Home
Posted By: xxclaro Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
There's been a couple of big skunks hangin around my place,and I want em dead!They come right up on the porch,looking for leftovers from the cat.If the cat is eating, it'll run it right off and take over.So,I could shoot it, but that's liable to end up in a stink,landlord might not be impressed.
Was talking to my dad about this,he said he'd been told fly bait/poison mixed into some food will kill them dead and right quick too.Any truth to this? I can often see them coming from the bush to check out the porch for food,so I could have it readyand put it out so that no neighbourhood pets are endangered,even though that's unlikely here.Any other suggestions?
Posted By: Scott F Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Box trap with solid or covered sides. When caught you can move them and release of just sink trap in a pond or creek.
I know a guy that used to trap skunks at all the local turkey farms (skunk heaven)

He'd approach the live skunk in a foot trap and shoot it broadside and pretty far back "right at the last rib prety much gut shot" he said, with a .22 short from a revolver.

Thats was what he settled on for his sprayless skunk death method.

I've never tried it.

Posted By: poboy Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Skunks are a gamble. No guarantees. The Animal Control Contractors usually live-trap 'em and hit 'em with a syringe. It's expensive and rightfully so. I've heard northern dave's method many times, but it's still iffy. Good luck amigo.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Remove the food source, and the skunks will leave. Feed the cat INside the house. Fixes the problem and you don't get skunked.
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
catch them in a live trap then put a heavy duty trash bag over the end of the trap and open it with a stick to get the skunk in the bag. now find the car of a person you really hate and need to get even with and toss the bag and skunk in the car. be sure to leave the bag untied so mister skunk can get out.
ratsmacker's cure is best.
Number 1 carrier of rabies.
They gotta go.

Is there a woodlot? Pour food along their trail and put an end to coming all the way to the porch. Feed them there for a few days.

Once they're trained dig a post hole about a foot wide and 6 ft deep right next to the food bowl. Head shot from the correct angle might roll 'em right down the hole but if not ease 'em over the edge with a stick and shovel in the dirt.

If no wood lot is available the neighbor's back yard will just have to do. smile

Posted By: benchman Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Head shot (behind the ear), and they probably won't spray. DO NOT GRAB A HIND LEG.Don't ask how I know this.
LOL, somebody said if you get their back feet off the ground, they physically cannot spray. Good luck wit dat.
Posted By: mudhen Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
I had a student that would remove them from live traps by grabbing the tail and hoisting them out. We used squirrel sized Hav-a-Harts so that they couldn't spray while in the trap. He never got sprayed. However, I recommend catching them in the live traps and drowning them.

If you break their back, they can't spray either, and I have dispatched a couple with a .22 long rifle that way, but I had a couple of others where the spine was not hit and those did spray. I went to using a 12-gauge shotgun with No. 4 buckshot. If you center them in the pattern, they die instantly and don't spray.

If your farm store carries a fly poison called Golden Malrin, they will eat it and it will kill them pretty quickly. I used it in our horse barn up in Nebraska and some of the skunks and coons didn't make it but 4 or 5 ft from the pan before expiring.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Golden Henry, or Blued Ruger works nearly as well as Golden Marlin - but in a different way.

Shoot 'em.
Experimentin' around with 'em is great if you don't have any females or friends in your life. If I tell the old lady I caught one, she can smell it for days. If I don't mention it, I'm usually good, using gloves and a long limb.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by mudhen
I had a student that would remove them from live traps by grabbing the tail and hoisting them out. We used squirrel sized Hav-a-Harts so that they couldn't spray while in the trap. He never got sprayed. However, I recommend catching them in the live traps and drowning them.

If you break their back, they can't spray either, and I have dispatched a couple with a .22 long rifle that way, but I had a couple of others where the spine was not hit and those did spray. I went to using a 12-gauge shotgun with No. 4 buckshot. If you center them in the pattern, they die instantly and don't spray.

If your farm store carries a fly poison called Golden Malrin, they will eat it and it will kill them pretty quickly. I used it in our horse barn up in Nebraska and some of the skunks and coons didn't make it but 4 or 5 ft from the pan before expiring.

Thats the stuff I heard about,with similar results. How do you get them to eat it,or is that not a problem?
Posted By: Winnie Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
We have a live cage set up with cat food inside. Possums and skunks are taken out back and dispatched with 22lr into the back of the head, near the ear. Have not been sprayed yet.
Have not been sprayed yet.

Well - sez you. grin
Posted By: mudhen Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by xxclaro
Originally Posted by mudhen

Thats the stuff I heard about,with similar results. How do you get them to eat it,or is that not a problem?

If they're eating cat food, just put out a pan of it where the cat food was. They eat it readily.
Posted By: denton Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
About 3:00 a.m. my SIL came up from the downstairs bedroom that he and my daughter were camping in to announce that there was a skunk in the window well, and it couldn't get out.

Fortunately, we had some doggy downers left from flying our pooch out here. One was supposed to be enough for a 25 pound beagle. I pressed 2 into a Rice Crispy treat, and tossed it in. A while later, I was able to put a board into the window well so it could climb out. Next morning it was gone.

Living in town, I've discovered that offing raccoons with a 22 is less likely to draw attention if you do it around July 4 and late at night.
Posted By: eyeball Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
I've heard you can trap them in the open at night in the hot summer and leave them in the trap through a hot day and they take a dirt nap without spraying.
Living in town, I've discovered that offing raccoons with a 22 is less likely to draw attention if you do it around July 4 and late at night.

>chuckle<

Tricky as coons are, they'll learn right-quick not to spend the 4th at your place.

