Home
Do any of you know which ones are the best? In other words, if I send money to feed hungry children here and abroad, which one can I trust to do just that? I don't want to be funding some abortion clinic somewhere or any gun control measures. You never know who is aligned with whom in these non-profit organizations.

Also of importance is: Which charities actually use the money collected for their stated purpose and not just a tiny % with the rest going towards advertising and so forth?
http://www.guidestar.org/
And fyi - if feeding hungry children is your main interest, surely there are some first hand ways you can accomplish that locally with great affectiveness. Many churches operate affective foodbanks and a dollar there goes a LONG way. Often infinitely longer than any internation organizaiton advertising on TV.
I have been involved with local churches and charities and will continue to help them.
Support your local "crisis pregnancy center" -pro-life. A good overseas children's ministry is World Vision.
St Judes Childrens hoppital is my go to charity.
Navy Relief & Salvation Army just to name two.

Marine Corps Toys for Tots to name another.
I like Young Life. It puts college age Christian mentors in the high schools to befriend the young people attending there. It gives the young people a good solid outlet for fun n fellowship. The mentors can guide the high school kids through some tough times in their lives when they aren't really receptive to adult counsel.
Landrum,

Locally there is a women and children shelter we help. We know the money is used for the women and children right here in town.
I used to donate a lot to the local food bank. When we were collecting 10-30 deer a week we donated 100% of the meat. Then they told us they didn't want it any longer and wanted beef instead. Haven't donated anything to them since.
I like the USO, local VFW & American Legion, Salvation Army and a local house for terminally ill patients who have no place else to go for comfort care in the last stages of life.
as far as nation wide types, for awhile i was volunteering alot of time with the Optimist's which focuses on childhood cancer quite heavily along with doing local projects the individual clubs run.....the organization is truly a bottom up type organization with very few paid positions at the top, everyone else is strictly volunteer with some travel costs covered for some state/region positions....i would and do contribute money to them...

http://www.optimist.org/
I donate to the Human Fund.
I had a list of good and bad....I was amazed at how little actually made it to the core cause with some of the more well known "charities"
Originally Posted by teal
I donate to the Human Fund.

laugh
Money for People.!
I donate a portion of my pay check to the American Cancer Society and Hospice. I have a hard time donating to anything else.......I feel like the bums get enough of my pay check through taxes, no way I'm giving them any extra.
For the past 3 years,the majority of my charitable contributions have primarily gone to Wounded Warriors.
Originally Posted by RISJR
For the past 3 years,the majority of my charitable contributions have primarily gone to Wounded Warriors.

I want to support their idea, but they are a very poorly run charity. They have a terrible rating and are very top heavy. The recent run in they had about not wanting to have anything to do with activities that involved guns put a point on it.
The Salvation Army does great work for reaching people truly in need. I give to St. Jude's children hospital too.
I got this list from an Aunt some time ago. I have not "verified" it's accuracy, but those mentioned are supposed to be among the "good" charities.

We give to several of them, but not to all.

The Salvation Army
96 percent of donated dollars go to the cause.

The American Legion
National Commander receives a $0.00 zero salary.

The Veterans of Foreign Wars

The Disabled American Veterans

The Military Order of Purple Hearts

The Vietnam Veterans AssociationNational Commanderreceives a $0.00 zero salary.

Make a Wish: For children's last wishes.
100% goes to funding trips or special wishes for a dying child.

St. Jude Research Hospital
100% goes towards funding and helping Children with Cancer who have no insurance and can not afford to pay.

Ronald McDonald Houses
All monies go to running the houses for parentswho have critical Children in the hospital.
100% goes to housing, and feeding the families.

Lions Club International
100% OF DONATIONS GO TO HELP THE BLIND,BUY HEARING AIDES, SUPPORT MEDICAL MISSIONS AROUND THE WORLD. THEIR LATEST UNDERTAKING IS MEASLES VACCINATIONS (ONLY $1.00 PER SHOT).
Our extra goes to a local operation for abused women and children.
The Salvation Army helps when no one else can or will.
Salvation Army is for real. A great uncle who was in WWII said that the RedCross was about worthless, but the Salvation Army came through for the boys. Some of the other charities are so loaded up with executive salaries that I wonder if that isn't their main goal. I usually prefer local charities so I can see where my money goes. Of the nationwide charities, the Salvation Army and St. Jude get my donations.
I read an article recently that said the Salvation Army was one of the best and Good Will was one of the worst...
I donate to the Salvation Army and Hunt of a Lifetime.

St. Judes.

Gunner
I like to donate to our local shelter for homeless men & women and also to the local humane society for the less fortunate four-legged creatures.
Salvation army
Originally Posted by travelingman1
St Judes Childrens hoppital is my go to charity.

+1
Salvation Army is in a class by itself.

Samaritan's Purse is also well organized.
I am a big fan of salvation army. Great operation.

Its also my opinion that the more "local" a charity, the better off. I prefer non-charities. Know / see a family in town who appears to need help. Word of mouth. Church/scouts. Everyone knows someone.

Staying away from anything endorsed by anyone famous, or pink/purple/yellow whatever ribbon colors du-jour helps insure you arent just making car payments for some administrators kid.

Provide an annonymous gift and you can bet that 100% goes to the need.

Originally Posted by GeauxLSU
And fyi - if feeding hungry children is your main interest, surely there are some first hand ways you can accomplish that locally with great affectiveness. Many churches operate affective foodbanks and a dollar there goes a LONG way. Often infinitely longer than any internation organizaiton advertising on TV.

+1
Saint Jude Hospital for Children are who I donate to..
Originally Posted by GeauxLSU

Also good is http://www.charitynavigator.org

Lots of good charities out there if you look.
Salvation army gets our giveaways to resell... Hospice for end of life care... locally, youth retention and conservation projects, independently and cooperative with Game & Fish... Gift packages to those serving overseas is always a winner for all involved.

I'm not much for handing over money for someone else to squander and walk away thinking I made a difference... gotta look'm in the eye and get your hands dirty to know for sure... and the real difference is to the recipient... you.

Kent
Beside my church, I support Gleaners Food Bank and Shepherd Community Center here in Indy.
Salvation Army -- in all three countries in which I have first hand knowledge.

I carefully checked out charities in Canada, USA and Sweden (when I lived in each country) and the Sally Ann was always ranked among the very best for low overheads, no bloated CEO salaries -- and actually spending the money they raised to help people.

John
Fire Department.....
I try to keep it local. Colorado Discover Ability http://www.cdaioa.com/ gets our help when possible. The way I see it, you get two birds with one stone. It helps the disabled person, yes. But it also gives the healthy person pause before bitching about how bad they have it when they see these folks out and about.
salvation army
or
your local church

i assure you there are hurting families/children in your immediate area.
SALVATION ARMY AND LIGHT OF LIFE MISSION IN PITTSBURGH, PA.
How about PETA?
United Cerebral Palsy is a good one and not unknown to the campfire because of the golf tournament.
I know the Georgia affiliate has a 14% admin cost, one of the lowest of all the non-profits.
© 24hourcampfire