Home
Posted By: GunGeek Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
What�s your �One Gun� that you covet more than any other? Maybe its one you have, or the one that you have always dreamed of owning.

For me I dream of one day owning a 20 bore Paradox gun; preferably a Westley Richards droplock Faunetta. I�d trade every gun I own for that one gun in a New York minute.
Posted By: Big C Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Any one of the three Winchester One of One Thousand 1873s my grandfather owned at one time. Would love to have the trio, but would be damned happy with just one.
Originally Posted by Big C
Any one of the three Winchester One of One Thousand 1873s my grandfather owned at one time. Would love to have the trio, but would be damned happy with just one.

One of the deer rifles I saw my Grandpa carry when I was little. He passed when I was 13 and his house mysteriously burned down shortly thereafter.

Fortunately the "step-grandma" was able to escape the burning inferno with the proper insurance paperwork....
Posted By: Waders Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Hmmm...I don't really dream of owning "that one special gun." I like the rifles I have and have dreams about cool hunting trips way more than a cool gun.
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by Waders
Hmmm...I don't really dream of owning "that one special gun." I like the rifles I have and have dreams about cool hunting trips way more than a cool gun.

Me too.
Posted By: GeauxLSU Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I'm a simple man with modest desires. I want a prestine original S&W model 57.
Posted By: viking Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I guess for me it is between 3. My M1A, Colt Andaconda, or my Savage 99 250-3000.
Posted By: NeBassman Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
At the moment I would like to find one of these sweet little quail guns in IC/IC, not IC/MOD.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=311912334

Posted By: AkMtnHntr Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
A brand new in the box pre-64 Winchester model 70 Super Grade in 300 H&H.
Posted By: OrangeOkie Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
7X57 Custom Mauser

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
Posted By: NathanL Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Original (non reproduction) Colt Walker. One day I will own one. I have been to two auctions with one so far and walked away empty handed.

[Linked Image]
Since I'm asking Jack O'Connor's #2.

ddj
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I like to spoil myself, since no one else seems to be willing.

I have them both, a tuned up Kimber and a NULA in 7mm-08

always coveted a NULA never thought I'd own one, but thanks to the generosity of one of our members I got one, still grateful rockchucker, thank you. And thank you Melvin Forbes, I dote on that rifle

it's like my boat, the only thing wrong with having it, is I should have had it decades earlier.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
My well-used but still tight and sound Sauer cape gun set in 12/12 and 12/8X57JR with a 1-4 Loopy in claw mounts. This and my dad's pre 64 Mdl 70 375 are the two I would never sell, so I can't say just one gun. I changed the scope since the photo.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I have always wanted a vierling in 20/20/9.3X74R and 22LR. or 22 mag. I just haven't figured out how badly I want one yet. grin
Posted By: acooper1983 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
winchester 86 50/110

my uncle has 2 of them 1 presentation grade that cost about what im asking for my 54 acre farm lol.
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by acooper1983
winchester 86 50/110

my uncle has 2 of them 1 presentation grade that cost about what im asking for my 54 acre farm lol.

cool cool

I could get on board with that! laugh
Posted By: frogman43 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I would love to have a custom rifle in 7x57 Mauser with a beautiful "Classic" styled walnut stock...........but it's not gonna happen on my salary! grin
Posted By: Winnie Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
None.

Call me weird but I don't find guns that "lust worthy"

They are tools to me, nothing to get too excited about. blush

I would like a few but there isn't one I want more than anything.
Posted By: EricM Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
For me it would be a Holland and Holland Royal Double Rifle. This one would do: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Holland-Holland-Royal-465-express.cfm?gun_id=100244944

Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: djs Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
My "Holy Grail" gun would be a SS Remington Model 7 308 Winchester with a 4 power scope (Weaver K-4, Redfield 4X or Leupold 4X fixed power scope). Powerful enough for any emergency but readily available ammo!
Posted By: rchery59 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Too bad the guns I really long for are ones I've sold, 3 screw 41 mag, remington 600 in .308 and I had and ithaca side by side stolen,
sure wish I could get that one back. Most of the really cool stuff out there is out of my price range
Posted By: R_H_Clark Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
A Merkel 147EL
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by EricM
For me it would be a Holland and Holland Royal Double Rifle. This one would do: http://www.gunsinternational.com/Holland-Holland-Royal-465-express.cfm?gun_id=100244944

Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Nice example in the pictures. For a double rifle, I�d prefer to go Scottish. A Dickson round action with 3 sets of barrels would easly make me forget my Westley Faunetta. Barrels in 20 bore, .450 Nitro Express, and .303 would serve me very well.
Posted By: djs Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by rchery59
Too bad the guns I really long for are ones I've sold, 3 screw 41 mag, remington 600 in .308 and I had and ithaca side by side stolen,
sure wish I could get that one back. Most of the really cool stuff out there is out of my price range

I long after several I've sold, including a Ruger International 44 Magnum, a Springfield 30-03A1 (with a brass plaque awarding to it a USMC General on his retirement), a Ruger 44 Magnum Flat Top (4 digit SN) and several others. In hindsight, I don't know why I sold them, but I now sure wish I hadn't.
Posted By: derby_dude Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Well if everything works out right my 1911 when it comes back from Wilson Combat will be my holy Grail 1911.

If I were a real young pup and assuming I lived here in Montana I would buy a Wilson Combat Classic Supergrade in .45 Auto and never look back. A $6,000 1911, 2 year wait. My Holy Grail of handguns.
Posted By: jorgeI Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12

Eric

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

That would do very nicely,, thank you very much, in a 375 Flanged...
Posted By: roundoak Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Winchester Model 71 Deluxe, 348 WCF.
Posted By: Mako25 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Not necessarily own, but I know of one 6.5 Carcano I'd like the opportunity to find out just how accurate really is.

Another is a Walther PPK 7.65 that reportedly resided in Stalin's control after it was lifted from Hitler's suicide couch. That one, I'd like to own.

For a daily driver, a Savage-actioned 6MM AI, with 26" medium contour, spiral fluted, SS barrel, diamond chip front bead sight, in 1 in 8 twist. I'd want the action anodized bright red, maybe some gold inlay. Stock would be a Serengeti Stockworks stealth lamination. Timney Trigger would do just fine. Topped with talley QD rings, with a rear-peep base.

It'd be too pretty to scope, or shoot - but I would.
I guess if we are talking about price being no issue, then a custom.

It would be a Defiance Machine short action in 6 Dasher. McMillan A-5 swirly, 28" Krieger SS barrel, muzzle brake, and Harris Bi-pod, Jewel trigger, and topped with a March scope.

But it is just a dream.
But it is just a dream.

Great to be American ain't it!?
Posted By: 1Longbow Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I owned mine and sold them back in my "stupid days".
1 Was an LC Smith Specialty Grade with 2 sets of barrels(16 guage)
and a DHE Parker 12 guage . That gun had the tightest set of full choke barrels I've ever shot ,it was death on geese.
Originally Posted by Mako25
But it is just a dream.

Great to be American ain't it!?

For the most part. There are a few things i am sure we would all like to change.
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
well, I have a Shiloh Sharps on order...which is arguably one of the best American Single shots.

Next maybe a original Farquharsen British rifle...maybe in one of the blackpowder express calibers

A Bowen Nimrod has to fit in there somewhere, as well. smile

One of those rare Baer 10mm 1911's would be good, too...
Posted By: P_Weed Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
A Korth DA revolver, 357 MAG.
A Sig P-210 semi-auto, 9 MM.

I am however working on acquiring a:

Doug Turnbull 'Open Range',
Grade-C 70% coverage engraved, special case colored,
hand carved pre-ban Ivory grips, 45 COLT.

(May be my 'last' gun.)
Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Shiloh Sharps 1874 Montana Roughrider, .45-70 (aka .45 2 1/10"), 30"octagonal barrel, MVA Sharps style front globe sight with spirit level, Mid-Range Soule Tang sight with Hadley eyecup. grin

Ed
Posted By: GuyM Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by Waders

Same here.
well, I have a Shiloh Sharps on order...

Ya know, you might have "it", worse than ET. grin
I am however working on acquiring a:

Doug Turnbull 'Open Range',
Grade-C 70% coverage engraved, special case colored,
hand carved pre-ban Ivory grips, 45 COLT.

