Home
humans, in some areas of the Earth are becoming quite crowded.
just observe Staten Island, Long Island, and other areas as current examples.

i'm thinking we're attempting to stuff as many humans into the eco-system down here on the Earth as possible.

is that wrong, or is that right? i dunno.

when storms come and blow away material possessions did that happen because we were unprepared, or because we think that God would never empower a tornado or hurricane to harm us, and our kind?

some muslims beleive the God of the Earth is punishing us with hurricane Sandy, Katrina, etc. but what if they're wrong in their interpretation??

maybe he's giving us a practice run, allowing us to strengthen our resolve, and preparing Us to pass the Final Test? anyone know for sure??
Where is that, Bangledesh - Sri Lanka? that the thousands of people get scrubbed out by the Tidal waves. Have a good evening Gus.
thank you for your willingness to bring insight into the discussion.

Bangladesh is a lowland area.

probably like Staten Island, and Long Island, to an extent?

anyways, i just wish we could get to the point we could pass some Laws that would ensure the Safety of us All.

otherwise, at least the home dept. Stores are going to profit mightily from the recent disaster/debacle/flooding.

Flooding is covered by Insurance policies, isn't it??
You could house every man, woman and child on earth -- all seven billion of them -- in 5-person homes on 1/12th acre building lots ...all in the state of Texas. And that's excluding 25% of Texas' land area as unsuitable because it's mountainous or underwater, and leaving 10% of what remains for roads and highways.

You'd have to put all your malls, schools, hospitals, strip clubs, honky tonks and burrito stands in Oklahoma, but they'd have plenty of room, because everybody'd be living in Texas.

Attached picture usanight_dmsp.gif
Attached picture usanight_dmsp.gif
Many of the western states have thousands of square miles of empty land that's quite fertile. The only trick is to get the excess water from the east coast to it. There's plenty of water in the world, too. The problem is distribution.
There's at least one and a half Billion to many right now.
Then we'll we'll add the one billion liberals and progresives.
That should take care of the future problem.

Jim
If every person on earth were given a 3' X 3' square to stand in, we'd all fit in Texas.
Our govt. Encourages people to have as many children as they can through earned income credits(IRS) and food stamps etc. Back in the 70s people worried about over-population. Not antmore.
Originally Posted by Plinker
If every person on earth were given a 3' X 3' square to stand in, we'd all fit in Texas.

Texas is 268,820 square miles, so you could carve it up into 832,696,832,000 3'x3' plots. There presently are fewer than 7.05 billion people on the plant so your calculations are off by a factor of 118.
Originally Posted by poboy
Our govt. Encourages people to have as many children as they can through earned income credits(IRS) and food stamps etc. Back in the 70s people worried about over-population. Not antmore.

peak human population, what a concept. unlike peak oil, peak human population is going to be a measurable event, at least at the ten year population level estimate.

but, noone wants to talk about it. what could be said, exactly?

if humans, in the collective, chose to practice birth control, who would be the winners, and who would be the losers??

if we could just find a way to get One Human off the Earth, alive, would that be a success??
the GOOD LORD will let us know when HE's ready to downsize untill then man will continue to inhabit danger zones .
I won't go into all the reasons they continue to do it because there are too many,,BUT [bleep] happens and it aintGods fault.

norm
People live were they live is due to ease of transport. before cars and trains, things moved by water, in other words by ship or barge, so people lived near or on rivers you could navigate and On the Ocean shores. Cars and trains are a very recent invention. What you see going on in NYC is just plane poor planning, because they all had better things to do with the money. Heck the Local Red Cross Shelter were I was for the storm, didn't even know how to make coffee for more that 4 or 5 cups! they were so disorganized it was funny to watch. They should know better but they don't take stock after and event and make corrections for the next. Stupid is as stupid dose.
Originally Posted by XL5

Texas is 268,820 square miles, so you could carve it up into 832,696,832,000 3'x3' plots. There presently are fewer than 7.05 billion people on the plant so your calculations are off by a factor of 118.

No they aren't. He didn't say they would JUST fit, only that they would fit.
if humans wanted to have a ton of sex without contraceptives, could it occur safely, if we cut back on meat consumpton and upped vegetable consumption??

sex is a pleasurable thing, right? but what if it's overdone to the point that overpopulation of humans occur?

whose fault would that be??
According to google, the continental US minus all the water areas has 2,959,064 square land miles.

2,959,064 square miles x 27,878,400 square ft per square mile = 82,493,969,817,000 square feet. Almost 82.494 trillion square feet.

Rounding out the world`s population to 7.1 billion, everyone on the planet would each have about 11,618 square feet of space.

