Home
Posted By: azcoues If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
: TEXAS SECEDES FROM THE UNION

We need to take ALL New England States and combine them for one State called New England. . . get rid of all the politicians. . see how much money we would save "we the People". . yahoo!

We Texans love y'all, but we'll probably have to take action if Barack Obama wins the election. We'll miss you too.

Here is what can happen:

1: Barack Hussein Obama is President of the United States, and Texas secedes from the Union in summer of 2013.

2: George W. Bush will become the President of the Republic of Texas . You might not think that he talks too pretty, but we haven't had another terrorist attack, and the economy was fine until the effects of the Democrats lowering the qualifications for home loans came to roost.

So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

1. NASA is just south of Houston , Texas . We will control the space industry.

2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States .

3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess with Texas," will take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. What will the other states do? Gee, we don't know. Why not ask Obama?

5. Natural Gas - again we have all we need, and it's too bad about those Northern States. John Kerry and Al Gore will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....

6. Computer Industry - we lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications equipment -small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor,Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Microconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Medical Care - We have the research centers for cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large health centers. The Houston Medical Center alone employees over 65,000 people.

8. We have enough colleges to keep us getting smarter: University of
Texas , Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Rice, SMU, University
of Dallas , University of Houston , Baylor, UNT ( University of North
Texas ), Texas Women's University, Texas State, etc. Ivy grows better in the South anyway.

9. We have an intelligent and energetic work force, and it isn't restricted by a bunch of unions. Here in Texas , it's a Right to Work State and, therefore, it's every man and women for themselves. We just go out and get the job done. And if we don't like the way one company operates, we get a job somewhere else.

10. We have essential control of the paper, plastics, and insurance industries, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, and several military bases. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24 hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over the Texas Rangers.

12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good. Don't need any food.

13. Three of the ten largest cities in the United States, and twenty- three of the 100 largest cities in the United States, are located in Texas. And Texas also has more land than California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Rhode Island and Vermont combined.

14. Trade: Three of the ten largest ports in the United States are located in Texas .

15. We also manufacture cars down here, but we don't need to. You see, nothing rusts in
Texas, so our vehicles stay beautiful and run well for decades.

This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama: Since you won't have the refineries to get gas for your cars, only President Obama will be able to drive around in his big 5 mpg SUV. The rest of the United States will have to walk or ride bikes.

You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off satellite communications. You won't have any natural gas to heat your homes, but since Mr. Obama has predicted global warming, you will not need the gas as long as you survive the 2000 years it will take to get enough heat from Global Warming.

Signed,
The People of Texas

P.S. This is not a threatening letter - just a note to give you something to think about!

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT - THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!!

Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
it's funny some actually believe that..
Can Oklahoma join up when TX secedes.? About the only thing we can bring which TX doesn't already have is a couple of winning college football teams.... grin

Posted By: djs Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

+1!!!
Posted By: BarryC Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
I know that's kind of tongue-in-cheek, but I believe that secession is going to be one of only a small handful of solutions to the problem our Fedgov poses. The states would be wise to begin secretly planning their exits from the Union. Otherwise, we will all be smothered by the myriad problems the Fedgov has created.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
the new OPEC member....OKLATEX....and it won't be Mooslim.

fun to think about, but we've been down this road before and it didn't end well.
Posted By: nsaqam Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by djs

+1!!!

+200,000!!!!
I don't see Federalism gaining any traction, and I don't see the Commerce Clause becoming properly interpreted either. That doesn't leave many options.

At some point the ship is going to sink. I don't see how it would be possible to hold it all together under those conditions either.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
[bleep] Texass...
And just who is Texas going to trade with?

Blockading the seaports will be child's play.

Controlling the airspace outside of Texas will also be child's play.

How will your manufacturing function without iron ore from Northern MN?

And finally, what'll you do about Austin?
Posted By: 348srfun Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Ya'll are lucky that you have large cities that you consider an asset. If Georgia was to secede again we might want to try to leave Atlanta out of it .
Like Steve NO said, we've been down this road before and it didn't turn out well for the seceding States.
Posted By: Idaho1945 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
So what!! Idaho's got Boise State!

Dick
Refineries ain't no good without crude...

Might have military bases, the equipment belongs to the feds.

Never seen a puter with a "made in Texass" sticker on it.
chips come from indonesia/china...

Posted By: jdm953 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
You can have Austin.
Posted By: smithwr Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG

I realize this is all a joke and all but. You ever heard of the permian basin, theres a few barrels of crude out here. So ive heard
Posted By: stxhunter Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
not to mention the eagleford.
Posted By: Foxbat Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
I do hope Texas secedes before demographics permanently preclude this, and sets the stage for others to join them, but some of this stuff is just laugh out loud BS.

3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it.

6. Computer Industry - we lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications equipment -small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor,Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Microconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I do hope Texas secedes before demographics permanently preclude this, and sets the stage for others to join them, but some of this stuff is just laugh out loud BS.

Demographics are far more likely to force secession than to preclude it.

crude stocks for the refineries would not be a problem for OKLATEX.

and there's enough natural gas hereto last forever....it's the Yankees who would be freezing in the dark, like the old bumper stickers said.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
If/when Tejas secedes we should oughta give 'em a little kick to the booty to make sure the bastids make it all the way out the door.............
Posted By: eyeball Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Can Oklahoma join up when TX secedes.? About the only thing we can bring which TX doesn't already have is a couple of winning college football teams.... grin

Our Texas players won't want to renounce their citizenship to become citizens of Obammys sooners.
Posted By: Ringman Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12

Do you think the Texans would let the stuff go?
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
If/when Tejas secedes we should oughta give 'em a little kick to the booty to make sure the bastids make it all the way out the door.............
The gay west coast will become you. grin
it would kind of depend on the attitude of the garrisons at Ft. Hood and Ft. Bliss, I would think. If they were intent on keeping their chit, I don't think it would be worth arguing the point with them.
Posted By: noharleyyet Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
We'll take the other red states for the win Alex..the blue ones can secede and legislate pc im/morailty til they puke.

tic...
Posted By: RufusG Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by azcoues
There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Unless you consider humility a necessity. Then you're pretty much [bleep].
Originally Posted by eyeball
The gay west coast will become you. grin

Me and my poofter rifle! grin
They don't like guys with guns. whistle
Posted By: Foxbat Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by noharleyyet
We'll take the other red states for the win Alex..the blue ones can secede and legislate pc im/morailty til they puke.

tic...

There is the key. If the Red states left, the Blue ones wouldn't have enough military to fend off an invasion by a band of drunk Canucks.
We've got lots of NG and coal fired powerplants, even a refinery of our own. Heck our windmills alone will save us... whistle

Thought Texass belonged to the United States of "New" Mexico anyways.
It's called a pipe dream.

A crack pipe!
Posted By: GF1 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
...Just too bad all the Texans won't stay in Texas.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
We gonna pick and choose who stays then close both borders.grin
Posted By: rkamp Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by jdm953
You can have Austin.

Austin, the Hill Country, parts of S.A. are the only places worth a [bleep].

You other dumb [bleep] are responsible for electing that drug addled Governor, what an embarrassment.

Posted By: JBGQUICK Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
you mean, Northen Mexico?
Originally Posted by JBGQUICK
you mean, Northen Mexico?

I was in Dallas a couple of weeks ago, took the wrong exit, two blocks in I was in Honduras.

What [bleep] hole, I mean part of TX do you live in?
Posted By: n007 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Quiz

Who said: "Saskatchewan is much like Texas � except it's more friendly to the United States"

Adlai Stevenson
Posted By: jorgeI Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Easy, just like our captiol here, round them all up and ship them to kalifornia
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by nsaqam

Easy, just like our captiol here, round them all up and ship them to kalifornia

A couple of the high tech companies in the OP are CA based. Many CA high tech companies have moved to TX and diversified the economy.

I can hardly wait for the unification of FL and Cuba, coconut and mango prices should come down.

