Home
Peanut Butter and Honey with bananas on lighty toasted wheat bread.... Broke, but eatin like a king!
1/3 bacon 2/3 Bambi burger with a thick piece of cheese,
bun toasted in the greasy skillet... and a good dousing with
Texas Pete
A bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich (on toasted whole wheat bread) -- with mayonnaise!

John
blue bell home made vanilla.
Pinto Beans, slow cooked with ham hocks, fried cornbread, and topped with freshly chopped onions.

Ed
Look for baconnaise in the food store. I like it with maters and a sliced sweet pickle on toasted bread.

It is tasty, even thou it is both kosher, and vegan.
Venison loin from a black skillet, and gravy made from the drippings, another skillet of fried taters in onions and jalapeno peppers, and mommas cat-head biscuits.

Load a big plate and pour gravy over the whole thing black pepper the hell outta that and dig in.

Gunner
Dead heat between chicken and dumplings and homemade mac and cheese.

Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Pinto Beans, slow cooked with ham hocks, fried cornbread, and topped with freshly chopped onions.

Ed

I'm going to Ed's place. That's my favorite. I will bring the skillet fried taters and onions to go with it. smile
a good Liverwurst on rye bread, with thin sliced onions and a tasty mustard.
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
a good Liverwurst on rye bread, with thin sliced onions and a tasty mustard.

That sounds good right about now, Sam.
Besides, I could use some comfort food today!
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger
Dead heat between chicken and dumplings and homemade mac and cheese.

Homemade Mac 'n Cheese is AMAZING!

Chicken Fried Steak, mashed potatoes w brown gravy of course.
Tossed salad w tomato wedges and Blue Cheese dressing.

I won't need any desert but some cheese cake and coffee later would be nice!
my venision version of Nathan Bedford Forrest chili

with both kidney and small red beans -oh the horror crazy (so get over it and GFY)

OR

Jalapeno/pork cracklins hush puppies and a mess of crappie filets

can't decide now which
Roast Turkey, eating ALL of the crispy skin from my portion, and that of anyone else at the table to dares to pick it off their portion. (I don't eat pork rinds, but I would eat Turkey & Chicken rinds all day long.)
Mashed potatoes
Gravy (and don't skimp on the salt)
pan seared thin green beans (haricots vert) and shallots
Graeter's Black Raspberry Chip ice cream
Meat Loaf Sandwich
I'm a breakfast guy. It's my favorite meal, period. That said, it shouldn't be any surprise that eggs would be my comfort food. Mostly fried over easy, but also scrambled and toad in the hole style.
+1
Seafood.
Tex Mex
Anything fried....... grin
Chili burger with cheese and onions works for me.
Walnut brownie topped with vanilla ice cream & Hersey's chocolate syrup
pizza and ice cream...not at the same time
Big old foot long chili cheese dog smothered in onions with a big thick chocolate shake..
Venison Enchiladas with a nice beer
Turtle
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
"Roast Turkey, eating ALL of the crispy skin and then some . riced potatoes ....Gravy -stuffing more gravy and butter to boot.......add corn on the cob ...i'm drooling...h*ll........ my sticker's pecking out!!! blush
Spicy hot link hogie. Blackened, with mayo and cajun seasoning.
Wash it down with an ice cold Fat Tire ale.
Originally Posted by jpb
A bacon, lettuce and tomato sandwich (on toasted whole wheat bread) -- with mayonnaise!

John

Hard to beat that. Started picking tomatos this week. Have had BLT's (plus pickles, little bit of onion, American cheese) at Saturday lunch, Sunday supper, Monday supper, Tuesday supper, and going to tonight.
Tomato soup. Sometimes miso.
probably a tie between corned beef and cabbage, and carne asada burritos.
Eggs over easy cooked in bacon grease, with a side of bacon

Bacon

Elk burgers

Tacos

Fried aquirrel with mashed potatoes and gravy

Liver & onions with mashed potatoes and gravy

Homemade ice cream

watermelon
Can you put real butter on that cornbread and lots of thick juice in them beans.
Originally Posted by Allen917

Ed

I'm going to Ed's place. That's my favorite. I will bring the skillet fried taters and onions to go with it. smile
biscuits and gravy
Buttered popcorn and cold beer
BLT
But made from slab bacon, tomato and lettuce fresh from the garden and real rye bread from one of the local Polish grocery stores.
Cabbage rolls, pierogies mmmm

And then...

