Home
Posted By: bcolorado Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Found a great use for my fat bike. I found
this pic on another site.

Yeah, I could do this. cool

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BrentD Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
I could too. But it would get me so far back into the back country I'd probably never get an elk back out.

I like the idea and it has to be better than the mountain bike I used to ride for turkey hunting.
Posted By: savage62 Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
This is not carzy fokes
Posted By: sandcritter Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Been trying to rationalize building a fat bike. So thanks for the "excuse" grin
Posted By: bbassi Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
saw a guy on a piece of public land one time that had bike himself way in I guess and shot a deer. Seems he either had done it before or thought it out good be fore he left though. He had the deer "riding" the bike while he walked beside it. The seat was up in the body cavity and the legs straddled the wheels and were held in place by bungees. Pretty slick set up.
Originally Posted by bbassi
The seat was up in the body cavity and the legs straddled the wheels and were held in place by bungees. Pretty slick set up.

Slick indeed!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Found a great use for my fat bike. I found
this pic on another site.

Yeah, I could do this. cool

[Linked Image]

I like that!
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
bcolorado;
I trust that this finds you doing acceptably well this cool, wet evening sir.

Although I believe I've shared this tale of woe previously on the 'Fire, as you've brought up the subject of hunting off of a bicycle and the memory is fresh in my mind I thought I'd briefly share it.

Many years ago I purchased a full suspension mountain bike at the local RCMP fund raiser sale of unclaimed bikes - with the hope of hunting from it.

As we had horses at that time, my solution for carrying my rifle was to strap my leather scabbard to the front forks and handle bars - a solution which held the rifle there very well by the way, but made the rifle a little bit slow to get out and into action.

Anyway the first few trips on old skidder trails proved fairly uneventful although I did quickly learn that I was able to move quite silently through the timber and ended up getting quite close to a couple whitetail does because of that and in fact sighted one of the largest whitetail bucks I've seen in BC too.

What I'd not anticipated in my plans - ever - was that I could approach one of the local black bears without them noticing me first as they usually do when I'm on foot.

So it came to be one fine fall morning that as I rounded a tight bend in the trail, I abruptly stopped at what seemed to me at the time like something less than 15 yards from a pretty good sized bear.

As he fed blissfully in front of me, I pondered just how I was going to pull off a quick draw with my rifle - while throwing the bike at the bear and not end up in a tangled mess while actually accomplishing all that.

Truthfully a tangled mess was a good scenario in my mind at that point.

After what seemed like a few minutes, but was in all likelihood just a few seconds, I cautiously and firmly gripped the butt of the rifle and cleared my throat noisily as I pulled it free...

The bear left half way through my gymnastic performance - thankfully heading down the trail instead of towards me as at his rate of travel I'd have had a problem before the rifle was free. laugh

While I did hunt a few more times after that off of the bike, it was never quite as peaceful an experience for me after that bear encounter morning.

Hopefully you enjoyed my story this evening sir and that it didn't dissuade you from trying it out on your own.

Good luck on your upcoming hunts no matter what mode of transportation you choose.

Regards,
Dwayne
Posted By: rkamp Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12

And I was worried about going from 1.95 to 2.2 tires. Those have to be around 3.2.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Thanks Dwayne for the great story. I needed a good laugh.

My only critter experience on a bike was with a skunk. Luckily it was on a mountain bike and not on the heavier fat bike.

As I was careening around a corner, barely under control, I came upon a skunk napping in the middle of the trail. I was cleated into the pedals and was able to bunny hop over the skunk just clearing it. By the lack skunk odor I guess it was successful. Definitely a way to get the heart rate up on a ride.

I am hoping we have a good year for snow in the hills. This goofy bike with fat tires compels me to get off my arse and play in the snow. Enjoyed packed trails and frozen lakes last winter. Hoping to ride snowmobile trails this winter.

Besides, bear are in hibernation in the winter... grin

[Linked Image]
3.8 they are.
Posted By: goalie Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Oh hell yeah!!!

i bike to work year-round here in Minnesota, but the wifey is not too keen on me getting yet another bike, especially after the SS 29er debacle this summer.

Hey, maybe the 29er would work....

Posted By: old_willys Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
My buddies use them for pig hunting all the time. Plus they make a good game hauler.

