Home
Posted By: 4xbear CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
The title says it all. My desire is for a new press. Don't ask me why mine all work fine. Just looking for something more precise and different. BTW I have a Dillon for the belt guns this is for Rifles only. So, The Redding or the Forster and why. Bear
Posted By: Timberlake Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
Hard to beat the Redding T-7. You can have several calibers set up on one turret. More turrets are available also and change in less than 5 min. All my reloading is done on the T-7 now.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
Forster, for ultimate precision grin also quick setup, with the automatic shellholder, and the quick-change rings on the dies. The turrets have at least a tiny bit of slop on them, when you crank on the pressure, and slight misalignment is possible.

I will probably buy a Hornady Progressive before long, and if I were to start loading long cartridges, I might get a Redding Ultramag
Posted By: 4xbear Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
I am interested in the Forster but have not had the opportunity to handle one. The theory sounds good but the handle looks awkward in the pictures I have seen. Bear
Posted By: Steelhead Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
Love me some T7
Posted By: Take_a_knee Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
Originally Posted by 4xbear
The title says it all. My desire is for a new press. Don't ask me why mine all work fine. Just looking for something more precise and different. BTW I have a Dillon for the belt guns this is for Rifles only. So, The Redding or the Forster and why. Bear

DUDE! If you have a 550, YOU ALREADY OWN THE WORLD'S FINEST TURRET PRESS! Wake up and smell the coffee.
Posted By: MColeman Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/05/12
I am interested in the Forster but have not had the opportunity to handle one. The theory sounds good but the handle looks awkward in the pictures I have seen. Bear

I've used a Forster for years and there is nothing awkward about it with the possible exception of changing the sliding shellholder from large to small cases. I don't know of an easy way of doing it.
Posted By: 4xbear Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
Well, running about half and half here. Guess I'll have to find a Forster to try. I was afraid of that. Bear
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
The CoAx is the most accurate press. The design makes it that way and it operates fine. Mickey is right about changing the plates, but I think the standard ones will fit all but the smallest, like a Hornet. It's a great press!
Posted By: southpawhunter Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
I've had a Co-Ax for 30 yrs.+. I don't know any better.
Posted By: carbon12 Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
Just looking for something more precise and different.

That is your best reason to try and/or buy a CO-AX.

The T7, as good as it is, is not as different as is the CO-AX when comparing to most other single stage presses.

For several cartridges, I like using Lee Collet dies and find I like using the T7 or RCBS RCII more for that type of die.

The Forster CO-AX works a bit better with Forster type die lock rings. Hornadys lock rings will work fine but you'll want to retro-fit dies with the current style RCBS and Redding lock rings because of the sloppy fit in the CO-AX press.

Posted By: selmer Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
Had a Rockchucker for many, many years and switched over to Co-ax. Sold the Rockchucker 6 months later because I never used it after I got the Co-ax.
Posted By: gbp Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
i run 2 co-ax, 1 dillon and 1 corbon for the really big stuff.

i would not trade the co-ax for anything
Posted By: DigitalDan Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
Never had anything 'cept a Rockchucker. Well, there is a MEC 9000G but that don't count. Leave belt fed to the arsenals...

Dinosaur Dan
Posted By: 458 Lott Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
I have a co-ax and a rockchucker. The co-ax get's used, the rockchucker collects dust.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/06/12
Buddy had a co-ax, back in the last century (when they were Bonanza Co-ax). It was a great press. I kind of lust after a T-7 cause I really like Redding stuff and it's probably what I will replace the old Pacific single stage with if I can ever get it to wear out.
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
If co-ax is so great why aren't all the guys in BR using nothing else? Maybe we'd see some real records being broken every year if they did LOL.
Posted By: WayneShaw Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE
If co-ax is so great why aren't all the guys in BR using nothing else? Maybe we'd see some real records being broken every year if they did LOL.

Because BR guys load at the range during a match, and a COAX is a bit heavy to lug around.
Posted By: gbp Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
most br guys use an arbor press at the range
Posted By: 17ACKLEYBEE Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
Originally Posted by WayneShaw
Originally Posted by 17ACKLEYBEE

Because BR guys load at the range during a match, and a COAX is a bit heavy to lug around.

They would lug anything that gave them a clear advantage.
Posted By: EdM Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
Originally Posted by gbp
most br guys use an arbor press at the range

Yep.
Posted By: JimHundley Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
I have seen a co-ax at a BR match. Worked fine, though most use the arbor press.
IMO, I like the free floating dies in my coax. That feature with a Redding Competition Seating Die and good brass loads some great ammo. ie: very low run out, if any. I have a Redding Boss and the Co-ax. I prefer the co-ax, though the Ultra-Mag might be nice !
Posted By: carbon12 Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
For precision, it ain't the press, it is mostly the dies (and the skill of the user).

For coolness and ease of use with conventional dies, the CO-AX and T7 can help.
Posted By: horse1 Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12
Co-Ax, then set up your 550 for bulk reloading rifle ammo too.
Posted By: Border Doc Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/07/12

"Buddy had a co-ax, back in the last century (when they were Bonanza Co-ax). It was a great press. I kind of lust after a T-7 cause I really like Redding stuff and it's probably what I will replace the old Pacific single stage with if I can ever get it to wear out." from cra1948

Follow your dreams, 'cause the Pacific won't wear out!

The Redding T7 is great, built sturdy (read "heavy") and well. It is always set up and ready. The Bonanza Co-Ax is unusual and has some design features that are examples of engineering genius; it's also ready and waiting for work. And the Dillons and Hornadys are quite capable of producing quantities of very good ammunition that are the envy of shooters from the olden days. Having all the shell plates and powder measures gets to be an equipment race, just sayin'.

How big is your reloading room?
Posted By: 4xbear Re: CO-AX or T7? - 09/10/12
No issue with space here. Plenty of room. maybe I will get both. smile Bear
© 24hourcampfire