Home
I was outside powerwashing my driveway tonight and got to thinking about the hose I had connected to my powerwasher. I bought it from Sears in 1976 or '77 when I lived in Kansas City. I don't remember what it cost. It seemed a little expensive, but I wanted something that would last. Yes, it has lasted. I think it will last 15 more years, if I do.

A couple of years ago I replaced the fitting on one end, but it's still going strong and showing no signs of wearing out. It hasn't been babied either. I've left it outside all winter a few times. Normally it's coiled around a tire rim on the inside wall of my garage, and , and I never drain all the water out of it and my northern Pennsylvania garage isn't heated.

So, that's at least 35 years for a garden hose. Not bad.

If we can call a hose a tool, what's the best tool you ever bought?

Steve.

19 bucks use it till it wears out and buy another.

[Linked Image]
Would have to say my 1981 Miller Big 40 Welding Machine, and the deck that's carried it on three different chassis..

Glad it does not have an hour meter,....I really don't want to know. Drives as hard and clean an arc today as when it when it was brand new and spankity clean.

It's on the patio behind the shop, getting refurbished / serviced, as we peck.

"Attack of the Packrat" was a real low point.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Little Bastid,....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Posted By: okok Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
Table saw with Delta fence.
Greg - was tha "Attack of the Packrat" the cause of the flag being at half-mast in the final picture?

Hope you and Gracie are doing well.

Mark
I don't know if it's the best tool I've ever had, but it's the best $80 I've spent in a long time. I've beat the crap out of it on jobs in california, montana and mexico, and it's still dead on.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by stxhunter

[Linked Image]

Those things are awesome!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
The handy gadget....screw it on your bed and it does the housework for you wink
Original Leatherman
Set of Snap-on wrenches in 1974 when I was 18. They have served me well.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

[Linked Image]

i've cut 10s of thousands of feet of tile with those, using a diamond blade.
A 12 gauge shotgun.
I finally killed my harbor freight one and that took some doing..
I bought an electric 1/2" impact wrench from Sears in 1978 and it is still going strong. Just rotated the tires on our 1 ton Dodge and it sure is nice to let the impact wrench do the job.
A bostitch framing nail gun that I paid $50 for off of e-bay. I've built everything from decks to doghouses with that thing.
Originally Posted by eh76

lol
Here's another in the running.. Bought one of these about 20 years ago and it's an awesome creation. I'll probably get another 30 years out of it on it's current sharpening schedule.

Crank Neck Chisel

if anyone does any serious woodworking around here, i highly suggest you don't look around this website. It will suck real hard on your wallet.
Originally Posted by logger
I bought an electric 1/2" impact wrench from Sears in 1978 and it is still going strong. Just rotated the tires on our 1 ton Dodge and it sure is nice to let the impact wrench do the job.

I have an Ingersoll and Rand electric impact wrench that my father had in the shop. It was old in the 60's, heavy too, still works outstandingly well. makes rotating tires a snap. use it with an appropriate socket on the jack and raise CRV in a flash.

Given I didn't actually buy it, I reckon the Honda 214 series mower I bought 11 + years ago for $100 is the best. Smoked like a dang forest fire for the first 10 seconds, but never had to change the oil, just add as necessary after about 3-4 cuttings.

After sitting outside for more than 5 years under blue tarp and a quick rinse of the fuel tank, it started on the 1st pull! I was pretty shocked. As well with the smoking now magically stopped. Still a 1 to 2 pull start. I always run it out of gas by turning off the gas on the last few passes across the lawn and letting it die out.

"Getcha self a Honda, built like a watch thats meant to last a hundred years...."
My Dremel tool. I bought a kit with the flexible shaft and got the chain saw sharpening attachment.
Another handy dandy.

[Linked Image]
Last but not least.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
Can't decide the best tool I ever bought because I bought 100s if not a thousand tools. This is the best tool I didn't buy.

[Linked Image]

The shop I worked at 25 years ago, who also are my neighbors gave it to me in fine working order. The reason for getting rid of it, not fast enough for them.
Probably either the Model 39 Marlin or the Model 8 Merkel
After pulling and twisting miles of stainless wire, these things quickly became the handiest tool in the box when they came out with them years and years ago. I could probably say every Snap-On tool I bought was the best, but this one ranks way, way up there. Of course it was about half the $$$ when I bought mine.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...7&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
Probably my Snap-On ratcheting screwdrivers. Bought in the early 90's; still going strong.

