Home

He picked the wrong city for a victory tour! mad

Gov. Cuomo in Rochester to ceremoniously sign gun control legislation

Posted at: 01/16/2013 10:41 AM | Updated at: 01/16/2013 7:28 PM
By: Ray Levato | WHEC.com

One day after he signed the toughest gun law in the nation, Governor Cuomo came to Rochester to honor the memory of the two West Webster firefighters killed Christmas Eve with an assault weapon.

The state's new law has been controversial. The news about Governor Cuomo coming to Rochester for a ceremonial signing of the new gun law wasn't widely publicized. But word got out, and a handful of second amendment protesters gathered outside city hall.

Bob Meyer carried a large American flag, and another one that said "Don't Tread on Me."

Bob Meyer said, �My 2nd Amendment rights are being violated.�

He said the new law hamstrings people's ability to protect their homes and property from intruders.

Meyer said, �Criminals won't respect this law. Criminals don't respect any law.�

David Luther said he felt it was important to stand for his principles.

David Luther said, �The government seems intent on restricting our rights, but doing their job like maybe passing a balanced budget or things like that just never happens.�

In response to that, A Governor�s spokesman pointed out that every year the Governor has been in office he has passed on time balanced budgets with no new taxes, fees or borrowing gimmicks.

Governor Cuomo was due at 11:00 a.m. He arrived a little late and was ushered in through a back entrance to a waiting crowd that packed City Hall atrium. The Governor spoke about how the law recognizes sacrifices of the two West Webster firefighters who were killed by an assault rifle Christmas eve, and two others who were wounded.

Gov. Cuomo said, �And what's called the Webster provision, which is we protect our first responders. Common sense, protect the first responders. Protect your first responders.�

After, he was surrounded by local leaders for a ceremonial signing of the law that was passed Tuesday and then he took questions.

News10NBC asked about the issue raised by the protesters that this law infringes on the rights of legal gun owners.

Ray Levato said, �Now Governor Cuomo, how does this law address the scourge of illegal handguns that claim so many lives including in the city of Rochester?

Governor Cuomo said, �The law also increases the criminal penalties on many illegal handguns and the use of illegal handguns and the crimes committed with illegal handguns. So it does that also.�

Levato said, �Governor, how do you address this whole enforcement aspect of it like gun dealers, gun shops that kind of thing?

Cuomo said, �Part of disseminating information about the bill is so local law enforcement and gun dealers, everyone knows the new rules and the new laws because they will be enforced by local law enforcement.

When the Governor left City Hall, people in the crowd stared heckling him but he appeared to shrug it off.

Governor Cuomo says this was the most important thing he's done as an elected official. He says it ranks right up there with bringing sense to the state budget and marriage equality which he said was profoundly important.

Did you throw anything at him? Get it on video?
Great leader NY has there. Now go pay some more taxes to feed him.
I predict he will stay in Albany for a while. Thanks to a few good people for giving him he'll! The guy is a total fraud.
Law abiding NY gun owners are welcome in Texas!
I see that he erased his schedule for next week. I guess he doesn't want us to know where he is going.

http://www.governor.ny.gov/calendar
Becareful he may be coming to y'all

Gov. Cuomo Takes Gun Law Victory Lap

BY Ken Lovett

Gov. Cuomo held a ceremonial bill signing of his new gun control law today in Rochester, just miles from the town of Webster, where two firefighters were shot to death Christmas Eve by a man who lured them to his house by setting it on fire.

Cuomo said the new law is among his greatest achievements as governor, up there with the 2010 passage of gay marriage.

�No doubt this is right up there because this will make New York safer and that is important�especially for a community still reeling from the pain of Webster,� he said.

Cuomo at the event shot down criticism that he pushed through his gun control package without enough public input. Critics have charged the deal was negotiated behind closed doors and then rushed to the floor for a vote without the bill aging the usually required three days.

�Anyone who says there�s been no discussion of gun control has been living on a different planet for decades,� Cuomo said. �There�s nothing in this bill that hasn�t been discussed for years and years and years.�

�How many people have to die before government acts?� he went on. �How many families have to grieve before government acts?How many more Websters have to happen before government acts? How many more Newtown, Connecticuts have to happen before government acts?�

�Enough in my opinion. Enough innocent people have lost their lives. Something has to be done.�

The new law, which Cuomo actually first signed in Albany on Tuesday just minutes after it received final passage in the Assembly, expands the state ban on assault weapons, restricts ammunition magazines to no more than seven bullets, down from the previous 10, requires universal background checks, enacts measurers designed to keep firearms out of the hands of the mentally ill, and increases gun-related criminal penalties. It also requires that gun licenses be renewed every five years.

In recognition to the shootings in nearby Webster, Cuomo noted the new law requires life in prison with no chance for parole for the murder of first responders.

Cuomo said he expects the bill will be challenged legally, but said he believes �when they actually understand what it is, they will actually be comforted.�

�This is not about hunters, this is not about sportsmen,� he said. �This is about keeping the hands out of the hands of people who are mentally ill and dangerous to themselves and others� as well as criminals.

Cuomo held the event around the same time President Obama was outlining his gun control plans. Obama did not reference New York's new law.

The NRA, some Republican state lawmakers and other critics charge Cuomo's successful push for New York to be the first to enact new gun control measures after last month's school massacre in Newtown, Ct. was done more to bolster his national ambitions.

