Home
Divorce chaos

Livin' with dad, doin' what I want

Drinking, smoking, chewing

A chitload of camping and shooting; not as much fishing (I fished almost daily until high school)...

Trucks and motorcycles

And, of course, chasing tail 24/7/365

Had a very chaotic 13-14-15-16. Got in a bad car wreck right before my senior year and it kind of scared me straight... got great grades and only skipped every Friday that year.... whistle
Long ago and far away.
I started out young meeting important people. Chet Huntley and I became good friends after I burglarized his house when I was in high school. I am forever glad he didn't shoot me. He wrote me this nice note after I got out of jail...

[Linked Image]
Is that the Chet Huntley of Huntley and Brinkley?

I still can hear them say,"Good night, Chet." "Good night, David."

They were always smoking cigarettes too. You wouldn't see that today.

Good to see that you discovered a criminal career wasn't your life calling.
Work, School, Work
School

Working out

Running

School

Working

Running

Working out

Or something like that. wink
Originally Posted by stray round
Is that the Chet Huntley of Huntley and Brinkley?

I still can hear them say,"Good night, Chet." "Good night, David."

They were always smoking cigarettes too. You wouldn't see that today.

Good to see that you discovered a criminal career wasn't your life calling.

Yup, that Chet Huntley. We weren't really criminals, but everyone else in jail sure was...
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I started out young meeting important people. Chet Huntley and I became good friends after I burglarized his house when I was in high school. I am forever glad he didn't shoot me. He wrote me this nice note after I got out of jail...

[Linked Image]

Wow. You're a courageous man, and it might be considered a risk by some, but your words above are plenty for me to be dead honest in saying that if you knocked on my door, I'd welcome you in without a second thought or fear. Thanks for sharing that. In some cases--as in my own brother--second chances are capitalized on. Now, they serve perhaps as sobering life lessons learned the hard way, and a testament to what being on the wrong side will lead to. Bravo.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

[Linked Image]

Wow. You're a courageous man, and it might be considered a risk by some, but your words above are plenty for me to be dead honest in saying that if you knocked on my door, I'd welcome you in without a second thought or fear. Thanks for sharing that. In some cases--as in my own brother--second chances are capitalized on. Now, they serve perhaps as sobering life lessons learned the hard way, and a testament to what being on the wrong side will lead to. Bravo.

Of course there is a story attached to the whole affair, but it's late, time for bed. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyhow the latest Shrapnel story should be out in "Rifle" magazine, that should be a good read for now...
Work, school, work, hunting, work, school, camping.
About 17 things changed and I started running round with the wrong crowd, sort of got out of that at 19 then gave it all up completely at 22.
girls
Guns
trucks
fire
hunting
Get up
milk the cows
grab a bite
get on the school bus
do homework on the bus coming home
get off the bus
grab a snack
feed the cows
eat dinner
milk the cows
go to bed

When summer came, all the going to school stuff was replaced by irrigating corn and alfalfa, and also the joy of bucking hay bales.
Football, work, trapping and hunting. Lost a girlfriend to a drunk driver when I was 16. Stayed pretty much to my self for the last two years of high school dealing with the loss. 'Made me a much better football player, as I took out my problems on every opposing player. Man, I hit some of those guys really hard.
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Get up
milk the cows
grab a bite
get on the school bus
get off the bus
grab a snack
feed the cows
eat dinner
milk the cows
go to bed

When summer came, all the going to school stuff was replaced by irrigating corn and alfalfa, and also the joy of bucking hay bales.

Wow! Did we live in a parallel world or something? That describes those years exactly as I lived them. Did your dad thump you out of bed at four AM too?
on the ragged edge

high school athlete moves to Chicago to try his hand at thuggery

lucky dumbazz didn't get killed and somewhere along the way started to back head out of rectum

it's a crying shame when you mistake dumb with tough or lucky for smart
I forgot to mention work... wow.

Worked at a gas station-truck stop pumping gas and fixing tires and changing oil. We fixed huge tires... things could tear you in half, you let 'em. The owner got a service truck and one of my first truly miserable life experiences was getting the call to take the truck out, finding myself brutally hung over at 5 AM on a Sunday morning lying on a freezing New Mexico highway removing then fixing a split rim semi tire. I got a $20-$30 commission though which was big money back then.
I would, but I can't. Anyone who remembers the 60's didn't live thru them!
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
it's a crying shame when you mistake dumb with tough or lucky for smart

That would make a pretty good signature line, and it doesn't apply only to youth.