I bought a simple framing hammer around that time that I've built multiple building with... darn thing is still on the first handle!
Posted By: RWE Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
The American Shillelagh

[Linked Image]
the Snap-On ratcheting screwdriver I believe is now nearly $100. I bought one when they first came out (I believe it was 1989) for about $35, and I was feeding my Snap-On guy crap about that price. Mine got a lot of use, and I've had to have it replaced twice, of course no charge.
porta-band

love it

[Linked Image]
Poulan chain saw. Bought it in 1974 to custom cut firewood, back when people in NH and VT were buying those Swedish Jotel stoves that produced a lot of creosote and chimney fires. I've replaced the gaskets, springs, and air filter a couple of times, but other than that all I need to do is fill it with 30-1 pre-mix, bar & chain oil, and keep the chain sharp.

Jeff
Makita compound miter saw.
18 volt Makita compact impact driver.

http://www.amazon.com/Makita-LXDT04...r=1-5&keywords=makita+impact+drivers
Posted By: rkamp Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12

Plan C, real handy on fence work also.

[Linked Image]
Trojan
Tie between the VCDS (nee Vag-Com) VW/Audi diagnostic computer program and QuickLOAD.

I guess QuickLOAD doesn't qualify as my copy was given to me by a very fine member here.
I didn't 'buy' it, but ...

My human left hand.
This Tool is pretty pricey. wink

[Linked Image]
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^

I'll need both hands for that!
Hudson bay ax.
Posted By: EdM Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
This.

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...2&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog
Lawnboy 2cycle push mower.
You all know what this is and how useful this is don't you?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin
My woodshop is pretty full of great tools. But the heart and soul of the shop is the Powermatic 66 cabinet saw that I bought used back in the '90's. It is awesome!

PM66
I think it's a tie between the Dyna-King "Pro" vise

[Linked Image]

and the Gransfors Bruks "Scandinavian Forest Axe".

[Linked Image]
This little item is a must have.... Precision oiler

No, I do not sell these...I have however purchased a few for oiling my pocketknives.

I have given a few away as gifts for others to do the same.
The stuff we take for granted. Hammers, screwdrivers, and pliers. Boy it sure makes a job easier!
I don't know what I'd do anymore without my DeWalt 18volt rechargeable drill. You simply can't have a house without one of these.
Posted By: rob p Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
The best tool must be the tool you use most often. I would give that to a Klein multi bit screwdriver. I use one every day, and probably still have the first one I ever bought. The Sears version is crap and I've stripped the bits. You'll definitely notice the difference in quality and it's worth the extra $$$.

The second best tool, and I've thought more about this one is an adjustable wrench. A multi bit screw driver and an adjustable wrench would probably cover 50% of what you need to do in life. I had to think on this a little, because a retractable tape measure and a claw hammer would be up high on the list too.
Originally Posted by rob p
The best tool must be the tool you use most often. I would give that to a Klein multi bit screwdriver. I use one every day, and probably still have the first one I ever bought. The Sears version is crap and I've stripped the bits. You'll definitely notice the difference in quality and it's worth the extra $$$.

The second best tool, and I've thought more about this one is an adjustable wrench. A multi bit screw driver and an adjustable wrench would probably cover 50% of what you need to do in life. I had to think on this a little, because a retractable tape measure and a claw hammer would be up high on the list too.
That's about right. I carry a 12" crescent, a claw hammer, a Craftsman adjustable wrench of some sort (don't know what they call it but it is their weird version of an adjustable wrench with a floppy head) and a multi-tool in my tractor cab.
On my old open-station tractor, I carry with me a good-sized pair of channel locks, a regular pair of pliers, a knife, a 10" crescent and a 6" crescent.

When Klein came out with the extended and the stubby 6 in 1 screwdrivers, I had to have them. They even had a promotion that if you bought 2, you got a klein knife. I don't use the stubby very often, but before I even walk into a job, the extended 6 in 1 goes into my back pocket.
Probably the one I got when I was born. Lasts a lifetime, never wears out, only comes in white though.....
Originally Posted by amax155

When Klein came out with the extended and the stubby 6 in 1 screwdrivers, I had to have them. They even had a promotion that if you bought 2, you got a klein knife. I don't use the stubby very often, but before I even walk into a job, the extended 6 in 1 goes into my back pocket.
I've got one of those Klein screwdrivers, somewhere. Klein had a factory located about two miles from my house. They built another in Mexico or China or someplace and moved production there. This was after their tax abatement ran out. I remember when the plant was built. Lots of jobs lost. Klein made good tools, even if mainly unaffordable for all but professionals.