Posted By: brinky72 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
You might run short on fresh water. Something Michigan does not lack. We have often thought the same thing and we lack for not either.
Too bad Texas took in some no-loads like you in the same load, totally devoid of principle and character with no balls to admit when they've had their asses handed to them.

Austin, like Tallahassee is full of jerks like you. You know, the incessant bigoted pinging on your part at least shows what you really are. BTW, Cuba is not known for either fruit per se, although plentiful, the cash crops down there used to be sugar cane and tobacco, then again, what can one expect from the likes of you. Maybe some day you'll get your insults right.
Amen
Posted By: DELGUE Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Kinda funny how the country of freedom and democracy will let states enter the Union, but once they are in they won't let them leave it.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Too bad Texas took in some no-loads like you in the same load, totally devoid of principle and character with no balls to admit when they've had their asses handed to them.

Austin, like Tallahassee is full of jerks like you. You know, the incessant bigoted pinging on your part at least shows what you really are. BTW, Cuba is not known for either fruit per se, although plentiful, the cash crops down there used to be sugar cane and tobacco, then again, what can one expect from the likes of you. Maybe some day you'll get your insults right.

+1, well done jorge1. I think we ought to consider Louisiana and Oklahoma for entry into the Republic. Coonasses can cook like no other, and that's important. To answer the questions about "what do you guys do about _______", we have crude oil and nat gas running out our ears. We'll just trade with whichever state that has what we need. There are quite a few good Yanks around here that deserve honorary citizenship though...nsaqam, BobinNH, and a few others. I'll be the president. We'll have a flat tax, ID to vote, no green card and your azz is back to wherever you came from, no muslims no matter how nice they are or how long they've been here, if you deserve welfare benefits you'll be drug tested and have to pick up trash or something similar in order to collect your check. smile
Posted By: ingwe Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Sign me up JGR! laugh

I'd like to live in a place like that!
I forgot about the Poobah....(how could I)? You will be in charge of sentencing of convicts, and public humiliation of those who we deem necessary to receive it. I'll give you plenty of rope, so feel free to humiliate any stupid POS you feel necessary.

Oh yeah, the position comes with a furnished 3/4 ton p/u with a gun rack in the rear window like the good 'ol days.
Gotta tell you, my job won't last long...certainly no longer than the supply of hollow-points..... whistle
Maybe we'll hide your azz in a bunker somewhere. The Chairman of Public Humiliation's sessions will be televised for all to see and appreciate your work.
I'd be happy to have honorary citizenship but it's too damn hot down there and not enough public land to hunt on.

Now if a 1000 acres or so comes with that citizenship I'll have to rethink the entire thing. grin
How about the sentencing???

There won't be any convicts before long if I take over..... whistle
What about the Uh, Mexicans? You see what they did to Mexico, and as bad as they hate it, they want it that way here?
Originally Posted by ingwe
How about the sentencing???

There won't be any convicts before long if I take over..... whistle

That's why you're gonna be in charge!
Posted By: norm99 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
Originally Posted by Foxbat

tic...

There is the key. If the Red states left, the Blue ones wouldn't have enough military to fend off an invasion by a band of drunk Canucks.

well we aint all drunk ,

and ingwe well ship you some more hollow points grin
A Republic of Tejas would founder under the weight of all those ridiculous hats, plus, the menfolks are all banty-legged from wearing goofy cowboy boots, and their bowels are all impacted from wearing the same waist size Wranglers they wore in high school.

It'd be a comedy to watch 'em at the Olympics though!

There ain't much more funny than a Tejan all puffed up and full of himself like a goddam rooster while his belly hangs over his skinny-leg Wranglers and his hat sits there like a billboard saying "the bigger the hat the smaller the weenie!"

I'm just sayin'.............
What about the Uh, Mexicans? You see what they did to Mexico, and as bad as they hate it, they want it that way here?

Good question. Since most Mexicans are hard working people, and that's what is keeping the oil field rolling, we'll let them stick around as long as they're legal. They're making lots of money right now so they'll get legal or get the boot like the Muslims. Forgot to add, the TX Nat'l Guard and TX Rangers (before some smart azzz says something, it's the law enforcement Rangers )will have full authority to cleanse the borders of any illegal anything.

No-load ? I have never worked for any level of Government or non profit agency. Was in the right place at the right time on several occasions during the tech booms.

You served, and were served, and were served again, and were served again, until finally kicked out of the soft-serve line at the commissary.

It pains me that I helped pay to have a forklift lower your myopic fat fascist ass into a cockpit. Franco hid behind the Pyrenees during WWII.

Mussolini-
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of state and corporate power."
Good idea, since we entered the union with the right to secede in the future if we wished. I can't remember what sucker sold us out on that agreement, but I think under Carter the laws were changed making the Nat Guard sovereign to the almighty USArmy. I wonder, come to think of it, who exactly finances our dear old Texas Nat. Guard?
PS This being Texas, where would Ingwe hide on Sat. Night?
JeffO, blasphemy will get your cahones' cut off in the Republic. Maybe on the courthouse steps. I will have to consult with the Poobah on that. I will also suggest to the Poobah that any crime that does not warrant death or ejection from the Republic will result in a good ol' public caning where some bigazz cowboy, with a bigazz cowboy hat, will publicly cane the ever lovin' hell out of any perpetrator. I'll bet nuisance crime, such as the mockingbord mouth overloading the whippoorwill rear end as JeffO exhibited, plummets.
Lol... gotta say, that's pretty damn funny... well done!

... for a Texan. whistle
smile
Posted By: ribka Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12
I was in Portland last month and I saw quite a few what I guess could be called men wearing berets.

Take a cowboy hatnover a beret.

A Republic of Tejas would founder under the weight of all those ridiculous hats, plus, the menfolks are all banty-legged from wearing goofy cowboy boots, and their bowels are all impacted from wearing the same waist size Wranglers they wore in high school.

It'd be a comedy to watch 'em at the Olympics though!

There ain't much more funny than a Tejan all puffed up and full of himself like a goddam rooster while his belly hangs over his skinny-leg Wranglers and his hat sits there like a billboard saying "the bigger the hat the smaller the weenie!"

I'm just sayin'.............
Cowboy hats and line dancing..._
Posted By: MColeman Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/14/12

You sure do know how to hurt them Texicans. smile
We'll trade 'em water for gas, straight up, gallon for gallon. Just run the tanker trucks both ways. We'll have a little water in our gas but we will survive. They'll have a little gas in their water. Between that and their impacted bowels plugging up the works we'll rid the world of the bastids one open flame at a time! grin
Originally Posted by rkamp

You served, and were served, and were served again, and were served again, until finally kicked out of the soft-serve line at the commissary.

It pains me that I helped pay to have a forklift lower your myopic fat fascist ass into a cockpit. Franco hid behind the Pyrenees during WWII.

I see insults is all you have left, but you forgot to mention my retirement check, and at six figures, I bet that one pains extra hard. Speaking of cockpits and fatasses, just for you, on my last flight before I retired after thirty years, four months and seventeen days:

[Linked Image]

Franco and the Pyrennes? lame response after I embarrassed your ever-constant bigoted comment about my ethnicity.

The difference between you and me (other than you're a pencil-necked feather merchant, effette ingrate), is that it didn't pain me one bit protecting the liked of you and your San Francisco homo-ass every time I went in harms way. It's called duty, something totally foreign to an ass like you.

PS: The commissary is where you buy groceries, the soft serve stuff we have served in the Wardroom or at the officer's club(we call it auto-dog because when it comes out of the machine, it kinda looks like you, you know dogshit), so once again your [bleep] up your insults. You know, if I was as wrong as you are so often, I'd kill myself.
Originally Posted by ribka
I was in Portland last month and I saw quite a few what I guess could be called men wearing berets.