Many would be on tops of peaks, buildings, living at the depths of the Grand Canyon, in the deserts, in many countless ditches, in swamps or whatever.

The damned liberals can have all those less than desirable for living square footage areas. That way they can enjoy the planet they worship much better.
1.35 billion.
Originally Posted by Gus
if humans wanted to have a ton of sex without contraceptives, could it occur safely, if we cut back on meat consumpton and upped vegetable consumption??

sex is a pleasurable thing, right? but what if it's overdone to the point that overpopulation of humans occur?

whose fault would that be??

I had to check and I see you are still at your BS questions and statements. I'd get a re-check on your meds. Do they let you possess a drivers liecense where ever the hell you live?

Do us a favor and keep your pants zipped tight!
Read somewhere that Manhattan is the most densly populated place in the world.
The person that wrote that must have never been to Tokoyo or Bangkok... smile
Originally Posted by Dan_H
Read somewhere that Manhattan is the most densly populated place in the world.

You guys need to get out more...even back in the late sixties, early seventies, it was clear to me that MOST people in the United States didn't know WTF they talking about as far as overpopulation goes...the NY city area is thick as far as U.S standards go...but is lacking in the big picture.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_proper_by_population_density
The original question posted here is moot. As human will and technology advances - and the Earth reaches its full-mass of human capacity we will then surely venture far beyond the confines of this weary bloated planet and colinize new planets and new worlds.

It's either 'that' or give up SEX!
Originally Posted by P_Weed
The original question posted here is moot. As human will and technology advances - and the Earth reaches its full-mass of human capacity we will then surely venture far beyond the confines of this weary bloated planet and colinize new planets and new worlds.

It's either 'that' or give up SEX!
...........Colonize new planets and new worlds uh? Not going to happen imo.

Worlds outside the solar system? That`ll never happen. Everybody will be long dead before they even get there and that is assuming they could even get there in the first place.

Hi tekkie Star Trek type space travel? Never happen.

Ahead Zulu, warp factor 1..... laugh laugh

OK! We'll just give up SEX then.

People can reproduce ... Land can't.
Originally Posted by Gus

maybe he's giving us a practice run, allowing us to strengthen our resolve, and preparing Us to pass the Final Test? anyone know for sure??

Yes, I know for sure, Gus.

If you don't, you need to do some research. Start with John 3:16 and move on from there.
Everyone on Earth would fit in a cubic mile
Really. You could put the entire population of the Earth in a space one mile wide, one mile deep, and one mile high (one cubic mile). We'd all fit in one small corner of the Grand Canyon, which would take about 2500 cubic miles of dirt (or people) to fill.

How do we know? One cubic mile is 147,197,952,000 cubic feet. If, on average, one human being takes up a space 2 feet by 2 feet by 6 feet it means we occupy 24 cubic feet per person. Sure, kids will have extra room and some of us will be a bit squished (or a lot if you're a flabby American); but on average that's about right.

http://wow-really.blogspot.com/2006/10/high-density-housing.html
Originally Posted by Gus
humans, in some areas of the Earth are becoming quite crowded.
just observe Staten Island, Long Island, and other areas as current examples.

i'm thinking we're attempting to stuff as many humans into the eco-system down here on the Earth as possible.

is that wrong, or is that right? i dunno.

when storms come and blow away material possessions did that happen because we were unprepared, or because we think that God would never empower a tornado or hurricane to harm us, and our kind?

some muslims beleive the God of the Earth is punishing us with hurricane Sandy, Katrina, etc. but what if they're wrong in their interpretation??

Personally, I think we have more urgent matters to worry about, such as being able to perpetuate, as a nation.
Originally Posted by Gus

anyways, i just wish we could get to the point we could pass some Laws that would ensure the Safety of us All.

I pray you're attempting to make a joke with this statement.
Originally Posted by DuxHateMe
Originally Posted by Gus

I pray you're attempting to make a joke with this statement.

Ducks:

I think Gus was speaking from the Left (Democrat) side of his brain when he wrote that portion of text.

Maverick
The bigger worry economically in most developed nations is that of de-population. Many/most Western countries, along with Japan, are below replacement rate. Continued sustainability is coming solely through immigration.
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
The bigger worry economically in most developed nations is that of de-population. Many/most Western countries, along with Japan, are below replacement rate. Continued sustainability is coming solely through immigration.