New Mexico

Caldillo, green chili stew.

stacked enchilada with a fried egg on top smothered with red chili.
these too...

[Linked Image]
I'm gonna get me some clams tomorrow, that looks yummy.
Lentil soup with a piece of sourdough bread.
Hailbut, shrimp, oysters and a thick rib steak in no particular order.
Lengue burrito from my favorite messican dive restiraunte
Hard to believe and no BS, but pork brains scrambled with eggs. My mother who was 85 passed away in April of last year and in the month before she died, she asked me to make her some as that is what she craved...Russ
eek
big thick ribeye with baked beans with pulled pork in them. onions and mushrooms sauteed together in bacon grease. cornbread- sweet- with a huge slap of churned honey butter on it.

and hot apple crisp with vanilla ice cream on it for dessert.
Entenmann's chocolate frosted donuts with a tall, cold, glass of raw whole milk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by blanket
Hard to believe and no BS, but pork brains scrambled with eggs. My mother who was 85 passed away in April of last year and in the month before she died, she asked me to make her some as that is what she craved...Russ
no, I can believe that.

I knew a guy that worked in a meat dept at a local grocer here. We knew the freak since high school, no [bleep] liked to eat for lunch often- RAW pork brains, on saltines with Tabasco

uggghhh
Mine - Pinto beans, Polish sausage, and sauerkraut; with a side of fresh cornbread and plenty of homemade butter. WARNING - stand upwind!
"The Warden"'s - chili-chicken enchilada. (She won first prize at the Rio Arriba County Fair, with this dish)!
Mark
My own made from scratch coconut chocolate chip cookies*, fresh out of the oven and cooled just enough to firm up, with two or three big glasses of ice cold milk.

* Basic choc. chip recipe on the back of any bag of Ghirardelli semi-sweet chips but where it says walnut use shredded coconut. It adds structural integrity and firms them up so they don't flatten as much while cooking, giving each monument to salivary ecstasy that perfect slightly crunchy on the edge while soft and gooey in the middle texture.
Country Ham, fried eggs, gravy, fried taters, mom's biscuits and sliced maters.
Originally Posted by jdm953
Can you put real butter on that cornbread and lots of thick juice in them beans.
Originally Posted by Allen917

Ed

Is there any other way to eat it?

Allen, BRING IT ON!

Ed
Almost any soup. I eat a bowl at lunch and often one at dinner here. They make fine stuff. Top of the list would be proper albondigas soup, made best by a little Mexican restaurant back in my home town.
Pardon my ignorance, Ed, but what is albondigas soup?

Ed
Ed, you and I are gonna have to kick the mortal hell out of a couple of BIG ole steaks and baked taters at Warehouse Willies soon. wink

Gunner
[Linked Image]

I keep them in the freezer. They are my weakness.
Spaghetti with Mom's homemade sauce and pepridge farm Italian bread. Don't forget the glass of milk, with ice...
An honest to goodness chocolate malt.
Originally Posted by gunner500
Ed, you and I are gonna have to kick the mortal hell out of a couple of BIG ole steaks and baked taters at Warehouse Willies soon. wink

Gunner

Saturday afternoon soon enough?

I'm in Albuquerque right now and will hit the road at 0600 for OKC, meet a couple of folks late tomorrow afternoon, crash in OKC, then work my way home Saturday.

I think you're kinda on the way... grin

Ed
Hard to beat a good old ham and cheese sammich! Toasted to perfection with butter in a frying pan, chase it with an ale of your choice.
I used to think menudo was it for comfort food and then I discovered birria. It's a mexican soup that is a roast that has been marinated and then cooked in several different chili's. A bowl of this topped with diced cabbage and pico de gallo gives me a sense of well being like no other food. If i was ever condemed to die for my last meal i'd have a rib steak and a bowl of birria.

Fred
Fred,

I had that in a hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Las Cruces a couple of years ago and loved it!

I have since tried to find that restaurant when I go back, but it's like it was a Twilight Zone episode or something. I can't find it.

Unfortunately, I wasn't driving the first time, I was a back seat passenger.

Thanks for bringing back the memory!