He will not make it out of NY
I wouldn't wish that on anyone.....well maybe Jeff_O
I would seriously move. Why stay?
Some one should have stressed the fact that assault Weapons did not kill these people. Our State Government did by releasing this killer after only 17 years . ---- Copied from a newspaper-- "A gunman who killed two firefighters in a Christmas Eve ambush in upstate New York told a parole hearing 20 years ago that he �couldn�t explain� why he had murdered his grandmother and was unsure if he would kill again.
William Spengler, 62, killed himself in the Dec. 24 ambush in which he laid a trap for first responders by setting his Webster, N.Y. home ablaze then opening fire on a volunteer fire crew.
Spengler was a violent ex-con who had spent 17 years in prison for beating his 92-year-old grandmother to death with a hammer in 1981."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/webster-killer-warned-kill-article-1.1229383#ixzz2IGwHYjXw
I do believe he screwed the pooch and committed political suicide on the national stage
Originally Posted by dvdegeorge

Jeff will Likely be voting for him in 2016

Gov. Cuomo Takes Gun Law Victory Lap

BY Ken Lovett

Cuomo said the new law is among his greatest achievements as governor, up there with the 2010 passage of gay marriage.

That says it all.

-Ken

Originally Posted by noKnees

Jeff will Likely be voting for him in 2016

Only for his first term though. crazy
doubtless.
I do believe he screwed the pooch and committed political suicide on the national stage

So do I. wink
I guess we took a gernade for the rest of you guys
I sure miss Pataki
Said it before, Colorado is next. The governor already expressed his eagerness to pounce on gun owners. He said "the time is right for more gun control." And our state has a democratic majority. Wife and I already talked about different places to move since CO is becoming CA.
If I were in Colorado and looking for a place to go, I'd be looking at Wyoming.
That is one the list...Cannot draw a good deer tag here anyway. Not to mention antelope!
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

We are full whistle
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Said it before, Colorado is next. The governor already expressed his eagerness to pounce on gun owners. He said "the time is right for more gun control." And our state has a democratic majority. Wife and I already talked about different places to move since CO is becoming CA.

Connecticut is not far behind either. Many states in the lib east will fall IMHO.

-Ken
we need some 60s style justice on these bastards.
It should also be pointed out that this is part of a larger attack on the traditional fabric of our society: so Cuomo said that this anti-gun bill was "the most important thing he's done as an elected official," along with...[drum roll]...New York's new gay marriage bill! Surprise surprise...

Hope it gets challenged in the courts and he loses. Really make him look like a jerk among his peers.
I sure miss Pataki

AMEN!!
I sure miss Pataki

Good guy and leader for NY
Originally Posted by CaptEdIII
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

Connecticut is not far behind either. Many states in the lib east will fall IMHO.

-Ken

Yep, and we're outnumbered here.
Originally Posted by eh76
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide

We are full whistle

+1. wink
I have enough stuff rat holed that I wont have to buy for a long time...when I do It wont be from NY
God bless those hecklers yesterday. If I wasn't working I'd have been one of 'em. I can't believe that P.O.S. had the gall to show his face around here. None of my state representatives voted for that schitt, I think only one from this entire region voted yes. The only bright spot for me this entire week was the UPS guy putting 2000 primers on the front porch. First time I ever got primers mail order and I'm surprised they got here from Natchez because I already had Midway forced to cancel an order for some Tula 7.62x39 because of this crap.
Glad he's not my governor. What a basshole.
Originally Posted by dclayton
It should also be pointed out that this is part of a larger attack on the traditional fabric of our society: so Cuomo said that this anti-gun bill was "the most important thing he's done as an elected official," along with...[drum roll]...New York's new gay marriage bill! Surprise surprise...

So he is a anti-gun c*ck sucker...
NY Gun Ban Bill Forgets to Exempt Police

January 17, 2013 by Robert Farago
TTAG

�It appears someone forgot to exempt police officers from the ban of ammunition clips with more than 7 bullets in New York State�s new gun control law, � wabc.com reports. �It�s a big oversight that apparently happened in the haste by the Cuomo Administration to get a tough package of gun-control measures signed into law.� Haste as in Cuomo somehow waiving the Constitutional requirement for a three-day waiting period between a bill�s introduction and a vote in the General Assembly . . .

The NYPD, the State Police and virtually every law enforcement agency in the state carry 9-milli-meter guns, which have a 15-round capacity. Unless an exemption is added by the time the law takes effect in March, police would technically be in violation of the new gun measure.

Technically as in actually. OK, ready?

State Senator Eric Adams, a former NYPD Captain, told us he�s going to push for an amendment next week to exempt police officers from the high-capacity magazine ban. In his words, �You can�t give more ammo to the criminals.�

Or citizens. �Technically.�
I doubt too many police departments carry 9mm anymore. NYSP carry 45Gap.
Originally Posted by Adkstalker
I sure miss Pataki

Good guy and leader for NY

Pataki was no gem. He was conservative for the first year of his first term then the size of the state govt. resumed it's growth and expanded greatly before he was out of office. He ensured his reelection by negotiating some of the public union contracts that are now sinking us. It is true that he was not nearly as bad as the ones that have followed him. What I really miss is having a viable second party in NY. With one party rule we are going to have to fight for our rights every time the legislature convenes. I don't think this is the end. It will be a constant fight.

© 24hourcampfire