Home

Need to replace my old diagonal cutters with something new that cuts better.

Channel Locks are made in the USA. Knipex are made in Germany. Patriotism aside, does anyone think Knipex are worth the extra coin?
I have a few pair of knipex, and they are very nice tools...but i dont think they are worth the extra screeb
Union Electrician for 27 years , one word KLEIN!!
I have an IBEW buddy too. He likes Klien but he also has several pair of German knipex pliers.
Originally Posted by slumlord
I have an IBEW buddy too. He likes Klien but he also has several pair of German knipex pliers.
is he the same one that likes to run around nekid?

Klein, huh? I hadn't thought about them.

Made in the USA? It doesn't expressly say on their website.

I'll buy stuff from Germany, but not from China.
All the liquor-tricians we have that come through here use Klein tools.

All the mill-wrights use Knipex.
Knipex is sho'nuff properly hardened tool steel. About th eonly thing that stands up to cutting music wire.
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Knipex is sho'nuff properly hardened tool steel.

Yeah, I kind of suspected the Germans would be OCD about that.

Do you know anyone reputable with good prices? I'll never find a store that stocks them around here.
TJM, No China for me either. Just about all of the Klein Pliers are USA.
Originally Posted by cbennett

+ a bunch......... work for an electrical utility.........every grunt sack has a pair
Originally Posted by Field_Hand
Originally Posted by slumlord
is he the same one that likes to run around nekid?
he only does that when you're at work
TJM, get the 2000 series with angled head. That series is made of a harder steel. The angled head comes in handy as well.
Lowes has Knipex, and lots of folks sell them on FeEbay
Sears sells them too. Klein is top notch and more expensive than Knipex.
I have a pair of Knipex cutters that I used for years cutting high tensile wire from the under carriage of my work vehicles.
I settled on Knipex after a couple of years using inferior tools, and not once have I regretted my purchase....I am currently using them in the shop for cutting chain up to 5mm, so useful in fact that I now have several Knipex tools, including their Multi-grips.

Definitely one of my better purchases.
I haven't tried the Knipex yet but I have worn out several pair of Klein long handle angle head cutters in 30+ years of welding/fab.
Lots of leverage at about $35.

Yep, Klein!
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Channel Locks are made in the USA.

Actually, not far at all from me, in Meadville, PA.

I can't believe you you haven't taken a beating here for being in a union.
I try to come here for relaxation therefore I avoid the debates. The Union Building Trades are way different than the others Unions debated here.
Highfalutin names aside Channel Locks are good stuff.
All we ever see in pouches are Klein cutting pliers and Channel Lock 430's and 440's. It is amazing no matter what Local you are in those two brands are universal in their respected areas. Actually everyone calls them Channel Lock regardless of brand.
Originally Posted by 257Deland

+ a bunch......... work for an electrical utility.........every grunt sack has a pair

+ yet another
I use both Klein and Knipex tools. I do prefer the bigger handles on the Knipex, but I have big hands. You can get them on the Klein, but they cost more. Only two brands I will even consider.
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Knipex is sho'nuff properly hardened tool steel.

Yeah, I kind of suspected the Germans would be OCD about that.

Do you know anyone reputable with good prices? I'll never find a store that stocks them around here.

Klien
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_5?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=klein%20pliers

Knipex
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=knipex%20pliers
I have a pair of 12" Knipex angle head dikes and they are by far the best cutters that I have ever had. Lowes carries some Knipex.

Speaking of Knipex, if you get a pair of Knipex smooth jaw plier wrenches you wont know how you got by without them.

http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=...etail&parentID=1368&groupID=1500

You just had to mention the U? word didn't you!
© 24hourcampfire