I'd really like to see that one.

Hope you get it.
DHE Parker 12 guage . That gun had the tightest set of full choke barrels I've ever shot ,it was death on geese.

Respect the fact you actually used (and enjoyed) it.
Posted By: safariman Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
To the OP, my freind Kevin Gibson...

I am immeasureably blessed to now own firearms that not so long ago I could only dream of having.

One of them is the now highly modified COlt DElta ELite that you so kindly installed the Wilson parts onto and tuned for me sir! Another hearty thank you from here.

One is my 416 Rigby. I bought it and modified it with a model 70 style safey, NECG trigger, Weisner bottom metal, full length glass bedding etc but it wil later this week be a DREAM rifle because Karnis, when I was so very sick and fighting for my life made me a deal I could not refuse and has transformed the stock on it form an OK but porky CZ stock into a gorgeous, svelte, handy feeling piece of art that looks like it came from the hands of skilled craftsmen at John Rigby's or Maybe even John Rigby himself in the 1910's. Karnis has sent me pictures via PM and I hope to have it in hand and on the rifle again later this week.

Another campfire member allowed me to buy his tapered octagon barreled Len Brownell Original Custom Mauser with spectacular wood and metalwork last summer for an amazingly low price that I was able to cover by selling my custom 257WBY to Eric M here at the 'fire. It is now a gorgeous 7mm Mashburn Super and I took a buck with it at 506 yards two weeks ago.

A few years ago I stumbled onto a Biesen Stocked Sako Riihimaki 222 at a small town Pawn Shop. When it was offered up to me at only $700.00 I nearly re-tore my rotator cuff reaching for my wallet! That little 222 rifle consistently places three Moly'ed 50gr TNT's into one ragged cloverleaf time after time at 100 yards and is oft used by one of my Pastors daughters to blast Rodents with at stupid long ranges with great success.

I have sold almost every other firearm except these and my Benelli Super BLack Eagle (My only shotgun for 15 years now and another candidate for a holy Grail Gun) As I cannot see needing any others and actually feel kind of guilty adding anything to these.

I am amazed, still, at how these came to me and fully recognize how very fortunate and blessed I am. I could never have afforded these by the normal means of building them or aquiring them at thier full values. MARK
Posted By: Mathsr Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I don't really have a gun that I would consider a "Holy Grail" gun and am pretty happy with what I have.

One that I would like to get back because it was given to me by my wife for my 50th birthday is a Merkel 2001E in 12 gauge serial #020212. It was stolen in 2004 in Statesboro, GA. I figure that someone that hunts got a deal on it and probably is going to hang on to it, so I doubt it will show up any time soon. I've never talked with a gun dealer that checks to see if guns that are traded in are stolen, so if it was to be traded or sold the chances aren't good that it would be identified as stolen.
[Linked Image]
If you have one, check the serial number. If it is the same, let me know and I will send you the case that goes with it. grin
Posted By: EricM Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Originally Posted by safariman
Another campfire member allowed me to buy his tapered octagon barreled Len Brownell Original Custom Mauser with spectacular wood and metalwork last summer for an amazingly low price that I was able to cover by selling my custom 257WBY to Eric M here at the 'fire. It is now a gorgeous 7mm Mashburn Super and I took a buck with it at 506 yards two weeks ago.
MARK

Mark, I'm glad that 7mm Mashburn Super is working out for you! Nice shot!!

Eric
Posted By: bucktales Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Original Oberndorf Mauser Type-S
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Wont go into the details, but another man wound up with the shotgun Dad owned when I was a kid. Nothing extra special about the gun, except it was my dads and I always thought I would eventually inherit the gun.

I was shooting the gun, squirrel hunting, and the gun was taller than me.

That would be my choice.
Posted By: Otter Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I guess I already have my "Holy Grail" gun(s). Custom .45 cal Flint/Caplock combo long ML, custom RB 45-70, and 2 - Shiloh Sharps (one is 45-70 and the other is 45-90). My "Gotta have" list has turned into a "boy it'd be nice to have" list as a result. Would like to have an original '86 Winchester in 45-90, but that doesn't fit the "gotta have" desire of a "Holy Grail" gun for me. Well, not yet anyhow . . . I do reserve the right to change my mind.