My teen years were in the '50s, when we looked forward to adulthood and didn't try to postpone it for a decade or so. Heard a lot about our responsibilities and damned little about our rights, the opposite of the "me" generations that succeeded us. Senior year it all came together, and it was one of the happiest years of my life. Graduated two months after my 17th birthday and was in the service two days later. Had a top secret clearance at age 18. Had taken a couple of oaths by that time and we took them seriously. Like many who served during the Cold War, we stood on the brink, and a few lost their lives. Few who weren't there understand it.

Paul
A time I really wish I could do over again with just half the life knowledge I have now.
The lean and hungry years. My dad died and I was starving my way through college. Toughest times of my life.
school but mostly work and.....

School, work, move. School, work, move, School, work, move. Did I mention move. All thru my school years we moved. I hate moving. For a year before I got married at 19, it was Sex, Drugs and Rock n Roll. I got over that quick and joined the Air Force.
Sucked.. How's THAT for succinct?

[Linked Image]

shrap gets cooler every day.

Travis
Originally Posted by bbassi
A time I really wish I could do over again with just half the life knowledge I have now.

yep, same here.
School
Work
Girls
Hunting
Shooting
Fishing
Billiards

Ed
I guess I should add, lots of work, fixing cars in Dad's shop. Things I was lucky to survive.

And a slightly surreal experience, when I was 13 or so, meeting the notorious con artist Billie Sol Estes
School and working around the house. This was the 1960's and Dad was a firm believer in NO idle time. After I hit 15 it was school, working around the house during the week and working at the telephone company on weekends and holidays. I tried to get in as many camping trips as I could. My shooting had to be in pretty specific areas because I didn't have a 22. I had a 357 magnum pistol and a 44 mag rifle. It seems that most of my earnings went for reloading supplies.
Kinda shy and a bit of a loaner I guess.Had a Ham radio license when 14 and built much of my equipment,hooked on guns and hunting,learned to fly when I was 16,dated my wife on and off for a couple years,moved several times as my Dad was a minister and finally college and the USAF...
work, drinking, shooting, drinking, racing, drinking, sex, drinking, work on race cars, drinking, sex on race cars, drinking
motorcycles, drinking, sex, drinking, boats, drinking
more money than I knew what to do with, drinking, shooting, drinking,
dirt bikes, drinking, camping, sex drinking,
making more money than anyone I knew drinking,
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Long ago and far away.

And work, work, work...

My life was just like most on here. Typically lived life like it was going to be over quick. Had too much energy and not enough time in the days, weeks, and months to get it all done. Specifics I really can't remember.

At 18 I started work as a roughneck in the oilfield. After drinking up a couple of years income, I decided my dreams of getting rich were not going to happen there. That and almost losing a finger or fingers in a mishap with cable and pipes convinced me to get an education. I did and it was most beneficial as I now do what I want to do for the most part. Not bad for someone only 52 years old if I say so myself.

I will say there is a God and he let me live because I had bigger things to do in life. I have ideas but, I still haven't figured out for sure what it was/is yet.
Work on the farm, school, work on the farm..............
Wow! Jail still beats most of the wasted teen years...
succinctly?

teenage wasteland
Wasted

Mike
Mine purty well sucked, and it was entirely my own fault.

Could have been a paradise, but for whatever reason, I had
to always do things my way, the hard way. Made poor grades in
school, rebellious, if they said right, I'm to the left...

Turned 18 in the Air Force. Went for some reasons that don't
make sense to me now, but it sure did turn out to be a good
thing for me.
Work on the farm
School
Football, baseball, track
Occasional dates with girls
Wondering if the Russians really were going to bomb us.
Been to darn long ago. I know I worked liked hell and did a lot of things I never got caught for.
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
succinctly?

teenage wasteland

You and Obama smile
Track, grades, girls, in that order.(with a bit of Coors Extra Gold and Bartles and James mixed in.)
eek
The Judge asked me if I would prefer to stay in jail or go to Viet Nam. I chose the latter and am thankful for the opportunity that turned my life around. Ken
Describe your teenage years, succinctly

no

Half? I'd go for a fourth. I wasted so much time.
Originally Posted by mathman

I hear that.
frown
Blessed.
BORING? School and schoolwork, played football, pheasant and rabbit hunting, fishing for kittyfish, working at whatever part time jobs were available. Well, maybe not really so boring, but rather, BLESSED.
A little more wild than most.