Take a cowboy hatnover a beret.

damraht. any sumbitch wearing a beret in Tejas better work at the French consulate.

wasn't it Jeff Cooper who said the beret was the most absurd hat ever invented? wait a tick.....a little googlefu....ah, here it is:

What is all this about a beret? The beret, of course, is a Basque headgear which serves no purpose whatever. It does not hold off the rain. It does not keep the sun out of the eyes or off the back of the neck. It blows off in a wind, and it offers no protection against bumps and knocks. I have nothing against the Basques, but the beret is a silly hat and should not be given consideration as part of the modern military uniform. The fact that it has assumed a certain badge-glamour is apparent, but not irrevocable. There are ways of making a man's uniform more distinguished looking without attempting to be "fashionable."
Posted By: Penguin Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
God damn... I honestly sometimes wonder if this place isn't less like a campfire than a sort of a Hunger Games writ large. If a website composed of people that have this level of things in common has such fragile bonds to each other I have to wonder what in the hell is going to hold this nation together in a few decades.

College football season can't get here fast enough. I notice that my old amigos from the pick'em are scarce as hen's teeth around here anymore. I wonder if they aren't as fed up with this kind of [bleep] as I am.

Will

PS: This is pointed at no one in particular the entire thread is a train wreck.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
...you forgot to mention my retirement check, and at six figures, I bet that one pains extra hard. Speaking of cockpits and fatasses, just for you, on my last flight before I retired after thirty years, four months and seventeen days:

And just think, all that time you could have been teaching public school.....

Well, maybe in your next life grin

Meanwhile, thanks for your service in this one.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
you wearin' a beret, boy? wink

hell, might as well get to 'er.....where do you think LSU will finish this year, seein' as how they may have a QB for the first time in living memory?
Posted By: stxhunter Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
[Linked Image]
Posted By: jorgeI Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Actually Birdie, I thought about doing just that after I retired. I went as far as getting my certification from the Navy to teach NJROTC in Florida schools, but those openings are hard to get and my wife did not want to move. My last job as Director of the Navy's Aviation Training School, I really enjoyed teaching. Just as you say, maybe in the next life.
Posted By: Penguin Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
you wearin' a beret, boy? wink

hell, might as well get to 'er.....where do you think LSU will finish this year, seein' as how they may have a QB for the first time in living memory?

I think LSU is in the same place they been for the last 5 or 6 six. Which is to say a couple breaks away from going all the way and winning it all. They'll probably have the best defensive line in the country and enough skill on the bench to field a 10 win team in most conferences.

My mounties and bajjahs have a much more ~ahem~ interesting road to trod. :p

Will
Since most Mexicans are hard working people, and that's what is keeping the oil field rolling, we'll let them stick around as long as they're legal.

Ya, and there's that other ten million Texas Mexicans that are citizens, second, third and fourth generation.

I vote Tex-Mex as the official cuisine of this new Nation, tho' I realize the chicken fried steak lobby is gonna be well-financed. Crap, this contentious issue could tear us apart right out of the gate eek

One thing EVERYONE will agree on is that blonde is the official hair color of the Republic.

Suggest we naturalize Kate Upton, wherever she is.

Allow me to volunteer to go find her....
I think she's from Florida Birdie, if I bring her with me can I get to be an honorary Texican? smile
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I vote Tex-Mex as the official cuisine of this new Nation, tho' I realize the chicken fried steak lobby is gonna be well-financed. Crap, this contentious issue could tear us apart right out of the gate eek

One thing EVERYONE will agree on is that blonde is the official hair color of the Republic.

affirmative on big hair blondes as the official national chick....and put me in the chicken fried steak party. although I couldn't find one in any of the food trailers on SoCo in Austin last week....plenty of dang Tex-Mex, though.

the vast improvement in Mexican food here was one of the side effects of the migration of Mexicans here after the hurricane.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Wow, the tears are starting to run down my cheeks...

Would be like watching the inlaws walking out the door! Don't call us, we'll call you. grin
I bring her with me can I get to be an honorary Texican? smile

Aint you heard? You're gonna be the Top Brass of our Air Force. As such, we're gonna rename the "Commemorative Air Force" back to the "Confederate Air Force" (as it shoulda been all along) and hand you the keys.

Suggest we reassign one of them Border drones to Kate and keep her under 24 hour surveillance, for national security puposes of course.

Aint gonna be needing them drones anyhow as one of the first acts will be to seal the Border, tight as a drum.... ..and install rod holders on them armed gunboats we got on Falcon Lake.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: rkamp Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Originally Posted by rkamp

I see insults is all you have left, but you forgot to mention my retirement check, and at six figures, I bet that one pains extra hard. Speaking of cockpits and fatasses, just for you, on my last flight before I retired after thirty years, four months and seventeen days:

[Linked Image]

Franco and the Pyrennes? lame response after I embarrassed your ever-constant bigoted comment about my ethnicity.

The difference between you and me (other than you're a pencil-necked feather merchant, effette ingrate), is that it didn't pain me one bit protecting the liked of you and your San Francisco homo-ass every time I went in harms way. It's called duty, something totally foreign to an ass like you.

PS: The commissary is where you buy groceries, the soft serve stuff we have served in the Wardroom or at the officer's club(we call it auto-dog because when it comes out of the machine, it kinda looks like you, you know dogshit), so once again your [bleep] up your insults. You know, if I was as wrong as you are so often, I'd kill myself.

Don't go Obama and play the race card on me pendejo, my great, great, grand father was a "salt water wet back", but not a fascist.

I protect myself, and am a true capitalist. Now go play with your latin dictator trading cards, eat some more ice cream on the house, and dream of the junta.

Your over and out.

Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Ive found traditional Mexican food to be very bland and greasy. Even the Mexicans I work with will tell you that food from Don Pablo's or LaSenorita's isn't true Mexican...

I do like a good tamale!

And I hate to break your heart, Kate is dating a Detroit Tiger pitcher... smile
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Penguin,

But... but.... you gotta tease Texans every chance you get. It's just sort of mandatory. I thought everyone knew this. confused

Thinkin' Oregon will be right there in a good position to get whupped by a &!$%�! SEC team again this year in the Natty!
Posted By: Mako25 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Well, I vote we extend the borders; Rockies to the west, Mississippi River to the east, because it'd be much more difficult to defend against the onslaught from those directions, than it would be from the south.

Posted By: eyeball Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Originally Posted by MColeman

Ok. has to get the best Texas boys money can buy because not many Okie boys can learn to play. grin
..and how're we gonna seal the Border?

Easy.... 1,000 miles of Border... gonna need 5,000 deer blinds and feeders, manned on a volunteer basis.

Volunteers get to keep every hog and coyote they can shoot, plus other game in season.

Oh yeah, and report every Border crossing they see. NO they aint gonna shoot... unless fired upon... on account of most Texans on the Border look about like better-fed Mexicans anyhow.

Birdwatcher
Ahhhh we gaotta include the Okies. They're good 'nough folk, and there's walleyes in OK - something Texas sadly lacks.
And I hate to break your heart, Kate is dating a Detroit Tiger pitcher...

Oh please, she's so hot she's like plutonium.

Pretty soon the guy's hair will start falling out.... I give him a month, tops....

Anyhow, I'm married.
NO they aint gonna shoot...

If they see a beret they are.
Ive found traditional Mexican food to be very bland and greasy.

Unlike chicken fried steak, fer example....

Even the Mexicans I work with will tell you that food from Don Pablo's or LaSenorita's isn't true Mexican...

Where on earth are you writing from? When you're talking Tex-Mex as soon as you start quoting named restaurants you already missed the boat.

Its easy, go where the Tex-Mexicans go, I can think of maybe ten places withing two miles of where I sit.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: noharleyyet Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12

Easy.... 1,000 miles of Border... gonna need 5,000 deer blinds and feeders, manned on a volunteer basis.

Volunteers get to keep every hog and coyote they can shoot, plus other game in season.

Oh yeah, and report every Border crossing they see. NO they aint gonna shoot... unless fired upon... on account of most Texans on the Border look about like better-fed Mexicans anyhow.