I do have the first three guns my Dad ever owned . . . none of them are worth much money, but I would hurt someone real bad if they tried to steal them. To me, they are priceless.
Posted By: Dirtfarmer Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
This one.

DF
[Linked Image]

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/vie...amp;sid=c98188192a71bbf8c5fee156d4b1606d
Posted By: nsaqam Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
I'd like one of the prototype LH Kimber 84M's that I've seen pictured.
Make mine in .260 Rem.
Posted By: Steve_NO Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
a while back it would have been a Holland double rifle, but I have a Watson Bros. .450/.400 and I can't see the sights worth a hoot any more so that's not on the list any more.

a really nice light Purdey pre-WWI 12 bore would be about the ticket.

or a minty martial marked Colt SAA.
Posted By: gmsemel Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
Oh nothing special for me, but I would go with a John Rigby 275 HV model with pop up peep sight on the striker, express sights regulated for 140 bullets out to 400 yards with a Fixed 4x S+B scope, yea that would do, but then again my current love has served me well since I bought it. A Blaser R-93. Thou a Merkel Jag K-3 in 7 x 57R or 270 would sure work for me as well. So many good guns so little actual cash!
Posted By: achadwick Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
For me, it would be the Bushmaster BA50 with plenty of ammo to run through it.

Bushmaster BA50 50BMG Carbine

Someday, maybe!
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
A Holland and Holland Royal Grade in 450-400 3.25" Nitro Express with 28" barrels. cry

Gunner
Posted By: elkhunternm Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/23/12
A Pre '64 Winchester M 70 .375 H&H.
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
That .303 double Gunner brought to the boar hunt? That rifle, in .303 or maybe 7x57, and sweet louise I'm done then. Truly, I'd keep one bolt-action with some reach, sell everything else, and be content. Content with a big chit-eating grin. smile That rifle is the Red Ryder BB gun of adulthood.

Dunno. Am at that middle-age phase where sentimentality and "stuff" has gone out the window. But some rifles are almost alive, like an innaminate dog, and you're but their caretaker. That's a rifle that could get excited about and (with care) hunt the hell out of it. Hunt, hell, I'd tote it woodswise every chance.

Who knew Gunner would find one or two long-lost sons at that hunt? Guess third or fourth or fifth or... in line ain't so bad.... eek grin

Alas, there's only one real answer: pay off the school loans and start building a slush fund.
Posted By: 21 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
There are two on my list, in order---Winchester model 71, and Savage 99 .375.
Posted By: digger44 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Of the ones I have ? - Grandpa's old marlin mountie.

On the wish list .... original Winchester high wall.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by sandcritter
That .303 double Gunner brought to the boar hunt? That rifle, in .303 or maybe 7x57, and sweet louise I'm done then. Truly, I'd keep one bolt-action with some reach, sell everything else, and be content. Content with a big chit-eating grin. smile That rifle is the Red Ryder BB gun of adulthood.

Dunno. Am at that middle-age phase where sentimentality and "stuff" has gone out the window. But some rifles are almost alive, like an innaminate dog, and you're but their caretaker. That's a rifle that could get excited about and (with care) hunt the hell out of it. Hunt, hell, I'd tote it woodswise every chance.

Who knew Gunner would find one or two long-lost sons at that hunt? Guess third or fourth or fifth or... in line ain't so bad.... eek grin

Alas, there's only one real answer: pay off the school loans and start building a slush fund.

Well, Howdy Son. grin, I'll bring it back ta Tennessee if ya wanna pop ya a Boar wit it, would be my pleasure. smile

Gunner
Posted By: 348srfun Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
My "Holy Grail" gun would be any of my guns that I could see the sights on good enough to shoot like I did when I was younger.
Legend has it that Custer had a Rolling Block sporting rifle in .50-70 that was carried offa' the Little Bighorn by a new owner.

That would do.

.........In point of fact, In the temporary possession of rare and esoteric vintage arms, one starts to develop a reverence that goes way beyond simple "ownership".