Do your research before you get one of these. Most models are noisy and maintenance is hell. The newer models look great in the store but don't work as advertised when you get 'em home. And if return it you'll still be paying for years.
Tools I'll never be without...sawzall, angle hand grinder & a good compressor...
Two of my Uncles were electricians, and I helped them a lot. All the electricians had a belt full of Klein screwdrivers. I kind of figured way back then that they were good. I like the handles. They put a black rubber sleeve over the plastic that's very kind on the fingers. I had a set of NAPA screwdrivers with rubber handles and destroyed all of them. The Kleins hold up.
I had to learn the hard way, that Kleins are cheaper in the long run. I started off with cheaper China made tools and within 6 months all had to be replaced.

[Linked Image]

i've cut 10s of thousands of feet of tile with those, using a diamond blade.

I actually buy them for the shop in a production use. They last long enough till someone drops one off a tank, drives something over it, or flips a hunk of steel that weighs 20,000 lbs over on it.
Originally Posted by 16bore
Probably the one I got when I was born. Lasts a lifetime, never wears out, only comes in white though.....

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but they do wear out. I used to cut diamonds with mine and now it won't cut hot butter.
Originally Posted by MColeman
Originally Posted by 16bore

I hate to be the one to break the news to you but they do wear out. I used to cut diamonds with mine and now it won't cut hot butter.

Another version: "It used to get so hard a cat couldn't scratch it." grin
Originally Posted by 2muchgun
You all know what this is and how useful this is don't you?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

grin

OK I'll bite...........what is that thing?
honda powered pressure washer,honda water pumps,

marlin spikes

don't remember where i got them but 2 thread chasers,there 1/2 inch square 8 inches long and have 8 thread sizes on each

norm
Maybe not the best, but I sure like my little 4 1/2" angle grinder. Picked up a cheapie black and decker at the farm store and I can't wear it out to buy a good one. Cut-off blades, flap sanders, masonry blades, you name it, its had them on it.
Leatherman multitools. I have owned several models and now believe the Wave is the ONE. They have saved me more trips to the shop. I have fixed fence, floats on water troughs, sawed a broken pipeline[hdpe] into and cut a plug to stop it up, pulled cholla stickers out of a horse, split the brisket and the pelvis on a bull elk because my hatchet was a mile away.
I tried to get a tight old friend to buy one and he kept telling me he just wouldn't use it so i bought one and loaned it to him. In a week he had to have it. He now has 11 or 12 different models.

Fred
Wahl hair clippers. They save me hundreds of dollars a year, and I don't get hair in my collar. Win-Win.
Originally Posted by 222Rem

It's what you use to open this slug bait.. sick

[Linked Image]
You know, they had a show on the discovery channel on the greatest invention in the last 1,000 years. Do you know what they deemed #1. The Smart Phone. They called it The Smart Phone Revolution. It put the World at your fingertips. Guess what. I don't have one! I won't leave the house without a pocket knife. Keep your smart phone. I kind of think of tools that way too. Multi tools are handy. Les Stroud did every one of his Survivor Man episodes with one. If the best tool for the job is the one you have on hand, it would win. It would have to. There will always be better tools for the job, but at hand? Same argument as the smart phone. I'd have to agree with the logic, although I wouldn't depend on one.

[Linked Image]

Slug bait? WTF crazy

I'd say a leatherman is the handiest tool without a doubt. I've not been without one since I bought my first. Of course in the interim I've lost and broken several, but still, not the perfect tool for anything, but adequate for almost anything.
I always felt sorry for the slugs when I trapped 'em with that swill...