Birdwatcher

...funny and true...hell you could lease those stands for 5 grand a year.
Posted By: mossbergman Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
well dipshit with the exception of 7 and 15 its true. 7 there are many top med facilities in the USA and vehicles do rust in the humidity.

Its easy, go where the Tex-Mexicans go, I can think of maybe ten places withing two miles of where I sit.

Birdwatcher

wheels optional

Ok. has to get the best Texas boys money can buy because not many Okie boys can learn to play. grin

We'd be helping you Texans out if we took over and made some changes to your schools. For instance, a simple band uniform change might get people to believe U of T isn't a complete bunch of queers.... grin

[Linked Image]
race card? didn't know you were black or asian, but you must be some kind of stupid, in case you forgot, YOU bring the bigot crap EVERY TIME you respond. All you got are the personal insults which I am too happy to oblige in returning. It's fun picking on a half wit pussified moron like you. Salt water wetback you say? Obviously not from my neck of the woods, "pendejo" is generally a term used by those who one asks for "more iced tea". You're a bigot and a classless ass.
Posted By: djs Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12

We'd be helping you Texans out if we took over and made some changes to your schools. For instance, a simple band uniform change might get people to believe U of T isn't a complete bunch of queers.... grin

[Linked Image]

WOW! that's the U of T band? I thought it was the Rainbow Collation Parade in New Orleans
The Aggie coach called in the psychiatrist and asked what could be done to help them beat UT. He said his guys were getting all tense before the game and were wearing themselves out beating their meat before the game. The dr said to make them wear orange underwear 24 hrs a day the week before the game. The coach asked how the heck that would do any good. The Dr replied, "They can't beat anything in orange."
Bwwwaaaa....Haaaaa....
Posted By: rkamp Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
race card? didn't know you were black or asian, but you must be some kind of stupid, in case you forgot, YOU bring the bigot crap EVERY TIME you respond. All you got are the personal insults which I am too happy to oblige in returning. It's fun picking on a half wit pussified moron like you. Salt water wetback you say? Obviously not from my neck of the woods, "pendejo" is generally a term used by those who one asks for "more iced tea". You're a bigot and a classless ass.

Pussified? in my neck of the woods, it means one who holds a fish with a glove. How are you going to torture a college coed for having a library card when when you can't even hold an icky fish. You are soft, what would Trujillo say?

Now [bleep] off!

I have a busy day on the ranch tomorrow.

Posted By: Bigbuck215 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
Originally Posted by Mako25
Ahhhh we gaotta include the Okies. They're good 'nough folk, and there's walleyes in OK - something Texas sadly lacks.

And Texas does come up short in the mountain department. What ya'll gonna do about that? Pretty important to me as I ain't gonna move there till ya'll grow some biggins. Mountains, that is. whistle
Bwwwaaaa....Haaaaa....
Deer, them [bleep]...,uh band members are so good they can march and play while drunk, I tell you.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
My gosh Jorge,you sure do piss off the liberals don't you. grin
keep it under your hat, but I'm pretty sure he does it on purpose.
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
OK,but he should at least stop having so much fun when he does it!
Posted By: JGRaider Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12

Birdwatcher

I'm already on that taking care of the border crossing thing. I've designed a feeder that throws Bud Light twice a day. The freakin' wetbacks come from miles around to get a helpin' of that action. Little do they know.

Being the self appointed president, get on that Kate Upton detail...

Maybe we can have a food theme of the month kind of deal. Love that Tex-Mex, and since I've officially invited the coonas nation, we'll have a cajun food month, and we'll also have the white boy month featuring those chicken fried steaks. Oh yeah.....every citizen of the Republic will be required to own a gun.
miller lite is better bait.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
The Republic of Texas extended into parts of present day New Mexico,Colorado,Wyoming , Nebraska,and Oklahoma.

Some of y'all may be more Tex than you know.
I've designed a feeder that throws Bud Light twice a day.

grin

Just remember to toss back any 'Fire members caught in the net.

Being the self appointed president, get on that Kate Upton detail...

Sir, I have been up all night scouring the internet for images and video footage. I have also dispatched a missive to Miss Upton informing her of the situation, and requesting a sample of her underclothing for our archives. I have been given to understand that she has contacted her local authorities.

One contentious issue remains.... the national anthem.

Lets face it, most such are sorta dull and/or hard to sing. We need one that will inspire audience participation while at the same time sending an important message about our values and perspective to our young people.

Hank Williams Jr's classic "A Country Boy Can Survive" immediately comes to mind but may not reach on an emotional level those living in our urban centers. OTOH Jimmy Buffet's "Why Don't We Get Drunk and Screw?", while undoubtedly also a classic, might be taken out of context by our young folks and would probably never be endorsed by the critical Southern Baptist voting block anyway.

Then in a stroke of genius it came to me; a song which captures all of our values as well as providing important counselling pertaining to that most sacred of institutions....

Birdwatcher
Posted By: hotsoup Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
texas isn't going anywhere. there are enough dems in texas to prevent any such action, and even if there weren't, texas can't sustain itself without funds from the governemnt tit. God bless texas, they just need some more vocal conservatives.
Say what? You think the Govt taxes people in NY and Ca. and sends the Govt teat money to Texas? Oh, they print dollar bill signs on paper and send it to just exactly who in Texas?

The truth is, the good old USA can't sustain itself on the financial policy it has embarked on. Did you ever hear of say, uh, Stockton Ca.? Well, I thought not.
You live in San Antonio and make this foolish recomendation?

FOR SHAME!!!!!!!!!!

The ONLY anthem under consideration should be "San Antonio Rose".

Because "Bob Wills is still the King".

Lest you think I am prejudiced against you hippie,yankee,late-coming,infiltraters,I'll have you know that I was part of a hastily assembeled band in Luekenbach back in the 'seventies who - after playing the
Wedding March" as directed by the Judge performing the ceremony - immediately switched to the aforementioned Jimmy Buffet song.

Your error is gross enough to warrant banishment from this discussion!

grin
hippie,yankee,late-coming,infiltraters

I haven't got enough hair to meet that definition. >grins<

I do know who Hood, Cleburne, and Bragg (to a lessor degree) are. I'm also aware that even Sam Houston hisself was ousted from his Governorship for not swearing allegiance to the cause.

Tough crowd them Texans.
You and Steve NO are OK.

You got hats and boots.
The ONLY anthem under consideration should be "San Antonio Rose".

Because "Bob Wills is still the King".

Sir, now you are stepping over into the realm of religion, surely we aint looking to form a Theocracy here.

I'll have you know that I was part of a hastily assembeled band in Luekenbach back in the 'seventies

...and here you go calling ME a Hippie....

Your error is gross enough to warrant banishment from this discussion!

To paraphrase Twain or Marx (I forget which):

"I'd not want to be part of any discussion that would have me as a member."

Birdwatcher
Originally Posted by hotsoup
texas isn't going anywhere. there are enough dems in texas to prevent any such action, and even if there weren't, texas can't sustain itself without funds from the governemnt tit. God bless texas, they just need some more vocal conservatives.

Texas can sustain itself just fine without funds coming back to it that the gov't took in the first place.....mineral royalties from the OCS which would then be all Texas property, severance taxes, gasoline taxes, and of course all the income tax generated by a state whose economy is larger than that of Russia and just behind India. Plus the Texas legislature freed from federal mandates would quickly gas a large number of stupid programs.

ain't gonna happen, but if it did, Texas would be just fine.

And as far as the state song, I've always thought they screwed up with Eyes of Texas.....Yellow Rose is a much better tune.
Originally Posted by curdog4570
You and Steve NO are OK.

You got hats and boots.

Guilty. My Daddy's people, with their usual exquisite sense of timing, arrived in Texas in 1861. I'm fifth generation Texian.
Ya know Rog, I was googling around tying to find a video of some New Yorker grabbing his crotch in the classic New York manner and saying

"Texas? I got your Texas riiiight here" grin

The search brought up this, concerning Southlake TX grin

Prob'ly we need to detach that particular burg and ship it west, I dunno who Seth is....

