Home
Anyone know what brand-model makes a good choice for emergency radio? Should it have a CB as well? I was thinking it should. Would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.
Posted By: DELGUE Re: Emergncy Radio Suggestions - 08/01/12
Not sure what kind of an emergency radio you are talking about?

You talkin like a small walkie talkie, or a weather radio, or a marine radio, or what?
Posted By: denton Re: Emergncy Radio Suggestions - 08/01/12
CB is at 27 MHz and uses amplitude modulation. That makes for a pretty messy neighborhood. Compared with the FRS/GMRS hand helds, the antennas are much bigger, and there is much more interference to cope with.

The FRS/GMRS hand helds operate at 462-467 MHz using frequency modulation. It's a much more quiet neighborhood and efficient antennas are fairly small.

Posted By: Plinker Re: Emergncy Radio Suggestions - 08/01/12
I have CB's to communicate with family when there is a major phone or cell outage. It is AM, SSB and has a few extra features.
Posted By: denton Re: Emergncy Radio Suggestions - 08/01/12
Yes, SSB has significant advantages over both AM and FM.
Yup, SSB, Now and forever.

20 and 40 M capability,...... right in there, too.

GTC
Posted By: 2ndwind Re: Emergncy Radio Suggestions - 08/01/12
Getting the first level Ham radio licence is EASY..... Dual band 2 meter and 440 hand held radios are out there for under $100.00 now..... They will provide several miles of simplex communication and over 100 mile through repeaters.... Some repeaters are Internet linked and you can talk withother Hams from around the World..... My wife spoke with a gentleman from Northern Ireland on her commute home tonight.......

You can get a good look at the tests here

http://www.hamradiolicenseexam.com/try-it.htm

I liked Gordon West's study guides better.... They cost 20 something each..... The exam cost $14.00..... You can study for and take all 3 levels at the same time for 14.00 or if you get close on one level but don't pass, you can pay another 14.00 to retest on the spot.....
I got Motorola radios. I would suggest getting really good batteries for emergency purposes. Mine's from here http://www.discounttwo-wayradio.com/batteries-motorola
© 24hourcampfire