Originally Posted by MckinneyMike

Do your research before you get one of these. Most models are noisy and maintenance is hell. The newer models look great in the store but don't work as advertised when you get 'em home. And if return it you'll still be paying for years.
Sometimes rental is the way to go.
Originally Posted by amax155
I had to learn the hard way, that Kleins are cheaper in the long run. I started off with cheaper China made tools and within 6 months all had to be replaced.
Hate to tell you this, but a lot of Klein Tools are now made elsewhere.
Most useful..a hammer. followed by a drill and saw.
You know, they had a show on the discovery channel on the greatest invention in the last 1,000 years. Do you know what they deemed #1. The Smart Phone. They called it The Smart Phone Revolution. It put the World at your fingertips. Guess what. I don't have one! I won't leave the house without a pocket knife. Keep your smart phone. I kind of think of tools that way too. Multi tools are handy. Les Stroud did every one of his Survivor Man episodes with one. If the best tool for the job is the one you have on hand, it would win. It would have to. There will always be better tools for the job, but at hand? Same argument as the smart phone. I'd have to agree with the logic, although I wouldn't depend on one.
Have to agree with you again Rob. Pocket knife is my top-tool. Victorinox or Wenger brand Swiss Army knives are probably my top one. They do most of what a multi-tool will do without the drama of having to hang it on your belt.
I'd wager I like my Honda generator the best.

I hardly ever use it though. I just start it occassionally to marvel at how quiet it is. lol

I like my Leatherman Wave quite abit too. I quartered and deboned an elk with it one time. Good tool.
Posted By: M1894 Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
For convenience , reliability , and safety of not having to drag a cord or air hose around , the cordless paslode framing nailer and trim nailer alomg with the 12V makita cordless 1/4" impact driver.
More basic , a good pocket knife that is easy to carry , and a compass are probably right near the top for me.
Add: The small flat duracell flashlight that goes unnoticed in my pocket until I need it .
Didn't buy it but I sure have used my boss' Miller Mig welder to fix/build a ton of stuff.

For stuff I've bought I've used my Ideal multimeter for everything from rebuilding guitar amps, guitar electronics, house wiring and car troubleshooting. It's one of those tools that nothing else will really cover for-when you needone you NEED one! I do use my Leatherman Wave almost everyday, as well.

Originally Posted by rkamp

Plan C, real handy on fence work also.

[Linked Image]

my favorite too, most useful tool in the truck

[Linked Image]

Cool, thanks. I might have to get one.

Always nice to know it's got the lifetime replacement policy if you manage to wear it out. wink
Posted By: pal Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/05/12
Got lots of really good tools (love the Japanese saws) but the one which merits the most praise is one that hasn't been made for decades--the original, first generation Sioux/Milwaukee close quarters angle drill:
http://www.woodworking.org/WC/GArchive99/7_30mattsioux.html

These can still be found, occasionally, on eBay. Its fine trigger control far outmatches any of the models which have since replaced it.
In early 1994 an aunt of mine who had no children had a stroke and had to sell her house. I had her power of attorney so it fell to me to sell the house and contents. She told me if there were any tools, etc. I could use to just take them. Anyway I took a small electric lawn mower home that had to be years old based on its appearance.

I finally took it to the dump this summer, 18 years after I got it and who knows how many years old in total. Remember it was free to me!

Jim
I have a Swiss Army knife my brother-in-law gave me one year for Christmas. I carry it with me whenever I leave the house. It's saved me more than a few times.
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
In early 1994 an aunt of mine who had no children had a stroke and had to sell her house. I had her power of attorney so it fell to me to sell the house and contents. She told me if there were any tools, etc. I could use to just take them. Anyway I took a small electric lawn mower home that had to be years old based on its appearance.

I finally took it to the dump this summer, 18 years after I got it and who knows how many years old in total. Remember it was free to me!

Jim
My Grandparents in Dallas used electric lawnmowers. They had a couple of Sunbeams. I used to mow their lawn with them. It was amazing how many times they'd cut through and repaired their extension cords.
It's not really a tool, but the Frigidaire refrigerator in our cabin was purchased in 1953 by my in-laws. It has never seen a repairman. Nearly sixty years later, it still looks and works great.

Bill Quimby
The best tool that I ever bought was an air compressor and a framing nail air nailgun.
I didn't buy them but the Lyman Spartan reloading press and dies I got from my parents for Christmas '65 opened up another whole world for me. I just got through sizing some .300 H&H cases for a rifle that was made in the month I was born.
Posted By: clos Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/06/12
Dewalt cordless sawsall.
Originally Posted by FreeMe
My woodshop is pretty full of great tools. But the heart and soul of the shop is the Powermatic 66 cabinet saw that I bought used back in the '90's. It is awesome!