Ed
Pot roast and gravy.
Potato dumplings boiled with a beef soup bone with an enormous amount of butter to be consumed with each bite. Even better the next day fried with an equally enormous amount of butter on the side.
Fried bologna sandwich.
Maine lobster
good spaghetti and meatballs
grilled rib eye or porterhouse and a beer
roast beef
clams, steamed or fried
smoked pork butt
Ed
Alittle place in Tucson called El Sur on 22nd street just east of craycroft has the best i've ever had.

Fred
Buttermilk

Mike
Originally Posted by shreck
Tomato soup. Sometimes miso.

I'll take the mater soup and put some quartered cherry maters, fine diced onions, and a jalopino. Then either sharpe shredded cheese or a slice of pepper jack topped with cilantro!! Then a grilled cheese with the same cheese I put in the soup.

Ed

I could be comfortable at Ed's table! smile

but I just finished my fave comfort food

moose roast, with taters, celery, carrots and onions along with fresh salad.

I've been blessed to sample some great eateries this nation has to offer, but my dinner tonite, I could eat 4-5 times a week and doubt I'd ever really tire of it.
Originally Posted by eh76
Lengue burrito from my favorite messican dive restiraunte

What is the name and Where is the resturant that serves the tongue. I likes the tongue!! It is GOOD EATS!

Where do you find this? How many first born children do I need to bring to buy a bowl?

Originally Posted by azrancher
I used to think menudo was it for comfort food and then I discovered birria. It's a mexican soup that is a roast that has been marinated and then cooked in several different chili's. A bowl of this topped with diced cabbage and pico de gallo gives me a sense of well being like no other food. If i was ever condemed to die for my last meal i'd have a rib steak and a bowl of birria.

Fred
In old diner lingo. Ba-getti Size! It is spegetti and chilli. Of course with cheese and onions and hot peppers of your choice.
Homemade Saturday night baked beans cooked with a slab of bacon or salt pork in a real bean pot. Served with homemade mac and cheese, coleslaw, and some fried dough. Slather on a bit of molasses over it and I'm all done. Its a down east tradition.
Lumpy mashed potatoes with altogether too much melted butter and salt.

My Mother's potato salad is unequaled as well and a source of great comfort to me.

Fresh out of the oven Toll House chocolate chip cookies and a large glass of whole milk.
Leinies Creamy Dark..
Originally Posted by gunner500

Gunner

Saturday afternoon soon enough?

I'm in Albuquerque right now and will hit the road at 0600 for OKC, meet a couple of folks late tomorrow afternoon, crash in OKC, then work my way home Saturday.

I think you're kinda on the way... grin

Ed

Gosh Dangit Ed, I'm trying to crunch work and make enough time to head South and hang wit Uncle Pat this weekend, it would take a miracle if i could pull it off, but one thing about it, they make more steaks, and there's more weekends lined up for centuries to come. laugh

We'll get her done though neighbor.

Gunner
Shepherd's pie and a Smithwicks, or Venison loin marinated in soy sauce, and pan fried with onions and bacon with Garlic mashed potatoes on the side, or pulled pork, corn bread and greens.
my mom always makes this when i go visit. cube steak, mashed taters, peas, homemade biscuits and gravey.
If I need comforting a really good cup of coffee does the job.

Jim
My Grandma's fresh fried chicken, mashed tater and gravy and corn on the cob with fresh peach pie and ice cream for dessert. All washed down with a tall glass of cold, cold milk. cool
MS,
Not very many mexican food places have birria. Just check the menu. The recipe seems to vary a lot when you do find it. I looked a recipe up on line but haven't made any yet. I've had people that the best is made with goat. I like goat but have never had goat birria. El Sur optionally serves it with chicharrones[which i used to think was fried pork rinds] which in this case is tiny bits of steak fat and meat deep fried untill crisp. Great stuff. I think a small bowl is 5 and a large $7 and you better be darned hungry to order a large.

Fred
yep Field_Hand, that's a winner.

My Dad always asked for fried chicken. I think it was because the following day my Mom would cook chicken fried steak (run through the cuber twice) in some of the drippings left over from the chicken. With mashed potatoes, gravy, biscuits and pie or strawberry shortcake for desert.
Originally Posted by azrancher
Ed
Alittle place in Tucson called El Sur on 22nd street just east of craycroft has the best i've ever had.

Fred

I'll be passing through Tucson in a couple of weeks. I'll have to find it. Thanks for the tip!

Ed
Lumpy mashed potatoes with altogether too much melted butter and salt.

