Home
Posted By: Elkliver Mapping programs - 07/06/12
Is anyone on here familiar with Garmin mapping programs? I need to get a new topo program for my computer and since i have the RINO GPS i thought it might make since. Not happy with the last one I bought so i am hesitant to lay out 100.00 without some feedback.

I asked this question on the Elk hunting thread but didn't get enough answers so i thought i would try the general group
Posted By: prm Re: Mapping programs - 07/06/12
I have one for my Rino. They are the Garmin 1:24k Topo maps. Work great. they come on a micro SD that you just plug into the Rino.
Posted By: Elkliver Re: Mapping programs - 07/07/12
Does it work on your computer also?
Posted By: eh76 Re: Mapping programs - 07/07/12
what exactly are you looking for and what have you used?
Posted By: Digs Re: Mapping programs - 07/07/12
I use Garmin Base Camp. It came with my garmin etrex GPS. It has been a pretty decent software package.

Digs
Posted By: M1Garand Re: Mapping programs - 07/07/12
I also have the 1:24K maps for my Garmin, but for my computer I use Maptechs Terrain Navigator Pro. It has every USGS map for your state that is interactive with aerial photos as well as Google Earth. You can mark waypoints, tracks, etc on it and download into your GPS and upload from your GPS on the topo or aerial maps. It's not cheap but you can sometimes score a good deal. I got mine off of eBay several years ago for a bit less and I think the non Pro version isn't bad.
Posted By: Elkliver Re: Mapping programs - 07/11/12
I've been using Delorme TOPO. It doesn't talk to my GPS well and other states I am interested in are on back order. i like being able to print out a map to look at in the field. I can get the card for this state for the Rino GPS but would also like the map on the computer in order to generate paper copies.
Posted By: eh76 Re: Mapping programs - 07/11/12
Seen this?

http://www.huntinggpsmaps.com/

FWIW do not buy the card if you do this. If you have a good internet connection do the download. You will thank me later.
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Mapping programs - 07/11/12
That's amazing!
© 24hourcampfire