Home
Posted By: RockyRaab RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
I've read on another website that Bob Munden passed away yesterday (12/10). I haven't been able to confirm that yet, but the last time I saw him, he looked pretty sick. That was a few years ago.

Bob was known as "The Fastest Gun Who Ever Lived" and held many speed shooting world records. He was also a renowned pistolsmith.
Posted By: gunner500 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
That sucks, I enjoyed his shooting shows.

RIP Bob Munden, and Godspeed to his Family and Friends.

Gunner
Posted By: EdM Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Yes I saw that. I used to really enjoy watching him do his thing with a handgun. A master for sure.
Posted By: Buck2 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
I hate to hear that. I use to love to watch him on Shooting USA. He was very fast.
Posted By: heavywalker Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
To bad, I talked with him for about half and hour at SHOT last year. He was a good guy, down to earth as they come.

RIP Bob
Posted By: THOMASMAGNUM Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Thats a shame. Seemed like a good guy.
Posted By: 1minute Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Most definitely a skilled shooter.
Posted By: atvalaska Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
sad stuff,...he use to come up here and show his stuff!( about 200yds north of where i sit rite now)......sad.....rip .. on the tv, the one shot at what/? 300yds with 2" stub nose.....
Posted By: derby_dude Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
RIP Bob. My Ruger SBH has a Munden custom action job. I went to Bob's house for the action job. Bob and his wife were gracious hosts. Bob was quite a character.
Posted By: HankStone Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Click on any topic below to access previous In His Own Words articles.
� How is your health, Bob? August, 2011
Okay, okay, I didn�t know the crew from Shooting USA�s Impossible Shots was going to tape me talking about my health. Well they had a camera crew recording my interview, but I was somehow surprised that they aired the part when I talked about my health problems. Go figure. Camera crew not do their job? Unlikely.
Well, I�ve never been shy about talking about what�s going on. Yes, my kidneys are not happy right now. I have never had a drink or puff off a cigarette, but other things can cause problems too, like growing up poor and liking to have lots of food when I could get it. In fact, as a kid, hunting for my family with guns, a bow, sling-shots and rowboat paddles that my brothers and I used to finish off wounded ducks in the lake, those activities filled the big pot of soup my mom always had ready at our house in Big Bear, Calif.

Oh yes, then an extremely busy professional Fast-Draw competition schedule followed by a very demanding contract to entertain at school assemblies � then traveling for all the other performances Becky and I have done for 42 years across the country and overseas � we got hooked on fast, fast-food from the as the then advertised �wholesome� foods from new restaurants like McDonalds that popped up and made our lives easier, and later, not so healthy.

Okay, I wore out my knees with hard-core athletics. When I was in my 40s I tried to get my knees replaced because I have zero cartilage, but I was told I was too young. Should have maybe kept looking for a surgeon, but our schedule didn�t allow that and I basically had to stop exercising regularly and ended up with what so many other people have these days, Type II diabetes. Wonderful.

Did I really know what was going to happen with diabetes? Nope. I was at the range, on stage, in the shop and on the road.

Now I know for sure that you can�t go on ignoring diabetes and eating what you want when you want � or skip breakfast. And you have to find a way to keep exercising.

I still have 20/10 vision in both eyes, don�t take cholesterol medication, my heart is good and I lost a bunch of weight, but as of now I need to start on dialysis and my liver isn�t too happy either. Oh, Man. But I�m going to do it and then move forward with trying to get my body back to reasonable shape as I continue to work in the shop, go to the range, ride my Harley with Becky and enjoy my family.

So, I am doing pretty good for the shape I�m in. Thanks for all your good wishes. The crew from SUSA�s Impossible Shots is coming back up to Montana in October to film for another season. Do I have good ideas lined up?

Of course! � Bob Munden

Posted By: APDDSN0864 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
That is sad news, indeed. I watch him in Anchorage and was awestruck at his speed and accuracy.

May he rest in peace.

Ed
Posted By: frogman43 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Sad news indeed.....the man was magic with a SAA.......
Posted By: chesterpulley Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Bummer. I enjoyed Bob's segments on ShootingUSA, awesome talent and seemed like quite the character. RIP...
Posted By: walt501 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Sad news. I used to love to watch him on ESPN before they banished all their outdoor shows. Picked up his DVD at Cabelas just a couple of months ago.

RIP Bob. You will be missed.
Posted By: T LEE Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
If true I hope he had an easy passing and now Rests in Eternal Peace. He was one of the best.
Posted By: 65BR Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Munden

Seen Joe Bowman a the Ruger Booth in 2009, he died later that summer...

