Home
The rear view mirror in my wife's minivan keeps falling off. It's been glued on by the windshield folks, a mechanic and by myself at least twice. I opened the door on Sunday to drive it out to the barn to do an oil change and the damned mirror is hanging by it's wires again.

I've used the glue and cleaner kits sold at the auto parts store, but it obviously didn't work all that well. Does anybody have any recommendations for a REALLY good adhesive for this application?
I've had good luck with plain old super glue. YMMV.
Go to a glass shop and they'll glue it on for you for next to nothing -- and it will stay!!
Gorilla Super Glue....has worked for the past year for me.
I have used the kits also on my wife's Tahoe and could never get them to work very long. Last time I got mad and took it to Safelite Auto Glass. Knock on wood, has been over a year now.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'm leaning toward picking up some Gorilla brand super glue at this point.
Gorilla glue is good. They have a super glue that is thinner and quick dry, and a regular glue. Get the regular glue. It's much stronger. I glued the rear trunk handle back on my car earlier last year with this stuff.

[Linked Image]

Eric
When you glue on the mirror bracket, leave a wet towel laying on the dash. The gorilla glue sets up harder with moisture....
Perhaps a through hole and screw? smile
Originally Posted by huntsman22
When you glue on the mirror bracket, leave a wet towel laying on the dash. The gorilla glue sets up harder with moisture....

I have been eying that glue off for a while now...with that tip I shall give it a go.
Normally I just use 24 hour Araldite.
Went to the local glass place - stuck it on for 10 bucks and hasn't fallen off in years.
Originally Posted by Stush
Perhaps a through hole and screw? smile

I'm not quite there yet. Almost, but not quite. grin
Cruise through downtown Saginaw.

You'll NEED a new windshield after...
Wrigleys. It works on damned near everything. I've had that stuff stuck to stuff for years & still can't get it off wink

The last time I used one of those kits from the auto store, I thought about roughing up the surface of the glass a little for a better grip with the glue if I ever had to do it again.

Before that happened, though, I bought a Honda and the damn mirror just won't fall off.
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
Cruise through downtown Saginaw.

You'll NEED a new windshield after...

I haven't been through downtown Saginaw in close to 20 years. I don't really miss it, either. wink
Cabela's opens Feb 14th...
Don't glue it!

Use duct tape. wink
Never had a problem using the commercial kits.
When used as directed. ( cleaning, temperature etc)
Ford products seem to be the worst IME for hanging onto the mirrors.
Don't give the woodtick any ideas...

Next he'll be tryin to drill a hole through the glass and usin a muffler clamp. grin
You're onto something.

A spreader bar screwed into the A pillars with the mirror clamped to that would work.
I looked up "rear view mirror adhesive" on the innanet and came up with a couple of solutions.

Either the 3M or the Loctite kit. If I had to glue the mirror back on in my truck these would be my choices. I trust both brands implicitly and if you've used either product and they didn't work it's not the product that failed.

Both kits contains not only glue but also an activator. The Loctite product is approved by GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

Here's the links for both.

http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/me...ite-Rear-View-Mirror-Repair-Adhesive.htm

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...nid=JJHQSCX1N5gsMDCVJW7L8SglRF5L45T8R3bl

I can't speak from experience gluing on a rear view mirror but I've have used super glue (cyanoacrylate adhesive) with an activator (accelerent) and it does make a difference.

Follow the directions to the letter and make sure you remove all traces of the old adhesive.
After mine fell off in my Chevy truck I just threw it behind the seat. So long as you have 2 side mirrors you don't need a rearview.
fish head, I think it was the Loctite kit I used last summer. I followed the directions, scraped the old adhesive off, temps were fine, etc. Mirror fell off after about 7 months.

I think I'll try AJ's tip of drilling a hole through the windshield and using a bolt. Does anybody know whether I should use a fine thread or coarse thread tap on glass? grin
Originally Posted by Steelhead
After mine fell off in my Chevy truck I just threw it behind the seat. So long as you have 2 side mirrors you don't need a rearview.

I'd like to throw this whole vehicle. It's getting to the point where it's starting to cost me money same as if I were still making payments on it. frown
Originally Posted by bruinruin
fish head, I think it was the Loctite kit I used last summer. I followed the directions, scraped the old adhesive off, temps were fine, etc. Mirror fell off after about 7 months.

I think I'll try AJ's tip of drilling a hole through the windshield and using a bolt. Does anybody know whether I should use a fine thread or coarse thread tap on glass? grin

Use a self tapping/self drilling sheet metal screw. That way you won't need to use a nut on the backside.

Another fish head tip ... countersink it deep enough so the wipers won't hang up. wink

One more thought. Does the mirror have a tab than can be replaced? If it does then you can be assured that you have a fresh surface for the adhesive to stick to. It should be easy enough to see and feel if the glass is clean.

I'd like to throw this whole vehicle. It's getting to the point where it's starting to cost me money same as if I were still making payments on it. frown

There ain't no 'free' rides.....just sayin'......
Originally Posted by huntsman22

There ain't no 'free' rides.....just sayin'......

That's a fact!
Originally Posted by fish head

Use a self tapping/self drilling sheet metal screw. That way you won't need to use a nut on the backside.

Another fish head tip ... countersink it deep enough so the wipers won't hang up. wink

One more thought. Does the mirror have a tab than can be replaced? If it does then you can be assured that you have a fresh surface for the adhesive to stick to. It should be easy enough to see and feel if the glass is clean.

Hey, that's a darned good tip. I would hate to have to cut a notch out my wiper blade to keep it from hanging up on the screw head. laugh

Yeah, the mirror does have a removable base that glues on first, then after the adhesive dries, the mirror is installed and set screw snugged up. I always clean the surface of the tab with MEK and fine sand paper before re-gluing.
Buy a new tab. It might have a special coating that aids in adhesion.

That's what I'd do.
Originally Posted by fish head
Buy a new tab. It might have a special coating that aids in adhesion.

That's what I'd do.

Worth a try. I'll see what I can find.
Loctite has new super glue out and has different kinds (quick dry, strongest, ect.)....I have used that stuff on everything and it works better than anything I have ever used before

Including Gorilla Glue

I rarely get more than 2 years out of a windshield, due to the dirt roads. New glass come with the bracket already installed.......
© 24hourcampfire