PM66

I bought a lightly used 66 about 15yr ago for a grand. Smart investment.
The 66 is the coin of the realm.. I have to use a Delta in one of the shops and it's such a POS, I wouldn't take it if it was given to me for free.
Now talking about table saws.. The best I ever used was this old Tannewitz. It had a dual arbor which allowed you to have 2 blades available for use, with up to 16" diameter. We had it set up with a cross cut blade and a rip blade. It had a sliding table that had a miter fence indents that were bomb proof. The whole thing was smooth as a super model's ass... I used it for years in a shop I ran, and when I went off on my own, I tried to buy it and the owner just laughed at me.

That would have been one of the best tools I had bought.

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=11822
There are a lot of well-designed tools that would qualify but the one that I use constantly is my Spyderco Delica II.....
[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by okok

[Linked Image]

I found one on sale for $250 in vegas
Posted By: okok Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/06/12
Originally Posted by AggieDog
The best tool that I ever bought was an air compressor and a framing nail air nailgun.

I love my Bosch brad nailer!
Originally Posted by slg888

[Linked Image]

Never bought any, rented a couple when I was a young fella though.

19 yo shearer working around the country with plenty of cash and no ties.... shearing, shooting, fishing and pretty much generally enjoying myself.

Sigh....!
I bought a TRIM set of fingernail toenail clippers in a small leather case with money I received for HS graduation. I needed a set for college. They are still in use today - the whole family uses them. Small item that is used several times a week.American made too.
My tractor.

[Linked Image]
me, cronograph. That tool became pretty important.
after a buncha years swinging about every riggin' axe and hammer made, the Stiletto titanium hammers are the cat's azz......

and cast by Ruger......
I wish I made enough coin for a hunnert dollar hammer.. shocked
I bought a few when the local lumber yard had the wood handled ones for $60. The fancy- smancy Ti-bone model with the replaceable faces and rubber grips made my head swim. Guess I'm old fashioned enuff to still like wood....
If you want to call a gun a tool, Then it was a .25 auto Raven. Sobered up that mad-drunk biker and set him back on his heels when I pressed it up to his forehead. At the time, I loved that little peashooter.

But that was in another time and place.
Set 4230RM
[Linked Image]
Posted By: srp Re: Best tool you ever bought... - 08/06/12
My grandmothers cast iron fry pan. Will someday go to my grandkid. Then someday to his. Used almost every day. Can you beat that?
Tap and die set from Harbor Freight.
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I bought a few when the local lumber yard had the wood handled ones for $60. The fancy- smancy Ti-bone model with the replaceable faces and rubber grips made my head swim. Guess I'm old fashioned enuff to still like wood....

And wood isn't as hard on your elbow ( I had framer's elbow )

My current favorite is a Stihl 14" Demolition saw (doing more steel work these days)
Mark
Last but not least.

[Linked Image]
that's on my birthday list.
probably my DeWalt 18V drill/driver.
Got it in 1996, and still going strong.
Here's another oldie I have. It has been riding around on my keyring since 1966:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They made two versions of it. The first was in 1960, the 90th anniversary of the company. Mine is the 1966 version (not my actual one, but both sides shown above). I remember sending for it through the mail. It was free. Prolly the most cost-effective tool I'll ever buy. grin

Steve.

Originally Posted by slumlord
porta-band

love it

[Linked Image]

I'll easily second this one.
Stihl chainsaw. 20 years old, keeps running and running and running.............
This thread is going to cost me some money.
Craftsman electric impact about 20 years ago. Changed my life.
Makita 1/2" chuck hammer drill. Made working in my first house a snap. 40 year old comcrete is brutal.
My first and last cordless drill. I've had several over the last 25 years.
A good floor jack. I've used it for jobs you couldn't imagine.
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Here's another oldie I have. It has been riding around on my keyring since 1966:
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

They made two versions of it. The first was in 1960, the 90th anniversary of the company. Mine is the 1966 version (not my actual one, but both sides shown above). I remember sending for it through the mail. It was free. Prolly the most cost-effective tool I'll ever buy. grin

Steve.

I have one like it that says "Colt" on it. cool
Originally Posted by slg888

[Linked Image]

I like her built in floatation devices! grin
© 24hourcampfire