Home
It's a lie! Things can always get worse no matter how bad things seem at the time, they can always get worse!

Some times putting things into perspective can help, other times nothing helps and there is no answers!

Never ever occurred to me that some time I would have to watch my Wife die a slow and painful death, one in which I would each and every day watch her slow deterioration and gradual loss of all function.

But thats where I'm at now, my wife having been diagnosed a few months ago with ALS or Lou Gehrig's disease. She's pretty much an invalid now requiring 24 hour care and each and every day is more and more painful for the both of us.

Sounds selfish me thinking how hard it is on my self, but we've been married for over 33 years and it has pretty much always just been the two of us... lots of up's and downs over the years but we've always stuck it out and worked through the tough times... we were married for better or for worse!

Unbelievable how fast this is all happening... but over these last few months I've really learned you have to treasure each and every minute together!

Phil
Man, that is hard. Out of it all you offer wisdom.

I pray for you both, peace and comfort.
Sorry to hear this. My prayers go out to both of you.
Its not what a man endures that makes him a man.Its how he faces it.
Prayers for the both of you Phil.
You're a fine man and human. Just know that she knows and loves you for it.
My God, I can't imagine how awful that must be. You will be rewarded for your commitment and your faith. God bless you both and keep you close to him.
It's a burden too much for me to understand. You have my prayers and empathy.
I have been married 33 years also. I cannot begin to fathom your pain. I watched ALS get my mother and know haw hard it was for her.

You can count on my prayers for both of you.
Dorothy and I fought Crohn's disease for well over ten years but nothing like ALS. My prayers go out to you, Phil.
Dang Phil, that is not good news. Bless you for being there for your wife. I will be praying for you both.
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Man, that is hard. Out of it all you offer wisdom.

I pray for you both, peace and comfort.

I will have to AMEN that. I will add that I pray for peace in your hearts and comfort in your souls. God Bless the both of you.
I've been married almost 17 years, and I cannot imagine what you 2 are going thru. I am without words. You are in our prayers and I am sure your wife is grateful for all you have done. Stay with her and let her know how much you care and love her.
May God bless the 2 of you.

Greyghost, I am extremely sorry for your horrible situation.
That is one awful disease.
My best wishes to you and your wife..
Chin up man. I cannot say I know where you are coming from but you have my thoughts and prayers.
Phil, I can say with some certainty that the fact that you are at her side holding her hand means more to her than you know. God bless you both.

Pete
Prayers sent sorry to hear
So sorry man. I can't imagine how difficult that would be. Our prayers are with you.

My prayers are with you and your wife. Your strength is amazing.
Greyghost......prayers for the both of you.
Phil,
Your a good husband you have taken your vows to God and your wife seriously for that you have my utmost respect.

It will get tougher but hang in there as you are your wifes "rock" and in the end you'll know you have down the right thing and have no regrets.

I was holding my mothers hand as she took her last breath, my sister, brother and I took care of her for 3 years after my dad died and I can remember thinking sometimes I didn't want to do it anymore but hung in there as i knew it was right. Today I have no regrets and am glad I got to spend all that extra time taking care of her.

I hope this story helps. (I know it help me just to right it)
6 years ago, I lost my wife of 33 years to cancer. I watched for 10 months while she turned into a walking skeleton as her liver and many other organs deteriorated. She died on Christmas Day, 2006.

There's only 1 place to go for the comfort a guy needs in times like this - Jesus Christ. Nothing else even comes close. Could he heal a terminally ill person? Yes. Will he? Likely not in this life. We will all die eventually and He will let nature take it's course with each of us. However, you can't believe all the comforts and helps that will come from faith and trust in Him.
Originally Posted by Greyghost
It's a lie! Things can always get worse no matter how bad things seem at the time, they can always get worse!

Some times putting things into perspective can help, other times nothing helps and there is no answers!

Phil

Phil...

I hear the cry of your heart. Some of us have been there and know how it feels.

Some of us have been places worse. And yes, you're right... it can always be worse than it is right now, and in the case of you and your wife, with ALS being the cause, it might just do so. I'm so sorry for that.

I have no advice, no counsel. All I can do is offer my sympathy, my compassion, and my prayers. May you and your wife receive the comfort of that.
Oh, Christ I feel for you. I just lost my Wife over a 6 week period and that is killing me. For that to go on for years...My prayers are with you both. Bear
May God bless you both.
May the good Lord watch over both of you. My thoughts and prayers are wtih you.
I feel for you Phil. I lost my Dad in 07 to Multiple system atrophy, a combination of ALS and a couple of other diseases. It was a slow process, over 5 years and the last one he was bedridden. I took time off of work to help my Mother take care of him. My wife and I watched him take his last breath around 1:30 in the morning. He died 2 days before my sons 4th B-day. The following year, my Father in law coded on my sons b-day and died a week later.
Life sometimes sucks. Stay strong, believe in God. He will take care of all things.

Joe

Speechless. I can't imagine the suffering and heartbreak.
Greyghost,

Prayers for both of you will be ongoing from here.

May God bless,

John & Shelia
© 24hourcampfire