Home
This will certainly stir the pot!

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/09/where-was-this-picture-taken.html
Iran obviously has problems and is far from perfect. But given the tidal wave of propaganda in the news which is doing everything possible to �demonize the enemy� to justify war, we think it is valuable to provide some balance and perspective.
Islam is the problem and it demonizes itself quite well with no help from propaganda, which is that this link is.

The nazi's made Jewish musicians play beautiful music while their brethern were marched to their death. This link would try to achieve the same effect, but I doubt it will work here.
I guessed it right about a quarter of the way down. But I cheated, I have a BIL who grew up there. There re a lot of folks here who would like to see Iran turned into a big glass parking lot. I do not think it is that simple. I cannot see killing all the Asearian Christians who still live in Iran. Some of them are family.
Well shiver me timbers! Who would have thought.
There'll sure be some pretty flowers blown up soon.
Well, I AM nitpicking, but that's the Middle East, not Europe. Otherwise, I didn't guess it at all and had to go to the end to find out where it was!
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Along with a lot of good people who hate their government.
Originally Posted by Darrel
Well, I AM nitpicking, but that's the Middle East, not Europe. Otherwise, I didn't guess it at all and had to go to the end to find out where it was!

Persians have always considered themselves European, as they are not arabs..

We could overthrow that country in a couple of days time without a shot fired, but the war hawks and politicians in this country are too stupid to realize it.
Once again we agree. Sadly I think no one in charge has a clue.
What tipped you off...?
A few selective photo's does not prove one thing or another.

That said, the parts of Iran and Iraq that constituted the old Persia were the birth place of modern civilization.

I know a couple of Iranian families that emigrated following the over throw of the Shah and they are decent, well educated and cultured people. Although Muslims, they detest the Fundamentalist Muslims who they hold responsible for the decline of their country.

I really hate the idea of a war with Iran, but I suspect the nature of the Fundamentalist government in Iran will make it inevitable, especially from Israel's perspective.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
We could overthrow that country in a couple of days time without a shot fired, but the war hawks and politicians in this country are too stupid to realize it.

We probably could as we did in Iraq, but look at the mess that turned into..I for one do not want British boots on the ground. If that is unavoidable, we should go there to fight a war and then get out and forget all notions of nation building..
Originally Posted by Pete E
... we should go there to fight a war and then get out and forget all notions of nation building..

IIRC, that was our intention in Iraq. Then somebody figured out there was a whole lot of (my) money to be made in nation-building, and things got out of hand. As they usually do.
Originally Posted by Scott F
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Along with a lot of good people who hate their government.

This^^^^^^^^
Originally Posted by tjm10025

IIRC, that was our intention in Iraq. Then somebody figured out there was a whole lot of (my) money to be made in nation-building, and things got out of hand. As they usually do.

While undoubtedly some saw a chance to make money, I think that under international Law, there is a responsibility on the winning side to stabilize/rebuild the defeated nation and not just pull out leaving in a shambles.
From my limited viewpoint, it appears as though there is some level of stability in Iraq. There not going nuts like their neighboring countries Syria and Iran.

In that respect something was accomplished. Whether it's stays that way, long term, is yet to be seen.
The thought nation building building rubs me the wrong way but can you imagine what the ME would be like if the coalition forces had pulled out and left a power vacuum filled by a regime that was friendly to Syria and Iran?
Originally Posted by fish head
From my limited viewpoint, it appears as though there is some level of stability in Iraq. There not going nuts like their neighboring countries Syria and Iran.

In that respect something was accomplished. Whether it's stays that way, long term, is yet to be seen.

Given the amount of bombings still going on, I would not say Iraq is anywhere near stable, and certainly not as stable (oppressed?) as it was under Sadam.

I would say that's the current situation in Iran i.e stability through oppression. From the media reports it would seem the situation in Syria is a lot worse and the country is in a state of civil war.

If Assad looses, it will be interesting to see if the replacement Government is a significant improvement.

Judging how things have gone in Egypt and Libya, I doubt any new Syrian Government would be in any way more pro Western...
Originally Posted by fish head
The thought nation building building rubs me the wrong way but can you imagine what the ME would be like if the coalition forces had pulled out and left a power vacuum filled by a regime that was friendly to Syria and Iran?

