Home
John Barsness Awarded 2013 Bushnell Bill McRae Lifetime Achievement Award, January 16, 2013
(Press release and images available at www.howardcommunications.com)

Overland Park, KS. - Bushnell Outdoor Products established the Bushnell Bill McRae Lifetime Achievement Award to recognize the vast contributions the legendary writer and photojournalist made to the optics and outdoor industry during his 50-year career. Introduced in 2011, the annual award was established to both honor McRae and recognize current and future journalists who have made a profound impact in the industry.

The 2013 Bushnell Bill McRae Lifetime Achievement Award recipient certainly fits that bill. During his 20-year career as a journalist and outdoor writer, John Barsness has been published in the majority of the hunting and shooting magazines on the market as well as in titles such as Sports Illustrated and National Geographic. As the first optics columnist for Petersen's Hunting, Barsness educated thousands of readers on the subject.

In addition to the hundreds of published articles, John has authored 10 books on the outdoor experience, with a focus on hunting, shooting, fly fishing and optics, and has an 11th title on hunting optics scheduled to be released this fall.

"It is a pleasure to join Bushnell in recognizing a fellow outdoorsman who has not only contributed individually, but who has helped many others throughout his career. John has dedicated his career to covering the outdoor experience while educating countless readers along the way," said Bill McRae.

As a Montana native, John was introduced to hunting at an early age. He has hunted across North America as well as the Arctic and all the way to southern Africa. He resides in his home state of Montana with his wife and fellow author Eileen Clarke. Together, they publish their own books as well as the online hunting and shooting magazine Rifle Loony News. John is a staff writer for several hunting and shooting magazines, although he spends less time traveling now and more days afield in his home state hunting with family and friends.

In addition to the industry award, Bushnell endowed a scholarship at the University of California, Davis for students pursuing a degree in optical science and engineering. The $7,500 annual scholarship at UC Davis, a nationally renowned optics institution, was the College of Engineering's first corporate-sponsored scholarship named for an individual.
'grats, JB.

Steve.
CONGRATULATIONS!

We are lucky to have him as a member here.
Cool Beans- and I know Bill is a freind of John's to boot!
A well-deserved honor.
Congratulations John.
Congratulations, John!
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
A well-deserved honor.
Congratulations John.
+ a bunch!
Appreciate all that you have contributed.
Congratulations !

Jim
what a great honor, and for such a good guy too. smile
Way to go JB!
Congrats! Nice to see a good guy recognized.
Amen - and well deserved, too.
Congrats John!! Couldn't have been given to a better person....
Way to go John! Congrads to Ya!
Proud of ya John!!!!
Nice. Congrats.
Well deserved.
I learned a lot from that guy and enjoyed every word of it.
Let me add my congratulations to a nice guy! One of the few (very few) gun writers that I'll even read. A well deserved honor.
cool

Sure influenced my reloading, and understanding of rifles, and optics.

Anybody that can cut through that amount of dumb deserves several awards.
congratulations and way to go John!

and, i think studying all of that art has really paid off, leading to "artistically executed firearms writing"...
Congratulations, John! You "done good".
congrats john. well deserved. you've made my loony-ness worse and cost me a lot of money. smile
congrats indeed - JB has been a great service to many shooters and hunters over the years, and the award is well deserved smile
Congrats John!!!
Now his hat will not fit his head.

Well done JB!
'bout time. grin
Big Congrats, John!
Well done!!!
Congratulations on a richly deserved honor.
Outstanding! Well deserved.

I believe that JB will be, and to many of us, is, currently recognized as the most knowledgeable and scientific gunwriter in history.And therefor, the best. His opinions are based on facts that are the result of extensive testing and thorough analysis, not some wild ass speculations that is backed up by blind conviction and meager or no experience.

We should count our blessings.

John's writing is so accurate and credible that he is in first place, followed by a bunch of writers tied for tenth place.

I thoroughly enjoy his intolerance of some posters here at the Fire, and elsewhere, who have strongly held opinions based on thin air. They are the ones who are frequently in error, but never in doubt.