I'm come to realize that I'm just a minor bit player,.....a custodian, as it were, of a steady flow of Sporting Arms legacy and heritage,.....that flows across my bench, and makes it's way in , and out of my safe.

What a bit of luck THAT is.

GTC
Posted By: ringworm Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Like to hae back the Leather cased Sako 308 lever action I sold. I was young and stupid.
As far as current production guns go I'd like to have a Steyr proVarmint in 22-250 with an AAC can.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12

I am immeasureably blessed to now own firearms that not so long ago I could only dream of having.

One of them is the now highly modified COlt DElta ELite that you so kindly installed the Wilson parts onto and tuned for me sir! Another hearty thank you from here.

One is my 416 Rigby. I bought it and modified it with a model 70 style safey, NECG trigger, Weisner bottom metal, full length glass bedding etc but it wil later this week be a DREAM rifle because Karnis, when I was so very sick and fighting for my life made me a deal I could not refuse and has transformed the stock on it form an OK but porky CZ stock into a gorgeous, svelte, handy feeling piece of art that looks like it came from the hands of skilled craftsmen at John Rigby's or Maybe even John Rigby himself in the 1910's. Karnis has sent me pictures via PM and I hope to have it in hand and on the rifle again later this week.

A few years ago I stumbled onto a Biesen Stocked Sako Riihimaki 222 at a small town Pawn Shop. When it was offered up to me at only $700.00 I nearly re-tore my rotator cuff reaching for my wallet! That little 222 rifle consistently places three Moly'ed 50gr TNT's into one ragged cloverleaf time after time at 100 yards and is oft used by one of my Pastors daughters to blast Rodents with at stupid long ranges with great success.

I have sold almost every other firearm except these and my Benelli Super BLack Eagle (My only shotgun for 15 years now and another candidate for a holy Grail Gun) As I cannot see needing any others and actually feel kind of guilty adding anything to these.

I am amazed, still, at how these came to me and fully recognize how very fortunate and blessed I am. I could never have afforded these by the normal means of building them or aquiring them at thier full values. MARK
As my pastor says, "Humility looks good on everyone" and you wear it well my friend. I'm so happy to have the privilege to bless a brother.
Gotta' own up to a very soft spot for these,.....

Damned if we don't have a looming application for them at hand, too.

GTC

Posted By: hotsoup Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
i've wanted a win model 70 super grade in 270 win for a few years, so last year i bought one after i learned the fn versions were quite accurate. mine is nice in every way and very accurate, but at the end of the day it's just another gun.
Posted By: gutthooked Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12

Red Ryder

Posted By: Winnie Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
I thought about it...

Not my Holy Grail gun but something I would love to have.

A Winchester model 54 with open sights and chambered in 7x57 Mauser...

Or a Ruger m77 with a Mannlicher stock and chambered in 257 Roberts and a fixed 4 power scope on top...
Posted By: Stush Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Not out of reach, but I always wanted an 1895 Winchester takedown in .405. An original that somehow survived ANIB would be ideal, but I'd settle for a good repro... smile
Posted By: EdM Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
A bespoke Westley Richards droplock 20 bore SxS with 28" barrels choked .005/.010.
Posted By: GonHuntin Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
M249 SAW AKA FN Minimi
Posted By: luv2safari Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
A Merkel 147EL

I can set you up with the Simson version...same gun & factory in a minty 20ga 3". wink

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Yep...I'll sell it, and for about 60% of what the same gun with "Merkel" on it will go for.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
About 40 years ago, I took off work and went clear across the state to look at and buy a S&W 59. Yes, the foolishness of youth.

The man never had a 59 but rather some South American nickel plated, engraved looking, 9-mil. I wasn't happy to have spent all that money on gas (even then)and a days vacation on a lie, and told him as much.

He asked if I was interested in an old German rifle. I was and said I would look at it. He went and brought out a Mauser crested sporting rifle, like I've never seen since, and at 20, certainly never before. It had double set triggers, and a full rib with barrel banded front sight that integrated with the rib and three leaf rear sights with what looked to be a machined sling swivel on the barrel. The barrel had an external twist much like a Steyr for about 1/3 it's length. The stock was nice walnut with some figure in the butt, with a trim Schnabel forearm, and a palm swell. The action opened and closed like a blend of a fine watch and vintage safe and ran very smooth. Particularly eye catching was the profuse stampings of SS's under swastika's on much of the metal work.