[Linked Image]
I've used 'em for scouting, but never actually hunting. Like others here have said, it's pretty easy to get up close before critters figure out what you are - I've been within rock throwing distance of elk and antelope numerous times. The bear story is food for thought...
Posted By: MattMan Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
You [bleep] are a bad influence... I love it.
Posted By: Jamie Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
I've been useing my bike to hunt deer behind gstes for a couple of years. A bike that had fat tires would work well for yote hunting in the snow.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
So why don't you guys take two bikes. That way you would still have one to ride out after you kill something???
Posted By: GeorgeS3 Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Are you serious????? confused
Posted By: deflave Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
I am waiting for the fat bikes to gain popularity, become mass marketed, and buy when the price drops 50%... grin

Travis
Posted By: wageslave Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Wow, them are FAT.

Brought out 2 six points on this cart.

[Linked Image]

Pulled cart by hand when loaded with meat. grin
Originally Posted by deflave
I am waiting for the fat bikes to gain popularity, become mass marketed, and buy when the price drops 50%... grin

Travis

WTF?

Fatties aren't free?
Not these types.

Travis
Originally Posted by deflave
Not these types.

Travis

It's Weds. bro.........

THEY are.
Word.

GFY.

Travis
Posted By: JeffP40 Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
George, I'll bet Pat McManus could do it.
Originally Posted by JeffP40
George, I'll bet Pat McManus could do it.

Yes, this is why I recently upgraded to a fat bike built for 2.
Since I got a fat bike my others get ridden much less. The kicker is just how much fun it is to ride. They recently have come out with several different types of tires to make it even more versatile.

And then there is Fatbike Packrafting

http://vimeo.com/25943565

Posted By: mossbergman Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by wageslave
Wow, them are FAT.

[Linked Image]

after hunting colorado i had this same idea.
Originally Posted by wageslave
Wow, them are FAT.

[Linked Image]

I was wondering about the feasibility of a cart. How does that handle doing downhill. Do you have brakes on the cart wheels?
Posted By: snubbie Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Originally Posted by JeffP40
So why don't you guys take two bikes. That way you would still have one to ride out after you kill something???

Wasn't going to enter this thread but couldn't resist ^^this^^. I agree with JeffP40, you could ride one out and the dead deer could ride the other one.

Win,win! crazy
I like the trailers/ carts.

There are folks putting electric motors on them for an "assist".

Here is an example.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: 444Matt Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Where would one buy a fat tire mountain bike like that? It would make a lot of sense for the closed gate public land I hunt, would really cut down on the walking. Biking in a couple of miles is much better than hiking in.
I googled ebay and found several in seconds. They may not appear to be cheap, but having two horses, I'm thinking they are a steal!

I don't believe bikes are allowed behind gates. I think they are considered vehicles in the USFS vernacular. Can anyone confirm that?

Ya, some I found were 1500-$3000! I did find this at walmart that looked within what I'd be willing to pay:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mossy-Oak-Mountain-Hunter-Men-s-Bike/20526231#Product+Reviews

Not sure about about USFS, but I've seen people using bikes on the local management area lands.
Originally Posted by BrentD

I was wondering about the feasibility of a cart. How does that handle doing downhill. Do you have brakes on the cart wheels?

The first animal was all uphill. We both pulled on the front. 1/2 at a time.
Second was alot of down hill, over huge logs.
We tied a rope and the back guy was "brakes".
It is amazing how two guys can lift 1/2 a elk over a log with the wheels to help roll.
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Ya, some I found were 1500-$3000! I did find this at walmart that looked within what I'd be willing to pay:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mossy-Oak-Mountain-Hunter-Men-s-Bike/20526231#Product+Reviews

Not sure about about USFS, but I've seen people using bikes on the local management area lands.

That's where I bought mine.
It didn't have near that big of tires, although on abandoned roads it is no problem.
On that sand and the like I can see where the major big tires would be good.
Originally Posted by bcolorado
I like the trailers/ carts.

There are folks putting electric motors on them for an "assist".

Here is an example.

[Linked Image]

This motor would be illegal where I hunt in Idaho.
Posted By: stray round Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Stupid question time.

What are the benefits of such fat tires beyond a typical mtn bike?
better traction in loose terrain such as sand snow or mud is what I can figure.
Good thought about the legality.

I will have plenty to think about as I explore the hills next summer.

Thanks
On a fat bike you can air down to 5 psi or so.