My Daddy's people, with their usual exquisite sense of timing, arrived in Texas in 1861

There's a "you chittin' me" moment.

I'm much newer (Sam Houston was 'bout my age when he arrived), but boots 'n' hats are my makeup, and you've seen the changes in WI. wink
Originally Posted by Mako25
My Daddy's people, with their usual exquisite sense of timing, arrived in Texas in 1861

There's a "you chittin' me" moment.

I'm much newer (Sam Houston was 'bout my age when he arrived), but boots 'n' hats are my makeup, and you've seen the changes in WI. wink

Unlike Steve,you only made the cut because of an interest in a SMALL amount of diversity.In fact,you and Redneck filled Wisconsin's quota.

Time for you to keep a low profile,I'd say.
Posted By: Hotload Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12

We need to take ALL New England States and combine them for one State called New England. . . get rid of all the politicians. . see how much money we would save "we the People". . yahoo!

We Texans love y'all, but we'll probably have to take action if Barack Obama wins the election. We'll miss you too.

Here is what can happen:

1: Barack Hussein Obama is President of the United States, and Texas secedes from the Union in summer of 2013.

2: George W. Bush will become the President of the Republic of Texas . You might not think that he talks too pretty, but we haven't had another terrorist attack, and the economy was fine until the effects of the Democrats lowering the qualifications for home loans came to roost.

So what does Texas have to do to survive as a Republic?

2. We refine over 85% of the gasoline in the United States .

3. Defense Industry--we have over 65% of it. The term "Don't mess with Texas," will take on a whole new meaning.

4. Oil - we can supply all the oil that the Republic of Texas will need for the next 300 years. What will the other states do? Gee, we don't know. Why not ask Obama?

5. Natural Gas - again we have all we need, and it's too bad about those Northern States. John Kerry and Al Gore will have to figure out a way to keep them warm....

6. Computer Industry - we lead the nation in producing computer chips and communications equipment -small companies like Texas Instruments, Dell Computer, EDS, Raytheon, National Semiconductor,Motorola, Intel, AMD, Atmel, Applied Materials, Ball Microconductor, Dallas Semiconductor, Nortel, Alcatel, etc, etc. The list goes on and on.

7. Medical Care - We have the research centers for cancer research, the best burn centers and the top trauma units in the world, as well as other large health centers. The Houston Medical Center alone employees over 65,000 people.

8. We have enough colleges to keep us getting smarter: University of
Texas , Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Texas Christian, Rice, SMU, University
of Dallas , University of Houston , Baylor, UNT ( University of North
Texas ), Texas Women's University, Texas State, etc. Ivy grows better in the South anyway.

9. We have an intelligent and energetic work force, and it isn't restricted by a bunch of unions. Here in Texas , it's a Right to Work State and, therefore, it's every man and women for themselves. We just go out and get the job done. And if we don't like the way one company operates, we get a job somewhere else.

10. We have essential control of the paper, plastics, and insurance industries, etc.

11. In case of a foreign invasion, we have the Texas National Guard, the Texas Air National Guard, and several military bases. We don't have an Army, but since everybody down here has at least six rifles and a pile of ammo, we can raise an Army in 24 hours if we need one. If the situation really gets bad, we can always call the Department of Public Safety and ask them to send over the Texas Rangers.

12. We are totally self-sufficient in beef, poultry, hogs, and several types of grain, fruit and vegetables, and let's not forget seafood from the Gulf. Also, everybody down here knows how to cook them so that they taste good. Don't need any food.

13. Three of the ten largest cities in the United States, and twenty- three of the 100 largest cities in the United States, are located in Texas. And Texas also has more land than California, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Delaware, Hawaii, Massachusetts, Maryland, Rhode Island and Vermont combined.

14. Trade: Three of the ten largest ports in the United States are located in Texas .

15. We also manufacture cars down here, but we don't need to. You see, nothing rusts in
Texas, so our vehicles stay beautiful and run well for decades.

This just names a few of the items that will keep the Republic of Texas in good shape. There isn't a thing out there that we need and don't have.

Now to the rest of the United States under President Obama: Since you won't have the refineries to get gas for your cars, only President Obama will be able to drive around in his big 5 mpg SUV. The rest of the United States will have to walk or ride bikes.

You won't have any TV as the Space Center in Houston will cut off satellite communications. You won't have any natural gas to heat your homes, but since Mr. Obama has predicted global warming, you will not need the gas as long as you survive the 2000 years it will take to get enough heat from Global Warming.

Signed,
The People of Texas

P.S. This is not a threatening letter - just a note to give you something to think about!

SLEEP WELL TONIGHT - THE EYES OF TEXAS ARE UPON YOU!!

IF Obama wins and Texas secedes.... I will move, As long as I can bring my truck, dog and guns. laugh
I'll have you know that I was part of a hastily assembeled band in Luekenbach back in the 'seventies

Ya know this statement is worthy of more attention than I gave it.

Luckenbach in its prime musta really been something cool

I didn't get there until about twenty-five years ago, and its gone further downhill since then, probably on account all of them hippie, yankee, late-coming infiltrators.

As best I can put it, Luckenbach today is about like what the Luckenbach area at Fiesta Texas would look like if'n they had one; you just follow the trail of minivans and SUV's in.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Hotload Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/15/12
So if Romney wins, are you still going to secede ?
Ya know Rog, I was googling around tying to find a video of some New Yorker grabbing his crotch in the classic New York manner and saying

"Texas? I got your Texas riiiight here" grin

The search brought up this, concerning Southlake TX grin

Prob'ly we need to detach that particular burg and ship it west, I dunno who Seth is....

Nah, just ship the parents back north of the mason dixon gnat line where they cane from.

Ya know this statement is worthy of more attention than I gave it.

Luckenbach in its prime musta really been something cool

I didn't get there until about twenty-five years ago, and its gone further downhill since then, probably on account all of them hippie, yankee, late-coming infiltrators.

As best I can put it, Luckenbach today is about like what the Luckenbach area at Fiesta Texas would look like if'n they had one; you just follow the trail of minivans and SUV's in.

Birdwatcher

Luchenbach 10 years ago was still cool. We had the ignominious honor of being briefly expelled from the grounds by Sherrif Marge for bartering margaritas (in lieu of mardi gras beads) to willing female exhibitionists. She said, "you boys are messin' with my beer sales. Take the margarita machine outa here and come on back."....so we did. She was a cool lady, bless her soul.

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/hist...ved-sheriff-marge-a-real-texas-folk-hero
"IF Obama wins and Texas secedes.... I will move, As long as I can bring my truck, dog and guns."

You MIGHT sneak into the I-35 corridor or eastward.

But in REAL Texas,we drive PICKUPS!
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
From the time Hondo bought the town until he died,Luekenbach was about him........ and music.I barely missed that part.My first trip,like a lot of folks , was the year the SONG came out.

At that time,Luekenbach was about drinking beer,smoking dope,and music.There still was no organization as far as the music,but it HAD to be acoustical.There were some really excellent pickers that showed up pretty regular.

The hippie chicks drew the redneck guys and the hippie guys were tolerated because they brought the girls and the grass.

I had a muzzleloader built by a guy down there - a hippie who stuck around and lived in a stone hut with NO modern conveniences-like elec or running water- and went down there to see him along in the early 'eighties,and all was changed.A minor-league guitar picker from my previous trips had an amp plugged in,a sound system,and a tip jar.The regulars I knew had taken to going over to a place close to Comfort.

I never went back.