Now, invest in a good pellet gun..........
Posted By: luvrifles Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Were there is one there are more. Get rid of the food source.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/04/12
Originally Posted by xxclaro
There's been a couple of big skunks hangin around my place,and I want em dead!They come right up on the porch,looking for leftovers from the cat.

Why not just change how you feed the cat? Easy enough and a permanent, no muss, no fuss solution. Pretty simple really
Posted By: ShortMagFan Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
I have an old shed on my farm where i store some hunting stuff.

Saw a skunk outside it once but never more than a large rat inside it.

I put out a couple of one pound blocks of rat poison and left the box with 2 more one pound blocks sitting on the shelf

Well, something (skunk or coon i am guessing) got in there and not only ate the 2 pounds of rat poison i left out, but also took the box outside and tore into it to get the other 2 pounds.

Ever since then i have not seen a mouse or rat, but i do leave a few chunks of rat poison in it every time i go to the farm and they are always gone when i return

They (rats, skunks, coons, possum(?)) have now consumed 8 pounds of rat poison. I dont know if they are immune or if i am making a dent in the rodent population

I am quite cautious when i walk in the door. Waiting for the day when i peek in and there is a skunk inside there
Posted By: Jericho Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
My friends grandparents lived next a wooded area for years
and would see a skunk every now and then. When the wood lot
was sold and they started building apartments, it was like
skunk city, 6 or 7 in the yard almost every night. The GC
trapped them and syringed them.
Posted By: rockchucker Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
mix the golden martin fly bait with a can of dr pepper. coons and skunks die very quickly
Posted By: Ravenr2 Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
have killed 3 so far this year
used a 12gauge, a.22 and my 375H&H
on the last one.
Didn't smell a thing...
Posted By: loborojo Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
Fair warning on the fly bait, it will also kill every cat or dog that gets into it. And they will get into it.
Posted By: 1OntarioJim Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/05/12
We used to live on a ravine lot in the city. Behind the house was 17 acres of municipal woodlot. Lots of coons and skunks. Neighbour was live trapping coons and transplanting them out of the area.

One hot summer morning he went out and found a skunk in the trap. Since we were in the city we couldn't shoot it. He called an animal control person and asked him to come out. He couldn't make it for two or three hours so we sat around waiting. During this time the skunk was pacing back and forth in the cage. By the time the animal control guy got there the skunk was dead. The a.c guy told us that skunks have a very high metabolism rate and that during hot weather, if left alone, they would work themselves up to the point they would roll over and die.

When weather conditions weren't favourable he suggested putting a cover over the cage and very, very gently moving the cage into the back of a pickup. He then took them to a gravel pit and opened one end of the cage so the skunk could get out. A 12 ga. finished the project.

I can understand why they want a big dollar for these removals.

Jim
Posted By: 1096here Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
I have a barn on the acreage where a passel of cats live. I feed them in the barn, usually when I go to work. If I have to feed them after dark I always have a .22 along. It has a dutch door so I leave the top part open and peek in before entering. Caught a few possums and skunks at the food bowls this way. The skunks usually spray as they kick the bucket. We can smell it clear up to the house which is a good hundred yards away.
Wife doesn't like the smell but she hates the skunks worse.
Last summer I popped one in the back yard in the middle of the afternoon. Kinda scary to have one out in the middle of the day.
I'm glad I live in the country.
Posted By: laker Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/302793/Lets_talk_about_skunk_dispatch
Posted By: CRS Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
Originally Posted by rockchucker
mix the golden martin fly bait with a can of dr pepper. coons and skunks die very quickly

yep, it works
I have found that a live trap works well. I always leave enough bait ,I mean last meal fixins to make em slow down. Then in the morning I slip a blanket over the trap with a long pole and then I lay some plastic over top of the blanket.Start the truck and give em 5 minutes. O I almost for got to mention the pipe between the truck exhaust and the trap. Puts em right to sleep no stink. 2 years ago I caught 13 skunks and 9 coons. This year I have 3 skunks so far, but expecting more. All the dogs around here give the paws up.Can't discharge weapons n city limits and wouldn't want to damage the trap by shootin at it any way.
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
maybe it was just an odd skunk, but we had a pet one for awhile when i was a kid, stepbrother went to retrieve him outa the neighbors yard and grabbed him by the tail and hoisted him up off the ground, he was used to us, but maybe it was the neighbor lady screaming that got the skunk riled up. Anyhoo he didn't seem to give a chit his feet were off the ground, he doused my stepbrother but good! lmao

we had some working coon hounds, but my old man had strange notions about what makes a pet, had 3-4 raccoons, a chinchilla, that skunk, a bat and a litter of coyote pups we raised.

he's on marriage number 4 or 5 (i've lost count) and not too many exotic critters around the last few years, typical stuff, some dogs, a few chickens, few calves and for awhile a buncha minature burros

had a magnetic sign on his truck that said "half azz farm"
Posted By: stray round Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
Originally Posted by BrentD
Why not just change how you feed the cat? Easy enough and a permanent, no muss, no fuss solution. Pretty simple really

This.

As long as you are putting food out you will be attracting something to hang around.
Posted By: ColsPaul Re: Skunks...want em dead! - 08/06/12
Scott's trapping method works well.
Use a solid box trap ( not a havahart )
They won't spray in confined trap.
I trapped as many as 7 a week in my Euclid Ohio duplex.
1/2 a block west of City Hall!

I placed the trap in a huge plastic shipping peanut bag.
Tied it off to the tailpipe of my truck.
Started her up and inflated it.
Go inside for a cup of coffee and come out and drump deceased skunk into the garbage.
Re set the trap and repeat
© 24hourcampfire