Travis
Originally Posted by 340boy
Originally Posted by mathman

I hear that.
frown

Another here - looks like we have the making of a club. For me, succinct would be blissfully clueless and awkward.
Other than being an outdoorsman, I was on the edge of everthing, the middle of nothing.
Lucky.
Life threatening?

Fishing, Hunting, Girls, Fast Cars, Partying, not always in that order.
School, sports, hunting and fishing, and hard labour all summer long..
I had a ball!!. Beach parties, dances, fast cars, fast girls...........

Who could ask for anything more?
The older I get the better I was back then!
deep and wet..........
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I had a ball!!. Beach parties, dances, fast cars, fast girls...........

Who could ask for anything more?

"I got rhythm, I got music ... "
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Get up
milk the cows
grab a bite
get on the school bus
get off the bus
grab a snack
feed the cows
eat dinner
milk the cows
go to bed

When summer came, all the going to school stuff was replaced by corn and alfalfa, and also the joy of bucking hay bales.
add fixing fence lines and Damm!!! were u in my fam-damly? i did sneak some hunting and fishing in ....1st deer u shot... that got back to the pole shed... before u tagged it ment going out again blush..... smile
Originally Posted by Cheyenne
Lucky.

+1
BOOM!
Shrapnel:
An outstanding post and I think evidence of character on both sides in your early life. Never had opportunity to have a dinner with any of our world class reporters, but I certainly look forward to such an event.

As for me... Poor grades (like mostly D's) with lots of hunting and fishing included. After a few service years I came to see the value of eduction and did 3 degrees before getting a real job at age 35. I consider everything between 13 and 35 as my teen years.
As a teen I worked grounds keeping jobs at Hefners place in Lake Geneva WI. There were friendly wimmen there that had me doing stuff for them too. The money was ok. I had lots of fun.
Girls,partying,hunting,and fishing, with as little school in there as I could get away with. High scool years were great and I dont regret a bit of it.
I was fortunate, in a simple manner. Those years were busy, diverse and interesting - quite boring for others, even if retold now - so, will spare you.
wasted
Originally Posted by CCCC
I was fortunate, in a simple manner. Those years were busy, diverse and interesting - quite boring in the eyes of others, even if retold now - so, will spare you.

Yet still interesting enough to post twice! grin
Worst part of my life. I did about the same time in Vietnam as I did in High School, would do Vietnam over again but no chance of that for High School.
Wine-Women-song,for the most part,the rest of it is hazy....
Pain
Hunting and choking the chicken
My teenage years. At around 16, landed the job that would provide me more money than i thought I could ever spend, $125.00 a week. Life was good and going to be easy. For two years I bidded my time, waited to launch into the fulfillment of my dreams. After the summer of my graduation, I bought a one way ticket for a destination 1/2 way around the world, kissed my Mom goodbye, and started my first adventure that hasn't come full circle yet.
Small town, prettiest girls in Texas, and a new GTO....a blur.
Huntin', fishin, school, cars, wimmins. Good times!
The non-stop pursuit of; faster motorcycles, the next buzz and nookie.

Steve NO said it best.
Beer, football, baseball, throwing chit at people and cars, hunting, shooting & girls.
More beer, football, baseball, throwing chit at people and cars, hunting, shooting & girls.

I worked when I wasn't doing the above or going to class. Eggs, ammo & beer aren't cheap.

For some of us who are a little older than most of you, I sensed that most of us worked after school at one thing or another. Didn't matter whether you worked on a farm/ranch or whatever, but you worked. I was able to do one sport in school, but other than that no extra-carricular.

First job was caning rows upon rows of raspberries. Next up was moving sprinkler pipe and picking potatos. Thought I was on top of the world when I got a job in a GM bodyshop. Started out carrying clinkers from the furnace in the basement and made the acetylene for the shop, finally working my way up to painting farm trucks.
FUN!
God foregive me for my wild azz teen to late 20 years. Those years were about school, work, fast cars, older women, and younger whiskey!
work school run drink angst work school swim drink angst. fun anger resentment.
Had only 2 faults: daring and irresistable.