I asked the caliber and he told me 30-06. I thought it was another lie and passed on it, still mad about no 59.

I wish I had bought that rifle. Some months later I bought my first hi-power in the form of a Kliengunether 7mm Remington. Nice rifle, but I still wish I would have bought that nazi Mauser.
Posted By: 257James Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Dakota Model 10 257 Roberts, but I'd settle for a NIB Remington Mountain Rifle in.........257 Roberts
Posted By: 16bore Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Tommy.....
Posted By: logger Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
For me it would be a nice 1923 Winchester 94 rifle 30-30 in good shape.
Posted By: Nate40 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Ive had a few i wish i had back. The only rifle ive always wanted i never seem to find a deal on is a m700 cdl with a fluted barrel in 7mag or 30-06. Id be in hog heaven with one of those. Also when i was a kid my dad had a beretta 92 compact ive wanted one since but there hard to find and im not payin what a new one cost. I guess im just cheap
Posted By: horse1 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Select-fire MP5, and a Dillon 1050 to keep it fed.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Rifles I don't have but have always wanted

Model 64 .25-35
Model '86 lightweight .33 Win
Model 95, .30 US Army

Pistols
Colt New Service 45 Colt

Sycamore
Posted By: tex_n_cal Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
well, I have a Shiloh Sharps on order...

Ya know, you might have "it", worse than ET. grin

nah...one will be enough... grin
Posted By: XL5 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
The Boss 12-ga SxS that Ernest Hemingway killed himself with.
Posted By: EricM Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by XL5

It probably wasn't a Boss, but rather his W. & C. Scott & Son pigeon gun. Check this out: http://biblioklept.org/2011/07/02/ernest-hemingways-suicide-gun/
Posted By: JSTUART Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
What�s your �One Gun� that you covet more than any other? Maybe its one you have, or the one that you have always dreamed of owning.

For me I dream of one day owning a 20 bore Paradox gun; preferably a Westley Richards droplock Faunetta. I�d trade every gun I own for that one gun in a New York minute.

1955 round bolt Brno model 21 in 7mm Brenneke....I would steal God's personal rifle but he knows I am lurking.
Posted By: Henryseale Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
As to center fire hunting rifles, my favorite would be my Winchester M-70 Clasic CRF Super Grade .30-06. It belonged to my cousin's husband who passed on way too soon several years ago. I've killed a fair number of deer with it and I think of Charlie every time.

My most cherished is an old Winchester M-69 bolt action .22. This was the first gun my father taught me to shoot when I was six years old. I actually still remember the time, fifty-one years ago. He told me that he got it from his father when he died. Have not shot it in quite awhile, but I always thought it to be a fine shooting .22. My eyesight is not what it used to be and I prefer using a scoped .22 these days. I do not want to deface this one by drilling it for a scope mount.

As to shotguns, I have better, but my most cherished is a well worn Remington Mod. 11-48 12 GA auto that my father gave me as a young teenager. It's still my favorite dove and rabbit gun.

Hopefully, I will live long enough to have a grandson that might have an appreciation for these that I could give them to.
Posted By: mart Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
I guess I don't have a "Holy Grail" firearm but there are many I am on the lookout for. I love classic American rifles and shotguns and classic cartridges. I like just about any rifle or shotgun that harkens to earlier days in America. Sedgley Springfields, Winchester model 54's, Remington 14's, Winchester 94's and 64's, Savage 99's, old Parker, LC Smith, Fox and Ithaca side by sides, pre 64 model 70's, Marlin 336's, Remington 721/722's. Even some of the more recent guns qualify as classics, if not classics at least very interesting like the little Ruger Deerstalker I picked up a couple of weeks ago and the Browning Sweet Sixteen I am drooling over right now. I know the Auto 5 is not an American gun but was by an American designer.