From what the Harley Guy posted,sounds like maybe they recovered some of the magic.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12

Luchenbach 10 years ago was still cool. We had the ignominious honor of being briefly expelled from the grounds by Sherrif Marge for bartering margaritas (in lieu of mardi gras beads) to willing female exhibitionists. She said, "you boys are messin' with my beer sales. Take the margarita machine outa here and come on back."....so we did. She was a cool lady, bless her soul.

http://www.luckenbachtexas.com/hist...ved-sheriff-marge-a-real-texas-folk-hero

it was pretty deserted, but still kind of cool when we stopped in three years ago on the way back from fishing the Llano:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ltppowell Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
Originally Posted by hotsoup

Texas can sustain itself just fine without funds coming back to it that the gov't took in the first place.....mineral royalties from the OCS which would then be all Texas property, severance taxes, gasoline taxes, and of course all the income tax generated by a state whose economy is larger than that of Russia and just behind India. Plus the Texas legislature freed from federal mandates would quickly gas a large number of stupid programs.

ain't gonna happen, but if it did, Texas would be just fine.

As a matter of fact, most "Red" States would be fine. Unfortunately, the ticks now own the dog.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
In the mid eighties our typical route was leave Duddley's (NOT a Gay bar back then) in College Station around closing time and ride to Enchanted Rock overnight for the sunrise, dodging numerous deer on the way.

Clamber up ERock in the dark (they didn't used to lock the gate back then) and wait forever for the sunrise, often times of course we would fall asleep, rough granite not withstanding (that coarse grain is why te rock is still there, useless for building).

Then to Fredericksburg for breakfast, then ride the Willow City Loop and the like at lunatic speeds before Luckenbach in the afternoon. Often another nap under a tree.

I'm not recalling amps back then but there were some fine pickers who would show up to jam. All in all about the best place in the world to drink a beer in the shade.

Motorcycles too, including lots of cool ones,and old shovelhead riders still riding their old Shovels. All parked in the same space as today, just down from the dancehall. At that time the grassy field across from there was mostly empty, and the field behind the dancehall was still a field.

The old gas pumps were still out front and the old barn by the creek still standing after a fashion.

In the evening we would ride over to the Grapetown Road by way of that backroad and ride at dusk to the bat colony in the old railroad cut. You could sit on the edge IN the bat swarm as long as you could stand the ammonia stench. A dirt road past the bat colony led to a commune, or so the sign said, I never went.

Late eighties early nineties I would probably hit Luckenbach on my bike at least once a month, year round, riding up from San Antone via Boene and Sisterdale. Fond recollections of warming myself around the wood burning stove by the bar. Around that time the State took over the bat colony; bossy, heavyset women in ranger uniforms making sure everyone kept their distance on the bleachers and forbidding talking so as "not to disturb the bats".

Going to a Buckskinner event across the Guadalupe from Sisterdale last year I was appaled at how much that whole area is broken up into high-dollar "estates" now even away from the highway, and the creeping development north of Boerne is obvious along that highway. Let me put it this way, if the Luckenbach area were back East the whole area would be designated "shotgun only" for hunting, if such were possible at all.

Motorcycles stil congregate at Luckenbach, which is good, but in enough numbers now to clog the highways with packs of Harleys and assorted slow-moving cruisers (no slam here, just the way it is). The old gas pumps in front of the post office/general store are long gone. Across the street from the motorcycles that field is now dirt, packed with the aforementioned family-type vehicles every weekend, and the field behind the dancehall is a parking area now too.

When we were there last too it looked like some sort of Lesbian wedding ceremony(lots of rainbow-colored ribbons and stern-looking women) was being set up near the creek, where the barn used to stand (I hear it got washed away in a flood).

A stage with amps now dominates the area under the trees behind the bar where people used to sit and pick.

Big paved parking lots over by the railroad cut/bat tunnel now, and crowds awating the bats, only some of whom are allowed to sit on the bleachers nearer the cut ('spect you might be shot for sitting IN the bat swarm, beer in hand, like the old days).

A paved road past the bat cave now goes in where the commune road used to be, and a "classy" upscale sort of restaurant sits there, with the sort of people that patronize such places. Worse, that road also leads to a long residential loop, with I want to say two to five acre homesites. In fact I'm pretty sure I could have cut across the hills clear to Sisterdale without leaving pavement.

The Schutzen-Verein Rifle Range at least is still intact, and Grapetown Road itself doesn't look too bad clear down to the Comfort highway, and from that highway you can still take the back way through Welfare.

Up along 290 now are a number of wineries, we stopped in at a couple, but it must have been Lesbian Week or something, we were about the only "breeders" at the places we tried, maybe there was a connection with the Luckenbach ribbons, I dunno.

So no, it aint like it was, even as I knew it, and even less like it was when Jack Hayes and his boys got into it with Yellow Wolf's crew down by where Sisterdale is.

Restoring the whole area as a National Historic Shrine will of course take precedence in the new Republic wink

Birdwatcher
Posted By: BeanMan Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
When Colorado secedes we'll nationalize all non Coloradoan owned properties, especially those in our Southern Mountains. Lake City will be ours again, Y'all smile
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
In the mid eighties our typical route was leave Duddley's (NOT a Gay bar back then) in College Station
Birdwatcher

Don't get overly defensive, Bird, people will get the wrong idea. wink Hard to believe there IS a gay bar in College Station, although there's plenty of them in Austin due to the UT demand.

We stopped at Enchanted Rock on the same road trip...hadn't been there since I was a little shaver.....very cool place.
Posted By: eyeball Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Libturd Yankees have infiltrated the heartland. wink
Posted By: 16bore Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Texicans are funny...
Posted By: Mako25 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Well, as I've gotten to know the area I've relocated the business to, all I can say is - it's rich in history, and much of it revolves around the war of Northern Aggression >grins<.

Just today I paused at the statue in Hillsboro in front of the courthouse. Beautiful sculpture dedicated in the early 1900's to the soldiers of the Confederacy. When I left Hillsboro, I passed through Cleburne - named for fallen Confederate General, Patrick Cleburne. Then on to Granbury - named for fallen Confederate General, Hiram Granbury.

Cleburne, and Granbury were both killed within yards of one another at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, the battle which effectively ruined the Confederate Army of Tennesse. The loss was General Hood's swansong, and appropriately enough, Ft Hood is within an hour or Cleburne, or Granbury, TX.

*for the record, Hood, Cleburne, and Granbury, were all transplants to TX.
Posted By: noharleyyet Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Originally Posted by BeanMan
When Colorado secedes we'll nationalize all non Coloradoan owned properties, especially those in our Southern Mountains. Lake City will be ours again, Y'all smile

Oh no, not Lake City....might make an illegal immigrant out of me.
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Is Hondo's old 15 foot tall mailbox [airmail] still out in front?

The "clique" of regular musicians kinda fell apart as I recall when one of the ringleaders-David Hill if memory serves- hung himself in his jail cell the night before he was to testify for the state against one of the other guys.

was a guy named "Kimbo" or some such,not a big guy,that was as talented a picker as I ever saw.Fiddle,guitar,banjo,mandolin,dobro,harmonica.......I saw and listened to him play 'em all and he could have set in with ANYBODY.He was that good.

He had a good start in the studios in Austin,but just got too unreliable.I've often wondered if he ever got his life straightened out.

Damn dope.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Damn dope.

Yup.
Don't get overly defensive, Bird, people will get the wrong idea. wink

The thing is, we're talking the heartland of Texas here Steve.

On the university strip in College Station, near as I can tell, the Dixie Chicken (a student bar, for those who ain't familiar) remains much as it was. Back when I was there a buddy walked in on Halloween, came out and said "Everybody in there came as a cowboy" grin

And so it was, Country Western themed, an undergrad bar. Last time I was there this spring it weren't open yet but the only change I could see was that they had paved the alley next to the bar where they had used to throw all the old bottle caps, literally by the bucket load.

Next door is/was Duddley's Draw, and as one Freshman girl said back then.... "a place for old guys, professors, bikers, and grad students". There would alway be twenty or thirty motorcycles lined up right out front every night, the street in front of the bar was reserved for them, and inside was the most eclectic crowd you could imagine, Basically Toby Keith's song "I Love this Bar" would have fit it to a "T".

Basically, everyone who weren't a mainstream Country and Western Undergrad was in there, and some of THEM were in there too.

