Home
Noted actor Charles Durning,age 89 has Stood Down. A Genuine WWll Hero. A Ranger on Omaha Beach on D-Day. Rest Easy War Brother. You put yourself on the line in a way most could not. Present Arms!
Amen.
Posted By: RNF Re: Charles Durning has Stood Down - 12/25/12
May he Rest in Peace, hard to find anymore like him anymore.
He was one of the Good Ones. RIP
yes, Durning was one of the good guys. He will be missed.
Posted By: jpb Re: Charles Durning has Stood Down - 12/25/12
I knew that he had served, but I Googled up a little more specific info...

He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

�Too many bad memories,� he told an interviewer in 1997. �I don't want you to see me crying.�

from The LA Times, oddly enough

An enemy soldier bayonets him, and he still manages to kill the guy with a rock. That's hardcore...

John
I never cared much for him, as he played supporting roles. Then I realized how good he was in those roles ie in "The Sting" and I then had more respect. When I found out what his service was in WWII, he had my utmost respect. Gone but not forgotten...
RIP Charles Durning American Fighting Man!!

Durning served in the U.S. Army during World War II. Drafted at age 21, he was first assigned as a rifleman with the 398th Infantry Regiment, and later served overseas with the 3rd Army Support troops and the 386th Anti-aircraft Artillery (AAA) Battalion. For his valor and the wounds he received during the war, Durning was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Heart medals.[6]

Durning participated in the Normandy Invasion of France on D-Day, June 6, 1944, and was among the first troops to land at Omaha Beach. In Episode S03E09 of the program Dinner for Five, which also included Burt Reynolds, Dom DeLuise and Charles Nelson Reilly), Reynolds spoke about Durning's service career for him, as Durning did not like to talk about it much. Reynolds revealed that Durning was in a group of gliders who overshot their landing zone and that he had to fight alone all the way back to the beach. Reynolds also stated that his own father was there fighting about 15 yards away and that Durning was probably the most decorated veteran (then) still alive from World War II.[7] Some sources state that he was with the 1st Infantry Division at the time, but it is unclear if he served as a rifleman or as a member of one of the division's artillery battalions.[citation needed]

Durning was wounded by a German �S� Mine on June 15, 1944 at Les Mare des Mares, France. He was transported to the 24th Evacuation Hospital. By June 17 he was back in England at the 217th General Hospital. Although severely wounded by shrapnel in the left and right thighs, the right hand, the frontal region of the head, and the anterior left chest wall, Durning recovered quickly and was determined to be fit for duty on December 6, 1944. He arrived back at the front in time to take part in the Battle of the Bulge, the German counter-offensive through the Ardennes Forest of Belgium and Luxembourg in December 1944.[8][9]

After being wounded again, this time in the chest, Durning was repatriated to the United States. He remained in Army hospitals to receive treatment for wounds until being discharged with the rank of Private First Class on January 30, 1946.
Peace, old soldier. Rest in peace.
Thanks for Posting Jim...I knew Durning had survived the massacre at Malmedy, some of his other accomplisments I did not know of. Tis a sad start to Xmas...
Good man and a good actor.
I have watch him play the old Marine on NCIS several times.
And in peacetime, he deserved an oscar for this particular turn cool

I only wish I could leave such a joyful performance for posterity, and given what he had seen and endured, all the more remarkable....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJG75FJkjr8

Birdwatcher
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090062/
Stand down trooper, your duty is done. A warm thank you and hand salute.
RIP Charles frown - My hats off to you..................
he was a great actor, RIP ,
Saaalluuute!
Sad day..Thank you Charles Durning and may you RIP
Always one of my favorites. Well done.
RIP Mr. Durning. He was a fine man, served his country, and entertained us as well.
although Durning played all kinds of roles....and could be a really sinister bad guy....that role in BLWIT is the way I'll remember him.

RIP
Posted By: KDK Re: Charles Durning has Stood Down - 12/25/12
Originally Posted by Dobetown

That is my very favorite episode of NCIS.

Rest in peace, sir.
May he rest in peace.

Salute!

Ed
It's pretty amazing he lived as long as he did with his weight problem.
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444

I love that Pappy O'Daniel character!

RIP.
Just read where jack Klugman went today also.
RIP sir. We'll try to hold the line you defended with honor.
I wonder what surviving WWII vets think of this country today?
About 12 years ago, my wife and I were in Washington,DC and went to a play at the Kennedy Center. It was Charles During in "The Gin Game". Always enjoyed his movies but it was special to see him live. He did a great job of it.
RIP Sir.

he also played father hubley on "everybody loves raymond". rip
He wasn't able to do "a little side-step" this time.

RIP great American.
Originally Posted by bucktales
RIP Sir.

Man, that looked hard for him to get through.
Whoever researched that for Burt Reynolds evidently got it wrong. In his own words Durning relates how he hit the beach from a "barge" and almost drowned
in the surf.
No mention of being in the glider or parachute assault that landed inland behind the German defenses.

A brave soldier who spoke of the heroics of others and not his own.
Arlington deserves this man.
Originally Posted by ingwe
Thanks for Posting Jim...I knew Durning had survived the massacre at Malmedy, some of his other accomplisments I did not know of. Tis a sad start to Xmas...

Ya know there Ingwe.. when I have to go, I can't think of a better time than Christmas...when for a brief period, we supposedly have a little piece on earth and good will to our fellow man..

back to the OP... Durning was a good man, an accomplished actor, and a young man who did his job when his country called...

A hardy Salute to an Old Soldier and a Fine Gentleman!

Peace be with you Mr Durning...
RIP Soldier......
Originally Posted by jpb
I knew that he had served, but I Googled up a little more specific info...

He was among the first wave of U.S. soldiers to land at Normandy during the D-Day invasion and the only member of his Army unit to survive. He killed several Germans and was wounded in the leg. Later he was bayoneted by a young German soldier whom he killed with a rock. He was captured in the Battle of the Bulge and survived a massacre of prisoners.

In later years, he refused to discuss the military service for which he was awarded the Silver Star and three Purple Hearts.

�Too many bad memories,� he told an interviewer in 1997. �I don't want you to see me crying.�

from The LA Times, oddly enough

An enemy soldier bayonets him, and he still manages to kill the guy with a rock. That's hardcore...

John

To think that John KERRY also received a Silver Star and 3 Purple Hearts plus a Bronze Star !!!

The injustice of life is too much...
Yet another member of The Greatest Generation has been called home. Rest In Peace sir.
Originally Posted by KDK
Originally Posted by Dobetown

That is my very favorite episode of NCIS.

Rest in peace, sir.

R.I.P. Charles Durning, you certainly earned it!!

I agree on the great episode of NCIS, it's one of my favorites also!!

He was nominated for an Emmy Award for his portrayal of a Marine veteran in "Call of Silence," an episode of the television series NCIS, first broadcast November 23, 2004. Drawing on his first-hand knowledge of the lingering effects of battle-induced stress, Durning's character turns himself in to authorities, insisting that he must be prosecuted for having murdered his buddy during ferocious combat on Iwo Jima six decades earlier.[14] The real truth of the incident only becomes known for certain when the guilt-stricken veteran goes through a cathartic reliving of the battlefield events.

Spent last evening with my 93.5 year old Father-In-Law(he's got Charles by almost 4 years) who was also at the Battle Of The Bulge. He was thrilled to have received a new I-pad that was loaded up with many family pictures. It makes one wonder how many more Christmases that will happen!??
Rest In Honored Peace Mr. Durning.
RIP Sir.
© 24hourcampfire