I guess the closest I can come to a "Holy Grail" gun would be Springfields or Winchester 54's or 70's that have been converted to left handed. I have one 1941 model 70 so converted and have run across a couple of Sedgley Springfields that were converted (out of my price range though). Even stumbled on to a Griffin and Howe Springfield converted to left handed. It went at auction for more than an African plains game hunt. I didn't buy it.

Mart
Posted By: Karnis Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12

Should be on the way tomorrow. Make sure to post pics after it's all assembled. I'll try and take some better pics in the sunlight...... grin whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Maarty Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Shiloh Sharps 1874 Montana Roughrider, .45-70 (aka .45 2 1/10"), 30"octagonal barrel, MVA Sharps style front globe sight with spirit level, Mid-Range Soule Tang sight with Hadley eyecup. grin

Ed

This would come pretty close.

Posted By: safariman Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by Karnis

Should be on the way tomorrow. Make sure to post pics after it's all assembled. I'll try and take some better pics in the sunlight...... grin whistle

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

WOW, that is SOOOO cool! I am just utterly speachless. Thank you my freind from the bottom of my heart.

MARK

PS yes,, I will be posting pictures of it all together.
Posted By: KFWA Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
I'm still looking for mine (or I should stay still waiting to be able to buy it).

A lever action .357/.38 but not the new poorer quality guns.

The common ones today are the Rossi's( nope, sorry) and the new Marlins that just feel like a gun Wal-Mart would design.

I eventually get an older one and spend $700 or more on it.

Of the current guns I own, I'm still a Savage 99 fan. Not a shock to this group I'm sure because its what drew me to this board in the first place.

I also want a heavy barrel CZ or Howa in .308. A good "varmint" gun. That will come later.

I get those 2 and I'll be done. I'll start buying for my son after that.
Mine would be a pristine 99 takedown with the case and the .410 barrel.

Shotgun would be a Winchester 21 or a Sterlingworth, 20 guage straight stock.
Posted By: GunGeek Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/24/12
Originally Posted by logger
For me it would be a nice 1923 Winchester 94 rifle 30-30 in good shape.

You know, the Winchester 94 is THE most common sporting rifle in the world with over 7 million made. And while the pre-1930 �94�s are the best of the best, they don�t exactly fit my description of �fine� guns. Yet there�s still something very magical about them. They�re �fine� in their own way. No, they�re not made with the care of a truly �fine� bespoke gun out of London or Scotland, but they are a testament to how �fine� a mass production gun can be made. The wood is just a little nicer with that subtle red tint that only pre-War Winchesters seem to have and the buttstock has the flat on top that�s referred to as the ��92 style stock�. Fit of wood to metal is not perfect, but just shy of. Metal finish shows obvious polishing marks, but somehow it just wouldn�t be right without those polishing marks creating a �grain� look to the metal. And finish�oh man, that old Carbonia type bluing�there�s just nothing like it. Translucent in appearance, yet deep charcoal in color at the same time. The hammer is finely checkered with a border rather than haphazard serrations all the way across. Open sights of that era are quite similar to that of 50 years later, but the sight just wreaks of quality, where the same sights 50 years later just eeks out �we�re trying to save money�. All is fit together very well and the action finishes with a tactile and audible snap when the lever ends its stroke as the shell riser snaps into position.
Posted By: XL5 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
Originally Posted by XL5

It probably wasn't a Boss, but rather his W. & C. Scott & Son pigeon gun. Check this out: http://biblioklept.org/2011/07/02/ernest-hemingways-suicide-gun/

Wallaby darned.

Thanks for the link.
Posted By: antlers Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
I have an original Winchester Model 94 that my grandfather won on a punchboard back in the 30's in Corpus Christi, Texas by punching in my grandmother's first name. It still has about 98% of the original bluing on it. He killed piles of deer with it over the years in the Hill Country. I wouldn't take for it. I'll pass it down to my son.

That said, if I could get something new, it'd probably be a David Miller Marksman in .300 Weatherby Magnum with one of his custom made scope mounts.
Posted By: Savage_99 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
I have my HG guns.

For handguns it's a Colt Woodsman Bullseye Match Target.

[Linked Image]

For shotguns a Sauer drilling.