They are all about flotation. Also with the size of tires, diameter and width, you can roll over all kinds of stuff without an issue.
Posted By: salsola Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Brent,

Your right about designated wilderness areas within the USFS. Bikes are considered mechanized transport and not allowed. However, the USFS and BLM around here have been drafting travel management plans which have been closing roads and two tracks in non wilderness areas that are open to "non-motorized" travel. Bikes included.

Posted By: old_willys Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
The fat tire bike seem to float over mud that my mountian bike sinks in to...
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/14/12
Check out Surly Bikes. They make several Fat Bikes. The frames are made Taiwan, seem to have a good reputation. I have a LHT I bought as a complete bike and I am building an Ogre.
www.surlybikes.com
Or Salsa, Surly's sister company.

http://fat-bike.com/2012/08/first-look-salsa-fat-bikes-for-2013/

Mine is a Mukluk 2, 2012. If you google it the pic I posted earlier shows up grin
Posted By: dodgefan Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
My wife likes the Pugsley. I didn't realize how diverse (and expensive) the bike market was until I started to look for a bike now that rucking and running aren't part of my conditioning program.
Posted By: bcolorado Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
Are you close to Golden?
A shop there lets you test ride and rent fat bikes.

The pugs is a steel offset frame a little shorter length like a mtn bike.

The mukluk is an aluminum frame 170 rear 135 front. It is a bit longer for great stability in sand/snow and a little harder to work as a mtn bike.

They are all good. I grin like a 12 year old on it.
I'm in the Springs.
I can't justify another bike plus I'm still picking up parts for the Ogre frameset I just bought. If I do get another bike it'll be a roadbike for the wife.
Posted By: BrentD Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
It seems that these bikes all (or almost all) lack suspensions. is that because the speed is assumed to be slow and the tires soft or because they don't work mechanically with suspensions for some reason?
There are some custom squishey fat bikes.

The bikes are a low production heavy bike. Suspension adds more weight and extreme cost due to low production numbers. There are only 2 suspension forks that work with the fat tires and both are out of production if I remember right.

You can get a custom full squish rig but the price will reflect it.

We can adjust the psi in the tires to fit the riding conditions and this works pretty well under most conditions.

Besides, they are a heck of a lot of fun the way the are.
oops
I'm far from an expert, but I'm thinking there just isn't much call for a full suspension fat bike. They seem like they occupy a small niche right now.
This is pretty interesting to me. I used to race road bikes so I like bikes that are thin, light, fast and COMPLETELY different. But that was then and this is now. This looks really really useful to me.

I asked earlier about using that trailer and braking downhill. I don't think anyone answered but is it "challenging" or do those trailers have surge brakes or something like that to avoid being overrun by a trailer with a mulie on it?
Posted By: roundoak Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
It most likely would be a problem with a mulie on the trailer. Definitely a problem with a cow on the trailer. grin
I don't know about the trailers, but when somebody figures out how to do it they might have a market.
Well that photo a few pages back shows someone has figure it out.

Quercus rotundus, I was looking for folks with actual experience. Not internet expertise smile smile smile smile
Bcolorado
You seem like you know something about bikes. I'm just getting into them somewhat. Can't see getting to seriously into mountain biking though. I've already broke enough bones. eek
I have a couple road bikes, old classics, a cross bike with studded tires that I used in N Dakota for winter riding, an old mtn bike set up for town riding that will be retired, a classic touring frame that will be built up this winter and the fat bike.

Kind of like having different rifles for different game.

My knees are shot from too many years working construction and this is a form of exercise I can do. Besides, it makes you feel like a kid again.
Posted By: goalie Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
Originally Posted by BrentD
Well that photo a few pages back shows someone has figure it out.

Quercus rotundus, I was looking for folks with actual experience. Not internet expertise smile smile smile smile

Not hauling animals, but have toured with a Surly Long Haul Trucker and a trailer.

No added brakes. It can get hairy. I tour with panniers mostly now, so it isn't an issue, but I wouldn't want to go downhill fast with anything heavy on a trailer behind me, even with good disk brakes.
Posted By: grouseman Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
That's a better idea for grouse hunters; bike way back away from the quad and road hunter slobs.
Posted By: ltppowell Re: Fat Bike Deer Hunting - 11/15/12
I considered going "fat" on my last bike purchase. The deal breaker for me was when I realized that almost all of the "tundra" type races are still won with 2.5" tires. I went with a Specialized Stumpjumper 29er. They look really cool though...
© 24hourcampfire