The wooden benches and porch railings out fron were all carved up with what seemed like generations of graffitti.

Basically the Dixie Chicken and Dudley's Draw were THE two classic Texas A&M bars, right across the street from campus

I have kept loose touch with A&M through the years through my students who went there over the decades. Eight years after I left, a former student graduating from there asked me if she could have the $100 bill I had left in the pages of my Thesis in the library stacks with a signed note saying "Leave this library right now and go throw a party, on me." (an old New York university tradition). Nobody ever looked at it in all that time grin

Anyways, from what I was told, Dudley's started going downhill with weekly "Gay nights". I have no idea how it is now, I do know that they no longer have motorcycle parking out front, or a motorcycle crowd. When I passed through this spring, Dud's weren't open yet either but the wooden benches out front, replaced probl'y a couple of times over since the old days, were strangely devoid of carvings....

One that WAS there was a big outline of a heart carved in the middle of the backrest,just as big as the backrest would allow. Inside that heart were two carved female symbols, side by side.

"Sigh"...... people can get any idea they want, I'm just reporting what is, is all.

Birdwatcher
Is Hondo's old 15 foot tall mailbox [airmail] still out in front?

Dunno, I'll check next time I pass that way. As long as I;ve been going there's been a bust of Hondo Crouch right by the front porch, usually adorned with a cloth bandanna.

I would expect the mailbox would be easy enough to keep in place that it oughtta still be there.

I shouldn't be too hard on the place. The folks running Luckenbach have plainly been struggling hard with the cards they have been dealt. Makng money hand over fist for sure, but trying to keep Luckenbach, Luckenbach as best they can depite all those crowds of people.

Closer to my home Floore's Country Store in Helotes for example has had an easier time of it, quietly surviving intact while developement has sprung up all around. But see, Floores is basically just an old bar and music club, and thats all it is.

Luckenbach is a whole area, a place you go visit in the daytime.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Redneck Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Originally Posted by BarryC
The states would be wise to begin secretly planning their exits from the Union. .
Yes.. I've contacted our Governor to ask if it's at least being considered or talked about.. Better to be ready to go instead of having to actually begin the process and not have a plan..
Posted By: temmi Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
I wish we could... but we could not even control our borders.

We are back in... even if the US let us go.

Snake
Posted By: atvalaska Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
funny we've been kicking around the idea of secede'ing for years....from the lower 48....and hooking up with the yokon...
Posted By: hatari Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I forgot about the Poobah....(how could I)? You will be in charge of sentencing of convicts, and public humiliation of those who we deem necessary to receive it. I'll give you plenty of rope, so feel free to humiliate any stupid POS you feel necessary.

Oh yeah, the position comes with a furnished 3/4 ton p/u with a gun rack in the rear window like the good 'ol days.

Can I apply for a visa?
Posted By: ChetAF Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/16/12
I think this is a great idea. I have been advocating for a border fence around the north side of Texas for years.....to keep the Texans out of the rest of the country.

Chet
Posted By: stxhunter Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
And God Created Texas . . .

God was missing for six days. Eventually, Michael, the archangel, found him, resting on the seventh day.

He inquired, "Where have you been?"

God smiled deeply and proudly pointed downwards through the clouds,
"Look, Michael. Look what I've made."

Archangel Michael looked puzzled, and said, "What is it?"

"It's a planet," replied God, and I've put life on it. I'm going to call it Earth and it's going to be a place to test Balance."

"Balance?" inquired Michael, "I'm still confused."

God explained, pointing to different parts of Earth. "For example, northern Europe will be a place of great opportunity and wealth, while southern Europe is going to be poor.
Over here I've placed a continent of white people, and over there is a continent of black people. Balance in all things."

God continued pointing to different countries. "This one will be extremely hot, while this one will be very cold and covered in ice."

The Archangel, impressed by God's work, then pointed to a land area and said, "What's that one?"

"That's Texas, the most glorious place on earth. There are beautiful mountains, rivers and streams, lakes, forests, hills, and plains. The people from Texas are going to be handsome, modest, intelligent, humorous, but proud and they are going to travel the world. They will be extremely sociable, hardworking, high achieving, carriers of peace, and producers of good things."

Michael gasped in wonder and admiration, but then asked, "But what about balance, God? You said there would be balance."

God smiled, "I will create Washington, DC. Wait
till you see the fools I put there."

[Linked Image]
Posted By: temmi Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
God bless Texas
Posted By: ChetAF Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Or as John Steinbeck once said, "Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.�

Chet
Originally Posted by Chetaf
Or as John Steinbeck once said, "Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.�

Chet

[Linked Image]

This is why
Posted By: JGRaider Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Originally Posted by hatari

Can I apply for a visa?

Been out a few days......pesky customers. smile

I'll have a cabinet position for you too. Head coach of our National Republic baseball team for starters......we're gonna keep scoring even when we're ahead by 15. We're not out to make friends on the field.

I'm also probably going to offer SteveNO the Republic Atty General position at the same time.
Posted By: Scott F Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12

6. I must be getting old. I clearly remember designing the master key system and master keying the first eight Fabs of Intel in Beaverton, OR. Then just down the street was that little Mom and Pop place I did a bunch of lock work for, think it was called Tectronics.

12. The Pac NW has a cow or two, grows a little grain and I see a vegetable or two around here. I will admit Texas has some seafood, I have eaten it there and it was OK, not nearly as good and our cold water seafood from that little pond called Puget Sound and the Pacific ocean but if that was the best Texas could do it was better than no sea food.

Guess you got us on number 14. No real ports on the West Coast. wink

And as far as munitions go, Google Indian Island, WA. Then look at what we have hidden at Banger, WA. Enough there to turn Texas into a glass museum.
Posted By: Jeff_O Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
I'll take the PNW over Texas any day. I love the West in general, and the Southwest is where my heartstrings still attach, but that's NOT Texas.

Texas is a Southern state that likes to play cowboy dress-up. There's no public land, the people are shallow, it's too damn humid, and west Texas is just glad when it finally becomes New Mexico.

Posted By: norm99 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
well Scott you'll just have to have a reciprocal treaty Texas got to have somethin yall need grin
Posted By: Texas99 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Of course, those who don't like Texas are VERY welcome to stay away! We won't miss you hardly at all! By the way, the amount of public land in Texas equals more than the land area of any several other states, the people are much less shallow than some criticizing them, much of the state - even when not in a drought - is very much NOT humid, and poor New Mexico only wishes it were part of our state.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Sir,

I have spent most of my life in Texas, so clearly this has been my choice, but let us not loop off into flights of fantasy.

To whit....

much of the state - even when not in a drought - is very much NOT humid

I just happen to be in the midst of an excellent seminar on the science of building construction and why, for example, much of the stuff guys like Bob Villa do on their homebuilding shows is exactly WRONG for hot and humid climates.....

...like Texas. Turns out in places like the parts of Texas where most Texans live MOST of the humidity in our homes come fron the outside in form of water vapor.

Such that Texas homes don't dry OUT, they dry IN. IOW, the common use of impermeable linings on hhe inside of our walls like vinyl-based wallpaper invariable results in mold problems
due to water vapor migrating in, even through substances such as brick, and condensing beneath the vinyl.

In the same way, un-vented crawl-spaces here stay DRIER than vented ones, and if you DO have a vented crawl space beneath you house, MOST of any water/moisture problems inside your home are coming from the outside air, through the vents in your crawl space, and up through the floor and inside the walls.

This all backed by empirical data. Cool stuff.

Anyhoo.... this very image was presented therein...

[Linked Image]

Note the cities in Texas NOT officially hot and humid.... um....

Amarillo....
El Paso....
Lubbock.... grin

As for public lands, here ya go. Note that the blue spots in Central Texas are Fort Hood and Camp Bullis, so not public lands in the common use of the word.

[Linked Image]

Also note that the largest area in the State, Big Bend National Park, is subject to all the usage constrainst of a typical National Park, including no hunting to speak of and in any case is HUNDREDS 0f miles away from most Texans.