RIP to these guys.
Posted By: GeoW Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
RIP

Posted By: Mannlicher Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
hate to hear that Rocky. I always felt Bob Munden was one of the good guys.
Posted By: rte Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Bob Munden (February 8, 1942 - December 10, 2012) Kansas City, Missouri, United States[1], is a world-renowned exhibition shooter with all types of firearms, but is most well known for holding 18 world-records in Fast Draw and holding the title, "Fastest Man with a Gun Who Ever Lived."

Bob Munden started his shooting career at age 11. Beginning in high school, Bob competed in Jeff Cooper's Big Bear "Leatherslaps" shooting competitions at Big Bear Lake, California in the 1950s. The Leatherslaps eventually became the South Western Combat Pistol League (SWCPL). When Bob Munden was 17, he placed second in the 1958 Leatherslap using a Colt .45 Single Action borrowed from Cooper. He claims to have won over 3,500 fast draw trophies.

Since taking up exhibition shooting, Bob Munden has given many demonstrations to audiences, once with John Satterwhite. Bob Munden has also given shooting demonstrations on television shows the world over, most notably featured in "Super Humans" on the History Channel, American Shooter, Shooting USA, Shooting USA's Impossible Shots and Ripley's Believe it or Not. Munden has also become a custom gunsmith.

Posted By: kend Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Watching Bob was always fun for me. He will be missed by many.
Posted By: rifle Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
My favorite was the 200 yard balloon with the .22 derringer..classic!
Posted By: bea175 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
to bad , he was a great shooter with both pistol and rifle.
Posted By: trouthunterdj Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
That's bad news.

ddj
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Tuesday, December 11, 2012
Butte, Montana, USA

Bob Munden Has Died

Bob Munden, known perhaps equally as a fierce Fast-Draw competitor who was recognized by Guinness World Records as The Fastest Man with a Gun Who Ever Lived, as an exhibition shooter of the highest order with all kinds of firearms; an entertainer as well as a master gun smith who developed groundbreaking methods of customizing to
perfection the beloved .45 caliber single action revolver and other guns, died Monday of heart failure.

Munden�s wife and performance partner Becky said Tuesday she was driving home with Bob after treatment at a Missoula hospital for what doctors described as a mild heart attack. At some point between Missoula and their home of Butte, Bob mentioned he was experiencing chest pains, told Becky to keep on driving, and died.

The 70-year-old shooting sports superstar was pronounced dead upon arrival at St. James Heathcare in Butte.

This is copied from his facebook homepage.

RIP...
I always enjoyed watching him shoot.
Posted By: buddy Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Sorry to hear about Bob. I went to school with him, nice kid and great athlete and life was tough for alot of families in Big Bear those days.talked to last about 15 yrs ago seemed like the same guy. RIP
Posted By: whodat Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/11/12
Bailed him out once. Back in the the early 90's, delivered 20k in cash to some lawyer in Cape May, NJ. in exchange for a bag of handguns. Turns out, they were his and my employeer put up,the cash for his handguns.
Just remembered that I got drunker than 10 indians waiting for my return flight to Chicago, and had a difficult time bringing the guns on the flight. Needless to say the airlines okayed bringing on the guns in a carry on soft flight bag.
Those were the days.
Posted By: Odessa Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12
Always enjoyed his annual show at the Dixie Deer Classic in Raleigh - he was both an excellent exhibition shooter and a great entertainer.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12
Sorry to hear Bob Munden died. Several years ago, I watched him put on his show at the Boise Gun Show. You can't realize just how fast he was without standing nearby and watching him draw and shoot.

After the exhibition outside the building, I talked with him and John Taffin at length, at their table inside the show. Interesting conversation.

Rocky, did you have a booth at that particular show when Bob was there?

L.W.

Posted By: luv2safari Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12
Cal Erlich is not only a fast draw champion, he is a very good home builder who built my son's house in Fernley NV.

He told me that although he was very good, Bob Munden was in a different universe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIFKsnJiv2A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQo2Or1PuEI
Posted By: toltecgriz Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12
I was privileged to have met him twice. I wasn't ready for his passing. Really was a good guy and humble. Okay, I lied about the humble part but still a good guy. RIP
Posted By: Hammerdown Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12

RIP Mr.Munden

Sad news.
Posted By: Glock2240 Re: RIP Bob Munden - 12/12/12
Never had the pleasure of meeting Bob, spoke with him a few years ago on the phone, realized we knew some of the same people in different parts of the country. Prayers to his family.

Tim
© 24hourcampfire