Had only 2 virtues: handsome and humble.

= cool
Wrestling, girls, shooting, redheads, surfing, girls, fishing, girls, working, girls. Add some Boone's Farm Country Quencher� and shake like hell.
Originally Posted by rifle
Wine-Women-song,for the most part,the rest of it is hazy....

+1

Although, even as a teenager I could open a box of bullets.
Guns, girls.....repeat as necessary
Totally on my own, evaded the draft.
Baseball, Beer, Girls!
suspended animation among fellow dolts, just a protracted prelude to the army/college/ marriage/career...real life in otehr words.

1B
Hardheaded, naive, hardworking, and always on the fringe of trouble.
Get up and care for the livestock, get on the bus, go to school, get off the bus, work till dark. Saturday was working on the family ranch, Sunday was working on the neighbors ranch that would work on Sunday. Any free time I might have I worked the dock at my buddies marina so that I could rent/borrow a boat once in awhile to go fishing on the lake. Nowadays - eat sleep work and [bleep].....The only time I got off and still get, is during hunting season.

mom inherited a lot of money from my grandparents and bought me lots of [bleep]

dad was of flying helicopters at night in Central America, so he wasnt around the house too much to bitch and nag and to boot, mom let me drive his 73 Stingray-454 to school, gas was .68 a gallon

Life was good
Work, alcohol, guns, girls
Work, alcohol, guns, ladies! grin GW

Bowling.
Angry, frustrated, but heck, who wasnt. Didnt get much guidance
like I should have, but I feel that I turned out ok. Of course
did alot of hunting, didnt fish much, chased girls like my
friends did, drank beer, etc.
Carbon copy of my years from age 7 to 19.

John
Hunting, fishing, work, friends, sports.

Some great memories with very few regrets, but if I could do it all again I'd put a lot more effort into school/grades and sports as the opportunities for both were short.
Was a jock and got excellent grades until middle of high school, but became disillusioned and bored. Worked just enough at a paper routes, a high-school band, and on farms and ranches to pay for my guitar, gun, girl, pickup and weekend beer and drugs. Quit school after my sophomore year because I wanted to be writer, and high school didn't seem to have any relevance. Got married at 18, which eventually helped focus my life, though we got divorced 10 years later.
You fixed tires but can't figure out a box? Go figure.
Football
Family, friends, girls, swimming/lifeguarding/work, hunting fishing, girls, girls....

Family was always first but hot tail always called to me. Luckily I had my priorities and those led me down the path I've travelled all these years.

I've got a great family I'm VERY close to and a wonderful, beautiful lady I've been lucky enough to have stick with me for the last 15 years. My friends are the best...and lifelong. My business partner is my best friend and I love him like a brother. I thank God every day for the blessings in my life.

If he called me home tomorrow I'd have no regrets...other than I love life and would continue doing what I do for a million years.
Something best forgotten.
It was the breast of times, it was the whorest of times.
Living with a ticking time bomb parent. Surviving each day by the Grace of God.
School & cows - intermixed with hay (either baling and putting up - or feeding in the winter) - then school & cows.
LORD I love it! - Still doing it! (Except school has become "the school of hard knocks")

Mark
My teenage years can be summed up in this true short story:

The high school football coach asked me why I had never tried out for the team, as he knew I was fairly coordinated and in great shape.

I replied "I am not gonna waste my after school time chasing a dumbass ball around when I could be drinking beer and killing things".

I don't think he ever said another word to me after that.
Football, partying, working, shooting, hunting, goofing off in the woods.
STOR-RY - STOR-RY - STOR-RY - STOR-RY !!!!!

Originally Posted by kamo_gari

[Linked Image]

Of course there is a story attached to the whole affair, but it's late, time for bed. Maybe tomorrow.

Anyhow the latest Shrapnel story should be out in "Rifle" magazine, that should be a good read for now...

pretty much this

hated school, never really fit in, spent weekends trading horses with mom and dad, chasing pu$$y, drinking, and killing schit.

wish i could go back and refocus on some stuff, but what the hell some of it was fun.
Originally Posted by iambrb

[Linked Image]

I can't believe all the boring lives that have been recorded here, I lived the life of Huckleberry Finn, living from one adventure to another.

When we were in High School, a friend of mine was on the ski team and they weren't supported through the school system, so we went out one night asking for donations to help send the ski team on a trip. That night alone is another story for another time, but we learned one thing...people were generous with their money.