Although not politically correct, I suspect the only way to do business with the ME is from a position of strength.

In the case of Iraq, I would have liked us to have gone in, done the business and then withdrawn. Once the new leaders had established themselves, we should have simply told them to play ball, or we would remove them from power; a policy of using lots of "stick" and a little "carrot" if you will..

I didn't say stable ... it was "some level of stability in Iraq".

wink

just a few things in the very first photo that were a dead give away.

[Linked Image]
Originally Posted by RickyD
Iran obviously has problems and is far from perfect. But given the tidal wave of propaganda in the news which is doing everything possible to �demonize the enemy� to justify war, we think it is valuable to provide some balance and perspective.
Islam is the problem

Kind of the way guns are the problem, too, huh?

The problem is people. The problem is always people. If the problem is a thing, then smart people will figure out a way around it.

So...if Muslims in Iran are your problem, and you believe they need to be killed (being apparently no different from a Muslim yourself, except in the sense that a Republican is different from a Democrat), then how are you going to kill all the Iranian Muslims without hurting all the Iranian Christians and Jews?
Originally Posted by Barak
Islam is the problem

The problem is people. The problem is always people. If the problem is a thing, then smart people will figure out a way around it.

So...if Muslims in Iran are your problem, and you believe they need to be killed (being apparently no different from a Muslim yourself, except in the sense that a Republican is different from a Democrat), then how are you going to kill all the Iranian Muslims without hurting all the Iranian Christians and Jews?

There you go again----with logic! smile
I think that under international Law, there is a responsibility on the winning side to stabilize/rebuild the defeated nation and not just pull out leaving in a shambles.

Well, we'll just have to change that international law, won't we?
there is a responsibility on the winning side to stabilize/rebuild the defeated nation and not just pull out leaving in a shambles.

We prefer a third option: stabilize/rebuild leaving it in a shambles.
What lovely photos. The European label really had me fooled. I could have mistaken them for Germany ...in 1938 ....NAZI Germany.
Iran in the days of the Shah had some exquisite hunting if my dads and grandfathers magazines and books are to be believed.

Iraq, Iran, don't matter unless the moderate muslims stand up for themselves and get rid of the megalomaniacs and religous zealots in charge.

I am tired of going places saving idiots from themselves then getting [bleep] on...next time they mess with us send them a MOAB message and keep repeating until they freaking get it... let the UN put sanctions on us then maybe american jobs will come home again, use our resources for ourselves and our businesses, and make America only dependent on America.

Just my .02...
The Iranians took to the streets betting their life the US would send help. I doubt that risk will be run again anytime soon. It is funny seeing the jews (another link at bottom of pictures), the Iranians have historically hated the jews and sent them to the front line first of any conflict. That is why Iran has such a small jewish population.

Personally, I think barrak husain should have at least given the Iranian protesters as much support as he gave the occupy Wall-Streeters, but then again what do you expect from the guy that declares himself head of the cocksucking party.
Originally Posted by derby_dude
Originally Posted by Barak
Islam is the problem

There you go again----with logic! smile

Except not.

Killing your problem isn't always the best way to fix your problem...
Originally Posted by big drift
...Iraq, Iran, don't matter unless the moderate muslims stand up for themselves and get rid of the megalomaniacs and religous zealots in charge....

14 centuries on and the Muhammedan "moderates" show precious little sign of wearying of the megalomaniacs and religious zealots always running the show.

In circles of logic and conversation, this is known as "a clue."

To paraphrase Golda Meir, there only can be peace in the Middle East when the Arabs learn to love their own children more than they hate the Jews. To date, they still seem convinced the best use of a child is as the delivery system for a suicide vest.
I lived in Tehran from 73 thru 76. Figured it out about a 1/3 of the way down.
nation building caused 7/16 OSB to go from $5 a sheet to $17 a sheet 2003/2004

[bleep] them sand norwegians
I think that under international Law, there is a responsibility on the winning side to stabilize/rebuild the defeated nation and not just pull out leaving in a shambles.

Actually, I don't think there is anything under international law that says you have to stay, just that if you do stay and occupy, you then have certain obligations.

I think the big misjudgement was thinking that after "cutting the head off the snake," a pro-US, democratic government would magically appear.
© 24hourcampfire