As a school teacher I deal with this issue every year. If I wanna take kids hiking/camping, there are basically two postage stamps available with 100 miles...

Lost Maples State Natural Area.... 2,174 acres
Enchanted Rock State Natural Area... 1,644 acres

Lost Maples ain't bad, you can get ten miles by doing both loop trails. ALL of the parks here are gonna be packed tho, every weekend. See, we dont HAVE any public land, to speak of.

Serious acreage like Big Bend Ranch (301,000 acres) or Palo Duro/Caprock Canyons (maybe 50,000 acres combined) are so far away (like 500 miles), they might as well be in another state.

Other Western States; seems like half the state is public land, including New Mexico.

Birdwatcher
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Texass does lead the nation in hot air..

Not going to be any argument there.
Posted By: noharleyyet Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
I'll take the PNW over Texas any day. I love the West in general, and the Southwest is where my heartstrings still attach, but that's NOT Texas.

Texas is a Southern state that likes to play cowboy dress-up. There's no public land, the people are shallow, it's too damn humid, and west Texas is just glad when it finally becomes New Mexico.

Isn't most of Oregan on suicide watch? cry
Posted By: Texas99 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Damn! And all those times I've been in South Texas, or down around Brownsville, and thought it was dry and dusty, I was wrong? Texas has examples of nearly every climatic condition except an icepack, in various parts of the state. My in laws in Wichita Falls don't worry a lot about humidity. Gets kinda dusty in San Antonio, too, don't it?

By the way, except for some temporary assignments to Louisiana, I've lived ALL of my 62 years in Texas.

Yes, public use areas may be spread out, the whole state sort of is. I live where it normally is humid, on the upper coast, and we've had burn bans most of the last two years. I also have two WMA's within 20 miles of my home. They aren't open full time to hunters, but there are draw hunts available. Except in far west Texas, we don't have that much land that nobody wants to own, BUT a lot of public school funding does come from public lands, I think?

My original premise stands, anybody who doesn't like Texas is free to stay away - or leave.

I once knew a fellow from England who lived in coastal Texas. He had been all over the world in "Her Majesty's Service". I told him I thought I would like to try living in South or Central America. He said he been there, and in his opinion Texas was the best place in the world to live.

Guess he was shallow, and liked humidity? No accounting for tastes, huh?
All joking aside, Texas is a place that has a beauty beyond it physical appearance.
It is a special place and some get it and some don�t.

It is easy to be jealous of Texas and I can see why.

Sometimes we Texcans are a tad over the top� sometimes cause we play a part and sometimes the love for our home overtakes us.

Once Texas was from the gulf coast to Montana

We are smaller now but always Texas

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Bumper sticker seen in Colorado: "If Texas is so great, why are they all here?"
Posted By: noharleyyet Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Bumper sticker seen in Colorado: "If Texas is so great, why are they all here?"

Mostly you see, "We Thought Texans Were Bad til California Invaded"
Originally Posted by Texas99
Damn! And all those times I've been in South Texas, or down around Brownsville, and thought it was dry and dusty, I was wrong? Texas has examples of nearly every climatic condition except an icepack, in various parts of the state. My in laws in Wichita Falls don't worry a lot about humidity. Gets kinda dusty in San Antonio, too, don't it?

By the way, except for some temporary assignments to Louisiana, I've lived ALL of my 62 years in Texas.

Yes, public use areas may be spread out, the whole state sort of is. I live where it normally is humid, on the upper coast, and we've had burn bans most of the last two years. I also have two WMA's within 20 miles of my home. They aren't open full time to hunters, but there are draw hunts available. Except in far west Texas, we don't have that much land that nobody wants to own, BUT a lot of public school funding does come from public lands, I think?

My original premise stands, anybody who doesn't like Texas is free to stay away - or leave.

I once knew a fellow from England who lived in coastal Texas. He had been all over the world in "Her Majesty's Service". I told him I thought I would like to try living in South or Central America. He said he been there, and in his opinion Texas was the best place in the world to live.

Guess he was shallow, and liked humidity? No accounting for tastes, huh?

Hold on there a second pardoner. I never said I didn't like Texas, I just said it is not everything in the world. You say you have live most of your life in Texas. I have live in or spent serious time in all fifty states. Hard to have a good opinion of places you have never been.

I like Texas and I like Texans as a rule. I just spent a wonderful weekend with several Texans and there was not a one of them who would not be welcomed to put there feet under my table and any time.

But fair is fair and this is a free country. I gave 24 years of service to keep it this way. You are entitled to your opinions even if they seem somewhat narrow to some of up who have been around longer than you and actually seen the rest of this country. smile
Posted By: JGRaider Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Seriously, there are a lot of things I love about Texas, and a lot of things I'd change. I've lived in 6-7 states and it's that way everywhere I've been. It is hard to argue with, however, how business friendly Texas is, how great our economy is, how inexpensive the cost of living is, and the loads of great people who live here. It's common knowledge that the New Mexicans and Coloradoans don't care for Texans. Jealousy is an ugly thing.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
10-4 on that
Seriously, there are a lot of things I love about Texas, and a lot of things I'd change. I've lived in 6-7 states and it's that way everywhere I've been. It is hard to argue with, however, how business friendly Texas is, how great our economy is, how inexpensive the cost of living is, and the loads of great people who live here. It's common knowledge that the New Mexicans and Coloradoans don't care for Texans. Jealousy is an ugly thing.

I agree, Texas is a great place and I have enjoyed every visit I have made there. I still have many good friends who are life long Texans.

I just like the PNW for year around living the best of any other place I have been.
Forgot to add, one of the things I appreciate about Texans is their manners. While visiting with Texans around the fire in NM last weekend I even commented to Blue about how his respectful way of speaking. The rest of the country would be a lot better places to live if we learned for Texas.
Posted By: eyeball Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/17/12
Yea Scott, especially if those up north could learn to make good white gravy.
Posted By: Scott F Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12
grin
Posted By: roundoak Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12

Robert Duvall's character, Charlie Sieber, in the movie Geronimo did not like Texans either. "Must be Texans, lowest form of white man there is." grin

I have a couple service buddies in Texas and they have shown me a lot of Texas over the years. Great families, great friends.

Now that my youngest daughter resides there, I am even more partial to Texas.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12
We've got lots of NG and coal fired powerplants, even a refinery of our own. Heck our windmills alone will save us... whistle

Thought Texass belonged to the United States of "New" Mexico anyways.

We have detroit. That's an awful big turd in the punch bowl.
Posted By: Mac84 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12

+1, well done jorge1. I think we ought to consider Louisiana and Oklahoma for entry into the Republic. Coonasses can cook like no other, and that's important. To answer the questions about "what do you guys do about _______", we have crude oil and nat gas running out our ears. We'll just trade with whichever state that has what we need. There are quite a few good Yanks around here that deserve honorary citizenship though...nsaqam, BobinNH, and a few others. I'll be the president. We'll have a flat tax, ID to vote, no green card and your azz is back to wherever you came from, no muslims no matter how nice they are or how long they've been here, if you deserve welfare benefits you'll be drug tested and have to pick up trash or something similar in order to collect your check. smile

Sign me up JG but can y'all do somthing about the heat? Actually, I should be used to it given the summer we're having.
Posted By: eyeball Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12
It's a dry heat.
Posted By: Texas99 Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12
Most Texans don't think it is "everything in the world", but we like what it is. I could be happy living in many other states, and I don't bad mouth other places - whether I've been there or not. I also don't like it when others bad mouth Texas, especially those who haven't been here, or haven't been here much. Goes back to that "manners' thing somebody mentioned.
Those who bad mouth Texas jest ain't right.

Mountains an desert, timber and sea, Texas, I reckon, is enough f'er me.
Posted By: Rancho_Loco Re: If/when Texas secedes - 07/18/12
hills and the gulf ain't mountains and a sea...

but you go on.
Keep talking. It feels good.
© 24hourcampfire