Thank goodness that the northern Western Hemisphere doesn't need to rely on immigration to maintain and thereby sustain its stability. Otherwise, the citizens within the three countries which occupy that region would be requiring more illegal immigration to go along with whatever amount of legal immigration that's occurring.
Genesis 1

28 Then God blessed them, and God said to them, �Be fruitful and multiply; fill the earth and subdue it; have dominion over the fish of the sea, over the birds of the air, and over every living thing that moves on the earth.�

29 And God said, �See, I have given you every herb that yields seed which is on the face of all the earth, and every tree whose fruit yields seed; to you it shall be for food. 30 Also, to every beast of the earth, to every bird of the air, and to everything that creeps on the earth, in which there is life, I have given every green herb for food�; and it was so. 31 Then God saw everything that He had made, and indeed it was very good.
Originally Posted by Maverick940

Thank goodness that the northern Western Hemisphere doesn't need to rely on immigration to maintain and thereby sustain its stability. Otherwise, the citizens within the three countries which occupy that region would be requiring more illegal immigration to go along with whatever amount of legal immigration that's occurring.

What countries are you talking about?
DD:

Do you own a globe? The Western Hemisphere is east of the International Dateline.

Maverick
There are 2000 people in and around the town I live in....it is 121 kilomtres to the nearest town from here.
You are correct...it is over-crowded.

Have a nice day.
Originally Posted by Maverick940
DD:

Do you own a globe? The Western Hemisphere is east of the International Dateline.

Maverick

Yes, I have numerous globes.

Most of the countries in the northern half of the western hemisphere have low birth rates, thus I wanted clarification on what countries he was referring to.

Contrary to the implied intention of the OP (at least as I took it), sinking below the replacement rate is a sign of a culture in rapid decay. Actual depopulation is about the most hazardous policy that any nation can endure.
So, you've implied that North America and especially industrial North America is de-populating and therefore, is in desperate need of immigration - either illegal or legal. I see. Thank you for the clarification.
Gus, if I had a crown, I'd send it to you for being the ultimate Master of Insignificant Questions. (Is that what IQ stands-for where you are?)
That is not what I said, though you haven chosen to articulate that possible solution. The USA has recently slipped to slightly below replacement rate for the first time in our history. Canada is already in that boat.

Continued legal immigration might be one solution to that problem. Encouraging a higher birth rate due to the recognition of the excellency of one's culture has been the preferred method throughout history, at least in Judaeo-Christian contexts.

[In interest of full disclosure, I am from immigrant heritage, so am reaping the benefits of my ancestors' choices to come here.]
laugh
Yes, I was wondering when you said "...most of the countries in the northern western hemisphere...". Since there's only three, I was wondering which were you referring to. You made that very clear, a couple posts ago. Considering the economic situation and social discourse which currently plagues all three North American countries, I doubt immigration would turn that around. To the country, I think it would exacerbate the condition and current evidence certainly supports that hypothesis.
Legal immigration would be fine, I think. We could pick and choose who we want. As for illegal immigration, that is simply already illegal and thus no legislative change is required, but rather enforcement.

[As to only 3 countries in the north-western hemisphere, that's a common misconception--there are many more which qualify, which is why I asked for clarification if we were discussing only N.America]
Gus, do you know the scientific definition of carrying capacity as it applies, for example, to an elk range? It's very specific, very simple, and very realistic.

the maximum number of animals that the range can feed without using more than half each year's new growth

Applied to humans, it gets unmanageably complicated instantaneously. There's no way to figure it. We've already far surpassed Thomas Malthus's 18th-century predictions, with no end in sight so far.
Legal immigration would be fine, I think. We could pick and choose who we want. As for illegal immigration, that is simply already illegal and thus no legislative change is required, but rather enforcement.

[As to only 3 countries in the north-western hemisphere, that's a common misconception--there are many more which qualify, which is why I asked for clarification if we were discussing only N.America]

Oh, sorry, maybe you missed it the first time I wrote it, but here it is again; the northern Western Hemisphere.

There's no such things as "northwestern Hemisphere" or "north-western Hemisphere".

Give it a little google fu: there are many nations that have at least part of their land mass in the "northern Western Hemisphere." It might be easier for us to simply refer to N.America, if that is what we are actually referring to.
That is true, but why would we want to do that to Texas? Couldn't we put them in New York or California? How about Mexico....they keep sending people here, so they likely have some extra room there! grin
Originally Posted by poboy

This covers it well, as it is ongoing. And hopefully we quit electing types that prosper this type of growth thats not needed and damaging to our country.

Personally though, I couldn't live with a crowd. I have 100 acres and wish it was a couple thousand actually....
Originally Posted by rost495

....... hopefully we quit electing types that prosper this type of growth thats not needed and damaging to our country.

And if we could just outnumber the types who prosper that unneeded and quite unnecessary population growth within our nation, then we could prevent the election of officials who nurture and coddle those types of people.
© 24hourcampfire