[Linked Image]

And for hunting rifles a pre-64 M70 Featherweight .358 W.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
A Mike Brooks Type "G" Carolina trade gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

20 gauge (.62 cal) smoothbore, four foot-long barrel, six pounds and change assembled. Handles like a magic wand with a flintlock attached.

Actually, at $1,800 it ain't all that out of reach, its just all the OTHER stuff that needs paying for first grin
Not a "grail gun" per se' but I would not mind having a personally owned HK MP7A1 with a suppressor and a connex box full of ammo to go with it. smile
Posted By: bucktales Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
A Mike Brooks Type "G" Carolina trade gun...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

20 gauge (.62 cal) smoothbore, four foot-long barrel, six pounds and change assembled. Handles like a magic wand with a flintlock attached.

Actually, at $1,800 it ain't all that out of reach, its just all the OTHER stuff that needs paying for first grin

Birdy,
That's nice. Always wanted a Brooks Fowler.
I do have a Stroh J�ger in .54 that shoots like a dream. Would go good with a Brooks gun.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: rem141r Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
i found mine a couple years ago. NIB remington 7600 factory carbine in 35 whelen. it will be next to last to leave my collection right before my dads rem 141 35. i hope to never have to see it go.
Posted By: schoolmarm Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
Originally Posted by rem141r
i found mine a couple years ago. NIB remington 7600 factory carbine in 35 whelen. it will be next to last to leave my collection right before my dads rem 141 35. i hope to never have to see it go.

I've got a beautiful 141 .35, I think I'll try an old Mississippi buck with this year...
Posted By: T LEE Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
I have mine, Dad gave it to me when we were allowed to go semi-autos on the force. 1952 Colt Commander .38 Super.

Still the favorite even though it gets little carry time any more.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Toddly Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
My 1941 M21 Custom Ordered by John Olin for Lou Wasey, the head of Irwin Wasey advertising agency.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: whodat Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/27/12
Either a Sauer 202 or a really nice drilling.

Traded the Sauer 202 Lux in .300 winchester to Cabelas for an upper end spotting scope.

Get sick to my stomach every time I think about it.
Posted By: W7ACT Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/28/12
For it's this one right here I already own it,it's a Springfield 30/06.

[Linked Image]

With this on a close second it's my Granddad's '94 Winchester made in 1908.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/28/12
Not necessarily own, but I know of one 6.5 Carcano I'd like the opportunity to find out just how accurate really is.

Another is a Walther PPK 7.65 that reportedly resided in Stalin's control after it was lifted from Hitler's suicide couch. That one, I'd like to own.

For a daily driver, a Savage-actioned 6MM AI, with 26" medium contour, spiral fluted, SS barrel, diamond chip front bead sight, in 1 in 8 twist. I'd want the action anodized bright red, maybe some gold inlay. Stock would be a Serengeti Stockworks stealth lamination. Timney Trigger would do just fine. Topped with talley QD rings, with a rear-peep base.

It'd be too pretty to scope, or shoot - but I would.

You said Savage,and pretty,in the same post.There's bound to be a punishment for that. grin
Posted By: curdog4570 Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/28/12
I enjoy looking at nice guns,but I'm too rough on 'em to own one.As far as "my one gun" it'll have to be this,a REAL accurate No.1 in 270 Wby.It has an aftermarket set trigger and wears an AV Swarovski 3X9.

[Linked Image]

It,and a Mark V in 257 Wby go to my son and his son when I check out.Ain't either of them ever likely to handload so the wildcats go to other kids and grandkids.[unless I decide to have my 22 250 Ackley buried with me! grin ]
Posted By: skullmonkey Re: Your "Holy Grail" gun? - 10/28/12
Killed my first deer at 7 with a borrowed Winchester 94 Ranger in .357 Mag. I guess THAT particular gun would be my holy grail but it was a borrowed rifle & I have no idea who dad had borrowed it from. For now I have a fine Marlin 1894C in .357 that after a bit of custom work I've managed to make it my favorite of the many fine firearms I own. A fine, accurate rifle that will take anything from squirrels to deer & makes a fine home defense long gun.
© 24hourcampfire