Since that worked so well, one nice spring afternoon, we decided to go to Chet Huntley's house and ask him for donations for the tennis team, which we had no connection with. The hope would be that he would feel extra generous as at that time he had come to Bozeman to promote the building of the whole "Big Sky" project. The proceeds would be used for buying beer, not supporting the tennis team.

After we rang the doorbell and no one answered, we decided we really didn't like him anyway, as the whole "Big Sky" project was to destroy some of the most pristine forest up the Gallatin Canyon. We then decided to show him what we thought of him in his absence and threw his lawnmower up on his roof, dumped the ashes out of his ashtray all over the inside of his truck and stole a case of beer out of his house.

Lyle decided after we had left, that we should go back and get a couple of pictures off the wall in his house. I was in his house when he came out from the back. He grabbed me by the throat and asked "What the hell is going on here?" Steve was the driver and he took off down the driveway, leaving me in the house. I ran out the back door and started running for town, which was at least 6 miles away.

Pretty soon cop cars came racing up south 19th and I was able to stay hidden for all but one Highway Patrolman. He picked me up and told me that if I would try to escape, he would shoot me. I decided not to try running, especially from a moving car.

He took me to jail, made me sign the card with a Miranda warning on it, and they put me in coveralls and I waited for that opportunity to get my one phone call.

I can remember that phone call was the worst thing of the whole ordeal, to call my father and tell him what I had done.

We got out of the whole thing with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Chet was a very decent man about the incident, and I respect him for that. I still hate Big Sky and have often thought about getting into the Pentagon in Washington D.C. and secretly put the coordinates of Big Sky into a missile launching program and wipe it off the map, but that remains for another story in the future...

My second adolescence....about 31 to 48.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=z2QbDlvgHw8[/video]

I had lots of polka partys and played the accordian ... all the kids I invited don't know what they missed.
Shrapnel- hatin' Big Sky here too...always have...

Must be the reason many of us refer to it as 'Pig Sty'....

Kinda like Jackson Hole...ain't no reason in the world to take the most gorgeous country imaginable and rape it, there is no other word for it...
Oh...and as for the teenage years, succinctly...Hunting, fishing, swamps, snakes, guns, girls...
Originally Posted by P_Weed

I had lots of polka partys and played the accordian ... all the kids I invited don't know what they missed.

...you wrote the screenplay for Napolean Dynamite?..well done sir. grin
Survived being a teenager, else I wouldn't now be retired.

Summers on an aunt's rural dairy farm. Learned to shoot, kill varmints and drive tractors/vehicles, long before the gub'mint declared any of them things to be legal fer someone my age.

Now that I'm retired, can go back to spending summers like I did as a teenager. Just wish I was as physically-capable as back then.

whistle
Raised on a dairy farm at the base of the Rocky Mountains. Cow [bleep], sprinkler pipe and hay bales were my life. Lived for football, wrestling and the weight room. Discovered the thrill of horny, beautiful teenage girls! Wow!! The rock-strewn sage brush above the farm was full of rockchucks. I could not have asked for a better teenage existence. My wish for every boy would be growing up on a farm.
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Divorce chaos

Livin' with dad, doin' what I want

Drinking, smoking, chewing

A chitload of camping and shooting; not as much fishing (I fished almost daily until high school)...

Trucks and motorcycles

And, of course, chasing tail 24/7/365

Had a very chaotic 13-14-15-16. Got in a bad car wreck right before my senior year and it kind of scared me straight... got great grades and only skipped every Friday that year.... whistle

CHIT! Is that succinct enough.
i was a fugly bastard, still am. so girls weren't too fond of me. i did get to fish and shoot a lot more than i do now. was busy being good and looking back on it i should have partied hard since there wouldn't have been consequences.
My one regret is senior year B-ball, that I didn't hit the weights, get obsessed, etc. I could dunk with two hands and we had the first winning season in many years for our school but.... I could've been much better. You don't get that indestructible 17-yr-old body back...

Well, my other regret is not banging Lena twice a day, every day. She was intimidatingly HOT. I partook, verily and how, but man oh man if I could go back in time I'd tap that about 10x harder!
Describe my teen years succinctly..,,,,,,,,,,,what does succinctly mean?
Don't ramble on the way I usually do <g>...
© 24hourcampfire