The one recognition that he fully deserves but will never get, is the formal recognition as the best gunwriter ever. And that is because there is no such formal recognition. But most of us here at the Fire know that such recognition is well deserved.

Steve
Very deserving! Heartiest congratulations!
Posted By: EWY Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/16/13
Originally Posted by hillbillybear
Congratulations on a richly deserved honor.

+ 1 and thank you, John.

Ernie
Nicely done!
Hear! Hear! Congratulations and well deserved.
The reason I'm here.....awesome achievement; congratulations. smile
I think its hilarious that Cal Davis now has a scholarship named after an american icon of shooting and hunting. That's awesome. Congrats Mr. Barsness.
Posted By: barm Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/16/13
Congratulations, John!!!
Originally Posted by CaneSlinger
A well-deserved honor.
Congratulations John.

Same goes for me MD. Congrats!
Congratulations, sir!!!
Congratulations, John. Much deserved.
Good Job JB.Congrats
"Barsness, a deserved award...."

Yep!
Congrats John, you carry a lot of weight in the field of loonyism!
Congrats, JB!!! Very well deserved!
Well done John and congratulations!!
Kudos for sure
Congratulations MD....a well deserved honor.
Posted By: CRS Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/17/13
Congratulations
JB

If you come down here to bushel PM me and I'll take you out to some good BBQ.

Congrats!

Spot
Congratulations John!
CONGRATULATIONS!

We are lucky to have him as a member here.

+1!
Posted By: eh76 Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/17/13
Congrats John!
Congrats John. Well deserved!
Congrats John
Stand up and take a bow, JB. Congrats.
I've always enjoyed reading John's work with sport optics. Very well deserved JB.

Roy
Who's John Barnnest?
(Just kidding)

Congrats!
Woulda had my vote, too.
Sincere and hearty congratulations to John Barsness!
Congratulations, JB! This award is well deserved, and all of us are very proud of you and of your association with us here at the Campfire.

L2S
Posted By: jpb Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/17/13
Well, I fear that there is a risk that with all these positive posts, John's head might explode.

To prevent this, I think I should post some of many negatives about the man. So, here goes....

Crap! Can't think of any.

Congrats John!

John
Congrats JB!

no one on the campfire was surprised....

we know you deserve it!

thanks for all you do and the wisdom you share with the rest of us every day guys on the street...
Posted By: DZG Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/17/13
Congratulations John! Well deserved, I have learned so much from your books, and the campfire. Best!

Originally Posted by Seafire
Congrats JB!

no one on the campfire was surprised....

we know you deserve it!

thanks for all you do and the wisdom you share with the rest of us every day guys on the street...

+1
+1
+1 and
+1!

Alvaro
Posted By: Rug3 Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/17/13
Joining many others here who also appreciate you. Congratulations John!

Jim
^
Congrats John. You have no idea what a blessing it is to be able to read your work and then come here and question the author.
John, My Congrats as well!
Excellent,John, way to go. You deserve it. Always helping the rest of us along the way.
Congrats John! Well deserved, indeed.

WN
Very nice, Congrats MD.

Gunner
Congratulations! He's a man of his word, among many other values, and his contribution to the public is thus above compare.

Dennis
Congrats. Mr. Barsness
Congratulations to a deserving writer, and you too JB... grin
Congratulations, John.

Obviously I am not the only one that claims you as my favorite gun-writer. It is nice to see your talent recognized. Thank you for your considerable contribution to our sport.
Congrats to a wonderful individual!
Posted By: GeoW Re: Barsness, a deserved award... - 01/18/13
You da man. Congratulations John!
Well deserved. Congratulations, John!
Congratulations JB well deserved and hard earned!
Congratualtions John.

Congrats John, Well deserved recognition
You're too young for a Lifetime Achievement Award but congrats well deserved!!

O.K. it has been awhile, where is a picture of the award, I hear it is nice!!!
I certainly appreciate the time he spends here at the Fire with us as he's brought volumes of useful and practical information to us at no charge.

His books don't stay on my shelf long as friends seem to borrow them a lot.

Thanks John!
I must also add, even though he has caller ID, he will still answer the phone when I call...
Congratulations John!
Congratulations, John! Truly a well deserved award!

Ed
© 24hourcampfire