and the people were rescued. The other one didn't hang up, hence the cross.

They still regularly run cattle trucks over that dam as there are lots of ranches out in that country. I always have to wonder how long it will be before the feds condemn it. It waters a huge area in Twin Falls County, ID.

[Linked Image]

I was thinking the same think with that dam leaking like that. I wonder when the dam will let good and who gets flooded out when it does.
Originally Posted by siskiyous6
Also a spiritual home of the rebellion against Tyranny - the Jarbridge Brigade opposed road closures up there and that core group went on to conceive of the Klamath Falls Bucket Brigade - grass roots opposition to government policy in the west has always been given a little more attention since those events.

Just East of there in Utah is one of my favorite places - Grouse Creek, Utah - home of the finest bake sale in America!

Did you notice that there are only about three last names in Grouse Creek? shocked It is a Mormon enclave with three families being the bulk of the population.

I love the area and hunted sagen there many years ago. The sage and sagehen are pretty much gone now from cheat grass fires.
Originally Posted by djs
The Owyhee is beautiful in its own way - desolate and dry mountains.

I did a short weekend backpack trip once down to the Upper Owyhee River in far SW Idaho, out west of the Duck Valley Indian Reservation and the big power plant that's there. As you said, very desolate, but great country, beautiful canyons, and a nice river. Lots of snakes, too!

This is not my picture, but a great example of the canyon lands.

[Linked Image]
© 24hourcampfire