There's no such thing as too much butter.

Mother's potato salad is unequaled as well and a source of great comfort to me.

Every mother's potato salad is unequaled.
wtf is "comfort food"???

I like a good reuben sammich.

But I damn sure aint gonna gay my food up with the word "comfort"

Nothing like a big bowl of menudo or posole to make a man right again. Oh, and a lengua super-burrito - extra cilantro, please!
Originally Posted by roundoak
Buttered popcorn and cold beer
i'd have to admit i'm a crack head for those 2....
I like a good bacon cheeseburger or a good pizza.
You get enough gay from the Natty you wash it down with. grin

Ed

Mexican meatball soup.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/boilbraisesteamsimmer/r/albondigas.htm
Originally Posted by mathman
You get enough gay from the Natty you wash it down with. grin

you damn...... meany!!!

grin
Originally Posted by EdM

Ed

Mexican meatball soup.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/boilbraisesteamsimmer/r/albondigas.htm

They make meatballs out of mexicans??

You realize that's probably illegal right?

He cautiously enters, looks around, and seeing no one within rock-throwing distance, once again (quietly) says, "A can of Hormel Chili", and scampers off to a place of safety.
Originally Posted by 5sdad
He cautiously enters, looks around, and seeing no one within rock-throwing distance, once again (quietly) says, "A can of Hormel Chili", and scampers off to a place of safety.

Followed closely by rashers of thrown bacon, caldrons of hurled soups and stews, coveys of assorted sandwiches and heaved assorted homemade goodies thrown by irate foodies.

BTW if you run out of Hormel chili I'll send you a case of its identicle twin-- ALPO grin
James, if I could be assured of that response, I would definitely scurry back out to collect as much of all of those things as I could! smile (They would all be welcome accompaniments to my chili.)
not a single food, but a combination.
surf and turf
a well marbled ribeye (or prime rib) r-mr
lobsta tail
steamed artichoke w/ butter and bernaise
sauteed morel or portabella mushrooms in a thickened butter, garlic and burgundy sauce
baked potato, butter, sour cream fresh ground pepper

I've already got the artery stent and take cholesterol meds........ grin
I'll take a plate of that right before my dirt nap
Chicken and Dumplings, and cherry pie !
Moose tenderloins fresh off the animal. Comforts me to know there is 350 pounds of lean red meat accompanying those juicy morsels. smile
A porterhouse cooked medium rare over hickory wood, thin sliced potatoes cooked in/with bacon, applesauce, and hot peach pie with vanilla ice cream.
I like prime rib that's very rare, tender and plentiful. Tonight I will have one served with spaetzle.

For my salad I like a lot of blue cheese dressing thats strong of flavor. No carrots.

[Linked Image]
I like my prime rib the same way. Salad with feta and blueberry vinergarette and a bit of cilantro

Originally Posted by Savage_99
I like prime rib that's very rare, tender and plentiful. Tonight I will have one served with spaetzle.

For my salad I like a lot of blue cheese dressing thats strong of flavor. No carrots.

[Linked Image]
Comfort isnt gaying up you food. Gaying up you food is gaying up your food.

Comfort just reminds you of your mom or grandma. Or some time with your dad. This will be how your kids will remember you.

If comfort food is gay then I'm gay! I'm all the way gay right up to the point I have to kiss a man.....

Ever try a Rachel sandwich?

Originally Posted by northern_dave
wtf is "comfort food"???

I like a good reuben sammich.

But I damn sure aint gonna gay my food up with the word "comfort"

plain 'ole grilled cheese sandwich

"Ever try a Rachel sandwich?"

No, please tell?

Sub in pastrami and cole slaw. I like a touch of hot spicy horseradish. Just a TOUCH of horseradish with lots of hot mustard.

Originally Posted by northern_dave

"Ever try a Rachel sandwich?"

No, please tell?

Prime rib, medium rare, Lobster tail and a green salid with blue cheese crumbles dressing.

Yum Yum !!

Took the little Lady out for just such a dinner last week-end to celebrate our 27'th anniversery.

Virgil B.
Savory

A sub made with smoked thuringer and Muenster on a good hoagie,the way a sub shop made them back in Vegas NM all those years ago, or a fine piece of meat frilled medium rare with horseradhish sauce.

Sweet

Pecan Pie and strong coffee
Dry rub baby back pork ribs.
© 24hourcampfire